HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

payroll compared to standings

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
payroll compared to standings

looking from a payroll stand point ,to rank in standings ,the tampa bay lighting(33 million) have to be the "best buy" payroll wise in the leauge.there sitting 1 point behind the detroit redwings for the leauge lead who's payroll is 77.8 million
these payroll figures havent been update since the trade deadline.
some of this has to make you shake your heads.
example..nashville preds payroll 23 million (lowest in leauge)and sets currently in the final 8 th spot in the western conference.
st louis with a payroll of 61 million sets currently in 7th spot in the western conf ,1 point ahead of nashville preds..make ya go hmmm doesnt it.it was talked about the owners wanting a 30 million cap.theres only 5 teams with a payroll under that in 2004

all figures in millions of dollars

Anaheim -54.4
Atlanta - 27.2
Boston -45.8
Buffalo - 33.0
Calgary - 35.2
Carolina - 37.8
Chicago - 31.6
Colorado - 60.9
Columbus - 32.1
Dallas- 67.6
Detroit- 77.8
Edmonton- 30.8
Florida- 26.4
Los Angeles- 46.1
Minnesota-26.8
Montreal -42.7
Nashville- 23.2
New Jersey-48.1
NY Islanders - 43.8
NY Rangers - 77.0
Ottawa -39.6
Philadelphia -65.1
Phoenix -37.8
Pittsburgh -26.6
San Jose -34.8
St.Louis -61.2
Tampa Bay-33.5
Toronto -61.8
Vancouver -38.7
Washington -51.1
AVERAGE -44.0
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Eastern Conf.

Team PTS
1. Tampa Bay 95
2. Philadelphia 94
3. Boston 93
4. Ottawa 90
5. Toronto 90
6. New Jersey 89
7. Montreal 87
8. NY Islanders 78

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Buffalo 74
10. Florida 71
11. Atlanta 69
12. Carolina 68
13. NY Rangers 63
14. Washington 52
15. Pittsburgh 47

Western Conf.

Team PTS
1. Detroit 96
2. Colorado 93
3. San Jose 88
4. Vancouver 88
5. Dallas 85
6. Calgary 84
7. St. Louis 81
8. Nashville 80

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Los Angeles 79
10. Edmonton 76
11. Minnesota 70
12. Anaheim 70
13. Phoenix 62
14. Chicago 53
15. Columbus 52

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 03-18-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Old
03-18-2004, 03:49 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
With our payroll our team should be better. There is a lot of wasted money on our roster. This should be fixed however over the next two season as over paid underachievers start to disapeer.

Old
03-18-2004, 03:56 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
It is also worth noting that McKay, Czerkawski and Audette are currently being paid 2/3 of their former salaries and not included as a part of team payroll. Savard did a terrible job running this team.

Old
03-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
With our payroll our team should be better. There is a lot of wasted money on our roster. This should be fixed however over the next two season as over paid underachievers start to disapeer.
Not really. We're below average and 14th in payroll by my count, yet we're 11th overall in the standings, just about right.

I agree however, that we have a lot of wasted money on the payroll. Gillette will be a happy man in the next few years as our payroll isn't going to rise a whole lot, yet our place in the standings will.

Old
03-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
It is also worth noting that McKay, Czerkawski and Audette are currently being paid 2/3 of their former salaries and not included as a part of team payroll. Savard did a terrible job running this team.
yup, thats exactly what im talking about. Not to forget 4 mill for Breezy, 2.? for Rivet, 2.? for Juneau, etc

Old
03-18-2004, 03:59 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
----------------------------------------------
mooch........
when we won our last cup in 92-93 our payroll was 10.3 million..lol..
we win it this year it will cost us 42 million..lol..the lord stanley has got quite pricey in the last 10 years eh.

Old
03-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Not really. We're below average and 14th in payroll by my count, yet we're 11th overall in the standings, just about right.
You make a good point there, but i just think if our money was better spent we could be even higher.

Old
03-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie
----------------------------------------------
mooch........
when we won our last cup in 92-93 our payroll was 10.3 million..lol..
we win it this year it will cost us 42 million..lol..the lord stanley has got quite pricey in the last 10 years eh.
WOW 10 mill

Damn right its gotten pricey

Old
03-18-2004, 04:07 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
WOW 10 mill

Damn right its gotten pricey
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
check this link out..you will see, if you look at the ny rangers they were the first team and the main reason imho hockey salaries have gotten outta hand big time...
http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/$maseq_e.htm

Old
03-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Mooch

Quote:
check this link out..you will see, if you look at the ny rangers they were the first team and the main reason imho hockey salaries have gotten outta hand big time...
Thanks for the Link. I agree, the Rangers have started this huge inflation in salaries.

