HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Talk : Live From Montreal! Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
The bizarre dislike for Evander Kane is getting stranger by the minute. I like Landon Ferraro but he is nowhere near being in the same prospect class as Kane.

--Kane 48 goals; Ferraro 37 goals
--Kane 96 points; Ferraro 55 points
--Kane is listed by Central Scouting at 6'1.25" and 176 lbs; Ferraro 5'11.25" and 165 lbs
--Kane played key role in Canada's 2009 gold medal team against the best players in the world; Ferraro didn't get invited to camp
--CSB final rankings has Kane at #3 among NA born players; Ferraro is #18 for NA
--ISS April rankings has Kane at #5; Ferraro at #17
--TSN's rankings on draft lottery day (April) has Kane at #4; Ferraro not listed in top 15 (Ferraro was ranked #23 in TSN's mid-year ranking)
--McKeen's spring rankings has Kane at #3; Ferraro not listed in Top 10
--RLR's April rankings has Kane at #5; Ferraro not listed in Top 10
--Scouts sitting next to me at WJC games in Ottawa were drooling over Kane's play and upside; Chomsky from HF Boards says Kane isn't worth trading up for.

I have nothing against Ferraro as a prospect and have him on my shortlist of possibilities for the Habs at #18. But why should I take anyone here serious when they groundlessly suggest Kane is going to be a bust? The sky is the limit for this kid. He is a top tier prospect. He's fast, he's growing like a weed, his development is progressing at a highly accelarated pace, he's great along the wall, he has great hands, his game is multi-dimensional, he plays well defensively, he was a valuable asset in the WJC as a 17 year old against the best 19 year olds in the world, etc.

The Habs haven't selected a forward who was this highly heralded, leading up to the draft, in almost 30 years.
Where in hell did I say that Ferraro is a better prospect than Kane? I just have that kind of feeling that the kid is overrated and will disappoint. I highly doubt he won't make it to the NHL, but I believe he will disappoint. Am I entitled to my opinion? Yes. Do I give a **** what you think about it? Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post
I don't think Kane will bust, but I've also said all year long that comparisons to Iginla are unfair and inaccurate. I've seen him probably at least 25 times this year in regular season, WJC and playoffs and despite this I'm still unsure about what kind of player Kane will be at the next level. I'm just trying to say that to me, Kane is anything but a sure bet. He may end up being an explosive 40G scorer in the NHL, he may be a solid top 6 player, or he may be a 3rd line checker who brings speed and sandpaper to your line up.

6'0 180lbs is very small for the style he plays. He obviously will continue to grow but people expecting him to be a powerforward who will physically dominate the opposition may be disappointed. To me he doesn't project to have have the natural strength and brute force (not to mention mean streak) which allows a guy like Iginla to dominate physically despite his relatively small size. (6'1 210lbs)

Plus his playoff performance was very underwhelming. He showed a lack of discipline and composure with the number of useless penalties he took in each series not to mention he was clearly frustrated at not being able to maneuver through the tight checking. If he's struggling against WHL caliber defencemen when he's watched closely, what will it be like in the NHL? Obviously I don't expect him to continue to struggle, but his performance in the playoffs did show that he has a ways to go before he's NHL ready imo.

*Also, I think the poster was just using Ferraro's goal total to make the argument about hyping a prospect, not necessarily putting Ferraro in Kane's class (which he obviously is not.)
Couldn't have said it better, thanks.

Indeed, I was.

Old
05-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Kane measured in at 6'1.25" according to NHL's Central Scouting's final rankings. These are the measurements that NHL teams use. Kane could end up being a pretty big boy by the time he's in the NHL as he was listed at 5'10" last summer. Also, he won so many battles in the corners and along the wall during the WJC, and played his best in the big games. He has so many tools. It's all a moot point anyway because it's doubtful the Habs can afford to trade the necessary assets that it will take to land Kane in the draft.
Kane had an impressive tournament, but his speed really accounted for most of his chances. I liked his drive for the net, but I just have that strange feeling, can't explain it. I hope he proves me wrong. But I wouldn't trade up for him except of course if the price is cheap, which would be suspect.

Quote:
I understand that but it wasn't a fair "hype" comparison given Kane's point totals and overall pedigree.
Thing is, a lot of prospects get huge hypes from the WJC and tons end up being busts or disappointments. I feel Kane may be one.

Old
05-11-2009, 08:53 PM
vad87

For those who saw Leblanc play often this year, I would like to know if the comparaisons between him and Mike Richards are fair? I have read some reports on Leblanc about his great defensive game, dangerous on PK, some grit when needed and of course, very good offensive skills. Both are around 6'0'' 190lbs . He seems to be a complete player and even if I'm not in the Leblanc bandwagon, the more I read about him more I like him. I don't think that he's just a pre-draft french player hype. At 22/23 years old, he could be 6'1'' 205 lbs. It's a good size and he's right handed. If these comparaisons aren't good, his style could be compared with which NHL player?

Old
05-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Kane had an impressive tournament, but his speed really accounted for most of his chances. I liked his drive for the net, but I just have that strange feeling, can't explain it. I hope he proves me wrong. But I wouldn't trade up for him except of course if the price is cheap, which would be suspect.
Quote:
Thing is, a lot of prospects get huge hypes from the WJC and tons end up being busts or disappointments. I feel Kane may be one.
Quote:
Where in hell did I say that Ferraro is a better prospect than Kane? I just have that kind of feeling that the kid is overrated and will disappoint. I highly doubt he won't make it to the NHL, but I believe he will disappoint. Am I entitled to my opinion? Yes. Do I give a **** what you think about it? Nope.
And do I give a **** what someone thinks who bases his opinion on a hunch rather than on performance, statistics, scouting reports, and hard evidence?

Not a chance.

Old
05-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic View Post
Kreider playes in the US prep league, it's less competitive but still a well known league. The Habs have had, Higgins, Pacioretty and Paquet all play in the same league as Kreider so they know what to expect from that league vs Kopitar who I assume is the only player drafted from Slovenia although I could be wrong.
I think he is a sleeper in this first round ... IMO he could very well end up the best center out of the mid ranked (Kadri, Glennie, Shore, Holland, Leblanc, Ferraro, Caron, Werek).

I still whish we acquire a second 1st round this year and draft two forwards out of the above list (where one of them would be Kreider ... I would be quite pleased with Kreider and Leblanc).

Old
05-13-2009, 04:01 AM
eightyseven

Have you seen this article? French Matt Duchene article

He basically says his top 3 choices are Toronto, Colorado and Montreal. Unfortunately, Montreal scouts haven't talked to him since they're in no position to draft him. If somehow they could trade up, it would be great. I honestly want Toronto or Montreal to snag him, Canadian franchises deserve elite talent.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Habsfan18

I just know many of the fans in attendance will boo our 1st round pick if he's not from Quebec.

It sucks, but weather you guys want to admit it or not..you know it's going to happen.

I hope that Bob, Trevor and crew let their potential picks know that this is likely to happen, and to not take it personally.

That has to be such a crappy feeling..

And I know this is going to sound harsh, but if our pick gets booed out of the building, I hope Montreal never gets another entry draft again.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
Have you seen this article? French Matt Duchene article

He basically says his top 3 choices are Toronto, Colorado and Montreal. Unfortunately, Montreal scouts haven't talked to him since they're in no position to draft him. If somehow they could trade up, it would be great. I honestly want Toronto or Montreal to snag him, Canadian franchises deserve elite talent.
Call me crazy, but I would sell the farm team for this guy. That's just how great I think he'll become. Tavares will be the highest scorer, Duchene will be the most valuable.

Old
05-13-2009, 10:24 AM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Call me crazy, but I would sell the farm team for this guy. That's just how great I think he'll become. Tavares will be the highest scorer, Duchene will be the most valuable.
I would do the same thing White But we're way too far in the draft to hope that Gainey moves that high. I would sell the farm even if we were picking 7th/8th. This kid is special.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:00 AM
kingdok
HFBoards Sponsor

I can probably find it somewhere in a thread but I'll just ask it now.

How much it is ($) to go see the draft at the bell center? Is there even a charge or is it free?

thank you and sorry for the probable repeating.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:12 AM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

We should do what Tampa Bay did with Steven Stamkos lol. Throw out some advertising/propaganda, call the radio stations during talk shows, and encourage fans to cheer the player we draft instead of booing them.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I just know many of the fans in attendance will boo our 1st round pick if he's not from Quebec.

It sucks, but weather you guys want to admit it or not..you know it's going to happen.

I hope that Bob, Trevor and crew let their potential picks know that this is likely to happen, and to not take it personally.

And I know this is going to sound harsh, but if our pick gets booed out of the building, I hope Montreal never gets another entry draft again.
Why, so?

Old
05-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Why, so?
Because, and this is assuming the crowd will boo our pick if he's not from Quebec, it's ****ing embarrassing as a fanbase. Every fanbase has their fair share of idiots, but there's no denying we have the cream of the crop.

Just my opinion, you guys don't have to like it. I don't really care

Old
05-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Because, and this is assuming the crowd will boo our pick if he's not from Quebec, it's ****ing embarrassing as a fanbase. Every fanbase has their fair share of idiots, but there's no denying we have the cream of the crop.

It is so obvious that it will happen. Not sure about how strong it will be, that remains to be seen. Let's hope that others will be in the arena to cheer for him once he wears the sweater.

But since our pick will be Louis Leblanc, what will happen is that Timmins is going to be booed when he'll start speaking, then you'll hear some boos when they'll hear "from the USHL", and then some cheers when they'll hear Louis Leblanc.

Timmins would be intelligent if he just skipped the whole USHL part and go on with the Leblanc one....

Old
05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Fozz

Quote:

Who cares about the crowd and what fans do? Did you really think people will associate you with them because you're a fan of the team? Are you ashamed because of them? People take this team way too seriously.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Chomsky

Quote:
It is so obvious that it will happen. Not sure about how strong it will be, that remains to be seen. Let's hope that others will be in the arena to cheer for him once he wears the sweater.

But since our pick will be Louis Leblanc, what will happen is that Timmins is going to be booed when he'll start speaking, then you'll hear some boos when they'll hear "from the USHL", and then some cheers when they'll hear Louis Leblanc.

Timmins would be intelligent if he just skipped the whole USHL part and go on with the Leblanc one....
To be honest, I doubt the organization let ****ing idiots get tickets, so if there are boos, they will be low. And I'll go punch them in the throat.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
To be honest, I doubt the organization let ****ing idiots get tickets, so if there are boos, they will be low. And I'll go punch them in the throat.
If it's the same as last year in Ottawa, season ticket holders automatically get draft tickets.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:

Or just tell the crowd he's from the QMJHL, many in attendance would believe that anyways.

Old
05-13-2009, 11:56 AM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

we're going to draft Louis Leblanc or trade that pick thats how i see it happening come draft day

im 110% sure if the pick is not from Quebec or the qmjhl habs fan will boo the pick

Old
05-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Habsfan18

Why is everyone assuming we'll draft Louis Leblanc? Has Timmins come out and say he's interested in Leblanc?

I guess he would get to see quite a bit of him, considering he's Kristo's teammate.

Old
05-13-2009, 12:01 PM
JohnnyReb

Just say "the Montreal Canadiens are pleased to select, from Montreal, Quebec..."

Leblanc, as an aside, was named the Omaha Lancer's season MVP (ahead of Danny Kristo). I wonder what the media will say when they discover just how English he is?

Old
05-13-2009, 12:05 PM
JeromeHP
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Why is everyone assuming we'll draft Louis Leblanc? Has Timmins come out and say he's interested in Leblanc?

I guess he would get to see quite a bit of him, considering he's Kristo's teammate.

well i said Leblanc because if we draft a quebecers in the 1st rd it will be Leblanc imo (i dont see any other quebecers at 18th who could be a good option, i know Depres but i dont really want him)

and Stephane Leroux of rds ask Timmins about Leblanc and Timmins didnt say anything but had a big smile in his face and Leroux said the feeling he got was Timmins did like Leblanc)

Old
05-13-2009, 12:25 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:

Timmins has not come out to say anything, he's afraid of the fire that might be lit up underneath him

Old
05-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
well i said Leblanc because if we draft a quebecers in the 1st rd it will be Leblanc imo (i dont see any other quebecers at 18th who could be a good option, i know Depres but i dont really want him)

and Stephane Leroux of rds ask Timmins about Leblanc and Timmins didnt say anything but had a big smile in his face and Leroux said the feeling he got was Timmins did like Leblanc)
I'd rather have Kreider, Ferraro or Holland myself..

But again when was the interview? Things change fast in hockey.

Old
05-13-2009, 12:30 PM

Are there videos of prospects in action like last year?

Closed Thread