HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Central Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

Slovak National Team (Olympics, WHC, Deutschland Cup, Friendlies etc.)

Old
05-30-2010, 03:10 PM
zorz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Certianly right about this the Czechs are falling much slower and with today's win and some much needed publicity the Czechs may have a chance to get out of the red. Even when you see the WJC the Czechs have great individual talent like Nestrasil and Kubalik this year. The thing is they are young and inexperianced and can't perform as a team. When these same players become professionals, recieve quality coaching and experiance it becomes much easier to integrate into a team system. I mean for Mens you can see almost anyone can win if they play strategic and within the system but in juniors it appears players have a harder time adjusting to a new environment. In Canada it is a bit easier for them in the WJC since they grew up with adversity and competing against highly skilled players. So I think that even these young Slovak and Czech players now will become National team players but its a matter of teaching them these skills earlier and developing players at a younger age which they can't do with the state of minor hockey in the country which is why you see many going to North America to develop their skills.

I must ask you Slovak fans, realistically how close is Slovak hockey to Czech hockey at all levels?
not close

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 03:24 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
not close
I must ask you, realistically how close is Czech hockey to Swedish hockey at all levels? Not close.

Is your reaction really necessary in this thread? Maybe you could have actually provided some insight into why you think so and which levels and in what....? Reactions like "not close" without anything sure make you look arrogant. Your federation obviously hasn´t taken this "we are the champs" attitude post the WHC win, so please don´t you the fans do it.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 05-30-2010 at 05:14 PM.
slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiaforever View Post
Q:It seems that work with young players is more important to you than the work with the stars of the A national team. Is this also closer to you? You coached Jágr or Ovečkin in Washington after all....
"But there isn´t a player like that currently in Slovakia or Czech republic. And I would be happy if there was a new Jágr here someday."

:

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2010, 04:57 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post

I actually originally wanted to say sth like "Don´t think that Glen has heard about Koyš yet" but knew that someone would come out with that later.

Though I think this makes it look less phedophile:

Though about that whole comment, don´t think that even work with youth can influence it too much, a player like "Džegr" is born like once in 50 years, players like that just ain´t born every day. I think we will live as long as we have the next Pálffys, Bondras, Hossas or Gáboríks, wanting a Jágr would be too much.

Old
05-31-2010, 05:10 AM
zorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
I must ask you, realistically how close is Czech hockey to Swedish hockey at all levels? Not close.

Is your reaction really necessary in this thread? Maybe you could have actually provided some insight into why you think so and which levels and in what....? Reactions like "not close" without anything sure make you look arrogant. Your federation obviously hasn´t taken this "we are the champs" attitude post the WHC win, so please don´t you the fans do it.
That was not my intent:-) I've reached this view also thanks to you. You posted somewhere the list of young czech, finnish and slovakian young players who have played already some games in NHL. There was about 3 times more Czechs than Slovaks or something like that? Then I also looked at number of czech and slovakian palyers in NHL (48/18) and KHL (25/20, but number of czech players will grow significantly after this season - Kvapil, Červenka, Netík, Čáslava, Němec, Vampola, Gřegořek,...). Another aspect are recent results at WC. I think Slovakia didn't reach play off round 3 times in a row? Doesn't seem to be just an accident. Yea, they played well during Olympics, but it shows only that top slovakian players competitive against other top players are too few. We still have some middle aged or young guys who can fill the gap after guys like Jágr retire. I mean Hudler, Voráček, Frolík, Vrbata, Hanzal etc. I don't see slovakian players like that somewhere around, do you? It's really not arrogance, just reality.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2010, 08:46 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
That was not my intent:-) I've reached this view also thanks to you. You posted somewhere the list of young czech, finnish and slovakian young players who have played already some games in NHL. There was about 3 times more Czechs than Slovaks or something like that? Then I also looked at number of czech and slovakian palyers in NHL (48/18) and KHL (25/20, but number of czech players will grow significantly after this season - Kvapil, Červenka, Netík, Čáslava, Němec, Vampola, Gřegořek,...). Another aspect are recent results at WC. I think Slovakia didn't reach play off round 3 times in a row? Doesn't seem to be just an accident. Yea, they played well during Olympics, but it shows only that top slovakian players competitive against other top players are too few. We still have some middle aged or young guys who can fill the gap after guys like Jágr retire. I mean Hudler, Voráček, Frolík, Vrbata, Hanzal etc. I don't see slovakian players like that somewhere around, do you? It's really not arrogance, just reality.
Your answer just shows how little you understood wings5´s question and how complex that actually was, which asked about all levels , you can´t even be capable to answer it unless you don´t work somewhere within the hockey sctructures of the one or the other country. Therefore I find it useless to argue about this matter with you..... He was asking about the whole hockey system rather than the senior players. Not saying that it is close, but the whole Czech programme in it´s current state is nothing to boast about.

Btw if you think that all those Extraliga players that signed with the KHL recently will do Czech hockey lots of good, you´re very mistaken, the main thing it does is that the level of Extraliga will drop when you lose 15-20 of it´s best players and there´s no young talent to replace them, because those few capable of replacing them are actually already in North American juniors. Plus it´s not like the KHL keeps on singing Czech players only, look up recent transactions of Slovak players there, which as of today also includes 3 players of this year´s Slovak NT and there are more players that are rumoured to wind up there. Plus don´t forget that players are going both ways also back to CZE from the KHL and just singing a contract doesn´t mean that the player will eventually succeed in the KHL.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 05-31-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old
06-01-2010, 09:12 AM
slovakiasnextone

Slovakia was already meant to organize a 4 nations tournament in December, but there probably will be an agreement with Switzerland to change the dates and the Swiss Škoda Cup (Switzerland, Slovakia, Denmark, Belarus) should be played in December and the Slovak tournament (Slovakia, Switzerland, Belarus, Germany) should be played in February 2011. The whole shedule for all national teams should be known during June as it is in the final stage of preparations.

Old
06-04-2010, 12:24 PM
slovakiasnextone

Glen Hanlon´s "goodbye" blog:
Quote:
The Future Starts Now
4.6.2010 18:54
As this is my last blog, I will talk about issues that have been discussed since the end of the World Championships. I have deliberately waited and gave myself some time to emotionally remove myself from decisions and make smart evaluations.

The World Championships in Cologne was a very enjoyable experience. I love the World Championships and the whole environment and carnival atmosphere. It really caters and attracts the real hockey fan. The fans come from all over the world and they enjoy themselves and the hockey. It is a different type of fan than the N.H.L. I enjoy the global perspective.

As with every story there are always two sides. In North America the media, fans and N.H.L. executives have commented on this year and future World Championships. The major issues from the North American side is lack of interest vs Stanley Cup playoffs and the release of contracted players to play. Before I started working in Europe and attending World Championships I must admit that I did not see things as I do now. The World Championships are important to the development of hockey around the world. The fans in Europe follow the N.H.L., but of course have grown up with the excitement of the country’s quest to win the World Championship. Try to tell the fans of the Czech Republic that there should not be a championship on an Olympic year. This tournament is BIG. People do not have enough international experiences to say that there should not be a championship every year. The involvement of the players is a major issue that will never be solved. From the N.H.L side they are concerned about injury to players and overusing the top stars. I have my own opinion on the injury situation. A person any person for that matter can have something happen to them. But living your life in a bubble and trying to remove situations where you might get injured makes no sense. Hockey is fun. Being part of a team is fun. There are always risks. There are risks in summer training. You could lift a weight and rupture a disc in your back. So do you do nothing all summer. Of course the answer is no. If you are a hockey player go play if the situation motivate you. The decision based on family makes sense to me. In an athlete’s life there are situations away from the rink that are constantly changing. Some years it is a good situation away from the game and it allows the player to participate. Other years a player could have been traded or released from a team and they already have been away from their families for two months. Every player’s situation is different. Trust me on this. You can do your part on attracting players. Support the ones that come and understand the ones that don’t. It’s that simple. The worlds have also been a place that have helped player’s N.H.L careers. The experience that Tatar and Panik got this year will be felt by their N.H.L teams. Also some third and fourth line players have come to the championships, played well and kicked started their N.H.L. carreers. There are also some positives for the N.H.L that must not be over looked. The last part of the equation is money. The World Championships generate a lot of money. It is necessary to finance a lot of programs around the World in the name of hockey. Many minor hockey programs are financed through the Worlds. Without this money a lot of programs and children would suffer and not get the chance that other children get.

The next point is our performance. Setting goals and discussing goals publicly is hard. If you made your goal too high it will put more pressure on the team and make the job harder than it already is. Too low and you set up a chance to underachieve. Before we left I felt these situations were possible. Worse case we could of played in the relegation round and best case was to finish in the top eight. After the first week of the tournament I believed that we could finish in the top six and I started telling the players that this could be a chance of a lifetime to accomplish something big for ourselves. Unfortunately Germany was listening to my thoughts. They won because of overall team speed and team defense. Both things that I strongly believe in. As in any one goal game you can look back and believe the outcome could have been different if this or that had happened. And for me it is no different. We learned at the end of the tournament with the support of the home fans, good speed and defense, Germany had a good team. No matter what I will always look back and think coulda, shoulda, woulda…an English saying that might get lost in translation. I am sure the environment next year will help us attract players and push us over the top. Next year I selfishly want everything to go our way.
So twelfth place is not something that we wanted. The players gave everything they had but fell short. We learn and move on. It is time for me to put it to bed and stop talking about the past. The future starts now and I’m pumped sky high about next year.

Next year started right after the tournament. I had meetings with people in our staff at Cologne and now I will start to contact the players. We have proposed a schedule for next year and now we are finalizing it. You will see some slight changes to our on ice system. We played a 1-2-2 mid ice tracking system. It is easy to play and most players have played it some time in their careers. It is also an easy system for an N.H.L player to join the team late and fit right in. I also did not have all the tournaments during the year to teach the other players a different approach. Next year will be different. I have looked at the players who might be available from the start of the tournament. For me the centers play a very important role on your team. Teams with good centers have a huge advantage both defensively and offensively. I’m hoping that all our top centers will be available. If they are it is too much to ask three experience centers to be doing all the work when you can play six games in ten days. So that is the starting point to our system. Next is meeting some players that play in North America and a few other players in a mini camp in August. Then I hope to meet some of our N.H.L. players and their families in Slovakia in early August. Lastly I need to get the word and message across to our young players that want to go to North America and play junior. Please stay home with your family friends and fans. We have a great under twenty program and you will not get anything better in North America. It falls under the category of lets do this together. We need to do everything right in this next four year cycle before the Olympics in Russia. Players train hard, young players stay home and catch the spirit and pride of playing for your country. Advertisers get ready to be part of our team. I have some ideas you are going to enjoy. We have to be successful at the Worlds and do everything right in developing new players for the future. We can do it…but we all need to do our part to reach the top of the World.
As this is the last blog I want to thank all of you for reading my thoughts. It has been fun and trust me I get a lot more out of it than you do. Next year will be an exciting year for hockey in Slovakia. This is the fan’s year. You deserve all the excitement that comes with hosting a World Championship. Players, coaches and fans let walk this path together and make it a year to remember.
Enjoy your summer. Dobre leto.

All the Best,
Glen

Old
06-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Nice words from Glen.

Will he be living in Bratislava near the SZĽH offices or back in North America in the off season?

Old
06-05-2010, 02:31 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Nice words from Glen.

Will he be living in Bratislava near the SZĽH offices or back in North America in the off season?
He said he wanted to live in SVK permanently, but he had to decide something like that with his wife and son. Though I doubt he´ll be in North America much this summer as he has announced quite a few things he has planned, namely for August for which he has to be over here.

Old
06-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Anyone have an idea who wore this jersey? I assume it's from a Spengler Cup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_634wt_1137

Old
06-07-2010, 03:49 AM
alko

Quote:

This is great..
if he will be a superstar ( i hope he will), this card wil have his price...

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
Anyone have an idea who wore this jersey? I assume it's from a Spengler Cup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_634wt_1137
It looks to be from about 2002-2004. I don't think Slovakia plays in the Spengler Cup. It is the number Richard Lintner has worn for years when he represents SVK. Hope that was some help.

The nearly completely white Slovak shirt except for the logo and shoulder stripe, was my favourite SVK jersey.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2010, 10:35 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
It looks to be from about 2002-2004. I don't think Slovakia plays in the Spengler Cup. It is the number Richard Lintner has worn for years when he represents SVK. Hope that was some help.

The nearly completely white Slovak shirt except for the logo and shoulder stripe, was my favourite SVK jersey.
I like the ones that had "Slovensko" written on them, something similar like this:

or this

2nd one should be juniors/women from 1997.

The one from Harv is most probably from Lotto/Škoda/Deutschland Cup or from pre-World Cup friendlies.

EDIT: corrected that D-Cup thing...

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 06-07-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old
06-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
The one from Harv is most probably from Lotto/Škoda/Dzurinda Cup or from pre-World Cup friendlies.
Ah yes, the Dzurinda Cup, the annual SDKU-DS organized tournament.

Old
06-07-2010, 03:05 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
Ah yes, the Dzurinda Cup, the annual SDKU-DS organized tournament.
LOL, that was an epic mistake from my side .....well you know with the elections comming up, I shouldn´t think so much about it as I do obviously..... at least someone still remembers ol´ Miki though .....

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 06-07-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Old
06-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:

The one from Harv is most probably from Lotto/Škoda/Deutschland Cup or from pre-World Cup friendlies.

EDIT: corrected that D-Cup thing...
Ahh, there we go. I knew there were way too many ads of it for it to be from a big tourny. Now that I realize it's a Lintner jersey I don't think I want to spend the $100 on it.

''Whoa, game used Slovakia National team jersey?!''
''Aw yeah, Richard Lintner Baby"
''....Oh.. ''

My favorites are these:

Wish they sold a real version of that one. Or even wore them more than once.

Otherwise I'm all about these:

It's such a great material for a jersey. Super light with excellent colors. Tons of people (hockey fans and non-hockey fans) in the US compliment it.

Last edited by Harv: 06-07-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old
06-07-2010, 04:32 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Ahh, there we go. I knew there were way too many ads of it for it to be from a big tourny. Now that I realize it's a Lintner jersey I don't think I want to spend the $100 on it.

''Whoa, game used Slovakia National team jersey?!''
''Aw yeah, Richard Lintner Baby"
''....Oh.. ''

My favorites are these:

Wish they sold a real version of that one. Or even wore them more than once.

Otherwise I'm all about these:

It's such a great material for a jersey. Super light with excellent colors. Tons of people (hockey fans and non-hockey fans) in the US compliment it.
Lintner, I´d only want his jersey if he wrote some of his funny comments on it. I´m not really a jersey collector though, only´ve got that old early 00´s EUROTEL Šatan jersey replica which every Slovak has somewhere in their closet or basement and only takes it out during the Olympics/IHWC and recently also football NT games.

There´s only one jersey that has any place in my heart right now though

Looking at all that blue and white, I was really shocked when I watched Slovak NT handball/volleyball teams and they were running around in red:
Hanball (don´t forget to cross your fingers on Saturday hen we play the first leg against Ukraine in the 2011 WC qualification, such rising sport as hanbdall currently is in the country could use at leats one more boost like the 10th place at the first ever WC in 09´ was)

Volleyball (guys qualified for the 2011 Euro in CZE/AUT recently):

EDIT: I like the handball one the best, maybe could do without the advertisments on it, but the red is great after all that white and blue.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 06-07-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old
06-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

On the topic of Slovakia jerseys. Check this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SLOVAKIA-Adult-X...#ht_1048wt_911

Old
06-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
On the topic of Slovakia jerseys. Check this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SLOVAKIA-Adult-X...#ht_1048wt_911
Where the hell do you find these things? Looks like some sort of Team Spelunking jersey with stalagtites and stalagmites.

Old
06-08-2010, 11:52 AM
slovakiasnextone

That´s actually the national ball hockey team jersey I believe:

Old
06-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
That´s actually the national ball hockey team jersey I believe:
Wow. Nice.

That's called ''Dek'' hockey in North America. You usually don't admit you play that sport, because it means you can't skate.

Old
06-08-2010, 01:22 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Wow. Nice.

That's called ''Dek'' hockey in North America. You usually don't admit you play that sport, because it means you can't skate.
Well, we call it "hokejbal", but it definitely doesn´t mean that you can´t skate if you play it. Actually most of the hockey players play it during the off-season (the same in lesser extent goes for inline hockey).

1999 Ball Hockey WC in Slovakia Team
SLOVENSKO 1999 Zvolen
Horný rad zľava: Varga Štefan tréner, Jankovič Ľuboš technický
vedúci družstva,Zemeš Jozef asistent trénera, Figura Peter, Ďuris
Jozef, Košťál Róbert, Nauš Aurel, Šalka Jaroslav, Škvarenina Radoslav, Demitra Pavol, Hojer Mojmír, Pavlikovský Rastislav, Zedník Richard,
Figurová Mária lekárka družstva, Szabó Peter technický vedúci družstva,
Mihal Jaroslav vedúci družstva
Dolný rad zľava: Babák Peter, Buchel Michal, Kašša Róbert,
Toth Peter, Giba Marián, Foltín Peter, Varga Branislav, Petrík Stanislav,Surňák Pavol, Lohnický Martin,
Dole ležia: Vácval Roman, Miklík Martin

And Slovakia´s young ball hockey player of the year in either 08 or 09 (can´t remember which one) was noone other than Richard Pánik.

Also without ball hockey Jaro Halák might never have become a hockey player as he was found by his first coach playing ball hockey in Petržalka.

Also probably the most famous ball hockey tourney in Slovakia is Stumpel Cup, which also as a junior version Stumpel Cup Junior, in which also usually the youth teams (11-14 years old I think) of the Slovak hockey teams play. Last year´s best player of the men´s part of the tourney was young forward from HKM Zvolen Michal Chovan and he was by far not the only hockey player there.

Don´t really think any of the said guys have much trouble with skating, eh?

Btw, at the recent U16/U18 Worlds our U18´s won the gold medals while the U16´s finished 2nd after they were defeated by Canada in OT, not too much competition there though. The 2011 men´s WC should be played in Slovakia next year btw.

Old
06-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:

Don´t really think any of the said guys have much trouble with skating, eh?

Ha, it's 100% opposite in the US. It's all the kids who can't or have a really tough time skating. (Atleast on the amateur level.) Terrible hockey play. Ball goes into the corner and 7 players chase after it. I refuse to play.

But that's awesome it's a big deal.

Old
06-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

All the game worn National team jerseys sold today on ebay.

Highest jersey was Halák for $1700 USD.

Hossa for 1600
Chára for 1500
Gáborík for 1500
Demtria for 1300

Lowest was Petey Budaj for $545.

Just for comparison, Sidney Crosbys jersey vs Switzerland sold for $40,000 USD.