HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Luongo vs. Islanders

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2004, 09:26 PM
  #1
rye&ginger
Registered User
 
rye&ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Luongo vs. Islanders

Lets in 4 goals, yet maintains a great sv% in the game? Awesome.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=240317026

rye&ginger is offline  
Old
03-17-2004, 09:55 PM
  #2
Vanya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Allston / LI
Posts: 2,475
vCash: 500
He faced 28 shots in the first period!

Vanya is offline  
Old
03-17-2004, 09:58 PM
  #3
Spaceace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: 2,000 miles from Savvis
Posts: 1,472
vCash: 500
Just think how much better he would be on a team that is ACTUALLY good???

Spaceace is offline  
Old
03-17-2004, 10:01 PM
  #4
Breck Av
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Roberto rocks. The only reason I've attended so many Panther games this year. The Panthers have blown so many lead this season, if they could have held onto a few they'd be right there with the Isles for the last playoff spot. Next season for them, I suppose.

Breck Av is offline  
Old
03-17-2004, 10:07 PM
  #5
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
He does this (most times to a lesser extent) every game. He is the glue that makes the Panthers resemble a decent hockey team. He deserves the Vezina more than any other goalie in the league.

Rattrick is offline  
Old
03-17-2004, 10:41 PM
  #6
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 26,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
Lets in 4 goals, yet maintains a great sv% in the game? Awesome.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/boxscore?gameId=240317026
Much more impressively, his team won. He gave them that chance, based on his play, especially early on. Meanwhile the younger, less experienced Dipietro looked...well...younger and inexperienced. Isles and their fans are experiencing the hot/cold, good/bad inconsistent play that usually comes with a neophyte in goal. (This rule doesn't apply in Boston apparently. ) In his last four games, Dipietro has been pulled in San Jose, solid in a 2-1 win in Anaheim, strong last night in Tampa and back to his wandering, erratic style tonight (and pulled again). Such performances will do NYI in very quickly if replicated come playoff time.

I predicted Luongo would be a Vezina Trophy candidate prior to the season, and I'm about ready to hand it to him, with a couple of weeks left in the regular season.


Last edited by Trottier: 03-17-2004 at 11:37 PM.
Trottier is offline  
Old
03-17-2004, 10:58 PM
  #7
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
And just to top it off for Mad Mike Kvasha was a -3.

Brad Tolliver is offline  
Old
03-17-2004, 11:53 PM
  #8
EaGLE1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,442
vCash: 500
The reason why his save % is impressive is because he receive 40 shot a game.
I don't think it's always good quality chances. With 30 shots on average, his save % would drop to a more normal .0920-0.925, in my opinion.

EaGLE1 is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 12:07 AM
  #9
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
The reason why his save % is impressive is because he receive 40 shot a game.
I don't think it's always good quality chances. With 30 shots on average, his save % would drop to a more normal .0920-0.925, in my opinion.
Well, your point is arguable, but definately warranted. However, there are many many quality chances per game.

Rattrick is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 12:44 AM
  #10
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
The reason why his save % is impressive is because he receive 40 shot a game.
I don't think it's always good quality chances.
Well, no, he doesn't see 40 scoring chances per game. But I'd bet that he still sees more scoring chances than any other goalie in the NHL.

This isn't rocket science, folks. Look at the team in front of him. And look at his numbers. Luongo is legit.

Jacob is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 01:06 AM
  #11
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,935
vCash: 500
Whats funny about this 50 save night for Roberto is that he did it against the team that traded him... NYI management has traded away so much talent over the years... could you imagine if he still played for them??? He's incredible... he has the ability to single handedly take a team into the playoffs... and he's still very young!

ROBERTO LUONGO

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 01:16 AM
  #12
meehan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: new york
Country: United States
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
Whats funny about this 50 save night for Roberto is that he did it against the team that traded him... NYI management has traded away so much talent over the years... could you imagine if he still played for them??? He's incredible... he has the ability to single handedly take a team into the playoffs... and he's still very young!

ROBERTO LUONGO
Yet the Panthers will again miss the playoffs and Luongo will yet again end the year with a losing record.

meehan is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 01:19 AM
  #13
Superfluous U
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: At a Stone Prison on a Hill
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
Whats funny about this 50 save night for Roberto is that he did it against the team that traded him... NYI management has traded away so much talent over the years... could you imagine if he still played for them??? He's incredible... he has the ability to single handedly take a team into the playoffs... and he's still very young!

ROBERTO LUONGO
Well, single handedly is a bit of an exaggeration, otherwise they'd be in. But he is a tremendous goalie who can dominate games. Give the Panthers a couple of years for the rest of their talent to catch up, then they could be something.

Superfluous U is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 01:26 AM
  #14
Karl Pilkington
Registered User
 
Karl Pilkington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
Yet the Panthers will again miss the playoffs and Luongo will yet again end the year with a losing record.
Obivously an exageration.. my point was tha the can carry a team better than any other player his age.. I can't imagine how good he'll be in five years...

Karl Pilkington is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 06:54 AM
  #15
MojoJojo
Registered User
 
MojoJojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
When are all the Devils fans going to come on and start talking about how many wins Brodeur has this season?

