HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1: Failboat to make it's playoff debut

Old
04-15-2009, 07:37 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

vCash: 500
Game 1: Failboat to make it's playoff debut

Thanks to CG on the icons and DC on the main image

Canes ended their season with 2 straight losses including a fluky-type loss to NJ with Leighton in the nets. This cost them home ice advantage and now they'll begin the playoffs in the same city where they ended the regular season. Ward is in the nets this time, the boards are fixed and this time it's a meaningful game for both teams.

This will be the 4th time in 8 seasons that the two teams have faced off in the playoffs with the winner representing the Eastern Conference in the Stanley Cup Finals each time. The Devils took the ECQF in 6 games in 2001 after Carolina was looking at a sweep early on. The Canes took the next two: the ECQF in 6 games in 2002 and the ECSF in 5 games in 2006.

All that prior history matters little now, though. This is a new series and it is potential the hardest to predict out of any of them. Many feel that the winner has a great shot to make a run in the playoffs this year.

Carolina: 45-30-7....2nd in the Southeast....19-16-6 on the road
New Jersey: 51-27-4....1st in the Atlantic....28-12-1 at home

Code:
Game     Day             Date         Venue                  Location     Time         TV

Game 1   Wednesday  April 15     Prudential Center   Newark, NJ   7:30 p.m.  FS CAROLINAS, TSN2

Game 2   Friday         April 17     Prudential Center   Newark, NJ   7:30 p.m.  FS CAROLINAS, TSN2

Game 3   Sunday       April 19     RBC Center           Raleigh, NC    7:30 p.m.  FS CAROLINAS, TSN2

Game 4   Tuesday      April 21     RBC Center           Raleigh, NC    7:30 p.m.  FS CAROLINAS, TSN2

Game 5*  Thursday    April 23     Prudential Center   Newark, NJ   7:30 p.m.  FS CAROLINAS, TSN2

Game 6*  Sunday      April 26     RBC Center           Raleigh, NC    TBA         VERSUS, TSN2

Game 7*  Tuesday    April 28      Prudential Center   Newark, NJ   7:30 p.m.  FS CAROLINAS, TSN2

Zach Parise - The ever-dangerous Zach Parise was looking like a solid choice for the Hart Trophy for much of the season, but he cooled off a bit in the last 10 games or so.

Patrik Elias - Elias bounced back in a big way this year posting his highest totals in goals and points since 2003-2004. He's also got 4 points in 4 games against the Canes this year and is significantly better at home (44 points at home vs. 34 on the road).

Martin Brodeur - Despite being injured much of the year, looking bad in a few games recently and the Canes "having his number" in the playoffs, the man is still Martin Brodeur and is capable of taking over a series by himself. The all-time wins leader may even have something to prove after a few early exits since their last cup.

Ray Whitney - Whitney put up a very quiet 77 points this season. If the Devils overlook him in any way, they'll surely pay. Whitney has helped little Chad LaRose turn into an almost-20 goal scorer and that line looks like it may welcome Cullen back at some point tonight as well.

Anton Babchuk - What more can be said that hasn't already been? He's got a cannon of a shot and he's score 4 goals against the Devils this year (including 2 on Saturday). If he's on net, Brodeur isn't stopping him. Anton Babchuk is cannon?

Cam Ward - Once again it's Cam Ward versus his idol. The student got the better of the teacher last time, and he'll have to come up huge again for the Canes to take this one. Ward may have played his way into Vezina talk in the 2nd half of the season, but it's all moot if he throws up a stinker in the playoffs. Judging by his play in the playoffs at every level, that isn't likely.

Carolina: No significant injuries

New Jersey: Kevin Weekes (Leg)

Carolina:
18.7% Power Play (18th)
19.6% Road Power Play (10th)
80.4% Penalty Kill (19th)
80.0% Road Penalty Kill (18th)

New Jersey:
18.9% Power Play (15th)
18.2% Home Power Play (15th)
79.9% Penalty Kill (20th)
78.0% Penalty Kill (26th)

Though the Canes took the season series 3-1, only one game featured both starting goalies playing against each other. Carolina took that one as well, 2-1, with Ruutu getting the go-ahead goal with 3:00 left in the 3rd.

Cam Ward
39-23-1
2.44 GAA
0.916 Save Percentage
6 Shutouts

Martin Brodeur
19-9-3
2.41GAA
0.916 Save Percentage
5 Shutouts

Goals - Parise (45), Staal (40)
Asssists - Parise (49), Whitney (53)
Points - Parise (94), Whitney (77)
Plus/Minus - Zajac (+33), Staal (+15)
Penalty Minutes - Clarkson (164), Ruutu (79)

Carolina:

Ruutu // Staal // Cole
Whitney // Jokinen // LaRose
Samsonov // Brind'Amour // Walker
Conboy // Cullen // Eaves

Gleason // Corvo
Babchuk // Pitkanen
Wallin // Seidenberg

Ward
Leighton

New Jersey
Parise // Zajac // Langenbrunner
Elias // Zubrus // Gionta
Pandolfo // Madden // Shanahan
Rupp // Rolston // Clarkson

Martin // Oduya
Salvador // Havelid
White // Mottau

Brodeur
Clemmensen

Last edited by What the Faulk: 04-15-2009 at 10:44 AM.
What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 07:45 AM
GIN ANTONIC

You gots some stones The Sam. I'll give you that. Was gonna make one myself but I'm not really a trailblazer I like to sniff out the situation a bit before I make a GDT. I went out on a limb once and over-extended myself against Boston and got crushed. Anyway, enough talk.

GO CANES GO!!!

GIT ER DUN!!!

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 07:49 AM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
This GDT is nice, too nice to have on canes board.

I am thinking the Failboat is going to strike hard.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:24 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
This GDT is nice, too nice to have on canes board.

I am thinking the Failboat is going to strike hard.
I know, I was gonna do my simple 3-4 sentence GDT but then I didn't want to waste CG's icons things.

Old
04-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Roughly 10 hours until the 2009 Stanley Cup Playoffs begin.

This.Pumps.Me.Up.

Seeing Brindy celebrate, the fans outside... If it doesn't excite you for Hockey in the Spring, i'm not sure what will.

Old
04-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Visbility is poor, but a mast is sighted on the horizon.

I was looking for the clip from The Godfather where they are driving to Louis' Restaurant for the Solozzo scene (they're driving across the bridge that has sign "To New Jersey," where Michael asks "We're Going to Jersey?" before they shake the tail car) but all I can find is the part right after that. Of course they go back to the Bronx ("try the veal, it's the best in the city") but I thought it would be a good visual.

Oh well. Go Canes. Wearing my lucky 2006 shirt, and going beardless as I did in 06 (as opposed to 02). Not that I'm superstitious.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
the boards are fixed
O RLY?

04-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Old Uncle

I'm sitting here in front of my computer reading everyone's posts and thinking "I have nothing to say, I'm so uptight just waiting for the game to start". I want the game to start NOW. I'm nervous, excited, going nuts thinking what if this and what if that? Will they this and will they that. I know, I should be all ra, ra, but the tension is killing me.
Having said that, I know that the team will come out guns blazing, firing on all cylinders, but I can't will them to do anything (probably a good thing).
So, GO CANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:56 AM
daikan
sad times

Send a message via MSN to daikan
Very pretty gdt. I am incredibly excited. Playoffs, I missed you!

daikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:15 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
O RLY?
So they say

Old
04-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

Nice GDT.

Parise actually had 94 points in the regular season not 92.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:40 AM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 1436
Gotta say I'm right there with ya'll. And I've got an algebra test at 6! I'm in hopes to get at least a couple of questions right... I can't imagine being a player in the NHL during the playoffs. As a fan, I can't think of much else. What I'd be doing if I was actually playing in the game isn't a pretty picture. Obviously it's just been to freaking long since we've had this situation!

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:45 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cuban View Post
Nice GDT.

Oops, fixed that. You'd think I would have caught that since I had his goals and assists correct. Guess I can't do simple math at 8AM in the morning

Old
04-15-2009, 10:46 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cuban View Post
Nice GDT.

Thanks for the tip. Nice avatar. No GTFO outta here!

Just kidding, I'm assuming those numbers are Brodeur's GAA in the first 4 games?

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Cane View Post
Visbility is poor, but a mast is sighted on the horizon.

I was looking for the clip from The Godfather where they are driving to Louis' Restaurant for the Solozzo scene (they're driving across the bridge that has sign "To New Jersey," where Michael asks "We're Going to Jersey?" before they shake the tail car) but all I can find is the part right after that. Of course they go back to the Bronx ("try the veal, it's the best in the city") but I thought it would be a good visual.

Oh well. Go Canes. Wearing my lucky 2006 shirt, and going beardless as I did in 06 (as opposed to 02). Not that I'm superstitious.
Spent a good portion of the morning looking for the clip in Bedazzled they play before every Jersey game.

"Damn the devil! DAMN THE DEVIL TO HELL!"

Google has failed me.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Car flags just arrived in the mail. Can you say perfect timing?

Old
04-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Vote for Rory

I'm a big Canucks fan that has been loving the Canes since the season that they won the cup, I cheered for them from the start of the season, straight to the cup, they are my "east" team if you will.

Definitely cheering for you guys out of the East, and I'd love to see a Vancouver/Carolina Final . Good Luck!

Vote for Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:52 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

2:3

PPG- The Babs (Captain, Sammy)
Cole (Staal)
and Eaves (Cullen)

Deal?

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:54 AM
caniac247

This is the hardest series to predict IMHO. Both teams are very evenly matched. I expect low scoring and a goalies dual. Which ever team gets the bounces comes out on top. So message to Cam, beware of the flukey boards.

Mike M noted the only two differences in the 2 teams:

Quote:
Greetings from New Jersey, one of the things that jumped off the page as we head closer to the start of the Hurricanes playoff series with the Devils is the difference in the demeanor between the teams. The Canes were loose, like a bunch of kids excited about going on vacation. The Devils were more serious like business men going on a trip to close a big deal.
He's got a brief write-up on which team has the edge in goal, offense & defense:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurrica...gpost/4956168/

Oh and case you didn't know, the failboat will be at the Rock just in time for puck drop.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:04 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
ECUGuy buddies are ready

Gilligan is listening to Chuck

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Go Canes Go!

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

Enjoy the series guys this should be a close. Im coming down for game 3 and will be in section 217!

Lou's Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Greetings from New Jersey, one of the things that jumped off the page as we head closer to the start of the Hurricanes playoff series with the Devils is the difference in the demeanor between the teams. The Canes were loose, like a bunch of kids excited about going on vacation. The Devils were more serious like business men going on a trip to close a big deal.

I'm just not sure which attitude/approach I like better.

Calm, collective yet determined when the puck drops can be good. Especially for high flying playoff hockey with tons of emotions from the get-go. I have absolutely no doubts the minute the puck drops we'll be 100% focused and flying off the wall. Just my feeling. This has to be a tremendous breath of fresh air for this team.

Stiff, reserved and determined can be scary to play against all together. Over-focused? Gripping the stick to tight and a little more conservative? Or so damn determined that they're ready to run through whatever the hell is placed infront of them? We'll see.

5 and a half hours.

Old
04-15-2009, 01:30 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
2:3

PPG- The Babs (Captain, Sammy)
Cole (Staal)
and Eaves (Cullen)

Deal?
Only one goal from THE ANTON? Blasphemy!

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote