HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 1: Failboat to make it's playoff debut

Old
04-15-2009, 10:26 PM
snakepliskin

vCash: 500
did not to get to see much of the game (thank god) but did listen to some of it on xm radio in the 2nd period and it seemed as if the devils were in our end the entire period and after reading we only had 18 shots on goal i now believe the boys have fully bought into coach mo's system-and if they have we will have to win 4 games against the devs 1-0--!--only hope is to remove maurice before the brroms pop out--needs to happen tonite! francis can lead us to the cup!!!

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:31 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin View Post
did not to get to see much of the game (thank god) but did listen to some of it on xm radio in the 2nd period and it seemed as if the devils were in our end the entire period and after reading we only had 18 shots on goal i now believe the boys have fully bought into coach mo's system-and if they have we will have to win 4 games against the devs 1-0--!--only hope is to remove maurice before the brroms pop out--needs to happen tonite! francis can lead us to the cup!!!

So whose system did they buy into down the stretch when we were on the playoff bubble? They hadn't fully bought into it then? I guess they were running around with no game plan or system when we went something like 32-17-5 with Maurice as coach.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:36 PM
snakepliskin

they have just now found the MO GROOVE! this is Mo's M-O (pardon the pun--but seriously even though i did not see much of it it sure sounds like they were NOT prepared to play at the amped up level that playoff hockey requires--and i could give MO a pass on this because HE HAS NOT SNIFFED A PLAYOFF GAME MUCH LESS A PLAYOFF WIN IN 7 FREAKIN YEARS!

Old
04-15-2009, 10:42 PM
snakepliskin

don't mean to rain on our rainy parade here--because WE ARE STILL IN IT-guys were probably relieved to get rutherford slightly off their collective back after last years disappointment and sucked out loud tonite--down 1-0 not the end of the world but somebody is gonna have to stick their skate in some arses to get these guys wanting it more than they do now and i would guess that somebody is gonna have to be staal with some help from gleason and some red bull before the next game!

Old
04-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepliskin View Post
they have just now found the MO GROOVE! this is Mo's M-O (pardon the pun--but seriously even though i did not see much of it it sure sounds like they were NOT prepared to play at the amped up level that playoff hockey requires--and i could give MO a pass on this because HE HAS NOT SNIFFED A PLAYOFF GAME MUCH LESS A PLAYOFF WIN IN 7 FREAKIN YEARS!
But his last playoff game was in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:45 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

We played like we were "just happy to be here" tonight and the Devils played like a team that expected to be here, which is exactly what the moods were at practice today and that quote is exactly what Chad LaRose said.

Hopefully we got that out of our system tonight.

04-15-2009, 10:55 PM
snakepliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
But his last playoff game was in the Stanley Cup Finals.
7 i mean SEVEN years ago--still saying the motivation is gonna have to come from inside the locker room --even if i liked maurice he is not the alpha male type to lead any type of squad into battle except maybe a high school chess team---this is the 1 and only attribute i admire from lindy ruff--his guys usually lay it on the line for him - but what i listened to on the radio we were having extreme difficulty moving the puck out of our zone as they were on top of our passing lanes--they were much better prepared tonite and in all facets--wonder if we watched any of their game tapes?

Old
04-15-2009, 11:08 PM
NorthStar4Canes

What's to say about this game except the Devs owned the rink tonight from the forecheck back to making our PP look inept, and with no help from bad bounces or controversial calls. Less than 20 SOG, and 2 PPs with none?....nobody's ever won that way. Well, at least 2 of our 4 lines showed up halfway through the 3rd. Maybe the rest thought it's an 83 game season so hopefully by Friday they'll understand it's the playoffs now.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:30 PM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

At least they didn't get shut out...

I recorded the game, and watched it after I got home from work up until the second Devils goal. I got tired of watching Cam stand on his head, he got NO help from what I saw. (Although the first goal was his fault, thinking he was Marty Brodeur, or something).

So anyway, it's a seven game series, first game jitters are out, no excuses from here on out.

And I'd like to point out that Chad Larose doubled his playoff point total tonight

Tank King Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:09 AM
GIN ANTONIC

We need some good mojo. I'm thinking we need to name our lines. Like the good old days of BBC and such. The top line is set (although i dunno after tonight) but the bottom 3 are sort of jumbled right now, although they do have a set 2 players for the most part. So here's some terrible ones so far.

Ruutu - Staal - Cole or RSC
Google search comes up with: Royal Society of Chemistry (The leading organisation in Europe for advancing the chemical sciences) or The Royal Shakespeare Company. I like the second one better. I dunno, the Shakespeare line? Something around that maybe?