MojoJojo is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 08:37 AM
  #16
Rattrick
Registered User
 
Rattrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 12,740
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
When are all the Devils fans going to come on and start talking about how many wins Brodeur has this season?
And what he has done in the past. lol

Rattrick is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 09:15 AM
  #17
hockeyhomer99
Registered User
 
hockeyhomer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, Great State
Country: United States
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
And what he has done in the past. lol
IF Luongo is such a candidate for the Vezina, then we better add Kevin Weeks?? Sure.. Weeks has fewer losses and a better GAA, he plays for an equally sucky team, so why not him... If Luongo is even in the final running it will be a travasity.. How can a loser, regardless of how crappy his team is, even be mentioned with guys that are winning.. It would be like giving Mike Maroth the Cy Young because he struck out 200 batters.. Now he also lost 20 games but he plays for a crappy team.. Of the goalies playing 40 or more games:

Turco 32-21-13 2.04gaa .910 save
Broduer 34-23-10 2.05 .916
Nabokov 24-18-8 2.20 .922
Abieshier 30-16-9 2.08 .925
Roloson 16-16-11 1.88 .934
Raycroft 25-16-8 1.97 .929
Weeks 22-26-10 2.23 .915
Luongo 24-28-13 2.32 9.34

Here is another name.. Dewayne Roloson, granted he has 8 less wins than Luongo but he has also played 22 less games, so why not him..

Yalls boy leads in ONE catagory and he is the winner of the Vezina, for best goalie.. If he wins, that will cheapin the post season awards to the status of the all star game selection of starters.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

hockeyhomer99 is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 09:23 AM
  #18
Toonces
The beer kitty
 
Toonces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanya
He faced 28 shots in the first period!
I'd cry...

Toonces is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 10:34 AM
  #19
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Dear sweet moses the Panthers defence is pathetic. With performances like that, they'd be contending for the Ovechkin sweepstakes if it weren't for Luongo.

ehc73 is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 10:50 AM
  #20
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhomer99
IF Luongo is such a candidate for the Vezina, then we better add Kevin Weeks?? Sure.. Weeks has fewer losses and a better GAA, he plays for an equally sucky team, so why not him... If Luongo is even in the final running it will be a travasity.. How can a loser, regardless of how crappy his team is, even be mentioned with guys that are winning.. It would be like giving Mike Maroth the Cy Young because he struck out 200 batters.. Now he also lost 20 games but he plays for a crappy team.. Of the goalies playing 40 or more games:

Turco 32-21-13 2.04gaa .910 save
Broduer 34-23-10 2.05 .916
Nabokov 24-18-8 2.20 .922
Abieshier 30-16-9 2.08 .925
Roloson 16-16-11 1.88 .934
Raycroft 25-16-8 1.97 .929
Weeks 22-26-10 2.23 .915
Luongo 24-28-13 2.32 9.34

Here is another name.. Dewayne Roloson, granted he has 8 less wins than Luongo but he has also played 22 less games, so why not him..

Yalls boy leads in ONE catagory and he is the winner of the Vezina, for best goalie.. If he wins, that will cheapin the post season awards to the status of the all star game selection of starters.... :mad: :mad: :mad:
The Vezina is for the best goalie, not the goalie on the best team. I could understand your argument if we were talking about the Hart, which is supposed to go to the most valuable player, but you can't say that a goalie isn't the best because he isn't on a good team. Fact is that goalies are supposed to stop shots, and Luongo has done that at a higher percentage than any other goalie. Not that nothing else should count, but saying that he shouldn't even be in the running because he is playing on a bad team behind a young defense is ridiculous.

kasper11 is online now  
Old
03-18-2004, 10:53 AM
  #21
Schenn02
Registered User
 
Schenn02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: abroad
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
Luongo amazes me. Wow 50 shots in the game, I don't know who was given the 3 stars but I hope that he was one of them.

Schenn02 is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 11:23 AM
  #22
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 26,524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
And what he has done in the past. lol
True. Brodeur is old news, washed up, over-the-hill. Past accomplishments are meaningless when evaluating a player today.

Come to think about it, as of today, 3-18-04, Luongo hasn't proven anything. what he did last night or prior is "the past".

Trottier is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 11:25 AM
  #23
Vatican Roulette
Detroit Fan
 
Vatican Roulette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: 10 days to Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Dear sweet moses the Panthers defence is pathetic. With performances like that, they'd be contending for the Ovechkin sweepstakes if it weren't for Luongo.

they dont need too...they drafted him last year right?

Vatican Roulette is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 11:51 AM
  #24
ExplosiveLEAFman
Registered User
 
ExplosiveLEAFman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11
The Vezina is for the best goalie, not the goalie on the best team. I could understand your argument if we were talking about the Hart, which is supposed to go to the most valuable player, but you can't say that a goalie isn't the best because he isn't on a good team. Fact is that goalies are supposed to stop shots, and Luongo has done that at a higher percentage than any other goalie. Not that nothing else should count, but saying that he shouldn't even be in the running because he is playing on a bad team behind a young defense is ridiculous.

He made some good points. Luongo leads in one goalie category. His gaa and wins/losses are subpar. If he can carry Florida into the playoffs then you can make a case for him but no way should a guy be considered just because he faces a lot of shots on a bad team.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline  
Old
03-18-2004, 11:53 AM
  #25
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyhomer99
IF Luongo is such a candidate for the Vezina, then we better add Kevin Weeks?? Sure.. Weeks has fewer losses and a better GAA, he plays for an equally sucky team, so why not him... If Luongo is even in the final running it will be a travasity.. How can a loser, regardless of how crappy his team is, even be mentioned with guys that are winning.. It would be like giving Mike Maroth the Cy Young because he struck out 200 batters.. Now he also lost 20 games but he plays for a crappy team.. Of the goalies playing 40 or more games:
Main problems withv the Hurricanes is their offense not D. Their D group is pretty decen IMHO.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.