HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Talk : Live From Montreal! Part II

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Darz

vCash: 500
Draft Talk : Live From Montreal! Part II

1st thread had to be closed due to number of posts. Feel free to continue discussion in this thread.

link to original thread:
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=4946862009

04-14-2009, 02:57 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

for those who dont know today at 5pm on tsn canada vs sweden at the u-18

a LOT of prospects to watch in this game CANT WAIT

Old
04-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Habsfan18

I'd like to see Atlanta win the lottery.

Old
04-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post

My Holland star fading out a little while Werek is taking center stage. Rajala has an incredible U-18 thus far.

Old
04-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Following a Fozz post as far as draft rankings for the upcoming draft, he was saying that if Anaheim, St-Louis and Columbus wins their series and we lose ours, we pick 15th. Isn't it only the Cup winner, the finalist, both conference finalists and division winners that see their rankings going from 30th to 24th and then the most points amongst other teams goes from 23 to 15? Meaning that Anaheim, St-Louis and Columbus will need at least to go in a Conference final to change their draft ranking that right now are ahead of us. Which should also mean that we can't pick earlier than 16 since 3 Western teams can't reach the West. Conf. Finals....

Unless I don't understand anything....

Old
04-14-2009, 04:41 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
My Holland star fading out a little while Werek is taking center stage. Rajala has an incredible U-18 thus far.
from the highlight i saw from the czech game holland did made a sweet pass to o'reilly for canada 2nd goal

Old
04-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Following a Fozz post as far as draft rankings for the upcoming draft, he was saying that if Anaheim, St-Louis and Columbus wins their series and we lose ours, we pick 15th. Isn't it only the Cup winner, the finalist, both conference finalists and division winners that see their rankings going from 30th to 24th and then the most points amongst other teams goes from 23 to 15? Meaning that Anaheim, St-Louis and Columbus will need at least to go in a Conference final to change their draft ranking that right now are ahead of us. Which should also mean that we can't pick earlier than 16 since 3 Western teams can't reach the West. Conf. Finals....

Picks from 15 to 22 are given out after the first round exits based on points in the regular season (15 to lowest, 22 to highest).

Picks from 23 to 26 are given out after the 2nd round exits (same principle).

Picks from 27 and 28 after the Conference finals. 29 and 30 after the Cup.

Old
04-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Picks from 15 to 22 are given out after the first round exits based on points in the regular season (15 to lowest, 22 to highest).

Picks from 23 to 26 are given out after the 2nd round exits (same principle).

Picks from 27 and 28 after the Conference finals. 29 and 30 after the Cup.
Thanks. Strange that some links I'm referring to doesn't seem to mention 1st and 2nd round exits..

http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/pro...raft_basic.htm

Any chance you could give me a link about it? Thanks again.

Old
04-14-2009, 05:48 PM
habsdude

Quote:

I thought the same. I'm confused

Old
04-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Thanks. Strange that some links I'm referring to doesn't seem to mention 1st and 2nd round exits..

http://proicehockey.about.com/cs/pro...raft_basic.htm

Any chance you could give me a link about it? Thanks again.
I'm not sure anymore...

EDIT: Actually, you're right...

1. First the Clubs which failed to qualify for the next preceding playoffs in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest points total and followed by the Club having the next lowest points total, and so forth.
2. The Clubs which participated in the next preceding playoffs (but had not been ranked first in their respective Divisions and did not make the Conference Finals) in order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
3. The Clubs which had been ranked first in their Divisions during the next preceding season (but had not made the Conference Finals ) in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.
4. The Clubs who lose in the Conference Finals in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points.
5. The Club which loses in the Finals shall select next to last.
6. The Stanley Cup winner shall select last, thus, positioning all Clubs on the list.

Link:
http://www.nhlscap.com/draft.htm#order

In other words, if we don't make the conference finals, the worst pick we can have is #18.

Last edited by Fozz: 04-14-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old
04-14-2009, 06:35 PM
pc_md

Quote:

Després is rock solid so far (after second). Fluid, plays the body, good hockey instinct, calm... the complete package.

Kassian : I was expecting more. I can see why people like him but he's a bit raw.

Old
04-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
In other words, if we don't make the conference finals, the worst pick we can have is #18.
Unless my link is outdated but that's how I read it.

So if we don't make the conference finals, worst is 18th pick. At the very best, if 2 of St-Louis, Anaheim and Columbus makes it to their conference final, it's 16th 'cause you can't have 3 teams making the Conf. Final (as if I needed to say that....). Then, if 1 team out of those guys makes the Conf. Final our pick will be the 17th.

Old
04-14-2009, 08:28 PM
felixd

I asked this in the last thread but no one replied and the thread got closed...has anyone seen Chris Kreider play? Sounds like a very interesting prospect, big, speedy, talented, gritty. Sounds kind of similar to Blake Wheeler but with seemingly more edge, but I've never seen him play. Anyone have an opinion on the guy?

Old
04-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
Després is rock solid so far (after second). Fluid, plays the body, good hockey instinct, calm... the complete package.

Kassian : I was expecting more. I can see why people like him but he's a bit raw.
I remember a badass Després giveaway at some point (third period?).

Werek and Kassian had underwhelming performances. I'm hoping for a lot more in the semis.

Old
04-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
I asked this in the last thread but no one replied and the thread got closed...has anyone seen Chris Kreider play? Sounds like a very interesting prospect, big, speedy, talented, gritty. Sounds kind of similar to Blake Wheeler but with seemingly more edge, but I've never seen him play. Anyone have an opinion on the guy?
Didn't answer 'cause I didn't personnaly seen him play, but all the reports seemed way too great to be true. He's exactly what we would need. Soley based on the reports, he'll be on my top 5 for our 1st pick. I'll try to see him on some videos and come back in this thread to give my report based on what I'll see if possible.

Old
04-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Didn't answer 'cause I didn't personnaly seen him play, but all the reports seemed way too great to be true. He's exactly what we would need. Soley based on the reports, he'll be on my top 5 for our 1st pick. I'll try to see him on some videos and come back in this thread to give my report based on what I'll see if possible.
I read from somebody that watched him play that he plays a similar game to Erik Cole. Definately has the mesurables to make some people wish for him indeed.

Old
04-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I remember a badass Després giveaway at some point (third period?).

Werek and Kassian had underwhelming performances. I'm hoping for a lot more in the semis.
Think it was late 2nd. Was it the weak pass behind the net that was intercepted behind it and created a big scoring chance in front? If so, he did read that his player was the only one there and I guess that he didn't put too much force on his pass which he shouldn't.

Old
04-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Think it was late 2nd. Was it the weak pass behind the net that was intercepted behind it and created a big scoring chance in front? If so, he did read that his player was the only one there and I guess that he didn't put too much force on his pass which he shouldn't.
I still wouldn't think a turnover in the slot is 'understandable'.

EDIT : also forgot to mention the brutal delay of game penalty. That was just plain stupid.

Haven't seen Després that much this season, does he normally have that many brain cramps?

Old
04-14-2009, 09:44 PM
Fozz

After watching today's game, I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't trade our first rounder for another one next year. Some of those players from the 2010 draft were amazing!

Old
04-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I still wouldn't think a turnover in the slot is 'understandable'.

EDIT : also forgot to mention the brutal delay of game penalty. That was just plain stupid.

Haven't seen Després that much this season, does he normally have that many brain cramps?
Not from what I've seen. Though I didn't concentrate in watching him so much 'cause after 3 games I was sold and was absolutely sure that he would be a top 10 pick, something I thought we would not have a shot to.

Old
04-14-2009, 11:43 PM
felixd

Quote:
Can you please send links of videos? I need to catch up with him and other high school players like Zach Budish. Thanks

Old
04-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Hermamoud

I don't know if anybody heard Stéphane Leroux's segment with Yvon Pednault on CKAC today, but he said that when he talked about Louis Leblanc with Timmins, he had big smiles and had good things to say about him.

Old
04-15-2009, 11:53 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

Well he might be available at our spot...if he's not, it will open the door for a falling player...I'm curious to see if we will try to trade up or trade down...

Trade up because the draft is in Montreal...

Trade down because we don't have a second round pick...

Both possibilities.

As for Després, I'm just not that impressed with him. I saw him play early in the season versus the Moncton Wildcats and he was overshadowed by Brandon Gormley who is a rookie in the league. Després sure has qualities, but his upside isn't great IMO. I don't see how his offence will translate to the NHL, and he's not really physical to be a shut down guy. Bottom line is he'll be the guy that you want on your team, but won't be that easy to replace...

Old
04-16-2009, 12:06 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

Well he might be available at our spot...if he's not, it will open the door for a falling player...I'm curious to see if we will try to trade up or trade down...

Trade up because the draft is in Montreal...

Trade down because we don't have a second round pick...

Both possibilities.

As for Després, I'm just not that impressed with him. I saw him play early in the season versus the Moncton Wildcats and he was overshadowed by Brandon Gormley who is a rookie in the league. Després sure has qualities, but his upside isn't great IMO. I don't see how his offence will translate to the NHL, and he's not really physical to be a shut down guy. Bottom line is he'll be the guy that you want on your team, but won't be that easy to replace...

when i see Depres i think of a bigger M-E Vlasic version and btw Gormley of moncton is amazing for a 16yo

Old
04-16-2009, 01:42 AM
vad87

I would like to know more about Jeremy Morin. What kind of player is he? Center or LW ?( contradition between some sites) Could he be a good fit in MTL?

Closed Thread