HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I hope Gainey doesant fall for something stupid like.....

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Pax Macioretty

vCash: 500
I hope Gainey doesant fall for something stupid like.....

signing the players that are to be UFA, even though we're having a good season let's not forget that we're still rebuilding

that means no Perreault, Juneau, Sundstrom, Quintal or any others in that category except Kovalev and Langdon, here's what i hope next year....

Perrezhogin/Kastytin-Koivu-Zednick
Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Bulis-Higgins-Ward/Dackell
Langdon-Bégin- GOON

As for Kovalev and Langdon, i say we should sign both of them to a 1 year deal and a team option for the second year, like Gilmour

Souray-Komi
Bouillon-Brisebois*
Rivet-Markov
Since 2004-2005 will be Brezzer's last year, io think we could trade him so that we can bring up Hainsey, since he has to perform next year or it's over.

tell me what you think.

Old
03-17-2004, 08:30 PM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Kovalev will want more than a 1 year contract

They're were rumors that Langdon would go back to VAN after the season because of friends and family, who knows.

Gainey won't be stupid and whatever he does will be the right move, don't worry

We do, however, have to re-sign Riberio and Souray

And make a spot for Hainsey, if he's not in the lineup, he'll be labeled as a bust.

Old
03-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Thomas

Send a message via MSN to Thomas
Hainsey and Hossa will be in the same bind Ryder was in at the beginning of the year, they will have to clear waivers in order to play for Hamilton. As much as some fans dont like these 2 players (especially Hainsey), I think a lot of teams would like to get their hands on them if they were ever put on waivers. Taking that into account, they will most likely be given every chance to succeed unless they are moved at the draft.

Sundstrom is also an RFA and not UFA, so he may be qualified and asked to stick around. Dowd said hed be interested in sticking around, most likely because it doesnt look like Minny will want him back now that they are rebuilding. He would be a good veteran presence for the 3rd or 4th line and could show Higgins the ropes and help him throughout the year.

Old
03-17-2004, 08:39 PM
HabsBaby18*

Gainey is intelligent , not a dumbass like Houle , get that in your mind

Old
03-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Habber

Sundstrom's a good guy to keep around. I'll bet BG tries to sign him.

Old
03-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsBaby18
Gainey is intelligent , not a dumbass like Houle , get that in your mind
I know he is but he's not alone, that's the problem.

Old
03-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
signing the players that are to be UFA, even though we're having a good season let's not forget that we're still rebuilding

that means no Perreault, Juneau, Sundstrom, Quintal or any others in that category except Kovalev and Langdon, here's what i hope next year....

Perrezhogin/Kastytin-Koivu-Zednick
Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Bulis-Higgins-Ward/Dackell
Langdon-Bégin- GOON

As for Kovalev and Langdon, i say we should sign both of them to a 1 year deal and a team option for the second year, like Gilmour

Souray-Komi
Bouillon-Brisebois*
Rivet-Markov
Since 2004-2005 will be Brezzer's last year, io think we could trade him so that we can bring up Hainsey, since he has to perform next year or it's over.

tell me what you think.

GOON=DOWD

Old
03-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
GOON=DOWD
It's the first time i hear someone calling Dowd a goon
Back to being serious, it was shown againts the Laffs last saturday that Langdon needs help, hopefully a young guy, like Peters or Fedoruk, the more goons you have, the better the show

Old
03-17-2004, 09:08 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
Apart Gainey, there is Andre Savard (we all know he's a draft genius and good talent analyst), Pierre Gauthier (was GM of the Mighty Ducks for a while, can't be that bad...), Trevor Timmins, Claude Julien of course (some may still not like him, but give the guy credit for the awesome job he's doing with this team), Doug Jarvis at Hamilton... I don't know for you, but it's quite different than the Houle-era, isn't it ?

Edit: Forgot to add CJ

Last edited by Vasculio: 03-17-2004 at 09:13 PM.
Old
03-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Carbonneau

Quote:

Horrible comment. MTL final has a management team and coaches that will lead this team in the right direction. The only thing we need is Guy Carbonneau, but he won't come back unless he's head coach and that won't be happening next year.

Old
03-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Agalloch

I think if all the UFA's are not signed for next year except for Langdon and Kovalev there will be some open spot for rookies.

I think the lineup will look somethink like this:

Hossa-Koivu-Zednik
Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Bulis-Bégin-Sundstrom
Langdon-Higgins*-Ward

*Rookies

Souray-Brisebois
Bouillon-Komisarek
Markov-Rivet
Dykhuis/Hainsey

Last edited by Agalloch: 03-18-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old
03-17-2004, 10:02 PM
hosehead

I don't see any reason to worry -- In Dallas BG proved that he knows how to put together a team that is competitive year after year. I'm confident that he will make an accurate assessment of the team at the end of the year & make appropriate moves & signings.

The Habs have experienced talent evaluators in the front office & that is going to be a big advantage over the next couple of seasons as we hopefully see the team progress.

Old
03-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau

And make a spot for Hainsey, if he's not in the lineup, he'll be labeled as a bust.
Or picked up at the waiver draft and play on another team is whole carrer .

Old
03-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Carbonneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4ticx
I think if all the UFA's are not signed for next year except for Langdon and Kovalev there will be some open spot for rookies.

I think the lineup will look somethink like this:

Hossa-Koivu-Zednik
Ryder-Ribeiro-Kovalev
Bulis-Bégin-Sundstrom
Langdon-Higgins*-Ward

*Rookies

Souray-Brisebois
Bouillon-Komisarek
Hainsey-Rivet
Dykhuis

Where's Markov??

Old
03-17-2004, 11:22 PM
EaGLE1

Anyway, i think there will be no hockey next year :mad:

Old
03-17-2004, 11:23 PM
Rectificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Sundstrom's a good guy to keep around. I'll bet BG tries to sign him.
Desagree, Sunny is a soft average and overpaid third liner... We have all what it takes to replace him and get a third line that also can produce with regularity! IMO Sundstrom is'nt a charactere guy and he wont come back with us, neither Dackell!

We can have 3 offensively minded lines, here are mines: (taking in consideration that Kovalev will resign with us)

Higgins Koivu Kovalev

Hossa Ribeiro Ryder

Zednik Plekanec Perezhogin

Begin Dowd Dwyer or Langdon if resigned

I dont think Bulis will fit in Habs plans anymore...

Old
03-17-2004, 11:54 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectificator
Desagree, Sunny is a soft average and overpaid third liner... We have all what it takes to replace him and get a third line that also can produce with regularity! IMO Sundstrom is'nt a charactere guy and he wont come back with us, neither Dackell!

We can have 3 offensively minded lines, here are mines: (taking in consideration that Kovalev will resign with us)

Higgins Koivu Kovalev

Hossa Ribeiro Ryder

I dont think Bulis will fit in Habs plans anymore...
Removing Bulis and Sundstrom is brilliant. We'll see a much improved PK without them. :p

Without the sarcasm though, Bulis and Sundstrom are integral parts of this team's success. You can't go into a season thinking of playing three offensive lines with 4 rookies, 2 youngsters and 1 potential UFA. That's fantasy league thinking.

Bulis and Sundstrom are complementary players. They're versatile, they don't complain, and they're strong at the fundamental parts of the game; parts of the game that a Koivu, Ribeiro, or other high-risk offensive players are not. Begin and Dowd do not begin to fill either of Sundstrom nor Bulis' shoes. Simply put: they're different players, and you need the Bulis' and Sundstrom's to be successful.

I would agree that Sundstrom's overpaid, so it will be interesting to see how things pan out this summer. If he's lost though to free agency, it will be a blow to the Canadiens.

Old
03-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Rectificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Removing Bulis and Sundstrom is brilliant. We'll see a much improved PK without them. :p

Without the sarcasm though, Bulis and Sundstrom are integral parts of this team's success. You can't go into a season thinking of playing three offensive lines with 4 rookies, 2 youngsters and 1 potential UFA. That's fantasy league thinking.

Bulis and Sundstrom are complementary players. They're versatile, they don't complain, and they're strong at the fundamental parts of the game; parts of the game that a Koivu, Ribeiro, or other high-risk offensive players are not. Begin and Dowd do not begin to fill either of Sundstrom nor Bulis' shoes. Simply put: they're different players, and you need the Bulis' and Sundstrom's to be successful.

I would agree that Sundstrom's overpaid, so it will be interesting to see how things pan out this summer. If he's lost though to free agency, it will be a blow to the Canadiens.
Fundamental parts of the game? Give me some details about that, I'm very interrested to know..

Fact is that Bulis is first and one a great forechecker, he is reliable defensively but no more, his defensive game has been way overrated while he played with Juneau last year! Juneau is the type of center that play a very intelligent type of game, he does'nt produce offensively but is very effective to shut the opponents down when you give him fresh legs like Bulis or Ward that can forcheck hard! (Talking about ward, I forgot him in my line up... should be on the fourth)

Sunny now, he is'nt fast, too soft along the board for me, not big, not physical but is good defensively... Enough said, I take Perezhogin way before him!

As for the PK.. Dowd, Ward, Begin, Plekanec can all play there and make the job done IMO!

Edit: You can't go into a season thinking of playing three offensive lines with 4 rookies, 2 youngsters and 1 potential UFA. That's fantasy league thinking.

If you look carefully I put Higgins with 2 vets, I put Plekanec and Perezhogin with Zeddy... And when you look at what Ribeiro and Ryder are doing togheter, I don't think integrate Hossa to this line would be a problem! (They were playing well by the way just before Hossa got sent down, they were all 3 reunited and it was a very refreshing line to watch)

Last edited by Rectificator: 03-18-2004 at 12:44 AM.
Old
03-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Marksman

Higgins Koivu Kovalev

Hossa Ribeiro Ryder

Wow. You live in 80ies. They play defensive hockey these days you know.

Just curious which one of those lines, you would use checking opponents top line?

You have Koivu and Kovalev that are supposed to be the most productive offensive players on the team watching over rookie. Your 3rd line has two rookies, and sniper that only works well with Koivu. I assure you there's no chance we see 4 rookie forwards on the team at the same time - two of those spots go to Bulis and Ward, and third possibly for Sundström.

Old
03-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Bob Bastards

In french they say: "Chat echauder, crain l'eau froide."
After 10+ year of Houle management, bad drafting and soft overpay player, we are always scare that some dumba$$ GM will scrap our team. We have to put in our head that Gainey is the GM now, one of the most respected GM in the league and one of the greatest Habs captain of all time. He will choose the right thing to do, have some faith...

Old
03-18-2004, 09:44 AM
Agalloch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
Where's Markov??
Oops! That's true... Maybe we will carry 8 defenders or buy out the remainder of Dykhuis' contract.

Old
03-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Rectificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
Higgins Koivu Kovalev

Hossa Ribeiro Ryder

Wow. You live in 80ies. They play defensive hockey these days you know.

Just curious which one of those lines, you would use checking opponents top line?

You have Koivu and Kovalev that are supposed to be the most productive offensive players on the team watching over rookie. Your 3rd line has two rookies, and sniper that only works well with Koivu. I assure you there's no chance we see 4 rookie forwards on the team at the same time - two of those spots go to Bulis and Ward, and third possibly for Sundström.
I dont think opposing our first line to the best would be a problem... Higgins Koivu Kovalev could play against anyone IMO... The Sens play 3 offensive minded lines that play in the system so I don't see why we could'nt!

Old
03-18-2004, 11:54 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

How about Ian Laperrière? The guy hits like Begin and plays defensively like Sundstrom. He even said a few times that he dreams to play in Montreal. He would also cost less than Sundstrom... I would try to keep Kovalev and Dowd. With the money saved with the loss of Juneau, Perreault, Dackell, Sundstrom and Quintal I'd say that we will have the money for Kovy and Dowd. My 23 man roster (healthy) would look like that

Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev
Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik
Begin-Dowd-Bulis
Higgins-Laperriere-Ward
(Plekanec, Langdon)

Souray-Brisebois
Markov-Rivet
Bouillon-Komisarek
(Hainsey???)

Theodore
Garon

Old
03-18-2004, 12:54 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Rectificator, any team that still has guys like Gainey and Julien at the helm is going to strive for a balance of offensive and defensive players. Great lunch pail guys like Dowd and Begin will always have a place on these teams. Guys like Bulis provide you with so much versatility, and his speed and decent shot make him an ideal candidate for rising amongst the elite of both third liners and PK'ers in this league. I don't see the Habs cutting him loose anytime soon.

As for Sunny, he is another key role player. An ex-offensive junior star who has evolved into a good defensive minded forward. The problem is that his $1.95M salary is a bit rich for a third liner, and his RFA status means that a Habs qualifying offer would be quite rich. If BG can pull a Kilger with him and get him to resign for less, then that would be a good deal. Otherwise, he may very well price himself out of our longer term plans. After all, when Begin gives you all every night for $400K and Dowd does the same for $775K, $2M seems a bit steep.

Last edited by NWT Habs Fan: 03-18-2004 at 12:57 PM.
Old
03-18-2004, 01:01 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ax²+bx+c
Ryder-Koivu-Kovalev
Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik
Begin-Dowd-Bulis
Higgins-Laperriere-Ward
(Plekanec, Langdon)

Souray-Brisebois
Markov-Rivet
Bouillon-Komisarek
(Hainsey???)

Theodore
Garon
That's not too far off how I see it panning out, barring any major moves by Gainey in the off season. I have learnt not to try and out guess this guy, as he makes some great and unexpected moves at his own pace!!

I see Gainey shopping for grit and size this summer. He has Hossa, Pleks and Perezhogin all who should come to camp hoping to pull a Ryder and get on the roster...and a couple of them should with the spots opening up. Still missing that size issue that I am sure Gainey wants to address sooner rather than later.

Closed Thread