HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

our rookie of the year...

View Poll Results: who has been our best rookie this year?
tim gleason 27 56.25%
esa prines 9 18.75%
michael cammalleri 2 4.17%
scott barney 9 18.75%
other 1 2.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 01:36 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

vCash: 500
our rookie of the year...

so, who should it be? before this degenerates into a rant about how murray is insane for not playing cammalleri more, and how gleason is 10X the player modry is, lets limit this discussion to which rookie has been the best for us this year. the rants about murray's development of players can go in another thread.

tim gleason - 43 0 6 6 +4 21
perhaps the favorite, he's been solid in several stints with the big club and has definitely stepped things up over the last several weeks, prior to the return of visnovsky the great and gleason's subsequent trip to the press box.

esa pirnes - 48 2 5 7 -7 10
although the offense hasn't appeared like many thought it would, pirnes continues to be a penalty-drawing machine, and has proven himself very valuable in the faceoff circle and at killing penalties. he's also the rookie to spend the most time with the big club.

michael cammalleri - 31 9 6 15 +1 20
thoughts of where he SHOULD be aside, cammalleri has posted the best numbers, in fewer games - but can he be our best rookie with less than half the season played in los angeles?

scott barney - 16 5 6 11 +6 4
perhaps the biggest surprise, he followed up a strong first-year-back-in-hockey last year with an impressive stint in his first call-up. there is no doubt in my mind that had he not been injured, he would have continued to put up outstanding numbers and would have run away as our rookie of the year.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:41 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

my vote goes to pirnes. he may not have the best numbers, but he has stayed with the big club all year, has showed up every night, and has made a difference in many games from the fourth line. if everyone else votes for others, i can completely understand, but i felt that pirnes deserved at least a nod for his efforts, so, here it is. i think pirnes has been, overall, our best rookie this year.

Old
03-18-2004, 01:50 PM
tc

Send a message via AIM to tc
I went with Gleason edging out Barney. I think this guy will be a stud- he got better every game.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:17 PM
maximil

I said Gleason, because he's fit in most of the year and some night's he's looked awesome. Pirnes has been good but he's a bit older. Barney hasn't seen much time yet but I think he is going to play the biggest role of any rookie in the race for the playoffs.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:25 PM
punchy1

great post. I also reckon it will be Gleason by a runner but, Avery is also in his first full season and while he weren't a rookie by NHL standards and he had seen ice time with us last year, I would certainly put him in the Honorable Mention cat.

To me, he is our most improved player also. I thought he were a waste of time with grand skills and then, Matty had a chat with him. Since, he has been brilliant and I reckon him to be the best at what he does in the NHL.

He is also scoring and to me, looks like He could handle centering our second line as a relief player if needs be from time to time.

So, Gleason, Camarney and then, Avery for his first full season of brilliance.

Pirnes has also queitly been a very good player for us. I think that with him at pivot on our fourth line (energy line) that it gives us a true and different look to throw at teams next year.

Cowan/Pirnes/Carter? Who knows.

Old
03-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Gleason over Pirnes

Barney just hasn't played enough games.

Old
03-18-2004, 04:46 PM
palffytofrovlov

I agree with Legionnaire... if Barney would have been with the club the whole year and placed on the line with Frolov I could see 20 + goals from Barney.. but the Kings ROY is Gleason....

Old
03-18-2004, 04:49 PM
LuckyLUC20

Gleason definitely. He's been great this year. Here's to a bright future with the Kings!

Old
03-18-2004, 04:56 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
I think it should be Pirnes only because hes been with the club all year long and plus hes in the line up at the most important time-Right Now

Old
03-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Gleason and Barney are probably the only ones that will be on the opening day roster next season, unless Palffy and Allison walk. Then Cammy may be on the opening roster. Barney hasn't played in enough games, but he is contributing late in the season. He would have been really special without all of the injuries. I see Pirnes more as a depth guy. If the Kings don't resign/replace Allison, then Pirnes may be on the 4th line next season, but the Kings won't be going anywhere without a #1 center (Stumpel/Army are not #1's).

I voted Gleason.

Old
03-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Allison is as good as gone Syd. There is no way we qualify him at 8 mil a season unless we aren't even going to make an offer to Ziggy.

Old
03-18-2004, 06:05 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
I think it should be Pirnes only because hes been with the club all year long and plus hes in the line up at the most important time-Right Now
Pirnes has only played five more games than Gleason. Pirnes, while effective after his injury, demotion and subsequent call up, has not played as near as difficult or pressure filled role as TimmyG

Old
03-18-2004, 06:06 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25
Gleason and Barney are probably the only ones that will be on the opening day roster next season, unless Palffy and Allison walk. Then Cammy may be on the opening roster. Barney hasn't played in enough games, but he is contributing late in the season. He would have been really special without all of the injuries. I see Pirnes more as a depth guy. If the Kings don't resign/replace Allison, then Pirnes may be on the 4th line next season, but the Kings won't be going anywhere without a #1 center (Stumpel/Army are not #1's).

I voted Gleason.
you really don't think that pirnes will be back? sure he's a depth 3rd/4th line forward, but we all know that murray loves depth guys, and he's been in the lineup all year. that by itself should tell you what management thinks of him. plus, he's cheap. bottom line, i think he's an effective player, more effective certainly than other depth guys on our roster (tripp????), and he provides good bang for his buck.

Old
03-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Pirnes has only played five more games than Gleason. Pirnes, while effective after his injury, demotion and subsequent call up, has not played as near as difficult or pressure filled role as TimmyG
Pirnes is the one in the line up right now. I'm not saying Timmy G doesnt desereve to be in the line up,I love his game more then anyone, but right now Pirnes is the guy who's in the line up and he's doing what he's being asked.

Old
03-18-2004, 06:26 PM
No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Allison is as good as gone Syd. There is no way we qualify him at 8 mil a season unless we aren't even going to make an offer to Ziggy.
I am not so sure about that. They can offer him a two way qualifying offer on June 30. They could also remove that offer from the table on August 1st (still keeping his rights), and could work something out.

Remember, Deadmarsh's 3 million will be off the books, and I think Stumpel will not be making anywhere near 3.5 next season.

There may be room to qualify JA, and losing an asset like JA (when healthy) for NOTHING is a horrible hockey move for the Kings.

(and the rest of the FA's can be hashed out in another thread come June 8th, after the Cup has been awarded)

Old
03-18-2004, 06:49 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One
I am not so sure about that. They can offer him a two way qualifying offer on June 30. They could also remove that offer from the table on August 1st (still keeping his rights), and could work something out.

Remember, Deadmarsh's 3 million will be off the books, and I think Stumpel will not be making anywhere near 3.5 next season.

There may be room to qualify JA, and losing an asset like JA (when healthy) for NOTHING is a horrible hockey move for the Kings.

(and the rest of the FA's can be hashed out in another thread come June 8th, after the Cup has been awarded)
That's right! They can offer him a two way deal.

Old
03-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
Doesn't Huet qualify?

Old
03-20-2004, 05:53 AM
Mindcircus

If we lose Allison with no compensation then basically we just went to the Bruin's front door and said "Hey we have Glen Murray here... he's yours if you want him."

Pirnes gets my vote simply because he's been here for the whole season and has made Belanger obsolete to some degree. Gleason a close second with his defense. Barney's been here for about 2 months and so has Cammy. Why are we even talking about them?

Old
03-20-2004, 03:36 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindcircus
If we lose Allison with no compensation then basically we just went to the Bruin's front door and said "Hey we have Glen Murray here... he's yours if you want him."

Pirnes gets my vote simply because he's been here for the whole season and has made Belanger obsolete to some degree. Gleason a close second with his defense. Barney's been here for about 2 months and so has Cammy. Why are we even talking about them?
because they're both awesome. i honestly think that if barney had made the team out of camp, he could have scored 20 goals and contended for the calder. i am that high on him. as for cammalleri, he has put up the best numbers of any rookie on the team, althoguh one could certainly argue that he shouldn't be considered a rookie.

one guy that i COMPLETELY forgot to include in this discussion is dustin brown. i don't think he's been our best rookie, and his injury certainly didn't help, but there's no doubt that he's been impressive and he deserves some recognition.

Closed Thread