Assuming Cullen makes it back to the 2nd line we have
Whitney - Cullen - LaRose WCL
Google comes up with Chuck Norris World Combat League. I kinda like that. The Norris line or the Chuck Wagon maybe?

Here's an interesting one on the third line (assuming Walker stays)
Samsonov - Brind'amour - Walker SBW
Google search didn't provide anything good, but Urban Dictionary gives this definition. SBW = A slang term used in the ghetto. Short for _lut, _itch, _hore. You fill in the blanks.

Others: Right now the 4th line is ECC (Eaves-Cullen-Conboy). Multiple meanings include Emergency Cardiac Care and East Coast Conference. Both of those are kinda nice.

Anyway, this post sucks. This night sucks. I haven't nothing to contribute but this.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:47 AM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

Greetings from St. Louis, comrades. We've both lost our respective battles, but we will win the war.

See you in the Finals.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:02 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Yeah I watched the game. I thought they were making a come back after Boyes' goal but your guys couldn't really get much going. Either way I think it should be a great series.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:47 AM
jc950003*

Send a message via AIM to jc950003*
Not a devils fan here to stir the pot. I expect Carolina to play alot better. I counted 5 turnovers in the second period for the Hurricanes in thier own zone.

Also, 2 carolina turn overs led directly to goals (mottau, parise)

Gionta (5 foot 7) completely outmuscled Brind'amore for the third goal..

That all being said, Ward played very well and I expect next game to be much, much harder for the Devils.

jc950003* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 02:40 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc950003 View Post
Not a devils fan here to stir the pot. I expect Carolina to play alot better. I counted 5 turnovers in the second period for the Hurricanes in thier own zone.

Also, 2 carolina turn overs led directly to goals (mottau, parise)

Gionta (5 foot 7) completely outmuscled Brind'amore for the third goal..

That all being said, Ward played very well and I expect next game to be much, much harder for the Devils.
That would be nice. And perhaps, the poor showing works to our advantage and the Devils don't have all the focus they did for this game.

Either way, I don't think our guys want to be booed at the airport. They'll at least come out of the gate with something more.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 05:10 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

This team has played three of the worst games in our own end of the year in the last three. It was embarrassing to watch that effort in our corners. This team needs to win Friday for our psyche.

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 05:14 AM
Cheli

I fully expect the Canes to come out hard in game 2 and maintain that throughout the game.

I won't mention a ******* this time. I swear.
(or did that count?)

ONWARD FAILBOAT

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 09:01 AM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
We played like we were "just happy to be here" tonight and the Devils played like a team that expected to be here, which is exactly what the moods were at practice today and that quote is exactly what Chad LaRose said.

My exact thought watching the game. The Devils looked like they were on a mission, while the Canes looked like just making the playoffs was the mission. I hope they wake up for Friday.

04-16-2009, 09:55 AM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post

That's the best description I've seen yet.

So they have admitted to jitters and nerves. They admitted they were awful, but yet still have a positive attitude. I have a good feeling we see a different team tomorrow night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Gleason
"We've got a lot of character in this room and a lot of guys who have gone through this. This is all part of it. The message was positive, to go to practice, learn from it and move on."

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 05:24 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Can someone briefly fill me in on the "failboat" thing? Carolina was one of the hottest teams in the NHL in the last month, and most hockey experts predicted they'd advance past the Devils. So...... why has everyone here been so negative is my question (even before last night I mean)?

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 07:38 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
This team has played three of the worst games in our own end of the year in the last three. It was embarrassing to watch that effort in our corners. This team needs to win Friday for our psyche.
Yes they have an its a little unnerving. Maybe Lavi was right and the hot streak is over. NJ looked ready to pounce, the canes looked ready to be pounced on.

If they dont come out banging everything tomorrow night from the minute the puck drops, itll be a quick death. This isnt 06 and these arent the Habs.

Last edited by canesnecu: 04-16-2009 at 09:05 PM.
canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 09:08 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Can someone briefly fill me in on the "failboat" thing? Carolina was one of the hottest teams in the NHL in the last month, and most hockey experts predicted they'd advance past the Devils. So...... why has everyone here been so negative is my question (even before last night I mean)?
Reverse psychology. After last nights game, it appears the hockey gods arent amused.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 11:56 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Failboat has been the unofficial motto of the team since: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=596988

January 19th.

We seemed to play a bit better after the fail boat was finally spotted.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote