Old
04-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Chevy Cheveldae

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
CHL gets new expansion team

http://www.kansas.com/sports/updates/story/772756.html

Quote:
A still-unnamed team in the Central Hockey League will begin play this fall in Independence, Mo., serving as anchor tenant in the Independence Events Center being built just southeast of I-70 and I-470..

On Monday night, the city unanimously approved a 10-year lease with the minor league franchise, which will be in the same league as the Wichita Thunder.

By contract, the team name has to include the words "Independence" or "Missouri" or both, Heacock said.

Chevy Cheveldae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2009, 10:38 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

And welcome to the ice, your Missouri Huckleberries!

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:42 AM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

They're expected to use "Independence" in their name.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Lionheart

Missouri Otters/River Otters would be nice from a fan's POV. Nice to see some GOOD news in minor hockey for a change.

Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:59 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky born Pilot View Post
They're expected to use "Independence" in their name.
How about

Independence Iru-os-sim River Otters?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Lionheart

TWO new franchises for next season! O_O

Quote:
04/15/2009 11:07 AM
Central Hockey League Welcomes Team in Allen, Texas
Expansion Club to Play in New Allen Event Center

The Central Hockey League (CHL) is pleased to announce the addition of an Allen, Texas franchise for the 2009-10 season, following approval from the Allen City Council on the team’s lease with the new Allen Event Center. Ownership of the CHL team has been awarded to Top Shelf, LLC whose local presence in the city of Allen and its surrounding regions was most attractive to the CHL’s Board of Directors and CHL Commissioner Duane Lewis.

“We are extremely pleased to welcome the City of Allen and the members of Top Shelf, LLC to the Central Hockey League,” said Lewis. “The location of the team along with the area’s demographics and the superb new facility combined with outstanding ownership will make the Allen group one of the top CHL organizations.”

The principal owners and operators of Top Shelf, LLC are Douglas H. Miller and former NHL star Steve Duchesne.

Miller is the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of EXCO Resources, Inc. and has been a major contributor to youth hockey in the Dallas area for the past 17 years. His financial contributions have significantly impacted the growth and development of hockey and hockey players in Dallas and he is a main reason for the reputation ‘Dallas Hockey’ has globally.

Duchesne is a former NHL defenseman who played in 1,113 career games in the NHL over 17 seasons. The high-scoring defenseman ranks 17th on the NHL’s all-time defensemen scoring list and has won a Stanley Cup Ring with the Detroit Red Wings in 2002. Since moving to Dallas, he has been very active in the youth hockey community and was a coach for the Dallas Stars Midget AAA Hockey club in 2007.

“We are excited about the opportunity to be part of this outstanding community and the Allen Event Center,” said Duchesne, Owner/President of Top Shelf LLC. “We are committed to enhancing the quality of life for Allen and the surrounding communities and to providing a quality product both on and off the ice."

The team will become the eighth active franchise in the state of Texas and will call the new state-of-the-art Allen Event Center home. The new building will seat 6,235 fans for hockey and is currently under construction with an opening planned for November 2009. Also announced on Wednesday is an affiliation between the CHL team in Allen and the National Hockey League’s Dallas Stars to develop young players for the NHL team.

‘We believe that given the hockey experience the Top Shelf organization brings to the CHL, an affiliation with them will be strategic as one of the spokes of that player development strategy,” said Jeff Cogen, President of the Dallas Stars. “We wish them great success in the undertaking, and look forward to working with them in developing future NHL Dallas Stars.”

“With the construction of the Allen Event Center speeding toward completion, it is exciting to make this team announcement,” said Stephen Terrell, Mayor of the City of Allen. “The Allen team will benefit by an ownership group with deep ties to the area community and the sport of hockey. The further affiliation with the Dallas Stars is another perk that will work to benefit the start-up of our minor league hockey team.”

Temporary offices have been set up for the team just adjacent to the event center in the new Village at Allen development and permanent offices for the hockey club will eventually be located on site at the facility.

The team has established a temporary site at http://www.allenprohockey.com/.

More information about the new Allen Event Center can be found at www.thealleneventcenter.com.

About the CHL
The CHL is currently playing its 17th season, with 18 member teams across 10 states. The CHL saw close to two million fans attend games during the 2008-09 season and has led North American professional ‘AA’ hockey leagues in average attendance in six of the past eight seasons. The CHL is administered by a wholly-owned subsidiary of Global Entertainment Corporation (NYSE Amex: GEE), a company engaged in sports management, multi-purpose events and entertainment center and related real estate development, facility and venue management and marketing, and venue ticketing. For more information about the CHL visit the league’s website at www.centralhockeyleague.com.
If every existing team survives the post-season (and there's no real indication that they won't), the CHL will have its largest number of teams next season.

Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
TexasShark

Allen announced their team name "Allen Americans"

TexasShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 12:52 PM
pelts35.com

The Coyotes arena could be vacant for the 09-10 season come June 30. I wouldn't be surprised if a team ends up moving in there.

Old
05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
AceFace905

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
The Coyotes arena could be vacant for the 09-10 season come June 30. I wouldn't be surprised if a team ends up moving in there.
A whole 4mil+ market up for grabs the CHL could work there I'd imagine... Shreveport and New Mexico are both shaky right now, TBH if they moved in there though I'd put the team in Veterans Memorial Coliseum--smaller, probably would be cheaper to run than America West or Jobing.

AceFace905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2009, 07:32 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFace905 View Post
A whole 4mil+ market up for grabs the CHL could work there I'd imagine... Shreveport and New Mexico are both shaky right now, TBH if they moved in there though I'd put the team in Veterans Memorial Coliseum--smaller, probably would be cheaper to run than America West or Jobing.

AceFace:

Glendale and the Phoenix market will likely not be settled until 2010 at the earliest, not June 30th, remember the RoadRunners also failed and had the franchise stripped under the ECHL bylaws and based off what Pensacola is doing in the SPHL, the ECHL now essentially for 5 years can hang on to restarting a franchise

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 12:29 AM
sbkbghockey

The CHL needs to be careful (especially in poor economic times) not to expand too much! We're seeing what happens to a minor league that's too spread out and in unsteady hockey markets with the ECHL right now.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 09:03 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFace905 View Post
Except that if the Coyotes leave, then there's a new building with no tenant. The arena may very well give a lease away to get someone in there.

That said, perhaps an affordable product in a state of the art arena might draw well.

Either way, it would probably be better than the building being dark for 30+ nights in the winter.

Old
05-08-2009, 10:54 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

With the slow pace of the legal system, the Phoenix situation may not be resolved before the end of the calendar year (which means the team will probably be playing in Glendale for the upcoming season).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2009, 01:36 PM
paul-laus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
The CHL needs to be careful (especially in poor economic times) not to expand too much! We're seeing what happens to a minor league that's too spread out and in unsteady hockey markets with the ECHL right now.
Expanding? They're adding two this year and they added Rapid City last year. Now let's go over the teams that they've lost in the last couple years. Texas, Lubbock, Austin, Youngstown, and they're about to lose Shreveport, and maybe Broomfield, and New Mexico. Much like the SPHL, there is no expansion going on but rather a desperate attempt at trying to replace the 2-3 teams that they lose every year. It's like taking two steps forward and three steps back.

On a different topic, does anybody know if this expansion team in Vail Colorado is really being discussed. I know it's not much of a source, but I've noticed that Wikipedia already has Vail under a future expansion site on the CHL's page. Earlier in the year, there was some talk about Vail. Anyone heard anything?

paul-laus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 01:34 PM
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola

I read your post last night while on pain meds and I wanted to be able to reply sober to make sure my point got across: Expansion is adding teams. If a league losses three team and add two, they still expanded by 2 teams. The net gain may be -1 because of contraction, but they still expanded by two.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2009, 04:00 PM
paul-laus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky born Pilot View Post
I read your post last night while on pain meds and I wanted to be able to reply sober to make sure my point got across: Expansion is adding teams. If a league losses three team and add two, they still expanded by 2 teams. The net gain may be -1 because of contraction, but they still expanded by two.
Fair enough. Pehaps some distorted logic...but I can't help but think much like the sphl, there is some serious "sugar-coating" going on. Great, the CHL moves into Allen and Independence. These strides would be impressive for the league if they could manage to stabalize their other markets which they can't. So what you have here is-"Great news for the league as we move into new markets!" But in reality-"Whew, that was a close one, as these new markets will help deflect the attention away from the loss of two of our longest standing markets in Shreveport and New Mexico".

You might question my rationale, but I couldn't care less. Expansion to me, is mantaining your current numbers while adding more. Not adding two while losing two. Where's the progression for the league that way? And please don't hand me the "less is more" or "addition by subtraction" stuff as I've always thought that was an easy way out for guys like Brosal. What would the fall-out have been had the NHL moved into Columbus and Minnesota while collapsing in Tampa and Anaheim. Would the talk be focused solely on the successful expansion into two untapped markets? Or would their be a more sombre tone as the league also lost markets?

paul-laus is offline   Reply With Quote