HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Todd rant: Playoffs mean payoffs

Old
04-13-2009, 09:26 AM
hashmi842*

vCash: 500
Jack Todd rant: Playoffs mean payoffs

Enough said, this centennial season has been a disaster. From the off ice rumours to the barber jerseys, Gillett wants to get every penny he can get from this team, and making the first round will bring in another 15 Million dollars. Gainey even said it the goal was to make playoffs, how long are we going to tolerate this crap? We want the cup, and We are the best fans, and all we get is making the playoffs.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Sport...366/story.html

hashmi842* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:42 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

I don't get what the issue is here.. Everyone including myself was very happy with the team we had assembled for this season.. sure we saw a couple holes, but we were happy with it..

What do you honestly want? There's been injuries, langer is out.. **** happens.. We have a fine owner. It's no secret playoffs bring in cash.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:45 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Come on they are in the playoffs and who knows what can happen from there. I have no issue with the barbershop jersey, it is part of our history which is why they used it. AS for making $15M per series...who cares? I rather the team make money so it can continue to spend close to the cap then not.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-13-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Play nice
beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Lone Rogue

Gillette is only owning this team to make money.

Winning a Stanley Cup makes you more money than a first round exit.

He wants the Cup because it makes him more money.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Gillette is only owning this team to make money.

Winning a Stanley Cup makes you more money than a first round exit.

He wants the Cup because it makes him more money.
And your point is? Obviously Gillett bought the Canadiens to be profitable, but it's not like money is the only thing he cares about.

He's been deeply respectful of the history of the team and is quite obviously a fan as well. I really don't get how there can be any hate at all towards the man -- he's been a great owner and I hope he doesn't sell the team.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
And your point is? Obviously Gillett bought the Canadiens to be profitable, but it's not like money is the only thing he cares about.
My point was, its absolutely stupid to think that the guy only cares about a playoff birth. Why wouldn't he want an extra $15M for the second round? Or the third round? Or the Cup Finals?

Gillette does whats right for the team, and whats right... makes money.

Quote:
He's been deeply respectful of the history of the team and is quite obviously a fan as well. I really don't get how there can be any hate at all towards the man -- he's been a great owner and I hope he doesn't sell the team.
I agree with you 100%.

Old
04-13-2009, 01:18 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

Because our beloved media and the followers of said media want a Quebecer to own the team. I for once hope Gillett stays owner forever.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Laps40

Still, this season will be a big deception if we dont go far in the playoffs.

And Gillet's goal is to profit obviously, i dont see a problem with that (he's a businessman, what else?). And yes, he wants us to go as far as possible. But it's not his job to build a team to be able to do so.

Hopefully, i am wrong and Habs will be the big surprise

Laps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansar View Post
Enough said, this centennial season has been a disaster. From the off ice rumours to the barber jerseys, Gillett wants to get every penny he can get from this team, and making the first round will bring in another 15 Million dollars. Gainey even said it the goal was to make playoffs, how long are we going to tolerate this crap? We want the cup, and We are the best fans, and all we get is making the playoffs.

I'm really not sure about that

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:36 PM
TheCH*

Quote:

I don't get it, if Gilliett's main concern is profit, then the farther the team goes the more he will get. Obviously winning the cup would = mad profits..

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:37 PM
lxzred

How did buying a new scoreboard bring in more money?

Sports franchises are terrible investments. I think the term is Ego investment. A cup winning team is a better ego investment than a last place team.

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

If Gillett really wanted to make a pile of money this past season he would have twisted Gainey's arm to pay an exorbitant price in young talent to bring in big names who might have taken the Habs farther into the playoffs but lasted just a year or two, like the Leafs GM who traded Brad Boyes and others.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
Improved facility. It also adds value to the Bell Centre. That's not a "bring in more money" investment. The Stanley Cup is. It promises you at least 8 more sell-outs in the Bell Centre.

Old
04-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Lucius

Quote:

This is idiotic.

Hockey teams make money in the playoffs? WHO KNEW!

Todd also simultaneously slams Gillett for greed, then slams Corey for not being greedy.

Plus, in a cap world, doesn't that mean Gilett and Co should be pissed off if we go out in round one.

That's 45 million dollars they miss out on.

As much as we all love the team, it's simplistic and silly to think of this as anything more than a business. If the owner didn't want to make money on his investment, he'd have serious issues.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
BoNeS42

Gillett doesn't care about this team at all, that's why he's sitting in the first row *in the middle of the crowd* and almost jerks off every time his team score.

Let's get rid of him.

BoNeS42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Turboflex*

Hack Todd is an incoherent jabbering idiot. The Gazette sucks too, letting this idiot write a column in their paper, I cancelled my subscription because of him.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:30 PM
habsrock60

I'm sure Gillett is only concerned with money when he just went out and bought one of the best jumbotrons in the league and just built a state of the art practice facility. Once again, the French media embarasses themselves

habsrock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:42 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post

Sports franchises are terrible investments. I think the term is Ego investment. A cup winning team is a better ego investment than a last place team.
The habs were an excellent investment for him. On top of all the revenue profits per year, he'll probably get 100 million dollars more when he sells then what he paid. Looks pretty damn good to me!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:44 PM
gee

the barber pole jerseys would have been better if they had done like price and gone with brown gloves and pants - similar to

gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock60 View Post
I'm sure Gillett is only concerned with money when he just went out and bought one of the best jumbotrons in the league and just built a state of the art practice facility. Once again, the French media embarasses themselves

The French Media?

Jack Todd is an Anglophone media journalist.

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:47 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock60 View Post
You might want to keep working on your sarcasm.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
The habs were an excellent investment for him. On top of all the revenue profits per year, he'll probably get 100 million dollars more when he sells then what he paid. Looks pretty damn good to me!
This must explain why there was a lineup of local business interests ready to buy the Habs 6-7 years ago.

Sorry this doesn't fly in my books. Gillett is making money with the Habs because he's a good business man with lots of courage.

If I remember correctly all the local money people were whistling dixie and not wanting any part of the Habs.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:51 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Wasn't Todd suppose to retired a while ago?

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
the barber pole jerseys would have been better if they had done like price and gone with brown gloves and pants - similar to
The only reason I hate the barber pole jersey is because I just keep remembering the Lang injury.

Anyone who gets bent out of shape over a third jersey is wasting their angst.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Pax Macioretty

What the heck is this mumbling all about?

1. WE'RE NOT EVEN ELIMINATED YET!!!!!

2. We've been cursed with injuries all season long, Lang is out for the season, Koivu, Price, Higgins,Tanguay, Markov, Laraque, Bouillon, Komisarek, Hamrlik, Dandenault, Kovalev, Halak and Latendresse all missed games for reasons.

3. It's not Gainey or Gillette's fault for any of this, we are real close of the cap, Gainey got 5,25 mil player in Tanguay this summer, a 5,75 mil player in Schneider who replaced a 4 mil player in Lang, it's not like he played it cheap

Pax Macioretty is online now   Reply With Quote