Edit: Another thing i noticed there is that the habs have decreased roster salary by 6.1 mill from last season. I guess money cant by every thing ehh!

Old
03-18-2004, 04:21 PM
Wisent

Quote:
It's not just the Rangers. There are several teams which salaries exploded. Just look at Detroit , Colorado or New Jersey for example. There are several to blame I think. After all, if only the Rangers would pay that much, there wouldn't change much. They can't take all 50 or so starplayers on their roster. Not to mention the mediocre players who earn way too much .

Last edited by Wisent: 03-18-2004 at 04:22 PM. Reason: my grammar sucks!!
Old
03-18-2004, 04:28 PM
BLONG7

The Rag$ definitely started the whole $$$$$$$$$$$$$ process, and in MLB it was the Yankee$.... are we noticing any similarities here???

Old
03-18-2004, 04:35 PM
Mooch

I think the Rags are the primary cause, where teams like Detriot, Colorado are just followers!

Old
03-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
I think the Rags are the primary cause, where teams like Detriot, Colorado are just followers!
================================================== ======
i agree the rags started it and the rest had to try there best to keep up or risk being left behind.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:50 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Yeah, right...

He added players who were FA that nobody wanted + took some gambles to improve his team.

Don't forget we had no depth whatsoever, he HAD to acquire players and it only cost him money, in many cases.

Brisebois' contract is too much, Rivet's too... but both were to become UFAs and we needed them to stay.

We also didn't give much for Audette (a UFA Rucinsky), Czerkawski if he'd have worked out (Asham), Dackell (8th), Quintal (4th?), Juneau (UFA), McKay (UFA), etc...

The point in acquiring those guys wasn't to go for the cup, it just meant to add depth and worked.

I guess Savard made such an awful job but Gainey is great because "his team" is going for th playoffs. BG only traded for Dowd and Kovalev [while adding Begin and Langdon... not a big deal in Langdon's case]... it would have been Savard's team. Don't diss the guy because he inherited of such a bad hockey club when he arrived ( Houle had done wonders to a once powerful organization... )

Old
03-19-2004, 01:56 AM
db23

Quote:
You also have to remember that Savard offered Turgeon and Lapointe the two biggest free agent stinkers of the past few years MORE than they signed for with Boston and Dallas. Lucky for his sorry ass they didn't want to play in Montreal.

Last edited by db23: 03-19-2004 at 02:01 AM.
Old
03-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent
It's not just the Rangers. There are several teams which salaries exploded. Just look at Detroit , Colorado or New Jersey for example.
We're guilty down here too.

Old
03-19-2004, 07:53 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
You also have to remember that Savard offered Turgeon and Lapointe the two biggest free agent stinkers of the past few years MORE than they signed for with Boston and Dallas. Lucky for his sorry ass they didn't want to play in Montreal.
I would like to see some proof of that. If my memory serves me correctly, montreal WASN'T willing to pay Lapointe the amount he got from Boston....I don't recall even made a real serious run at Turgeon. We DEFINATELY didn't offer him more than Dallas!

The other thing the Savard bashers have to remember is free agency was looked upon very different a few yars back. GM's were throwing around money like crazy and if you wanted to compete in the UFA pool you had to offer big dollars. I mean look atthe type of monet free agents were getting 3-4 years ago and compare it to the last two years. When UFA status first kicked in, GM's were like kids inthe candy story. It took awhile for things to fall sort of into line. Savard's hand was forced in the signings of Brisebois and Rivet by market value.

Old
03-19-2004, 08:08 AM
sandman08

i'd also like to add another team that has added to the increase in payroll and thats the leafs (not trying to bash here folks just stating what has come to be known as a fact), if reports are true that they were in the bidding war for bobby holik, then they were/are indirectly responsible for his current salary.
as well, the devils arent a team to go out and spend lavishly, sure theyre salary is above average but its not ridiculous like other teams.. 4 mil over the average isnt all that bad.

and finally, in regards to savard, he had the right idea when it came to getting guys to add depth and what not for the team but he went about with a blank checkbook and thats where the problem occurs, that and he gave a few guys NTCs and the terms of the deals in some cases were long, having said that however, as darz mentioned before me, a lot of that has to do with the market and the situation the team was in. he made some moves to get "lesser known" players to fill in gaps and holes in the lineup in hopes of improving the team and thats the right thing to do... in a baseball sense, the jays didnt go after the A+ pitchers for their staff, they went about adding the B to B+ pitchers and came out with a really good and capable staff and now have a team that is being considered to contend in a very tough division.. savard was trying to do the same thing, add a few guys whom he thought would be "character guys" who would help the team now and let the kids develop

Closed Thread