HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who does nashville pick at #11

Old
04-15-2009, 01:37 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
If we could get up to 6 or 7, a realistic shot at MSP or Evander Kane comes into play. I'd love to have either.

That said, i wouldn't mind sitting at 11, taking Schroeder, and then hoping we can snag a high-risk\high-reward guy like Andrei Kuchin that could fall into the second.
If we draft Kuchin in the second round, Poile needs his head examined. Kane and MPS are both top five picks, but Schenn will be a viable option which is just fine by me.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:36 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
If we draft Kuchin in the second round, Poile needs his head examined. Kane and MPS are both top five picks, but Schenn will be a viable option which is just fine by me.
Kuchin is a first round talent that's been subject to a bad environment in Russia. He's getting blackballed over there as a result, and it reflects upon his playing time and stats. Best of all, because of his situation, he's eager to come to NA and is unlikely to "radulov" on us.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Silhouette View Post
That's the bigger question? Honestly? Who cares if some dork from TSN interviews our pick?

Whining about the Canadian media makes us Nashville fans look exactly like that - whiners.
That was intended to be a sarcastic joke I forgot the icon sorry.

I think we should trade down to around 14th to 20th take Shore or Glennie and aquire more picks this year. This draft is close to 2003 the later rounds could really be a gold mine

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Trading up into the top 10 of the draft is a rare event. So I hope no one starts blaming Poile if it doesn't happen. Remember, what Snow did last year was pretty unorthodox. We got lucky to find a joke GM.

I haven't really been keeping up with this years draft prospects. Anyone got some good links with scouting reports?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Personally, two mid-round picks I'd like to see us make are Toni Rajala and Anders Lee.

Rajala was one of the top prospects in this class up until about the past year and a half. I'd really like to take a risk on him, get him over here and see if he can't rebound to be the star he once appeared destined to be.

Lee is a player I watched last season on FSN-Minnesota's high-school hockey coverage and was impressed. He is committed to heading to college next season and I think he could be a real sleeper pick with a couple seasons of development at the NCAA ranks.

Honestly, as for the first pick in the draft, I really think we have to put a value on drafting Schroder and do whatever necessary to acquire him as long as whatever moves necessary do not outweigh the value we place on him. I envision him becoming a star in this league in the mold of a Brian Gionta or Zach Parise and would love to see him play alongside Colin Wilson in Nashville.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:11 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Personally, two mid-round picks I'd like to see us make are Toni Rajala and Anders Lee.

Rajala was one of the top prospects in this class up until about the past year and a half. I'd really like to take a risk on him, get him over here and see if he ca on't rebound to be the star he once appeared destined to be
Rajala is an interesting case. He seems to have the skill, but watching him at the U-20s, I'm not sure he has the speed to keep up at higher levels and that may be what's holding him back more than lack of physical intensity.

Quote:
Lee is a player I watched last season on FSN-Minnesota's high-school hockey coverage and was impressed. He is committed to heading to college next season and I think he could be a real sleeper pick with a couple seasons of development at the NCAA ranks.
I trust your opinion on Lee, as it's a name I've only heard once or twice, but I'm not sure he will go quite that high. CSS has him in the 120 range, which would put him at the tail end of the fourth round. If we pick him up, it's likely to be in the third round or the early fourth, with Toronto's 4th rounder.

Old
04-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

How many picks do the Predators have???

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:48 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
11 or 12. It's the second-most in the league, behind, IIRC, the Islanders.

Old
04-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Trading up into the top 10 of the draft is a rare event. So I hope no one starts blaming Poile if it doesn't happen. Remember, what Snow did last year was pretty unorthodox. We got lucky to find a joke GM.

I haven't really been keeping up with this years draft prospects. Anyone got some good links with scouting reports?
True trading into the top 10 is not commonplace, but we would obviously be moving the number 11 pick to do so....i.e., the drop off is not nearly as big as the later picks (20-30).

04-16-2009, 02:17 AM
FinnishFlesh

Quote:
Rajala is an interesting case. He seems to have the skill, but watching him at the U-20s, I'm not sure he has the speed to keep up at higher levels and that may be what's holding him back more than lack of physical intensity.
Rajala is playing with team Finland in the U18 WC and is leading the tournament scoring with 7g+9a=16 pts in four games. He's just 2 pts away from the all time record in u18 games (by Ovechkin in -04, 14+4=18 in 8 games). Team Finland has 2 games left because they qualified directly to the semi-finals by winning their group. If Rajala keeps up scoring, he will probably be drafted already in the 1st round.

FinnishFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 04:41 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLock View Post
Rajala is playing with team Finland in the U18 WC and is leading the tournament scoring with 7g+9a=16 pts in four games. He's just 2 pts away from the all time record in u18 games (by Ovechkin in -04, 14+4=18 in 8 games). Team Finland has 2 games left because they qualified directly to the semi-finals by winning their group. If Rajala keeps up scoring, he will probably be drafted already in the 1st round.
I'm well aware of that. I'm also aware that he hung up 7 points on a Norwegian team that has no business being anywhere near North Dakota right now. That doesn't impress me at all. He hung up four more on a lousy Slovakia team. He got four points against Russia, I'll give him that one, it was a solid game on his part. He was held to ONE point against the United States. Just because he puts up huge numbers against subpar competition doesn't automatically make him an elite prospect, nor does it mean he can't be slow. I think Rajala will fall right into our draft wheelhouse in the late 30s and early 40s, if not a bit later.

And you may want to check those records again, because Ovechkin didn't play in the 2004 U18 tournament, likely because he was 19. He did, however, play in the tournament at 16, back in 2002, and scored not just against the bad teams, but against the good teams as well - namely Canada (Russia hung up 8 on them that year) and a decent Czech team. He was also a goal-per-game player at the U20 level the year before he was drafted, while Rajala was so elusive this year that he eluded most of the spectators.

Old
04-16-2009, 07:13 AM
FinnishFlesh

Yes, I meant -02 of course. Rajala was the best Finnish player in the U20 WC, but the overall performance of Team Finland was the worst ever in that level (mostly because of the terrible defence).

There has always been tourist teams in this level, but nobody has had this kind of ppg before (since -99). And I wouldn't say that Rajala is "slow", skating is one of his strengths with stickhandling. Anyways, if Rajala continues to produce in the later rounds of U18 against the better opponents, it would surely lift his future draft number (which is currently somewhere in the mid 2nd round as you mentioned), close to even 1st round.

FinnishFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 07:44 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Nashville's 1st
Nashville's 2nd
Minnesota's 2nd
Nashville's 3rd
Ottawa's 3rd
Toronto's 4th
Nashville's 4th
Ranger's 4th
Nashville's 5th
Carolina's 5th
Nashville's 7th
Philly's 7th

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 07:54 AM
RollingPredFan

Man we got a boatload of picks. Prospects are cool but I hope maybe Poile uses some of them to trade for an established player.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
Man we got a boatload of picks. Prospects are cool but I hope maybe Poile uses some of them to trade for an established player.
not gonna happen in this economy, I hope we package a couple of those picks to move up in the draft though

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 03:47 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. They can't all be "yes sir, no sir" especially when your team lacks a bruiser\animal like what Kassian brings.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
justthefacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Rajala was one of the top prospects in this class up until about the past year and a half. I'd really like to take a risk on him, get him over here and see if he can't rebound to be the star he once appeared destined to be.

Honestly, as for the first pick in the draft, I really think we have to put a value on drafting Schroder and do whatever necessary to acquire him as long as whatever moves necessary do not outweigh the value we place on him. I envision him becoming a star in this league in the mold of a Brian Gionta or Zach Parise and would love to see him play alongside Colin Wilson in Nashville.
Lee is a mid-round sleeper, who this year decided to pursue hockey vs. football. Will play a year in USHL in Green Bay and then head to Notre Dame. Here are some interesting video links.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/34618994.html

http://www.truveo.com/Crashing-the-n.../id/3071879270

http://espanol.video.yahoo.com/watch/4568266/12230900

justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
IrishIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
Lee is a mid-round sleeper, who this year decided to pursue hockey vs. football. Will play a year in USHL in Green Bay and then head to Notre Dame. Here are some interesting video links.
Lee is the 118th rated North American skater according to the NHL pre-draft rankings. So, it may be a bit of a reach to take him in a middle round.

IrishIce is offline   Reply With Quote