HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBC's Friedman on Gainey's future

Old
04-15-2009, 06:05 PM
maci4life

vCash: 500
CBC's Friedman on Gainey's future

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2009/...at_end_of.html

sorry if double post.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

not enlightening in the slightest and pure speculation.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
shutehinside

What a dumb article. No insight, pure speculation and no facts to it what so ever. What does the part about Guy Carbonneau have to do about anything anyways???
I'm surprised about this article from Friedman, normally he's a lot better then this crap.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 06:38 PM
cprice31

I'm fine with Gainey and co. going.. this is year number 6 of his plan., and the Habs are not closer to attaining the stanley cup than when he first took the position. Most corporations wont allow management to continue without lack of results for such a long period of time.

Gainey's calls have completely back-fired, and he seems to have a total lack of recognition of the required chemistry to win in the NHL.

Since Bob's tenure, Boston/Flyers/Anaheim/Vancouver have all gone rock-bottom, back to the top. The Habs have stalled & Stagnated (safe 2008) ever since... I dont wanna hear the UFA garbage, because his drafting and handling of player personel is shotty at best.

My only hope is that we find a competent succesor, and not another Rejean Houle type.

Bye Bye Bob, enjoy your retirement.

cprice31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 06:44 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Yikes, what a terrible article.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Kirk Muller

It wouldn't surprise me simply based on whether BG wants to start over yet again.

Next year with all the UFA's it could easily be a rebuilding year. If BG doesn't see himself still a GM in 5 or 6 years, I could easily see him stepping down. To me you wouldn't want Bob starting something and then 2 years from now have him leave and basically start over with someone new.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 06:48 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Not the only stupid thing to come out of a canadian tv station. CTV just had an interview with Saku koivu and listed him as a ' Habs winger'.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprice31 View Post
I'm fine with Gainey and co. going.. this is year number 6 of his plan., and the Habs are not closer to attaining the stanley cup than when he first took the position. Most corporations wont allow management to continue without lack of results for such a long period of time.

Gainey's calls have completely back-fired, and he seems to have a total lack of recognition of the required chemistry to win in the NHL.

Since Bob's tenure, Boston/Flyers/Anaheim/Vancouver have all gone rock-bottom, back to the top. The Habs have stalled & Stagnated (safe 2008) ever since... I dont wanna hear the UFA garbage, because his drafting and handling of player personel is shotty at best.

My only hope is that we find a competent succesor, and not another Rejean Houle type.

they are a lot closer. they finished first in the east last year and have improved every season up until now. Boston is no different than we were last season. The team had more crap to deal with this season than any team in the history of the nhl, and showed signs of the powerhouse they were expected to be until they lost their top 2 defencemen in the same game.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:

Not closer to the cup than we were when he got here?..

So..would you take the team he inherited over the one we have today??..I'm just curious to see if you're serious or just talking out of your ass. I truly hope it's the latter one.

Let's look at the teams you mentioned shall we.

-Anaheim won a cup, but this year struggled to make it in as 8th seed. Talk about a huge drop. Are you going to blame it on injuries??..I know another team that had plenty of injuries this year.

-Vancouver missed the POs last year. The year before that, if Luongo doesn't play like the best NHL Goalie, they don't make the POs. This year, they're showing some improvements.

-Flyers finished dead last 3years ago, 14pts behind 14th seed. They have had similar seasons the past 2years but have failed and failed again to bring in a dominant goaltender for many years. Esche/Cechmanek/Niitymaki/Biron have all disappointed. They will possibly have a 1st round exit this year.

-Boston squeaked into POs last year mainly due to injuries, finished strong as they took number 1 seed CANADIENS to 7games. They played this season as they played in the POs, extremely well. They finished 1st.

Now, let's look at the Habs. Been struggling to make the POs time and time again. Last year, as we decided to live and die with our youngsters, we finished 1st in East. Exited the POs earlier than most had wished, but that's not uncommon when you have a huge number of players without any PO experience.

This year, like the Bruins last year, we've been plagued with injuries. On top of some of our youngsters going through sophomore jinx, the centennial distractions, and the media distracting them with ridiculous claims in papers. Yet, we managed to make it in by a thread.
Before the season started, many viewed us as part of the best in the East again with a legitimate chance of winning the cup. Some even compared our big three on D (Markov/Komi/Hamrlik) as part of the best trio.

Having a tough season for various reasons is common. But in no way does it justify you saying our team isn't better than the one we had 6-7years ago..That's just ignorant.

All the teams you mentioned, have had ups and downs, even a SC Winner almost missed the POs this year. So, I don't see how we have been managed badly, but them are exemplary of how a team should be managed.

Maybe you should just go back to the rds forums where people don't know crap.

Last edited by Kriss E: 04-15-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 07:17 PM
HFXMooseHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not the only stupid thing to come out of a canadian tv station. CTV just had an interview with Saku koivu and listed him as a ' Habs winger'.
Could be worse. The anchors on the local CTV station here have constantly butchered players names during highlights for the last 20 years that I can remember.

HFXMooseHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:28 PM
habaholic

Quote:

I'll state it once again because some people probably never thought about it or don't care either way..THE 5 YEAR PLAN WAS FORCED TO CHANGE DUE TO THE LOCK OUT AND RULE CHANGES...there you have it, and if you think for one second were not closer now to a stanley cup than when he took over, perhaps you should do your memory some good, give it a nice refresher and take a look at our roster when he took the team. Was he perfect? Hell no, but the foundation is once again solid with good young players on the team and in the pipeline.

The roster we had going into the season was the strongest on paper in the last 15 years. Injuries did us in, is that Gainey's fault? Despite all that we still managed to creep into the playoffs in a VERY competitive league where parity is at it's srongest. This isn't the 70's anymore!!

As far as I'm concerned our lineup (on paper) is as good as any team in the east and that's a testament to Gainey's work and heck the season is NOT over, we can still make some noise in the playoffs despite what Friedman or any other analyst thinks.

Frankly if Gainey leaves, I've been around long enough to know that it would probably be the worst thing that can happen to this organisation!

Think about guys who are loyal to Gainey...would they stay? Pierre Gauthier, Trevor Timmins, the scouts....if Gainey leaves, those guys are likely to leave as well and I haven't talked about the players yet...good luck resigning Komisarek....The Reggie Houle days wouldn't be far away....and my days as a habs fan would be over!

habaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

The guy is just providing filler... as if it is needed.

The 100 years was hardly a disaster... the team was flying high by the All Star Break!

a roller coaster?

yes

__________________________________________________ ___

BTW cprice31 "Habs have stagnated ever since... yada, yada..."

Ignore... bye... adios

Last edited by Born in 1909: 04-15-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'm on the fence about this. I do see him gone if we lose in the 1st round. Whatever reason they find, it will be another failure. Is it all his fault, should he pay for that etc..., well yes or no, that's not the point. In this business, you are given some time, you don't succeed, don't get results you pay the price. It's pretty common that once a guy is fired, the players he got through trades, the picks he made through the draft starts paying off and then the new GM has to acknowledge the previous GM's work.

Having said all of that, do people really see Gainey leaving with so many UFA's not signed and almost an entire team to rebuild? Gainey just says bye bye and leaves, leaving the Habs with all that work on their hands and the draft coming even though Timmins should remain in position?

I find it hard to believe that he'll leave like that. He'll need to be fired, and if so, the team needs to be sold ,cause I don't see Gillett doing it and since that sale could take a long time to happen, I just see a status quo. Then with the new ownership in place, maybe the change will happen.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 04-15-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic View Post
The roster we had going into the season was the strongest on paper in the last 15 years. Injuries did us in, is that Gainey's fault? Despite all that we still managed to creep into the playoffs in a VERY competitive league where parity is at it's srongest. This isn't the 70's anymore!!

As far as I'm concerned our lineup (on paper) is as good as any team in the east and that's a testament to Gainey's work and heck the season is NOT over, we can still make some noise in the playoffs despite what Friedman or any other analyst thinks.

Frankly if Gainey leaves, I've been around long enough to know that it would probably be the worst thing that can happen to this organisation!
Agreed on all counts.

With Markov and Lang
Pleks scoring more
AKost scoring more
SKost scoring more

(none of these scenarios is a stretch)

This edition of the Habs is pretty tough to beat.

And the kids on D are moving up the system

Old
04-15-2009, 08:39 PM
RushDP

Quote:

What a dumb post. I can't remember when I've read anything this stupid...oh yeah I was on the B's board yesterday so that may not be accurate!

I particularly like the part where you don't want to hear about UFA's and drafting. Why? Because they make your post irrelevant?

I can only hope we go far into the playoffs and show well so the likes of you can stop posting here.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic View Post

Think about guys who are loyal to Gainey...would they stay? Pierre Gauthier, Trevor Timmins, the scouts....if Gainey leaves, those guys are likely to leave as well and I haven't talked about the players yet...good luck resigning Komisarek....The Reggie Houle days wouldn't be far away....and my days as a habs fan would be over!
Why would that be? You already know that nobody can do at least a job as fine as him? Sorry but the worst thing that has happened to this organization already happened and it was the Houle hiring.

As far as who would stay well if Gauthier leaving that big of a deal? Timmins? Well surely it will be a big think 'cause not only he does a good job but I don't see who can replace him short term unless another great head scout in the NHl will have his contract expire real soon. But then, by the way......who says that if Gainey leaves, it's not Timmins who'll end up with the job? And then if you have Timmins as a semi-god, wouldn't he know who to get for the head scout job? And then, can't you see that Timmins will just be kind of Gainey's continuity? How's that so horrible? How is having Timmins or other candidates that you don't know about automatically means another Houle era? If Gainey leaves by himself, you won't let him?

Gainey has done a good job. But the Habs will live after him. Moreso because of what he left to work with and if it's not the players, well it's the amount of money that we'll be able to work with.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:46 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

Quote:

Are you FREAKING kidding me????? Where were you 6 years ago? Do you remember the Canadiens of the late 90s/early 2000s??? The team we're fielding today is miles better and has way more potential.

This is just a flat out ignorant and stupid comment. Do some frakkin research kid.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussCourtnallsGhost View Post

Are you FREAKING kidding me????? Where were you 6 years ago? Do you remember the Canadiens of the late 90s/early 2000s??? The team we're fielding today is miles better and has way more potential.

This is just a flat out ignorant and stupid comment. Do some frakkin research kid.
Thank you.

That was very well said.

Old
04-15-2009, 09:20 PM
David

One thing that has always been true of Bob Gainey that we should not forget.

Gainey is simply ALWAYS AT HIS VERY BEST when everything and everyone around him are falling apart!

Don't count this old war horse out...and don't count out his team either. Hockey is played out on the ice.

I am confident that this group who wear the CH on their chest this year can surprise.

Friedman writes that Gainey is "4 losses away" from a bust. But then again, this is true of all 16 teams in the playoffs.

Weak Friedman. You're usually much better than this...

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:20 PM
DougHarvey

Quote:

Funny, without Gainey you wouldn't have a name on this board.

DougHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:08 PM
AH

Well, I for one will not be heartbroken if Bob splits. However, I dont think there is enough time to quit with an ownership change coming.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:10 PM
habaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why would that be? You already know that nobody can do at least a job as fine as him? Sorry but the worst thing that has happened to this organization already happened and it was the Houle hiring.

As far as who would stay well if Gauthier leaving that big of a deal? Timmins? Well surely it will be a big think 'cause not only he does a good job but I don't see who can replace him short term unless another great head scout in the NHl will have his contract expire real soon. But then, by the way......who says that if Gainey leaves, it's not Timmins who'll end up with the job? And then if you have Timmins as a semi-god, wouldn't he know who to get for the head scout job? And then, can't you see that Timmins will just be kind of Gainey's continuity? How's that so horrible? How is having Timmins or other candidates that you don't know about automatically means another Houle era? If Gainey leaves by himself, you won't let him?

Gainey has done a good job. But the Habs will live after him. Moreso because of what he left to work with and if it's not the players, well it's the amount of money that we'll be able to work with.
How will they live is the question. There's no point speculating over who would come in and what kind of job that person would do, but there aren't too many people out there with the experience of a man like Gainey, as a player, coach and GM, and I haven't said anything about his presence and the respect he commands.

Besides, I'd just like to see him reap the benefits of the post-lockout drafts, the ones that really count.

habaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:30 PM
HabsFanUKR

Just some names from the early 2000s for you to remember...

Joe Juneau?
Oleg Petrov?
Patrick Traverse?

just a few names...

Compared to...

Alex Kovalev?
Maxim Lapierre?
Carey Price?

Don't even start to say that the team BG inherited was better than the one now.

HabsFanUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Toro

Another attempt by the media to create news.

really pathetic.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanUKR View Post
Just some names from the early 2000s for you to remember...

Joe Juneau?
Oleg Petrov?
Patrick Traverse?

just a few names...

Compared to...

Alex Kovalev?
Maxim Lapierre?
Carey Price?

Don't even start to say that the team BG inherited was better than the one now.
huh?

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote