HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

A chance to finish 4th?

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2004, 11:43 PM
YEMELIN74

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
A chance to finish 4th?

I was looking at the standings and i saw that we are only 3 points behind the 4th place... it would be awsome if we could finish 4th... then we would get home ice advantage in the 1st round

GP PTS
Toronto 74 90
Ottawa 73 90
NJ 72 87
Montreal 74 87

Old
03-16-2004, 11:52 PM
electric

Honestly, I'm yet to be convinced we can continue winning at this pace... it was just a few weeks ago that we lost 4 in a row and were 3 points out of 9th place. And don't forget that we've been totally outplayed in a lot of our wins recently...

Honestly, I don't know... I guess the home & home against the Devils will really tell us what this team is all about.

Old
03-16-2004, 11:58 PM
4shelley4

hi

I wouldn't mind getting Boston in the first round. I don't trust playing Ottawa or Philly in the first round really.

Old
03-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
Honestly, I'm yet to be convinced we can continue winning at this pace... it was just a few weeks ago that we lost 4 in a row and were 3 points out of 9th place. And don't forget that we've been totally outplayed in a lot of our wins recently...

Honestly, I don't know... I guess the home & home against the Devils will really tell us what this team is all about.
I think that's a somewhat doom and gloom attitude. Look at the positives: we outplayed Toronto and Colorado in the past week, and we've had a better record against all of the teams we're chasing since the new year. Those road losses where we got outplayed were the result of fatigue from heavy travel.

Old
03-17-2004, 12:16 AM
Raider917

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I think that's a somewhat doom and gloom attitude. Look at the positives: we outplayed Toronto and Colorado in the past week, and we've had a better record against all of the teams we're chasing since the new year. Those road losses where we got outplayed were the result of fatigue from heavy travel.
we are 22-11-1-1(46 pts in 35 games = .657 winning pct) since january 1st. how can you not be positive about this?

Old
03-17-2004, 12:18 AM
electric

I don't know... I've been hitting my head on the walls seeing the Habs suck it up year after year for a good while now... so I guess it would take a lot to convince me we're out of that... darkness. Especially since two years ago I had such high hopes after the playoffs, then the next season hit me in the face like a brick

Old
03-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Raider917

Quote:
I don't know... I've been hitting my head on the walls seeing the Habs suck it up year after year for a good while now... so I guess it would take a lot to convince me we're out of that... darkness. Especially since two years ago I had such high hopes after the playoffs, then the next season hit me in the face like a brick
the only thing i worry about now is if we do like anaheim or minn last year and get the the 3rd rd or final and fall short. the last few underdog teams to do that have taken a step back the next season. maybe there will be a lockout though so we might not have to worry about it.

Old
03-17-2004, 12:24 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
I really think that 2 years ago was quite deceiving because of the play of Theodore. We didn't really have a great team that season.

This season is different. If you look at our current roster, we boost two very potent scoring lines, a great shut down checking line, a super-sub (Begin ), a very underrated defense and an All-star goalie. Plus this season we have a coach that has the team playing a great system and team defense.

I understand where you are coming from though because this team has been stuck in mediocrity for a while but I truely believe that this team is starting to come out of its rebuilding stage and into contention.

Old
03-17-2004, 12:32 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Different situation. In 2002 we were flying on a wing and a prayer. No one would have claimed at the time that we had a solid core that would carry on into the next season. I mean, come on, Petrov, Perreault, and Gilmour were still "core" players at that time.
Now it's pretty much a consensus that we have a good core, and we probably haven't even scratched the surface. No one of significance is headed out or is on a downward career slope, we have a handful of players who have yet to reach their full potential (Ryder, Ribeiro, Komisarek, Begin, Bulis), and the minors look great. I think we look a lot like the Sens of a few years ago, but with more grit and heart, and that is why we will succeed where they fail.

We may slump again, and the bandwagon will empty as quickly as it filled up, but I don't think missing the playoffs is something we'll have to worry about for years and years. That means we'll soon have to put aside the euphoria of rejoining the elite and think about our next goal: winning our next Cup. But that can wait until next year. This is too much fun.

Old
03-17-2004, 01:34 AM
Joe Maximum

Quote:
I think that the huge difference with two years ago is that guys carrying the team now are young and here to stay, as opposed to the veterans that Savard got to keep us afloat, and that must do wonders for team spirit...

Old
03-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
How many home games do we have left, because we play really well at home? This could be a big factor in where we finish.

Old
03-17-2004, 08:10 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
How many home games do we have left, because we play really well at home? This could be a big factor in where we finish.
4 home - NJ, Ottawa, Philly, Buffalo
4 road - NJ, Buffalo, Boston, NYI

Our magic number for clinching a spot is down to 3 games! The B's clinched last night and hopefully we will too on the weekend.

At 87 pts we already have as many points as in '02.

Old
03-17-2004, 08:39 AM
BruinsGirl

If you stayed at 6th place and we at 3rd it would be awesome series!!!
Toronto and Ottawa (at 4th and 5th) will be series to watch too.

NE division rocks! (Too bad Buffalo chockers couldn't get in!)

Old
03-17-2004, 08:40 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Thanks Habber. 4 and 4 i guess isnt too bad, especially considering we got the tougher teams on home ice.

Old
03-17-2004, 09:32 AM
Jacques Strappe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
If you stayed at 6th place and we at 3rd it would be awesome series!!!
Toronto and Ottawa (at 4th and 5th) will be series to watch too.

NE division rocks! (Too bad Buffalo chockers couldn't get in!)
Potentially, the Northeast could all head to the second round. Now that would be something! The standings would however, have to finish something like this:

Boston
Tampa
Philly
Ottawa (this is where it gets tricky)
NJ
Toronto
Montreal
NYI

so not too likely to happen. But it's still wide open!
Woohoo, almost time to head to the pub for my first Guiness of the day!

Old
03-17-2004, 09:47 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
Potentially, the Northeast could all head to the second round. Now that would be something! The standings would however, have to finish something like this:

Boston
Tampa
Philly
Ottawa (this is where it gets tricky)
NJ
Toronto
Montreal
NYI

so not too likely to happen. But it's still wide open
Woohoo, almost time to head to the pub for my first Guiness of the day!
You *******! I want my guiness but theirs not Pub close to my work! Luckily I have several Guiness at home just waiting to be drank.

Old
03-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy

This season is different. If you look at our current roster, we boost two very potent scoring lines, a great shut down checking line, a super-sub (Begin ), a very underrated defense and an All-star goalie. Plus this season we have a coach that has the team playing a great system and team defense.
Add to that the top group of prospects in the league, and try NOT to be excited about this team!!!!!!

Old
03-17-2004, 11:33 AM

How can you not be excited about the Habs right now, if you look at their current team and their minor team and there prospects throughout NA and Europe this team is stacked with talent and is probably just missing 1 or 2 pieces to make it a contending team...

Old
03-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Perfect_Gravity

I think the Habs will have a hard time against Philadelphia. I donno i'm just worried that the may go all out and hammer the habs until they get either too tired (if not in that round then the one after) or get a few key players injured.

Old
03-17-2004, 11:58 AM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
I would really like the Habs to take on Philly in the first round. I think that Sean Burke isn't the answer for their goalie problems... And the Flyers are also known to be playoffs chokers these years. Anyway, I think that we could get through the first round against any teams except maybe Tampa Bay and Ottawa (those would be damn hard).

IMO, finishing on the 4th spot is something that the Habs can do, but I'd rather wait after the "aller-retour" games of this weekend against New Jersey before saying something.

Old
03-17-2004, 12:26 PM
patp77

There are only 3 teams in the East that sort of scare me right now:

-Ottawa
-Tampa Bay
-Toronto

Ottawa and Tampa have as much skill and more speed than we do which would mean that Theodore would have to steal those series away or that we would have to outwork them. Toronto just seems to have the experience and size to wear a team like ours down although it would definately be an interesting series to watch.

Any of the other teams would definately make for an interesting matchup. Boston has good size/skill/goaltending but I think we're on par with them. New Jersey has good defense and goaltending which would mean a low scoring series but still would be fun to try to knock out the defending Stanley Cup champions. Philly has good size and skill but I'm not 100% sure about their goaltending situation. Something tells me that we'll end up playing either Philly, Boston or Ottawa in the first round though.

I vote for Boston just so that we can have a repeat series like 2 years ago. See if it was a fluke then or not.

Old
03-17-2004, 12:29 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Gravity
I think the Habs will have a hard time against Philadelphia. I donno i'm just worried that the may go all out and hammer the habs until they get either too tired (if not in that round then the one after) or get a few key players injured.
Philly isn't that tough anymore. Who's going to hammer the Habs? Primeau is the only guy who logs big minutes that plays a power game. Roenick is all banged up, Leclair has lost a step, the rest of their forwards are either small or soft, and our defence is tougher than theirs. They are a very good team skill-wise, with great veteran leaders like Amonte, Recchi, Roenick, Leclair, and Primeau, and they'll be a tough team to face, but they will not overpower this hab team physically. The days of the LOD are long gone. I no longer fear Philly.

Old
03-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77

-Ottawa
-Tampa Bay
-Toronto
Here's who I fear, and in what order:

1. Tampa Bay: they are a hot, dangerous team who seem to be getting it done in every area that matters. I'd rather someone else tangled with them in round one.

2. New Jersey: Brodeur is money in the playoffs, and I always fear him against the Habs. They aren't as scary minus Stevens (and perhaps Rafalski), but they are a "team" team, and those guys always do well in the playoffs.

3. Ottawa: These guys should be number one, but they look disorganized, and their goaltending is still shaky. This isn't their year. They are making too many mistakes, and the Habs are the kind of team right now that takes advantage of mistakes.

4. Toronto: Too slow, crappy defensive-zone play. Too many big chiefs, not enough little Indians. They've managed to turn themselves into the new Rangers. Ferguson showed very little imagination at the deadline, grabbing big names while failing to address their main needs. They have given up more goals than any other team with a playoff seed right now. That doesn't bode well for them.

5. Philly: I think they're going out in round one. Their goaltending is still shaky, and they're chokers, as the poster said above.

6. Boston: Bring 'em on. We own the Bruins, and they are terrified at the prospect of playing us. They are a one-line team, and we've got a great shut-down line.

Last edited by Guy Caballero: 03-17-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old
03-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77

-Ottawa
-Tampa Bay
-Toronto
For me, the only team that I would want to avoid in the first round is Boston. I think that they made the best additions at trade deadline time with Gonchar and Nylander. Raycroft doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon and if Samsonov comes back healthy for the playoffs they will have 3 solid lines.

Ottawa just doesn't seem like the team they were last year. The media and fans have hyped their goaltending problems that it finally looks like it's starting to take its toll on them. They goes nowhere with Lalime, not because of him but because of the team's confidence in front of him.

Toronto I still feel is a little to slow to keep up with us. If the Habs can play with intensity and use their speed every night, then I can't see the Leafs slow defense being able to keep up. As long as you can shut down the Sundin line, which is a very tall order, then the Leafs are beatable.

Tampa Bay is a mystery. Some nights they look invincible and other nights they look like they couldn't score if their life depended on it. I would still prefer not to play them in the first round. But I do think we match up pretty well against them and it would be a pretty exciting series.

Old
03-17-2004, 03:37 PM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
6. Boston: Bring 'em on. We own the Bruins, and they are terrified at the prospect of playing us. They are a one-line team, and we've got a great shut-down line.
I understand your excitment but how is Boston a one-line team is beyond me?

Thornton,Murray,Knuble,Samsonov,Bergeron,Nylander, Rolston all can score

And I am not even talking about Gonchar, Slegr , and even McGillis(who scored 3 goals on Brodeur last playoffs)

You might want to play Bruins but if B's are one line team what makes the Habs more than 1 line team .

Oh well...keep disrespecting them...keep talking about 2001-2002 (ya sure we are the same team)

Closed Thread