HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

if we don't get 1st overall....

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Edge

vCash: 500
and there you go.

I think our pick {assuming we don't move up} is coming from the WHL. I couldnt say who, but i think they're looking at that.

Old
03-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Edge

I'm curious as to where the Rangers have Picard rated though. He intrigues me which is rare because I've never been a fan of the Q.

Old
03-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Just a word of advice for anyone looking at this draft. More than ever you cannot go by the numbers this year.
Good call, I agree.

Old
03-19-2004, 04:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
and there you go.

I think our pick {assuming we don't move up} is coming from the WHL. I couldnt say who, but i think they're looking at that.
Well, we know that our scouts have talked to Roman Tesliuk, i'd expect us to use the Toronto pick to nab him. He projects as a defensive D-man, who could hopefully communicate well with either Tyutin or Kondratiev.

Old
03-19-2004, 07:29 PM
BigE

I'd really like to get Malkin.

From the reports that I've read he never takes a shift off and that's the kind of player the Rangers need more of. Plus they say that his talent level isn't that far off from Ovechkin. A Russian kid that wants to play could be very scary.

Old
03-19-2004, 07:34 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE

From the reports that I've read he never takes a shift off and that's the kind of player the Rangers need more of. Plus they say that his talent level isn't that far off from Ovechkin. A Russian kid that wants to play could be very scary.
I keep hearing about this big concussion he's had. That scares me... a lot. A player with a concussion history before entering the league could be a major problem. Maybe this isn't as serious as I've heard, but we cant afford to draft 2nd overall and then have him out of the game in 3 years.

Old
03-19-2004, 11:01 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I keep hearing about this big concussion he's had. That scares me... a lot. A player with a concussion history before entering the league could be a major problem. Maybe this isn't as serious as I've heard, but we cant afford to draft 2nd overall and then have him out of the game in 3 years.
True, although I hadn't heard that he'd received any concussion.

Could you be thinking of Olesz? Phaneuf really rung his bell at the WJC. He came flying down the wing, squeaked past a forward at the blueline and then cut in. He caught a shoulder from hell and was so knocked out that they couldn't get his mouth guard out for five minutes. That was a hell of a hit and everytime I hear Phaneufs name I see stars myself. Oh how I would of loved to have had that kid in last years draft.

Old
03-20-2004, 08:49 AM
Foppa_Rules

If you guys get the first pick, please take Malkin. Then Crosby in 2005.

Old
03-20-2004, 08:55 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
A good example of this would be on draft day last year where each of the teams with the top four picks said that they got the guy that was number one on their list. Pittsburgh with Fleury, Carolina with Stall, Florida with Horton and Columbus with Zherdev. Each of them said the same thing in an interview.

The Rangers said that Jessiman was number four on their list.
sather is only prasing jessiman because he is big thats all, has some skill but he needs to make it look like we got a great offensive p[rosect bet jessiman will be a flop plus probably never play in ny

Old
03-20-2004, 08:59 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:

everyone keeps saying to pick all these russians and eoropenas what is nyr gonna be like another ottawa with all europeans we need the skills of north american players grit and skill the perfect combination,leclair is a perfect example of a north american well american power fowrds can score pluys play tough u dont get that much toughness from all these euro players

Old
03-20-2004, 10:48 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa_Rules
If you guys get the first pick, please take Malkin. Then Crosby in 2005.
i'll sign up for that but tell us why you want us to take them and not ovechkin??

Old
03-20-2004, 01:11 PM
Kubera55

In general I always support BPA drafting. Particularly in an entry draft system like the NHL's, it just doesn't make sense to draft for 'need' because with very few expceptions, the player you draft isn't showing up for 2-4 years. And a lot of needs change in that time.

That being said, the only position I'd avoid drafting towards is goalie. But a center, a wing, a defenseman, offensive or defensive at any position . . . who cares? The Rangers will need it all eventually.

I would also comment that I definitely sense a 'consolodation' trade in the works. Sather's going to use a lot of the redundant pieces he picked up in the purge and try to make some moves this summer. I'm sure he'll push for Ovechevkin, but I doubt he'll pay what'll take. (And I'm half hoping he doesn't. It's going to take a ton, and this team really should be done with one-player solutions.)

If I were Sather I think I'd use a package of 2nd rounders and/or Toronto's 1st to get another pick in the top 10. That should be doable and the upside of having two-blue-chippers instead of just one and a ton of red-chippers is obvious.

Barker and Ladd sure would look like a nice haul . . . and together they'd probably be better for the franchise than Ovechevkin alone. (Particularly since the Rangers already have Jagr in New York to lead the offense.)

Old
03-20-2004, 03:38 PM
charliemurphy

I agree.
Anyone of these combos would be great.
Ladd-Barker,Ladd-Malkin
Wolski-Malkin, Wolski-Barker
Chpchura-Smid, Chipchura-Barker

Old
03-20-2004, 04:03 PM
Edge

Quote:

Depends on how serious his concussion is.

Old
03-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Hankenstein

Quote:

Come on Edge. This is a risk a LION would take!

Old
03-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Edge

Ya know it's a funny thing about lions. For the most part they are lazy scavengers.

They sleep 20 hours a day and resemble slabs of meat.

They are too big for their own good and usually let other animals catch the food before using their size to take it for themselves.

After they eat, they go back to sleep with flys hovering over them.

Yup I can def. see how lions and the rangers belong in the same sentence.

Old
03-20-2004, 04:54 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobis13
Come on Edge. This is a risk a LION would take!
Rangers can't afford RISK at this point.

Old
03-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Hankenstein

I know. I was referring to Sathers comments about the Lindros deal....

Old
03-20-2004, 05:17 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobis13
I know. I was referring to Sathers comments about the Lindros deal....
Gotcha.... wasn't thinking about that....

Old
03-20-2004, 05:26 PM
BigE

Quote:
When did he get a concussion or are you too thinking of Olesz?

Old
03-20-2004, 05:43 PM
FanaticalFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
How about Lauri Tukonen?
I'm curious my self why not to take Lauri. From RED LINE (From USA today online) the scouts there seemed to think highly of him.

"In the first game of the( Five Nations) tournament (Lauri Korpikoski) combined with linemate Lauri Tukonen to physically dominate and pulverize the Czechs down low along the walls as they won every battle and snared every loose puck on their way to piling up four goals in a 5-4 victory that was essentially a two-man effort with the rest of the club just along for the ride."

With Red Line rating him #6 At 6-2 and a right handed shot, he sounds perhaps like a Robert Lang type, though I don't know since I haven't seen him play.

Old
03-20-2004, 06:56 PM
Edge

Quote:
When did he get a concussion or are you too thinking of Olesz?

Nope Malkin has been out for a while with a concussion. I dont know how long at this point though.

Old
03-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticalFan
I'm curious my self why not to take Lauri. From RED LINE (From USA today online) the scouts there seemed to think highly of him.

"In the first game of the( Five Nations) tournament (Lauri Korpikoski) combined with linemate Lauri Tukonen to physically dominate and pulverize the Czechs down low along the walls as they won every battle and snared every loose puck on their way to piling up four goals in a 5-4 victory that was essentially a two-man effort with the rest of the club just along for the ride."

With Red Line rating him #6 At 6-2 and a right handed shot, he sounds perhaps like a Robert Lang type, though I don't know since I haven't seen him play.

For me it comes down to two things.

A. I've never been a fan of redline. Never will be. In all honesty I've seen better analysis for free on here and I wouldn't even rank them amongst the top 3 sources i'd even look into.

B. The problem is trying to figure out if a player is legitamly good or if he just clicked with a linemate. {see Colby Armstrong for an example}.

Closed Thread