HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Central Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

Slovak National Team (Olympics, WHC, Deutschland Cup, Friendlies etc.)

Old
05-10-2010, 12:52 PM
slovakiasnextone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Putting aside the fact of who said it, I'd say they are closing the gap, but not there yet.

One year doesn't change everything, but it helps.
Yeah, Czechs are falling much slower......other than that if something major isn´t done (I don´t mean the senior level)....we will be equal soon.....won´t be a good thing though....

And undepending on whether we are equal, better or worse we will lose 9 out of 10 games against them. Don´t see any need for statments like this IMO.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 05-10-2010 at 01:00 PM.
slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 06:25 AM
slovakiasnextone

Depressive video....

Old
05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post

Depressing video....

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Okay, a littlr bit less depressing one.

Old
05-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Any chance we drop from the #7 spot because of the 12th place finish?

Old
05-21-2010, 11:45 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Any chance we drop from the #7 spot because of the 12th place finish?
Yep, we already have, 8th, SUI have taken the 7th spot, we still could even be 9th if the Germans were to make it to the finals. It doesn´t matter though, because they are currently ranked 9th, so we will be together in the preliminary round group next year anyway.

Then there will be the No. 1 in the IIHF rankings with us in the group, which is currently Canada, but will be Russia if they make it into the finals.

So our group will most probably be:
Russia, Slovakia, Germany and Austria/Slovenia I think....

Old
05-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Baaah, I can't stand this IIHF ranking system.

There's no way we should ever drop below #7, especially with our showing in Vancouver.

The Olympics should be weighted much more than the WC for various reasons. (All the best players, bigger stage, etc)

Old
05-23-2010, 05:40 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Baaah, I can't stand this IIHF ranking system.

There's no way we should ever drop below #7, especially with our showing in Vancouver.

The Olympics should be weighted much more than the WC for various reasons. (All the best players, bigger stage, etc)
We´re still better off than the US though, I mean you are on OT goal short off winning the gold at the OG and then you are all the way down to 6th place in the ranking, because of a tourney you don´t even care about.

Btw, acc. to wikipedia our group A for 2011 should be Russia, Slovakia, Germany and Slovenia and should be played in Bratislava, Czechs playing in Bratislava as well.

Old
05-23-2010, 05:55 PM
wings5

Quote:
Yeah, Czechs are falling much slower......other than that if something major isn´t done (I don´t mean the senior level)....we will be equal soon.....won´t be a good thing though....

And undepending on whether we are equal, better or worse we will lose 9 out of 10 games against them. Don´t see any need for statments like this IMO.
Certianly right about this the Czechs are falling much slower and with today's win and some much needed publicity the Czechs may have a chance to get out of the red. Even when you see the WJC the Czechs have great individual talent like Nestrasil and Kubalik this year. The thing is they are young and inexperianced and can't perform as a team. When these same players become professionals, recieve quality coaching and experiance it becomes much easier to integrate into a team system. I mean for Mens you can see almost anyone can win if they play strategic and within the system but in juniors it appears players have a harder time adjusting to a new environment. In Canada it is a bit easier for them in the WJC since they grew up with adversity and competing against highly skilled players. So I think that even these young Slovak and Czech players now will become National team players but its a matter of teaching them these skills earlier and developing players at a younger age which they can't do with the state of minor hockey in the country which is why you see many going to North America to develop their skills.

I must ask you Slovak fans, realistically how close is Slovak hockey to Czech hockey at all levels?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
I must ask you Slovak fans, realistically how close is Slovak hockey to Czech hockey at all levels?
I think this has been covered like a billion times now in this thread and many others, just search around. I grow tired of comparisons, and also discussions about the fall of Czech & Slovak hockey. For the love of God please don't answer.

The World Championships this year were silly. Norway beats the champs and then several days later lose 12-1 to Canada. The champs then go on to beat the defacto Russian Olympic team and win gold. I'm tired of hockey. Even if you round up dudes from off the street, anyone can beat anyone with poor officiating and great goaltending. Bring on the FIFA World Cup.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
It's a terribly loaded question. Nothing adds up if you try to put some sort of comparison.

Slovaks place 4th at the ultimate best on best tournament, and a few months later it's a 12th place bow out against some not so great teams. But look at our team, teenagers and vets. Czechs beat a super loaded Russian team that the SVK team hangs with. The IIHF tournaments all come down to what was said by Kamzik, officiating and goaltending.

Old
05-24-2010, 06:06 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Certianly right about this the Czechs are falling much slower and with today's win and some much needed publicity the Czechs may have a chance to get out of the red. Even when you see the WJC the Czechs have great individual talent like Nestrasil and Kubalik this year. The thing is they are young and inexperianced and can't perform as a team. When these same players become professionals, recieve quality coaching and experiance it becomes much easier to integrate into a team system. I mean for Mens you can see almost anyone can win if they play strategic and within the system but in juniors it appears players have a harder time adjusting to a new environment. In Canada it is a bit easier for them in the WJC since they grew up with adversity and competing against highly skilled players. So I think that even these young Slovak and Czech players now will become National team players but its a matter of teaching them these skills earlier and developing players at a younger age which they can't do with the state of minor hockey in the country which is why you see many going to North America to develop their skills.

Actually, you might be surprised, but it might be quite the opposite. Hockey was never lacking publicity in the Czech republic (nor in Slovakia for that matter) anyway. And in the long run the succes of Czech hockey has been a disaster for developing hockey in CZE. I´m no expert on Czech hockey, but it´s this kind of "We are the best/champions" mentality, some kind of comfort which led both Slovak/Czech hockey to hybernation while others kept working and improving their programmes whether it were the top countries like US and Sweden recently or the "lesser" countries like Switzerland or Denmark. As czechexpert once told me, when looking back at things Nagano 98 was the biggest disaster of Czech hockey. Similar things could be said for Gotteborg 2002 and Slovakia. I certainly hope it will be different this time around with the Czechs, but.... I also hope that the 2011 Worlds will be used properly to make a hockey boom in Slovakia next year, because even if our hockey programme was stellar you can hardly work when you have trouble getting 20 kids a year for your team, and that´s not only the small clubs, IMO even some Extraliga teams have this problem.

With all respect to players like Nestrašil or Kubalík, they are elite only when compared to the majority of other Czech/Slovak players, can you really call them great talents compared to the rest of the world? Would you say that about an Canadian or American 3rd/5th round pick? The last Czech generation that can be called elite is the one of the late 80´s with guys like Pavelec, Voráček and Frolík. Between players born in the 1990´s really world class elite talent is pretty rare, I can only think about Musil and Frk. However if they really start working now the Czechs junior trouble might not even be seen at the senior stage thanks to the generation of the late 80´s. (which one we sadly almost don´t have)

As for the national teams part, I don´t agree at all, actually our players grow up much more used to the whole national team as they play regularly since like U15 on the national team, which is lots of more games than the young Canadians and the NT is more prestigious over here, because for most fans it comes first before their club at all times of the year. And I think we´ve seen teams win with strategic play also at the U20 level and U18 level, the Swiss are a prime example of this and so was for example the Slovak U20 team in the 2009 WJC in the semifinals against Sweden (though they didn´t manage it for the whole 60 minutes).

When I look at it overall, both the youth and the senior Slovak national teams do the same mistakes all the time:
1. Committing stupid fouls, and very often unnecessary fouls in the offensive zone, this is also true for Slovak club teams, an average Slovak team commits around 10 fouls a game
2. Never play 60 minutes, best example: SVK-FIN bronze medal game in Vancouver, when they´re 2-3 goals up then they totally stop playing and usually allow the opponent to battle back
3. Loads of passes in own zone, and especially when the opponent is forechecking
4. What we call "propagačné strely", which could be I suppose called "advertising shots" in English, which means that even if they get 35-40 shots, only like 2 of them are dangerous, most of the others are long distane shots, there have been loads of games where we made a star out of our opponent´s goalies.

Anyway, there currently is a proramme in Slovakia aimed at supporting Olympians and there is something like "Slovak Olympic Team A" and "Slovak Olympic Team B" for London/Sochi,Sochi team also includes both hockey teams. However there also is kind of a "junior Olympic team", and when I saw the list recently I noticed that in team sports aside from the gils handball team and one more team, there also was an "U23 hockey team".

Which pretty much goes together with Hanlon saying that now after the WHC we need look at the U23 players and see where we´re at and there should be a training camp for AHLers/junior sheduled for the first week of August, so I suppose it all goes together.

Don´t really wanna answer that last question, what is it good for? If I asked you how close American and Canadian or Swdish and Finnish hockey are, could you really answer the question completely? And in these case you might actually be comparing countries that are closer in conditions that Slovakia/CZE are these day despite former common past, after all you want to compare two countries one of which has double citizens than the other, however the 10 million one has almost 100 000 hockey players, while the other has less than 9000, one country has over 30 000 juvenille players, while the other has 6 500 juvenille players, on country has 157 indoor rinks, while the other has 45 indoor rinks. Acc. to 2009 IIHF Survey of players.

Old
05-24-2010, 07:02 AM
slovakiasnextone

An interesting interview with Ľubo Višňovský here, I´m too lazy to translate it though.

Old
05-24-2010, 09:31 AM
wings5

When I mentioned Kubalik and Nestrasil I was just trying to use possible/likely future NHL players as a reference. I understand where you are coming from and I see that Voracek, Frolik where some of the last good talent to come out of Czech, it is hard to gauge. But you can see players like Frk and Musil who might be the next stars from their country and it looks like their may be light at the end of the tunnel.Slovakia's bright spot appears to be Patrik Koys (Tvrdon will be good to but likely 2nd rounder based on nationality) but not much after that especially when talking about defenceman. Based on the statistics you showed of both countries situations in regards to rinks, etc Czech looks to be better off but it really was a loaded question. Good luck to Slovakia in the world cup.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 10:12 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
When I mentioned Kubalik and Nestrasil I was just trying to use possible/likely future NHL players as a reference. I understand where you are coming from and I see that Voracek, Frolik where some of the last good talent to come out of Czech, it is hard to gauge. But you can see players like Frk and Musil who might be the next stars from their country and it looks like their may be light at the end of the tunnel.Slovakia's bright spot appears to be Patrik Koys (Tvrdon will be good to but likely 2nd rounder based on nationality) but not much after that especially when talking about defenceman. Based on the statistics you showed of both countries situations in regards to rinks, etc Czech looks to be better off but it really was a loaded question. Good luck to Slovakia in the world cup.
Yeah, however having one or two elite talents in two or three years
means absolutely nothing these days, IMO it is even less than Denmark has these days for example with guys like Eller, Boedker and Nicklas Jensen next year, I know that Denmark is a rising country, however for a country of the qualities that Czech republic has been/is today the most recent drafts were pretty miserable and the next few ones won´t be that much better.

As for our deffense, actually, do you remember those times when you only knew three guys from our deffense- Švehla, Višňovský and Chára? We were not doing much good with deffensmen even back in our best times and we actually had our best years for D prospects in 1985/1986, both Meszároš is still 24, Sekera 23, will see whether sometimes anything usefull will be out of Valábik and Mihálik, but they are both 24 and 23 respectivelly, Ivan Baranka has turned 25 just recently and though he gave it up in NA, he´s a pretty good D at the KHL level. Plus there is 1992 Martin Marinčin, who I think might go Round 2 this year and 1993 Peter Čerešňák, who had a monster 2nd half of the season in Slovak juniors this year and who might go Rounds 2-3 in 2011. Plus there is Leas prospect Juraj Mikuš, who is a real long shot, but I think he exceeded the expactations of everyone as some expected him to end up in the ECHL this year and in the end he became the most productive D for the Marlies this year. Our D is by far not worries me the most.

The biggest concern in recent years actually was the fact that while being known for producing so many great forwards, we produced almost none elite level forward prospect in the late 80´s (Zagrapan, born in December 1986 was the last one, and even he didn´t develop.). That sitauation seems to be getting better in the 1990´s at least with some top forwards prospects lika Tatar or Pánik, though none of them probably are the next Gáborík or Marián Hossa. As for Tvrdoň, not that I don´t like him, but there might be some serious concerns about him especially if some of the teams look into his family history, everything´s not about talent and as he is already known today for his laziness I am worried that he might end up like his cousin Štefan Ružička, who actually is talented enough to be a top 6 forward at the NHL level, but was too lazy to become one and ended up in the KHL. Anyway, what I wanted to say that this guy is a better prospect for next year and could go in the top 15 in the draft and from what I´ve heard not only about his skills but also work ethic he is the guys that I expect to see in the NHL in less than 5 years.

Thanks a lot , not sure whether luck will be enough for us, but maybw......

Old
05-24-2010, 02:58 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
An interesting interview with Ľubo Višňovský here, I´m too lazy to translate it though.
I'll try. Please be easy on me with some of the vocab I don't know. I'll just just to get the points of it.

How are you doing? (Then something about the IIHF games I think?)

I was completely done in Vancouver. I recently went to my apartment and looked at my 3 medals from the world championships. I stood there for a half hour and thought why I don't have one from the Olympics. (I think hes trying say hes disappointed he doesn't have an Olympic medal.)

Your name is still in the news about the incident with (performance enhancing) drugs at Vancouver, but you have been cleared of all wrong doing.

For me it was it was the toughest hit in my hockey life. I took the pills that the doctor in Edmonton told me to, as well as Dalimír Jančovič plus other independent specialists. We all agreed (that it was fine.)

What was the problem?

I took 3 pills a day. (Something about his arm?) Everyone was clear that was not my intention, but the number was exceeded. I was very sad about the problem also was our doctor Jančovič. He knows about everything that is illegal, I always refused those. But the word doping associated with my name made me feel terrible.

Shortly after the Olympics, you unexpectedly were traded from Edmonton to Anaheim.

(He didn't get to do something with his family?) In Edmonton I was getting decent points, but the coach suddenly reduced my ice time. We talked, but he did not understand. When I got to Anaheim, the two coaches agreed that both teams benefited from the trade from a defensive standpoint.

Your missing on the Slovak WC team.

Immediately after the Olympics, I said that I need to resolve some things. Then came injury, my opponent broke the bone on the right foot, and finally after the season I had to rest.

How do you feel of the games and the results of the Slovak national team for the WC in Germany?

It was a fair view of Slovak hockey. Although players can not be denied, when they reach for the best players from the NHL couldn't be better. Sadly, our hockey is going down. (I screwed this up.)

Where are they lacking most?

Tough question, but the fact of the matter is the talent in the Slovak league isn't there anymore. Before it was Hossa, Gaborik, Satan, and Palffy.

Union leadership is lacking (Don't understand question or answer.)

Overseas they came looking for the team, I can't say it's false. (I'm lost.)

What do you think about the new coach, Glen Hanlon?

I think he brings in a new system that is proven to work. I can't rate him yet. It will take longer than you think, getting to know the players and their mentality.

Thats half of the interview. I'll do the other half later.

Old
05-24-2010, 04:17 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I'll try. Please be easy on me with some of the vocab I don't know. I'll just just to get the points of it.

Professional hockey players say that it is necessary to forget bad games us fast as possible. How are you doing in this regard?

I was frustrated about Vancouver for a month. I recently went to my apartment and looked at my 3 medals from the world championships. I stood there for a half hour and I was tounting myself that the Olympic one is not there.

Your name is still in the news about the incident with (performance enhancing) drugs at Vancouver, but you have been cleared of all wrong doing.

For me it was it was the toughest hit in my hockey life. I took the pills that the doctor in Edmonton told me to, as well as Dalimír Jančovič plus other independent specialists. We all agreed (that it was fine.)

What was the problem?

I took 3 pills a day. (Something about his arm?) Everyone was clear that was not my intention, but the number was exceeded. I was very sad that our doctor Jančovič also had trouble because of it. He knows best that I was always against everything illegal. But the word doping associated with my name made me feel terrible.

Shortly after the Olympics, you unexpectedly were traded from Edmonton to Anaheim.

I did not understand the reason, but we (my family) were happy about the change of climate and the return to California. In Edmonton I was getting decent points, but the coach suddenly reduced my ice time. We talked, but it was as if he didn´t want to understand. When I got to Anaheim, the two coaches agreed that both teams benefited from the trade from a defensive standpoint. Sometimes in the NHL you have no idea what´s going on.

Your missing on the Slovak WC team.

Immediately after the Olympics, I said that I need to resolve some things. Then came injury, my opponent broke the bone on the right foot, and finally after the season I had to rest.

How do you feel of the games and the results of the Slovak national team for the WC in Germany?

It was just and only a true image of Slovak hockey. Although you can´t deny combativness of the players. When the NHL players don´t come, it can´t be any different. Our hockey is going down.

Where is it lacking most?

Tough question, but the fact of the matter is that we´re not bringing up talent who would stand out before they leave the Extraliga like guys like Marián Hossa, Gáborík, Šatan or Pálffy have in the past.

Isn´t the federation sleeping?

I´m overseas for most of the year, but when I come to the national team they look greatly after us. I can´t say one bad word about it.

What do you think about the new coach, Glen Hanlon?

I think (if) he brings in a new system that is proven to work. I can't rate him yet, his time with the team is too short. It will take longer than even he might have thought, getting to know the players and their mentality.

Thats half of the interview. I'll do the other half later.
corrected
EDIT: I think it will be better if I just do the other part

Old
05-24-2010, 04:26 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
corrected
EDIT: I think it will be better if I just do the other part
Phew. Thank you.

Old
05-24-2010, 05:09 PM
slovakiasnextone

A general explanation is that they young team was mainly gaining experience in Germany, What do you say about it?
"I´m a bit pissed about this one. What young team? There´s alot of demagogy in it. The team must take two nineteen year olds, that´s nothing radical. Swedes have 6 of them on their roster and they don´t make a fuss about it."

Aren´t the coaches and the officers mystifying about the huge atmoshpere of the big WHC and all?

"Definitely. Our WJC players have two WJCs overseas behind them where they played infront of sold out crowds. They managed to beat US back then. Except for that they have the U18 WHC, the younger teams played lots of exhibition games and tournaments against strong opponents. Of course, the young players should be given room, but not in place of better players." (Note: I think he doesn´t have that much info about this as he speaks about some U16 Euro championship and as long as I know there´s nothng like that and our youth teams these days mostly play Germany/Switzerland, which are rising nations, but not really strong opponents at youth level.)

Who better stayed at home?
"When I watch Jano Pardavý I can´t understand why he´s long gone from the NT. He´s fast, he scores, makes assist, has dynamics, hockey brains. I really don´t understand this hazard with quality players, which doesn´t seem to be rare in SVK."

Note: First of all, I really really love Jano Pardavý, he was one of the best players in the league this year and he is a smart guy that is well liked, however Ľubo is completely off with this one, Jano is 38, it´s time to realize that it´s 2010 not 2000 anymore. Which eveb Pardavý himself realizes, when he was asked by media pre-Olympics about the NT and Olympics, he said he doesn´t feel like it anymore. And it is one thing how a player looks in our league and how he looks on international ice, would Pardavý be any more useful than his linemate Tomáš Bulík, who is 14 years younger? I seriously doubt it. Secondly, in my memory from our WHC games it were the guys around 30 that screwed up the most not the kids. Yeah, that kid Pánik with a rare +3 on our team, who was in many games our best all around forward or this kid Tatar, who scored 2 goals, which is pretty high considering that we scored 15 goals in the whole tournament.

Do we have good coaches?
"This question bothers me the most. Where are the personalities capable of bringing up new Gáborík´s? Do they go abroad fo intership, do they follow the newest trends? And above all are they independent from the parents or possibly mistaken federation officials? Where is Zdeno Cíger, who showed great passion for coaching? Where is Peter Oremus, who shortly showed up with the national team?

To answer his question: Cíger gave up coaching himself and I´d really think twice before wanting to have a guys who openly infront of TV cameras sends the ref somewhere after a lost game. As for Peter Oremus, he is bak home with Skalica and he could be a good coach one day, I could actually imagine him as coach for one of our youth NT´s , but it is probably more lucrative for him to coach in Extraliga than that. Maybe he can get a position with the senior NT one day, but I believe it is way too early for that.

Is everything about youth?

"Definitely. It seems to me that everything is just being glued together. You can´t rely on everything, but the basic system should work. Now there also is the financial crisis and the parents in small towns have to savour. Therefore the money from the state or from the sponsors should go directly into material for kids. I know, the times are bad. When I came back home after a year in the US I was apalled."

About what?
"About the rise of criminality, I´m alnost scared to turn on the news, it´s horror all the time. It seems to me that the whole environment is barbarized. Not that there isn´t trouble with criminality in the US, but it´s not so cloe to me like here. One street away."

A few years back you had an ambition to build a ice hockey rink similarly as Marián Gáborík in Trenčín. Do you still think about that?
"No. I had two grounds promised, but there was some trouble about it. Now because of the WHC except for the reconstructed arena there also will be two training rinks. There won´t be such demand for it anymore."

Were you frustrated by it?
"For a while. I had further intentions to invest into sports grounds, but it´s tough to do in Slovakia. A few days back I came back from a machine to improve skating (not sure about how to tarnslate "trenažér") in Fitarena in Banská Bystrica. Mr. Čupa has brought it to Vancouver. I already tried it in the US. A great thing, I wanted to built something similar in Bratislava. I couldn´t find a few meters of space for it. Players from whole of Slovakia go to Banská Bystrica."

You have a contract for three more years with Anaheim. After your NHL career is over, will you play at least one season in Bratislava?

"I´m not against it, but it is far away."

Do you have any idea what you´ll do when you´re finished playing?
"I want to do something hockey related, I´ve been living with hockey my whole life. I can imagine being a manager or mabye training youth. And I have an exact concept that I would coach deffensmen."

Who will win the SC?

"I´m really crossing my fingers for Majo Hossa and Tomáš Kopecký in Chicago. And of course, for my good friend Jaro Halák with Montreal. The boy has exceeded all expectations eliminating Ovechkin, Crosby. But it seems that Philadelphia will beat Montreal physically."

What´s your guess for the WHC winner?
(was done before the final)
"The Russians have the strongest roster. The Czechs on the other hand have as much luck as in their golden times."

Btw, regarding the whole Czech hockey discussion, despite the gold medal win, Jágr came out with some more interesting quotes, in which he said that the Czech republic doesn´t belong between the top 4 hockey countries (I suppose he meant Can, USa, Swe and Rus). Because they don´t have the results at the youth level, and with not having them at the youth level, they can´t have them at the men´s level.

Old
05-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Kamzik

A trenažér is a simulator, but it could also be an exercise machine, or both a simulator and a training machine.

Much respect for Visna, fellow Zochar. I thought his bit about crime was a little weird. Being afraid to turn on the news when he returns to SVK. I'm betting he doesn't watch his local Los Angeles news. Although the Los Angeles murder rate has declined to only three times higher than the United Kingdom in the past year.

I also didn't like his comments "I would invest in x,y,z, but now I doubt there would be interest". Much respect to Marian Gaborik for building facilities instead of just complaining to the media.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 02:14 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
A trenažér is a simulator, but it could also be an exercise machine, or both a simulator and a training machine.

Much respect for Visna, fellow Zochar. I thought his bit about crime was a little weird. Being afraid to turn on the news when he returns to SVK. I'm betting he doesn't watch his local Los Angeles news. Although the Los Angeles murder rate has declined to only three times higher than the United Kingdom in the past year.

I also didn't like his comments "I would invest in x,y,z, but now I doubt there would be interest". Much respect to Marian Gaborik for building facilities instead of just complaining to the media.
Plus, I´ve watched news here for 10 years here and they always only report about the horror, it´s usually 9 to 1 with negative things to positive. And I actually felt way less safe these days than 10 years ago. Then again my neighbourhood is a safer place than Bratislava is. But I also believe that BA is safer than LA. Maybe Ľubo can travel with our football players to South Africa and there he´d see what real criminality is.

Well, about the rink, starting in 2011 in Bratislava there will be: Ondrej Nepela arena+ 2 training rinks, Ružinov rink + training rink, and another one in Dúbravka, there also is a rink in the Avion Shopping Centre in BA. Furthermore recently a small rink in near Bratislava was built by private investors and there are plans from other private investors to built a pretty nice arena in Senec. So yeah, I´d say that there might not be such a big demand in Bratislava and around. Though I´d though that Lubo would know that Slovakia doesn´t end in the Bratislava region and maybe if he actually looked around the places he grew up there would be huge demand somewhere.

As for those other things, it is true that there is serious trouble when you want to built something over here, usually something good and Lubo isn´t the only Slovak hockey players who had trouble with it.

Old
05-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Plus, I´ve watched news here for 10 years here and they always only report about the horror, it´s usually 9 to 1 with negative things to positive. And I actually felt way less safe these days than 10 years ago. Then again my neighbourhood is a safer place than Bratislava is. But I also believe that BA is safer than LA. Maybe Ľubo can travel with our football players to South Africa and there he´d see what real criminality is.
It's the same way in the US. All negative news. In Pittsburgh not so much, it's really minor stuff like accidents. Pittsburgh is the United States most livable city a few years running. Super low cost of living, low crime, good city moral, etc.

I don't know the crime in BA, but LA and Southern California is a fairy tale land with the amount of money that runs around out there. Between Beverly Hills, Hollywood, etc, it's something exotic everyday. LA has some gangs but it's all pretty contained. Oakland is kind of rough, wouldn't want to live there. It's two extremes. Where the crime is, it's pretty bad, but the better parts are unbelievable. Where Ľubo is in Anaheim is going to be a dream to him. It's muti-million dollar homes everywhere, sunshine constantly. If you have the money (alot of money), Southern California is a pretty ideal place to live. Ľubo will be putting that salary to use.

Old
05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
It's the same way in the US. All negative news. In Pittsburgh not so much, it's really minor stuff like accidents. Pittsburgh is the United States most livable city a few years running. Super low cost of living, low crime, good city moral, etc.

I don't know the crime in BA, but LA and Southern California is a fairy tale land with the amount of money that runs around out there. Between Beverly Hills, Hollywood, etc, it's something exotic everyday. LA has some gangs but it's all pretty contained. Oakland is kind of rough, wouldn't want to live there. It's two extremes. Where the crime is, it's pretty bad, but the better parts are unbelievable. Where Ľubo is in Anaheim is going to be a dream to him. It's muti-million dollar homes everywhere, sunshine constantly. If you have the money (alot of money), Southern California is a pretty ideal place to live. Ľubo will be putting that salary to use.
Thanks for the info. However that doesn´t matter with my point, he has lived in BA full time 10 years ago and I don´t think it was a much safer place back then than it is today. Actually from my impressions it is a nicer place to live in today than 10 years ago, though I can´t really judge it as I don´t live there.

Old
05-30-2010, 12:51 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Found these 2 pictures. Awesome.

Old
05-30-2010, 02:58 PM
slovakiasnextone

I already posted this into the youth hockey thread, but I´m not sure whether everyone reading this also read that thread. An interesting, but older interview with Glen Hanlon in Czech MF Dnes can be read here. I thought the most ineteresting part was this one:

Q:Czech juniors similarly as the Slovak ones don´t belong into the wider world elite, in the last few years there is less Czech/Slovak players in the NHL draft. Is it a warning signal?
"I see it like that. Of course, the NHL has this looked through and the draft is a true indicator of quality. Thos not seleted are just not good enough to be selected."

Q:What can be done about it?

"First of all you need money for youth. It´s impossible without it. But those have to be managed effectively, without waste. We have to have plans for all kids. We´re trying to create a system of scouting and performance evaluation for players under fifteen years old. So that we would know about them and we watched their development: whether their getting better or stagnating, what their doing in the summer...."

Q:It seems that work with young players is more important to you than the work with the stars of the A national team. Is this also closer to you? You coached Jágr or Ovečkin in Washington after all....
"But there isn´t a player like that currently in Slovakia or Czech republic. And I would be happy if there was a new Jágr here someday."

Well, Glen, the hopes of Slovak hockey rest upon your shoulders.