HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Central Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

Slovak National Team (Olympics, WHC, Deutschland Cup, Friendlies etc.)

Old
03-19-2010, 07:11 PM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
One cannot set unreasonable expectations for fourth line players, and the fourth line for Slovakia certainly did their job. My favourite moment was the game against Sweden how prior to the Kopecky goal, Hossa/Cibak/Radivojevic were cycling the puck to the right of Lundqvist for what seemed like an eternity. It was brilliant.

He did agree to be on the Olympic taxi squad, which meant commitment and a period of Olympic drug testing. His refusal to WC09 was I believe because of the birth of a child.

Anyhow, you have said Zaborsky over Zagrapan/Mikus or shifting Bartecko to centre if he comes; either suggestion is fair and I have no problem with that.

Yes, Colorado is so young I have predicted an early playoff exit. He is a dangerous little player and if he was given a regular shift and PP time, he would score goals. Perhaps he has never shown much on the NT, but he had one of the greatest Slovak performances in the WJCU20. I forget the year, but he was a tournament all-star, the last one until Janus I think.

Sorry, he was a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets when I wrote this.

Mihalik is not far from the NHL. No worries about Mikus and the playoffs, the Marlies are quite far. Juraj has exceeded expectations in Toronto and put together a fine first year. He hasn't played in the past few games due to injury.
Come on. Be realistic, please. He is currently not playing good enough to be on the 4th line, what reason would they have to give him PP time? The WJC was a long time ago. He always has something during the WHC, so even if he should get the call , I wouldn´t bet my money on him comming. And I believe that a player should do at least something during the season to make the national team.

And Valabik is in the NHL and still sucked at the last WHC. I have no problem with Mihalik and Mikus the D for that matter getting the chance, I´ve been pretty clear that I always liked Mihalik better than Valabik, I just want to avoid a situation like last year with both Olvecky and Valabik, who made the team last year without playing any exhibition games just because they were NHL players even though they weren´t good enough for such a level of hockey like the WHC is.

Anyway, a bit too many injuries of Slovak players in the AHL lately, Janus, Mikus and Tatar.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 03:25 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
Come on. Be realistic, please. He is currently not playing good enough to be on the 4th line, what reason would they have to give him PP time?
I believe you are completely off with Svatos. He was decent again tonight, 4 shots in about 10 minutes of play. I didn`t mean to say Colorado should use him on the PP, I meant that Glen Hanlon should use him on the Slovak PP. In the past you have called Kopecky useless. I fear that Olvecky has left you with a feeling that all 4th line NHL guys are terrible, but if you watch closely you can see that some guys just need opportunity to show what they are capable of.

Speaking of useless, Severstaľ Čerepovec cut Marek Zagrapan. I said he would lead Slovak players in KHL goal scoring this year. I really got that one right. Glen Hanlon might want to take a look, but I doubt he will find much use for Marek. Also Juraj Kolnik has damaged his knee. Not sure how long he will be out for but that isn`t good news for SVK.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:26 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I believe you are completely off with Svatos. He was decent again tonight, 4 shots in about 10 minutes of play. I didn`t mean to say Colorado should use him on the PP, I meant that Glen Hanlon should use him on the Slovak PP. In the past you have called Kopecky useless. I fear that Olvecky has left you with a feeling that all 4th line NHL guys are terrible, but if you watch closely you can see that some guys just need opportunity to show what they are capable of.

Speaking of useless, Severstaľ Čerepovec cut Marek Zagrapan. I said he would lead Slovak players in KHL goal scoring this year. I really got that one right. Glen Hanlon might want to take a look, but I doubt he will find much use for Marek. Also Juraj Kolnik has damaged his knee. Not sure how long he will be out for but that isn`t good news for SVK.
I disagree with you about Svatoš, but I am hoping you prove me wrong just like you did with Kopecký, because that would only mean good for Slovak hockey. Though one more question is, will he even want to play some more hockey after his bad season in Colorado is over? Things like that usually take a lot of hockey apetit.

As for Zagrapan. He was doing rather well at the beginning of the season. Just like you are telling me not to give up on guys like Svatos, why not look behind Zagrapan´s struggle us well? Back in November, he played one period at the Deutschland Cup before getting the flu. He was sick for a month, but despite that they made him play after only two weeks, he wanted to get healthy first , but this wsn´t accepted in Cherepovets. He also had disagreements with the coach probably also because of the flu thing. Since the start of 2010 he´s been doing way more bench warming in Severstal than being on ice, it´s hard to collect points like that. I really doubt that "uselessness" was the only reason Severstal got rid of him, I mean come one they´ve had Nagy for two years and they´re still keeping him, at least Zagrapan has some future potential compared to him. I think Zagrapan should look outside of Russia for next season, somewhere with more hman conditions. Finland did wonders to Zaborsky, maybe it can to Zagrapan as well.

Btw one more player that wasn´t mentioned by ybou as a candidate for the WHC has popped into my mind. Slovan´s D Michal Sersen. I think it´s very likely he is on Filc´s 35 list. If it wasn´t for his injury, he might have already been there in 2009. I mean in December 2008 everything was going great for him, he was one of the top D in the league and he was in my opinion the best D in SVK´s game against SUI in December compared to pretty much all of our European D. Then he was injured in January and out until October, which ahs caused a slow start for him this year, but he has back on top form in the PO. He was already in the 2008 WHC preparations, it´a 2010 today, so I think it is about time he got to showcase himself on the big stage as well.

Old
04-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Kamzik

So Bartecko is out. Today he said he won't play in the 2010 World Championships. Thought he might consider after playing 3.3 games at the Winter Olympics.

So that leaves Hanlon the centres we discussed earlier: Cibak, Kukumberg, Bulik, Sejna, and perhaps less likely Zaborsky, Hujsa, Zagrapan, and Mikus.

Old
04-02-2010, 12:58 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
So Bartecko is out. Today he said he won't play in the 2010 World Championships. Thought he might consider after playing 3.3 games at the Winter Olympics.

So that leaves Hanlon the centres we discussed earlier: Cibak, Kukumberg, Bulik, Sejna, and perhaps less likely Zaborsky, Hujsa, Zagrapan, and Mikus.
One down, another 34 to go off the list. Just like in recent years they will probably go down quickly.

EDIT: Lol, just as I wrote it, Lubo Visnovsky joins Bartecko.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 04-02-2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old
04-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
One down, another 34 to go off the list. Just like in recent years they will probably go down quickly.

EDIT: Lol, just as I wrote it, Lubo Visnovsky joins Bartecko.
It is stupid they are being asked in the first place: 1. The same 15 guys can't do everything for SVK hockey, others have to step up, 2. During an Olympic year the World Championships just don't have the same meaning. Time to test younger guys! I read that Gaborik is probably going to go which is OK. He is young and has missed so many Worlds in the past. Tampa probably won't let Andrej Meszaros go because he has a collection of small injuries.

Last edited by Kamzik: 04-02-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old
04-02-2010, 02:33 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
It is stupid they are being asked in the first place: 1. The same 15 guys can't do everything for SVK hockey, others have to step up, 2. During an Olympic year the World Championships just don't have the same meaning. Time to test younger guys!
In a way I both agree and disagree with you. It´s true that it´s time for the next generation etc. But we can´t send a young only team or even a junior team like some suggest. The kids need at least some guidance, it makes them a hell of a lot better. Just think of 2008 WHC and the Visnovsky-Sekera pairing, up to this date those games are the best I´ve seen Andrej play for Slovakia.

Old
04-05-2010, 05:32 PM
slovakiasnextone

Enter Glen Hanlon Part 1: Development camp

Rastislav Staňa (Severstaľ Cherepovets/KHL) 10.01.1980
Peter Hamerlík (HC Oceláři Třínec/CZE) 02.01.1982

Ivan Švárny (HC Litvínov/CZE) 30.10.1984
Peter Frühauf (HC 05 Banská Bystrica) 15.08.1982
Juraj Valach (HKM Zvolen/SVK) 01.02.1989
Peter Gründling (HK 36 Skalica/SVK) 13.02.1987
Ján Brejčák (HK ŠKP Poprad/SVK) 29.06.1989

Marek Zagrapan (Severstaľ Cherepovets/KHL) 06.12.1986
Tomáš Jaško (SaiPa/FEL) 09.12.1983
Roman Tománek (HC 05 Banská Bystrica/SVK) 28.01.1986
Tomáš Bulík (HC 05 Banská Bystrica/SVK) 27.08.1985
Miroslav Zálešák (HK 36 Skalica/SVK) 02.01.1980
Patrik Lušňák (HK 36 Skalica/SVK) 06.11.1988
Tomáš Záborský (Assat Pori/FEL) 14.11.1987
Marcel Haščák (HK ŠKP Poprad/SVK) 03.02.1987
Dávid Buc (HK ŠKP Poprad/SVK) 22.01.1987
Radoslav Tybor (HK Dukl Trenčín/SVK) 23.11.1989
Tibor Radulay (HK Dukla Trenčín/SVK) 06.01.1988
Marek Bartánus (MHK 32 Liptovský Mikuláš/SVK) 13.02.1987
Michal Chovan (HKM Zvolen/SVK) 23.11.1987

-the first "minikemp" is starting today on April 6th with these players, as you can see it is more of a development camp than a real camp with only the assistant coaches present (real thing will start on April 13th with Glen Hanlon)
-I see only Staňa, Záborský, Bulík and maybe Švárny as real possibilities at the WHC this year from this roster
-both Bondra and Hanlon have been following Slovak players in the AHL
- according to Peter Bondra at the szlh.sk website, Zdeno Chára will play in Germany if available
- Hospodárske Noviny also claim Marián Gáborík has said a yes if available to Hanlon
-Demitra has joined Bartečko and Višňovský due to family reasons, but Šport claims it´s not a settled matter yet and there will be more talks to come
- Sport furthermore reports that Tomáš Tatar will take part in the WHC preparations in the article that reports about this minicamp

Old
04-06-2010, 08:45 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
- according to Peter Bondra at the szlh.sk website, Zdeno Chára will play in Germany if available
- Hospodárske Noviny also claim Marián Gáborík has said a yes if available to Hanlon
After tonight the New York Rangers are finished, the teams in front of them must lose the rest of their games. So we can see if Gaborik is really coming or not. Chara is in the playoffs so if he comes it will have to be after the first round.

Old
04-08-2010, 12:14 PM
vlady

Quote:
After tonight the New York Rangers are finished, the teams in front of them must lose the rest of their games. So we can see if Gaborik is really coming or not. Chara is in the playoffs so if he comes it will have to be after the first round.
Not so fast. They play the last two games against Flyers. If they win both games and at least one of them in regulation they are sure to make the playoffs. One thing that plays against them is that Gaborik sucked against the Flyers this season (0 points). Pronger really has his number.

vlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlady View Post
Not so fast. They play the last two games against Flyers. If they win both games and at least one of them in regulation they are sure to make the playoffs. One thing that plays against them is that Gaborik sucked against the Flyers this season (0 points). Pronger really has his number.
It was much much closer than I thought. Too bad. Not sure why the Rangers coach picked Jokinen for the "do or die" shootout over Gaborik. Oh well. Anyhow if Marian really wants to play in the Worlds, he can come over at any time now.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:21 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
It was much much closer than I thought. Too bad. Not sure why the Rangers coach picked Jokinen for the "do or die" shootout over Gaborik. Oh well. Anyhow if Marian really wants to play in the Worlds, he can come over at any time now.
Well, maybe because Gaborik actually sucked at shootouts in the NHL the whole year. I remember people asking why he wasn´t between the first shoter against Russia at the OG etc. and when he was choosen later he did nothing.

As for Gabby and WHC, well nothing against him, but since it´s him I´ll wait until I see him on the ice in Germany to believe that he will play there. Especially after last year.

Old
04-12-2010, 02:01 PM
slovakiasnextone

Goalies:
Rastislav Staňa (Severstal Čerepovec/KHL) 10.01.1980
Peter Hamerlík (HC Oceláři Třinec/CZE) 02.01.1982

Deffense:

Dominik Graňák (Rögle BK,SEL) 11.06.1983
René Vydarený (Sparta Praha/CZE) 06.05.1981
Tomáš Starosta (Neftechimik Nižnekamsk/KHL) 20.05.1981
Richard Lintner (Dinamo Minsk/KHL) 15.11.1977
Juraj Valach (HKm Zvolen/SVK) 01.02.1989
Ivan Švarný (HC Litvínov/CZE) 30.10.1984
Peter Frühauf (HC 05 B. Bystrica/SVK) 15.08.1982
Martin Gründling (HK 36 Skalica/SVK) 13.02.1987
Tomáš Slovák (Avtomobilist Jekaterinburg/KHL) 05.04.1983
Vladimír Mihálik (Norfolk Admirals/AHL) 29.01.1987

Forwards:
Tomáš Záborský (Ässät Pori/SM-liiga) 14.11.1987
Marek Zagrapan (Severstal Čerepovec/KHL) 06.12.1986
Tomáš Jaško (SaiPa Lapperanta/SM-liiga) 09.12.1983
Michal Chovan (HKm Zvolen/SVK) 23.11.1987
Miroslav Zálešák (HK36 Skalica/SVK) 02.01.1980
Ivan Čiernik (Kölner Haie/DEL) 30.10.1977
Roman Tománek (HC 05 B. Bystrica/SVK) 28.01.1986
Tomáš Bulík (HC 05 B. Bystrica/SVK) 27.08.1985
Tomáš Tatar (Grand Rapids Griffins/AHL) 01.12.1990
Marek Bartánus (MHK 32 L. Mikuláš/SVK) 13.02.1987
Radoslav Tybor (Dukla Trenčín/SVK) 23.11.1989
Richard Pánik (Norfolk Admirals/AHL) 07.20.1991

This is the roster for this week´s training camp and the two games against CZE. Second game on Saturday might not be played thoug as it wille be a day of national mourning due to Lech Kaczyński´s funeral.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Goalies:
Rastislav Staňa (Severstal Čerepovec/KHL) 10.01.1980
Peter Hamerlík (HC Oceláři Třinec/CZE) 02.01.1982

Deffense:

Dominik Graňák (Rögle BK,SEL) 11.06.1983
René Vydarený (Sparta Praha/CZE) 06.05.1981
Tomáš Starosta (Neftechimik Nižnekamsk/KHL) 20.05.1981
Richard Lintner (Dinamo Minsk/KHL) 15.11.1977
Juraj Valach (HKm Zvolen/SVK) 01.02.1989
Ivan Švarný (HC Litvínov/CZE) 30.10.1984
Peter Frühauf (HC 05 B. Bystrica/SVK) 15.08.1982
Martin Gründling (HK 36 Skalica/SVK) 13.02.1987
Tomáš Slovák (Avtomobilist Jekaterinburg/KHL) 05.04.1983
Vladimír Mihálik (Norfolk Admirals/AHL) 29.01.1987

Forwards:
Tomáš Záborský (Ässät Pori/SM-liiga) 14.11.1987
Marek Zagrapan (Severstal Čerepovec/KHL) 06.12.1986
Tomáš Jaško (SaiPa Lapperanta/SM-liiga) 09.12.1983
Michal Chovan (HKm Zvolen/SVK) 23.11.1987
Miroslav Zálešák (HK36 Skalica/SVK) 02.01.1980
Ivan Čiernik (Kölner Haie/DEL) 30.10.1977
Roman Tománek (HC 05 B. Bystrica/SVK) 28.01.1986
Tomáš Bulík (HC 05 B. Bystrica/SVK) 27.08.1985
Tomáš Tatar (Grand Rapids Griffins/AHL) 01.12.1990
Marek Bartánus (MHK 32 L. Mikuláš/SVK) 13.02.1987
Radoslav Tybor (Dukla Trenčín/SVK) 23.11.1989
Richard Pánik (Norfolk Admirals/AHL) 07.20.1991
That is quite a young camp. a whole pile of guys 23 or less. Interesting. If they wanted to look a young guys, I would have included Juraj Mikus. Tall defender coming off a surprisingly decent year and Toronto's season is over. Not saying he would make the team, but he might be more interesting to have there than say Fruhauf or Grundling.

I wonder what the status of Andrej Meszaros will be. There was talk he would go but the Tampa Lightning wouldn't let him. Now pretty much everyone on Tampa has been fired today. Maybe nobody would notice if he came.

Old
04-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Lukko4

Nice to see Tibor Radulay on one of those lists. Kid is a beast. Has a really heavy shot but the coaching in Trencin doesn't seem to know what to do with him. We will play 14 minutes in a game and get two goals, next game he's playing 4 minutes on the 4th line.

Lukko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Kamzik

Grand Rapids Press Release:

SPANNING THE GLOBE

04/12/2010 11:35 AM

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Detroit Red Wings on Monday recalled Grand Rapids Griffins forwards Justin Abdelkader, Brad May and Mattias Ritola, defensemen Doug Janik and Jakub Kindl, and goaltender Daniel Larsson for the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs, which the Wings will commence on Wednesday at 10 p.m. EDT in Phoenix against the Coyotes.

In addition, right wing Jan Mursak (Slovenia) and defenseman Ole-Kristian Tollefsen (Norway) will join their respective national teams at the 2010 IIHF World Championship, while left wing Tomas Tatar will try out for Slovakia’s national squad.

Old
04-12-2010, 04:06 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
That is quite a young camp. a whole pile of guys 23 or less. Interesting. If they wanted to look a young guys, I would have included Juraj Mikus. Tall defender coming off a surprisingly decent year and Toronto's season is over. Not saying he would make the team, but he might be more interesting to have there than say Fruhauf or Grundling.

I wonder what the status of Andrej Meszaros will be. There was talk he would go but the Tampa Lightning wouldn't let him. Now pretty much everyone on Tampa has been fired today. Maybe nobody would notice if he came.
Maybe the +/- was concerning for the staff. But I agree that he should have gotten a shot since some of the players have done even less than him. Though it seems that there is a bit less experimenting at deffense than at forward in this roster.

As for Meszaos:"Fyzicky sa cítim dobre, ale mám menšie zranenia, takže uvidíme. Všetko bude závisieť od rozhodnutia tímu, v pondelok nás čakajú lekárske testy. Nechcem preto dopredu nič hovoriť. Mám za sebou dlhú sezónu, nemal som počas nej žiadnu prestávku. Cítim sa však dobre, v minulosti som odohral aj viac zápasov za sezónu,"

"I feel good physically, I have some smaller injuries, so we´ll see. Everything will depend on the team´s decision, we have health tests on Monday. I don´t want to say anything too early. I have a long season behind me, I didn´t have any break during it. However I´m feeling good and I´ve played even more games during a season in the past."

http://www.hokejportal.sk/?q=clanok/26647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukko4 View Post
Nice to see Tibor Radulay on one of those lists. Kid is a beast. Has a really heavy shot but the coaching in Trencin doesn't seem to know what to do with him. We will play 14 minutes in a game and get two goals, next game he's playing 4 minutes on the 4th line.
Well, I don´t think it will be a problem next year if Trenčín really gets Dušan Gregor as the coach for next year. He didn´t seem to be afraid f youngsters in the play.offs with Martin.

I´m personally happy about Michal Chovan as he is one of my favourit forwards in the leagues and I was really disappointd that for example last season Filc prefered Hvila over him.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 04-12-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old
04-12-2010, 06:13 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

No Boris Valábik?

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
As for Meszaos:"Fyzicky sa cítim dobre, ale mám menšie zranenia, takže uvidíme. Všetko bude závisieť od rozhodnutia tímu.
Well, that was my argument. As of today the Tampa Lightning have no coach, no general manager, and no CEO. So I'm not sure who is THE TEAM that Meszaros now speaks of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
No Boris Valábik?
Big Bad Boris tore his ACL against the Washington Capitals right before the Olympics. He had surgery and is done for the year.

Old
04-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Well, that was my argument. As of today the Tampa Lightning have no coach, no general manager, and no CEO. So I'm not sure who is THE TEAM that Meszaros now speaks of.

Big Bad Boris tore his ACL against the Washington Capitals right before the Olympics. He had surgery and is done for the year.
Damn. Well that explains why he wasn't in Vancouver.

Don't know how that slipped my mind. Hope he comes back strong next year.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Kamzik

Coach Hanlon had his first meeting with the players today. Communication with the players was said to be good, there were only three guys that don't understand English. One of them was Tomas Starosta, I'm not sure about the other two. Perhaps Chovan and Bulik cause the other guys have played Canadian Junior or elsewhere. As Hanlon said though, there are only a small number of words that need to be communicated to the players. I think communication won't be a problem.

It looks most likely that Mihalik and Panik will miss the first game but Tatar should be ready to go.

Old
04-13-2010, 03:40 PM
zorz

Im very curious how you play two games against czech team this week. You can check czech roster in "International tournaments".

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
As for Gabby and WHC, well nothing against him, but since it´s him I´ll wait until I see him on the ice in Germany to believe that he will play there. Especially after last year.
Good thing you waited. The plastic player Marian Gaborik will not play in the upcoming World Championships. Neither will Andrej Meszaros. Both guys are actually quite banged up, Andrej even took a puck to the throat a few games ago. I'm glad though that Meszaros adjusted his excuse. He had been saying it would be a "team decision". Then the entire team was fired so today he just said plainly that the doctors don't recommend I play, which basically means "I don't feel like playing".

Even more scary than this news is that GM Peter Bondra is in contact with Ivan Majesky and said Ivan would join the team April 19. So we have his stupid penalties and super slow skating to look forward to.

Old
04-14-2010, 05:59 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Good thing you waited. The plastic player Marian Gaborik will not play in the upcoming World Championships. Neither will Andrej Meszaros. Both guys are actually quite banged up, Andrej even took a puck to the throat a few games ago. I'm glad though that Meszaros adjusted his excuse. He had been saying it would be a "team decision". Then the entire team was fired so today he just said plainly that the doctors don't recommend I play, which basically means "I don't feel like playing".

Even more scary than this news is that GM Peter Bondra is in contact with Ivan Majesky and said Ivan would join the team April 19. So we have his stupid penalties and super slow skating to look forward to.
Well, can´t really say I´m surprised about Andrej and Marian.

As for the other part, I seriously read the title of the article at szlh.sk: "Na MS bez Gaborika a Meszarosa, tim oslabi Ivan Majesky."

Old
04-14-2010, 08:10 AM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█Ż█Ż██Ż█★█Ż██Ż█Ż█╲

vCash: 1100
Where is Valabik?

N O T O R I O U S is offline   Reply With Quote