HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Central Europe
Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

Slovak National Team (Olympics, WHC, Deutschland Cup, Friendlies etc.)

Old
12-12-2009, 05:19 PM
gaborikowns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
And Staňa made 40 saves out of 41 on Thursday, IMO you have to take the league he plays into account, the way Lasak plays in the Extraliga, young Hudacek could play that and itīs not becasuse Hudacek is something special.
If you are deciding based on stats from a half season, sure. Might as well take Stana. Im sticking by Lasak because he is a good friend of mine : )

gaborikowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaborikowns View Post
If you are deciding based on stats from a half season, sure. Might as well take Stana. Im sticking by Lasak because he is a good friend of mine : )
I spoke to Jaroslav Janus last January. If it was up to me, he would be the third goalie.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
I spoke to Jaroslav Janus last January. If it was up to me, he would be the third goalie.
That could be a good choice as well. He looks to be the bright spot in Slovak goaltending and his making the trip with the team could do wonders for him to watch Budaj and Halak. Theres no reason to bring someone like Stana along. Stana is done growing, he's not going to get any better and never going to be a big factor in Slovak National Hockey beside the WCs. Janus very well could be the starter in Sochi in 2014. But sadly I think Flic will make the bad choice.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Kamzik

We are just hours away now from the return of Zigmund Palffy to team Slovakia. The Czechs are sending a young team, with more experienced players held back until the Channel One Cup. I wonder what the crowd will be like in Kosice.

Old
12-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Kamzik

Perhaps it shouldn't be a major surprise that Slovakia lost to the Czechs today. The Zednik-Stumpel-Palffy line produced two goals and did their job. The topic at hand are the other players who are apparently fighting for Olympic spots. I think it was a good day for Tomas Kopecky and Marek Svatos.

Old
12-15-2009, 02:52 PM
vlady

Quote:
Perhaps it shouldn't be a major surprise that Slovakia lost to the Czechs today. The Zednik-Stumpel-Palffy line produced two goals and did their job. The topic at hand are the other players who are apparently fighting for Olympic spots. I think it was a good day for Tomas Kopecky and Marek Svatos.
i was really pissed about this loss. how can we lose to a selection of czech upstarts (with the expection of Marek and maybe a handful of others)? I have only seen the last two periods and we should have won. What worries me, is that once again I didnt see the effort from most of the players. I had a feeling I was watching the game in slo-mo.

The first line was dominant though, which is a good sign. I also liked Sejna.

vlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:45 PM
gaborikowns

Jan Lasak stopped 28 of 30 shots for Atlant in a 4-2 victory over Avangard Omsk in the KHL today. He arrived yesterday and suited up in his first game in Russia since being signed on a temporary contract while Atlant is without Martin Gerber.
Nice to see Jano step it up against some much better competition than he was facing in SVK.

gaborikowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 08:23 AM
slovakiasnextone

Filc clearly said that he was absolutely disappointed in both goalies in the NT games. I think it doesnīt matter how the play with their teams anymore. Iīm with Kamzik about Janus on this one tbh.

Ona way better note Jaro Halák has started the last 3 games for Montreal making 123 saves out of 127 shots, hopefully heīll get hot like this around the OG as well.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Kamzik

Nice seeing Pavol Demitra back on the ice. So far in the first period he is skating well. In terms of his shoulder he made a nice pass which Wellwood wasn't ready for, and had a dangerous shot that just went a little wide of the net. He's looked good all things considering, he along with the rehab staff in Banska Bystrica must be very pleased.

Branko Radivojevic had two goals against the Víťjaz Čechov goons. I'm reluctant to celebrate as I know how Branko immediately disappears the moment he puts on a Slovak sweater.

Old
01-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Those looking for National Team gear in North America, Icejerseys.com got some new shirts in.

http://www.icejerseys.com/item_detai...le.php?id=8703

They also have the scarf but only have the jersey in XXL. (Well, atleast it's selling.)

Old
01-23-2010, 02:57 PM
slovakiasnextone

Just now I noticed that we donīt have the info about Ivan Baranka replacing Richard Lintner on the OG roster.

Old
01-27-2010, 01:18 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Q & A with Flic

1. In what way is it significant that Canada will be hosting the 2010 Olympic Games?

It's always very important for any sport when the orginizing country is the world biggest country in the sport. There is no doubt about the position of Canada in this matter.

2. Considering the caliber of play among Canadian teams, what do you anticipate as being Team Canada's particular strengths?

Playing home or away Canada belongs always [among a] couple of candidates for the finals.

3. Slovakia was said not to have wanted a win as much as Czech in the last Olympics. How has this claim informed the team's approach to the upcoming Games?

We will meet strong Czechs in our first game of the tournament and we hope to prepare our team mentally to avoid claims of similar nature.

4. What dynamic do you expect to see between Slovakia and Czech in the first game?

Please, understand that - as a coach - I can hardly tell to media 2 months ahead about how this important game will be played.

5. Slovakia performed beyond expectations in 2006 by winning all games in their pool - what is the objective for 2010?

This tournament will have completeley different formula, thus we have to focus on the most important moments leading to participation in qurterfinals in the best possible position.

6. Does Team Slovakia consider Zdeno Chara one of the best defencemen in the Olympic tournament? What is the likelihood that he will be the Olympic team's captain?

Of course, Zdeno belongs to the basic stones of our team and most likely he will wear the "C" jersey.

7. How does Team Slovakia expect that Marion Gaborik's strong performance in the NHL this season will help at the Games?

We hope that Marian will be one of the strongest players not only in our team but in the whole tournament and his goals will help us to achieve our goals.

8. How will the smaller NHL-sized rinks at the Games effect the nature of competitions?

It seems to be big advantage of teams composed of players with NHL experience.

9. What specific expertise does Peter Bondra bring to the team?

Peter's long-time experience with the NHL is helping to our coaching staff to better understand the way...the game is played and the teams are managed in North America.

10. What's Team Slovakia's long-term goal for developing hockey beyond 2010?

Slovakia - namely cities Bratislava and Kosice - will organize the World Chamionships in 2011 and we all hope the good result of our team in Vancouver along with succesful Worlds will bring positive [impetus] to furher ice hockey development - particularily for future generations.

Old
02-01-2010, 05:32 AM
slovakiasnextone

Finally, some pretty good news for team Slovakia:
After struggling, Marián Gáborík is back now and in big fshion with a hattrick against the Avs:

Jaroslav Halák continues his strong form this season and even though he has lost his last game he played very good and it will be interesting to see whether he is given the chance to start the next game or whether it will be Price once again.

I watched the 2nd and 3rd period of Dveils-Kings yesterday and Michal Handzuš had a pretty strong game and as a bonus even scored the Kings first goal, if he plays like he did yesterday in the OG I will be more than happy.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Kamzik

I posted this in the Olympics group but I fear it will be lost in the clutter. So I post it here if anyone is interested.

Here are my rankings for the Slovak roster. I used the Slovak marking system, 1 is the best mark and 5 is the worst. A lot of good marks, but afterall this team was top 4.

1. Pavol Demitra. Never would I have predicted in a million years that he would lead the Olympics in scoring and end up on the IIHF Media All-Star Team. I didn’t think he had this effort left in him. I was very wrong.

1. Marian Hossa. Given the way he plays at both ends of the ice, how dangerous he was on both PK and PP, his size, how hard it is to take the puck away from him, it could be argued he is the best player Slovakia has ever produced.

1. Zdeno Chara. He was a great captain. I like how he directed things on ice, grabbing Meszaros and giving him instructions. When he sent Henrik Tallinder flying over the boards versus Sweden in the first period, it was like a message that SVK was not afraid of Sweden. If only he could play 60 minutes.

2. Jaroslav Halak. He was solid. He always looked calm, and was nearly always well positioned. A .910 SVS%, he didn’t steal any games for SVK but still gave them their best goaltending performance in a long time.

2. Michal Handzus. The only Slovak centre who won more faceoffs than he lost. Michal is a horse. He was a big reason why the PK was so good until the last game. I loved the one time where he was lying on his stomach and cleared the puck all the way to the opposition end with his glove.

2. Riso Zednik. Would never have predicted this but he was great! He seemed just as fast as when he was in his prime. I wasn’t sure he should have been included on the team, how stupid of me.

2. Milan Jurcina. I feel that Milan had a very good tournament. He was dependable, used his size, and blocked shots. Very solid.

2. Lubomir Visnovsky. Very talented defenceman, not surprising he had a good tournament. He wasn’t on the first PP unit which decreased his point total. He also wasn't feeling well some games as has since been revealed.

2. Marian Gaborik. Team leader in goals. Was obviously not 100 percent. His speed was reduced, though there were a few games where he was flying (i.e. Latvia). His hands are so good though that he still found ways to score goals.

2. Tomas Kopecky. I really like Tomas. In the first two periods versus Canada he was the only SVK player working. I said very early on before the Olympics to move him to the top line with skilled players cause he is big and works hard. People called me crazy, but it happened and he scored the goal that sent the defending gold medalists home.

3. Jozef Stumpel. I thought he was very good in the prelim, then tailed off. Age seemed to catch up with him and later on he had difficulties keeping up with his linemates which is not good considering one was injured and the other old. As I say though, there were some early games where he was excellent.

3. Andrej Meszaros. I don’t know about this guy. Sometimes it seems to me that he is very talented but has no brain. Playing with Chara certainly helped, and he looked good most of the time.

3. Andrej Sekera. Another player I really like. Great skater, sometimes thinks he is a forward. He made the Slovak counterattack even more dangerous when he joined the rush, and it worked once for a huge goal when he charged towards the next with Richard Zednik. Has considerable problems defensively.

3. Martin Strbak. I thought all things considered he had a pretty good Olympics. Few wanted him on the team but he certainly didn’t embarrass himself.

3. Miroslav Satan. I would give him a worse mark except that he scored a very important goal versus Norway. I thought the third line to me seemed much better when Bartecko was on it instead of Miro (i.e. versus Russia). I think time has passed him by.

3. Branko Radivojevic. He had a few good shifts. In particular the shift before the Kopecky goal. The entire fourth line was working very hard cycling the puck and you could just tell a Slovak goal was coming.

4. Zigmund Palffy. I defended him early on cause I thought versus the Czechs he looked OK. It seemed to get worse though as the tournament progressed. Zigmund has nothing left to offer and it is really doubtful he will ever again wear a Slovak uniform. He came back to the national team too late.

4. Martin Cibak. He didn’t play much, and in his few minutes still managed sometimes to take penalties.

5. Marcel Hossa. A very bad advert for the quality of the KHL. Not sure what kind of a league that is if this guy is getting so many goals.

NR: Ivan Baranka, Lubos Bartecko

Old
03-01-2010, 03:02 AM
slovakiasnextone

According to Šport there is a pretty big chance that Slovakia will have a new Canadian coach already for the World Championships in Germany. Filc contract is however until June 2010. IMO would be a very smart move from Filc to leave right now, considering that people over here seem to forget very fast in shadow of "succes" if he leaves now theyīre gonn associate him with the OG rather than the recent WHC, but an another disastrous WHC wouldnīt help him much.

A great time of one generation is over and now itīs time for a rebuild. Iīd rather see a non-Slovak coach that doesnīt have any ties to any Slovak team or Slovak hockey do it.

Anyway, now that the Olympics is over, the World Hockey Championship are in less than two months. Our shedule before the WHC:

16.04. Czech republic-Slovakia
17.04. Czech republic-Slovakia
4 Nations Tournament in Minsk, Belarus 21.04.-24.04.
Belarus-Slovakia
Germany-Slovakia
Switzerland-Slovakia
02.05. Slovakia-Latvia
03.05. Slovakia-Latvia

Old
03-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
What do you guys think of my review of the Olympic Games?

http://blazeandborsch.wordpress.com/

Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 04:53 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Volchenkov View Post

Very nice article IMO.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Kamzik

Quote:

I don't agree with what you wrote about Strbak. He was blocking shots, not making too many mistakes, and most importantly no stupid penalties. He essentially did what was expected of him. I also don't agree with what you wrote about Meszaros. I mean he wasn't fantastic, but he wasn't on the first or second powerplay unit so expecting offence from him is not reasonable. These are just minor disagreements though.

I don't agree that Tomas Tatar is the only prospect that SVK has with potential of becoming a legitimate NHL player. There is even one that has more potential upside if he improves his attitude.

Old
03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Kamzik

With regards to the upcoming World Championships in Germany, it is quite obvious that the team can expect minimal NHL help as well as KHL help from older players. Those guys worked so hard in the Olympics that Jan Filc, Andy Murray, or whoever the coach is, shouldn't even bother asking those who have yet announced retirement from the national team.

Below is the team I would put together. I realize they won't win anything, their goal would be to make the QF. All they could do is surprise. The roster is subject to availability, I realize not all these guys will be available, so I added a couple extras.

C.
Martin Cibak
Roman Kukumberg
Peter Sejna
Juraj Mikus
Marek Zagrapan
Tomas Bulik

W.
Juraj Kolnik
Marcel Hossa
Stefan Ruzicka
Tomas Tatar
Marek Svatos
Lubos Bartecko
Branko Radivojevic
Mario Bliznak
Milan Bartovic
Peter Olvecky
Rudolf Huna

D.
Milan Jurcina
Ivan Baranka
Jaroslav Obsut
Dominik Granak
Boris Valabik
Peter Podhradsky
Juraj Mikus
Vladimir Mihalik

G.
Peter Budaj
Rasto Stana
Jaroslav Janus
Branislav Konrad

Last edited by Kamzik: 03-01-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old
03-02-2010, 04:10 AM
Tatanik

Send a message via MSN to Tatanik
Quote:
I don't agree with what you wrote about Strbak. He was blocking shots, not making too many mistakes, and most importantly no stupid penalties. He essentially did what was expected of him. I also don't agree with what you wrote about Meszaros. I mean he wasn't fantastic, but he wasn't on the first or second powerplay unit so expecting offence from him is not reasonable. These are just minor disagreements though.

I don't agree that Tomas Tatar is the only prospect that SVK has with potential of becoming a legitimate NHL player. There is even one that has more potential upside if he improves his attitude.
I think I went a bit over the top on Strbak on reflection. It was just that whenever we conceded a big goal, it always seemed to be that Strbak was on the ice, and lets face it, he is a big dude, and his mobility and use of that size seemed to be in question. I'm talking about goals like Elias' deflection and then the breakaway he gave Jokinen to score the Finns 4th goal.

I think that as a whole, Slovakia missed a whole lot of points from the defence. Whilst this was partly to be expected due to the type of game that Filc would make them play, but guys like Meszaros, Strbak, Visnovsky and Chara should've really got more points than they did. Lubo with 3 points was our top contributor from the blueline, and it was really quite disappointing.

Tatanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
I think I went a bit over the top on Strbak on reflection. It was just that whenever we conceded a big goal, it always seemed to be that Strbak was on the ice, and lets face it, he is a big dude, and his mobility and use of that size seemed to be in question. I'm talking about goals like Elias' deflection and then the breakaway he gave Jokinen to score the Finns 4th goal.

I think that as a whole, Slovakia missed a whole lot of points from the defence. Whilst this was partly to be expected due to the type of game that Filc would make them play, but guys like Meszaros, Strbak, Visnovsky and Chara should've really got more points than they did. Lubo with 3 points was our top contributor from the blueline, and it was really quite disappointing.
Fair enough. Don't forget though that Pavol Demitra was a defenceman on the first powerplay unit. I think Sekera was trying, he could be described as a rover. He was joining the rush, often looked like a forward. It only worked once though, albeit a very important goal.

Old
03-19-2010, 08:49 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
With regards to the upcoming World Championships in Germany, it is quite obvious that the team can expect minimal NHL help as well as KHL help from older players. Those guys worked so hard in the Olympics that Jan Filc, Andy Murray, or whoever the coach is, shouldn't even bother asking those who have yet announced retirement from the national team.

Below is the team I would put together. I realize they won't win anything, their goal would be to make the QF. All they could do is surprise. The roster is subject to availability, I realize not all these guys will be available, so I added a couple extras.

C.
Martin Cibak
Not very impressed with him at the OG. Sometimes I have the feeling that the sole reason he plays for the NT is his SC ring.
Roman Kukumberg
Has been pretty quite since he was traded, but through the season on the NT he has shown that he is invitation worthy.
Peter Sejna
Should be invited, but I think he didnīt answer the call last year, is he gonna this time around? Also, not very impressed with him in the friendlies, but then again who was impressive?
Juraj Mikus
Absolutely not. A player who is doing in the AHL like he currently is, is not good enough for the NT. Furthermore over the two year he had been playing with Palffy, he got tons and tons of opportunities on the national team compared to other young players and what has he shown? Nothing. Time to give the opportunity to others.
Marek Zagrapan
I donīt think so. He has hardly been playing in the KHL and has like 1 point in I donīt know how many games. Should probably change the league.
Tomas Bulik
Top young forward in the league this year. He was good enough last year already, letīs give him a look whether he has gotten ridden of the habit of drawing too many calls at the international level. Thatīs the No. 1 reason why he didnīt make it last year.

Missing:
TomᚠZáborský- He has been playing 20+ minutes in the Finnish league and performing rather well in 2010, heīs 22 and center has always been our weakest spot.

W.
Juraj Kolnik
Can he play like he does in NLA at the WHC as well? Should be there despite having a weaker year than last year.
Marcel Hossa
Heīll never be nearly as good as Majo, but the fact remains that he is a tiny little bit over PPG at the last two WHC even though he is frustrating to watch.
Stefan Ruzicka
If weīre going rebuild, pretty much a lock. My question is, will our sleeping beauty awaken in May at last?
Tomas Tatar
Last year was too late. Though heīs a scratch in the AHL too often lately.
Marek Svatos
Really? Just because you are an NHL player does not mean youīre good enough for the WHC. Never had much passion for the national team either. iīd really prefer some of the youngsters getting time over him. Isnīt Colorado in the play-offs anyway?
Lubos Bartecko
Will he come? Also if heīs comming, I think heīll play center in the NT.
Branko Radivojevic
Not a fan of him at all in the last two years.
Mario Bliznak
Maybe as the 4th line center if we try him.
Milan Bartovic
One of the very few CZE league guys Iīd invite.
Peter Olvecky
Same as Bliznak. Only if they show something in the preparation games. He got on the team last year, because he was playing the NHL and he was not anywhere good enough to play in the WHC.
Rudolf Huna
Heīs probably gonna get the invite, play a few friendlies and will be sent home like every year.

Missing:
Richarda Panik- If he plays good in his short stint in the AHL, why not? He has outperformed Tatar at the WJC, so if Tomas gets the nod, Panik could too. Bondra is gonna have a look at him. If we go experimental like Filc has been promosing, Iīd take him. Though depends on Norfolk and the AHL play-offs as well.
Maybe some other guys for SVK will get the invite, i.e. one of the younger Hunaīs or Bartanus or Roman Tomanek, who has been having a pretty great year alongside Bulik and Pardavy.

D.
Milan Jurcina
Yes, but WSH are a 100% in the play-offs.
Ivan Baranka
Yup.
Jaroslav Obsut
Yeah.
Dominik Granak
Letīs see whether he plays as he does in SEL in friendlies and decide then. Probably yes.
Boris Valabik
Similar to Granak, but I hope not. Not on Euro ice. We will be playing a lot on the PK even without him already.
Peter Podhradsky
Didnīt he retire from the NT?
Juraj Mikus
Vladimir Mihalik
Maybe, but not without trying them first. Also Mikus has not been playing for the Marlies lately. Also it will depend on the situation in the AHL play-offs.

G.
Peter Budaj
Rasto Stana
Jaroslav Janus
Branislav Konrad
I donīt know about Budaj, he has not played that much this year and just like with Svatos ainīt COL in the play-offs? Stana , well okay. Janus- whatīs the status on his injury and just like with Panik and Mihalik, Norfolk in the AHL play-offs. As for Konrad, Iīd prefer Hudacek over him. Knrad has finished the season with better stats in the regular season, but that is way more due to the fact that Slovanīs deffense>>>>Košiceīs deffense. Over the years, Hudacek has always been the better out of these two and he has been superior in the play-offs so far as well, though he has played less games. Maybe we can try them both, maybe not now, but during next season. Also if Montreal wonīt be in the PO or doesnīt make it past round 1, I can see easily Halak comming to the WHC.
Something like this.

Old
03-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Where did Ivan Majeský fall off the earth to? He still in Sweden?

Old
03-19-2010, 01:52 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Where did Ivan Majeský fall off the earth to? He still in Sweden?
Yes still there. Please do not mention his name in this thread. 2006 was about enough.

Majesky-Mezei that pairing is still giving me some horrible nightmares.

Old
03-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Martin Cibak
Not very impressed with him at the OG. Sometimes I have the feeling that the sole reason he plays for the NT is his SC ring.
One cannot set unreasonable expectations for fourth line players, and the fourth line for Slovakia certainly did their job. My favourite moment was the game against Sweden how prior to the Kopecky goal, Hossa/Cibak/Radivojevic were cycling the puck to the right of Lundqvist for what seemed like an eternity. It was brilliant.

Quote:
Peter Sejna
Should be invited, but I think he didnīt answer the call last year, is he gonna this time around?
He did agree to be on the Olympic taxi squad, which meant commitment and a period of Olympic drug testing. His refusal to WC09 was I believe because of the birth of a child.

Anyhow, you have said Zaborsky over Zagrapan/Mikus or shifting Bartecko to centre if he comes; either suggestion is fair and I have no problem with that.

Quote:
Marek Svatos
Really? Just because you are an NHL player does not mean youīre good enough for the WHC. Never had much passion for the national team either. iīd really prefer some of the youngsters getting time over him. Isnīt Colorado in the play-offs anyway?
Yes, Colorado is so young I have predicted an early playoff exit. He is a dangerous little player and if he was given a regular shift and PP time, he would score goals. Perhaps he has never shown much on the NT, but he had one of the greatest Slovak performances in the WJCU20. I forget the year, but he was a tournament all-star, the last one until Janus I think.

Quote:
Milan Jurcina
Yes, but WSH are a 100% in the play-offs.
Sorry, he was a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets when I wrote this.

Quote:
Juraj Mikus
Vladimir Mihalik
Maybe, but not without trying them first. Also Mikus has not been playing for the Marlies lately. Also it will depend on the situation in the AHL play-offs.
Mihalik is not far from the NHL. No worries about Mikus and the playoffs, the Marlies are quite far. Juraj has exceeded expectations in Toronto and put together a fine first year. He hasn't played in the past few games due to injury.