HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Out of State Jacket Fans

Old
04-15-2009, 12:51 PM
SoCalJacketsFan

vCash: 500
Out of State Jacket Fans

Hi all,

First of all, I just want to say thanks to everyone on this board. Being a part of this community has really helped me stay in touch with the CBJ fan base while being way out here on the west coast. I joined the board this season and have enjoyed every minute. So, thanks again!

Secondly, I just wanted to invite any other out-of-state (or even out-of-country?) Jacket fans to sound off on this thread. I just booked my flight home for Game 3, a red-eye out of San Diego Monday night ( playoff delirium + physical exhaustion + beer = once in a lifetime experience!) The only game I have seen live this season was 12/7 at Anaheim, so I am happy to say my first home game all year will be the first playoff game in franchise history, the game I have waited nine years for.

Thirdly, I just wanted to let everyone know that Blue Jackets Awareness is on the rise out here. I've got all my co-workers and a good number of my clients on the Believe Train, and where I used to get blank looks whenever I would mention our boys, I now get excitement and well-wishes. In fact, I have a friend that is pretty high up in the Ducks organization. Her parents are my clients and I have totally converted them to the Believe Train, to the point that they even texted me congrats when the Jackets clinched

And finally... thanks for letting me ramble

CARRY THE FLAG! I BELIEVE!!!

SoCalJacketsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:54 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalJacketsFan View Post
I just booked my flight home for Game 3, a red-eye out of San Diego Monday night ( playoff delirium + physical exhaustion + beer = once in a lifetime experience!) The only game I have seen live this season was 12/7 at Anaheim, so I am happy to say my first home game all year will be the first playoff game in franchise history, the game I have waited nine years for.
Awesome, good on ya, mate. Make sure to get to the arena district early on Tuesday, it's gonna be nutso. Maybe I'll see you at the RBar before faceoff, I'll buy you an out-of-towner beer. Look for the 123.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 12:59 PM
SoCalJacketsFan

I'll be there, brother! I'll be wearing a Home Union Blue jersey and huge rings under my blood-shot eyes.

I'll buy you a beer to say thanks for the awesome avatar!

Old
04-15-2009, 01:07 PM
JacketsFanWest

It doesn't look like I'll be able to fly out to Columbus for a game unless there's one on a weekend (since I can't take time off work ).

Hopefully the Jackets make it past the first round and play Anaheim or San Jose. There's a growing group of Jackets fans in California, and it would be great to have Jackets fans represented at those away games.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 01:13 PM
SoCalJacketsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacketsFanWest View Post
It doesn't look like I'll be able to fly out to Columbus for a game unless there's one on a weekend (since I can't take time off work ).

Hopefully the Jackets make it past the first round and play Anaheim or San Jose. There's a growing group of Jackets fans in California, and it would be great to have Jackets fans represented at those away games.
I probably wouldn't be able to make a San Jose series but a series in Anaheim would be unreal. I would love to flood the Honda Center with a Sea of Blue!!!

Old
04-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
I may qualify for this thread since I'm in transition moving to Louisville, Ky. I just wanted to say super idea for a thread.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 01:57 PM
skimp

I'm a Columbus native currently living in Pittsburgh for school. I'm close enough that I've been making it back home fairly often, so I don't have it as rough as you guys who are so much farther away.

I'll be spending the weekend getting ahead on homework so I can drive home for each of the playoff games. Finals are coming up soon, so this isn't the best idea in the world, but I've been waiting a long, long time for this. I know it'll be worth it.

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:17 PM
CBJinLA

I think I nearly wept with glee when I saw this thread this morning.

I just moved to L.A. 3 weeks ago from Columbus and have been frantically searching for places to catch games ever since. I'd been a season ticket holder since year 2 and brilliantly decided to move 3 weeks before the end of our 1st playoff season ever. Way. To. Go.

Any of you other SoCal Jackets know of any places that may be broadcasting the game tomorrow? I've no cable. No contacts. No idea where any sports bars are. Just my jersey, a shoddy internet connection, and an overwhelming love for our CBJ.

CBJinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 02:44 PM
SoCalJacketsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I may qualify for this thread since I'm in transition moving to Louisville, Ky. I just wanted to say super idea for a thread.
You're in!

Thanks, it seems to be helping already.

Old
04-15-2009, 02:47 PM
SoCalJacketsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJinLA View Post

I just moved to L.A. 3 weeks ago from Columbus and have been frantically searching for places to catch games ever since. I'd been a season ticket holder since year 2 and brilliantly decided to move 3 weeks before the end of our 1st playoff season ever. Way. To. Go.

Any of you other SoCal Jackets know of any places that may be broadcasting the game tomorrow? I've no cable. No contacts. No idea where any sports bars are. Just my jersey, a shoddy internet connection, and an overwhelming love for our CBJ.
Where are you in LA (it's a big place). I was never able to find a sports bar in LA that carried a CBJ crowd (I moved out to the sticks a few years ago but I used to live in LA), but I've found the trick is to find a sports bar that carries NHL Center Ice and just ask them to put the game on. JacketsFanWest might know of a place...

I'd invite you down here for Game 1 tomorrow but I have to work all night

Old
04-15-2009, 03:21 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Where's our resident St. Croix representative JF?

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 03:35 PM
anteater90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Where's our resident St. Croix representative JF?
In Transit? for a surprise trip to Detroit?

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:28 PM
JF Labbe

Quote:
Maybe the saddest thing I've ever read on this board. Short of mt-svk's daughter. My condolences.

JF Labbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 04:53 PM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF Labbe View Post
Maybe the saddest thing I've ever read on this board. Short of mt-svk's daughter. My condolences.
Did you miss the part about me living in PITTSBURGH?

skimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 05:05 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:

I don't know of any sports bars in Los Angeles that are guaranteed to be showing hockey, much less the Jackets/Wings games.

You might try Yankee Doodles in Santa Monica. It bills itself as the largest sports bar in Los Angeles. You could also try the ESPN Zones in LA or Anaheim.

Some sports bars will have hockey on if there there there isn't anything else on. (there was one time I was watching a hockey game at an Elephant Bar, but they switched to poker since more people wanted to watch that.) LA is a not the place to be if you're a hockey fan.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:

See if there are any Jilians out there, all of their franchises carry Center Ice.

Old
04-15-2009, 05:49 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

CBJ: I know it's an old saying, but let your fingers do the walking. Get a copy of the phone book and wear it out until you find a spot! I'm sure somewhere will cater to you! It's a huge area, lots of bars.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Macster

I will be watching the games on the tube, it sucks not being able to get down there. I just bought a fresh away jersey, and have a ton of my friends pulling for the Jackets. There is a ton of new exposure for the team up here!

Macster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Choate51

I hope you guys kick the crap out of Detroit!

Choate51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choate51 View Post
I hope you guys kick the crap out of Detroit!
That's our goal, many here siad via a poll that Detroit would be thier first choice to play in the first round, we got it.

Columbus, Indy eh, cool, I go thru there often of late.

Old
04-15-2009, 10:58 PM
ChasingCheckers
chasingcheckers*****

I was at the last game of the reg. season on Saturday... flew up just for it! Next Tuesday, I'll be driving back to Columbus from North Carolina for game three. I am SO EXCITED! Go Jackets!

(I'm a terrible fan, really... I have season tickets to the Hurricanes and didn't buy playoff tickets so I could spend money on Jackets roadtrips instead!)

ChasingCheckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:03 PM
JacketFanInFL

I had tickets to come up but my work duties kept me from making the trip. Sucks that the schedule is released days before the playoffs, but hey can't really help that.

I will be able to do a round two appearance when we get there.

JacketFanInFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:50 AM
CapnCornelius

Sadly I'm going to miss round one. Too hard to make it back during a week with things as busy as they are. I'll be there in spirit though.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:11 AM
CBJinLA

Thanks for the advice (and condolences), all. I know LA isn't a hockey town...sad, considering they've got 2 NHL franchises in the greater metro-area.

I'll be calling a few places tomorrow, Yankee Doodles might fit the bill. I know there's a Chili's in Westwood that is at least moderately pro-puck as I watched a Ducks/Coyotes game there last week and chatted with a few bartenders about the playoffs, but it's always hard to say.

....t-minus 15(ish) hours 'til the puck drops....

CBJinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Hugg

I just moved from Columbus to Nashville 2 months ago. It's killing me that we finally made the playoffs and I'm not going to be able to go to a game.

We're throwing a little party for the game tomorrow. I'm the only Jackets fan in the group, but my friends are coming on the ride with me.

Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote