HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I guess the AV's are finding out

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 07:47 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
I guess the AV's are finding out

How much fun it is to come and play Northeast teams on the road. Or for that matter Eastern teams period. I would be shocked this year if the champion does not come out of the east.

Old
03-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

vCash: 50
Sens are without a doubt a strong team. The Avs are currently not playing all that well as a team. Not having Forsberg, Tanguay, Hinote and Nikolishin hurts a bit. A lot of the players don't look all that great at the moment. Sakic, Konowalchuk and some of the new players are the only ones looking good lately.

Old
03-18-2004, 08:04 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian
Sens are without a doubt a strong team. The Avs are currently not playing all that well as a team. Not having Forsberg, Tanguay, Hinote and Nikolishin hurts a bit. A lot of the players don't look all that great at the moment. Sakic, Konowalchuk and some of the new players are the only ones looking good lately.

It really was not a shot at the Avs more along the lines of a compliment towards the Eastern teams

Old
03-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

vCash: 500
Wonder if some frutty green dinosaur will use the they were missing 3 out of their 4 best players excuse again.

Old
03-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Nordik_19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeverine
Wonder if some frutty green dinosaur will use the they were missing 3 out of their 4 best players excuse again.
No need to do it because you already pointed this out for all of us but i'll try the Granato is a moron excuse ! Stop messing with the lines Granato please when will you learn...

Old
03-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Ottawa earned the win tonight, they clearly outplayed Colorado. You wont find many Avs fans arguing that point. You only can go with the horses you have and when your coach panics and calls a time out and then proceeds to play the line juggling game than its over from that point.

Old
03-18-2004, 09:42 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
They can't reall use the "we're missing..." excuse cause Ottawa was missing just as many players Not that they would, it was pretty clear the Sens just outworked them all night. But they've got Alfredsson, White, Varada and Volchenkov out....who are as important to their team as the Av's injured are.

Old
03-18-2004, 09:46 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
They can't reall use the "we're missing..." excuse cause Ottawa was missing just as many players Not that they would, it was pretty clear the Sens just outworked them all night. But they've got Alfredsson, White, Varada and Volchenkov out....who are as important to their team as the Av's injured are.
Yeah...true...but the Avs are missing the 2 best players in that bunch though.

But still...great game by the sens...credit needs to be given to them for tonight. The avs looked flat to be quite honest...I'm not putting too much "hoopla" in this game that the sens are turning it around.

Old
03-18-2004, 09:49 PM
SumOfUs

I was at the game tonight and what a game it was. The standing O for Lalime after that 5 on 3 save was insane. Good job Patty, keep it up. Great game by the Sens!

Old
03-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Breck Av

No excuses here. Ottawa played a pretty good game, they didn't give up many good scoring chances and Lalime made two great saves on Selanne and Hejduk, by far the best chances Colorado had all night.

SensGod is right, it's a bit unfair to compare the teams' injuries, as Forsberg and Tanguay are the best of each group watching the game from the press box.

I think Colorado has now lost to every Northeast team save Toronto, not a good sign for them Saturday night. Buffalo beat them early in the year on a Chris Drury 3rd period goal, Boston smoked them in Denver, and obviously Montreal and Ottawa have held the Avs to two goals in two games.

Going up against Chara is not an easy task for Sakic and Hejduk, he just swallows them up. That's where having Forsberg helps against Ottawa.

Detroit has pretty much sewn up 1st overall in the Western Conference, unless Colorado can sweep the home and home series next weekend.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av
I think Colorado has now lost to every Northeast team save Toronto, not a good sign for them Saturday night.
Its going to get worse on Friday

Old
03-18-2004, 10:03 PM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

Quote:
I could of course blame it on a NHL conspiracy masterminded by a rival GM. That one is more fun anyway.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
Its going to get worse on Friday
Why Friday? The game's on Saturday .

Old
03-18-2004, 10:07 PM
Freudian
Calmer than you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Yeah...true...but the Avs are missing the 2 best players in that bunch though.

But still...great game by the sens...credit needs to be given to them for tonight. The avs looked flat to be quite honest...I'm not putting too much "hoopla" in this game that the sens are turning it around.
Sens have been great at going into suffocating mode when in the lead lately. They are very hard to play against when they get a lead. Which should make Sensfans pretty excited for the playoffs.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av
Why Friday? The game's on Saturday .
Shhhhh don't tell him that

Old
03-18-2004, 10:32 PM
300spartans

It's ok as I bet those northeast teams don't like coming through the northwest either!

300S

Old
03-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Knucklez

Where's Yoshi claiming that the game meant nothing to the Avs?

Old
03-18-2004, 10:44 PM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaloFan
Where's Yoshi claiming that the game meant nothing to the Avs?
It didn't mean much after the 'Nucks lost.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Please tell me why it would be a shame if a Western Conference team wins it above an Eastern Conference team? Call me crazy but I think the leader of the West (Wings) is far superior when compared with the leader of the East (Bolts).

Old
03-19-2004, 02:06 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Please tell me why it would be a shame if a Western Conference team wins it above an Eastern Conference team? Call me crazy but I think the leader of the West (Wings) is far superior when compared with the leader of the East (Bolts).
But are they far superior to the sens, leafs, flyers ?

Old
03-19-2004, 02:10 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
But are they far superior to the sens, leafs, flyers ?
They are easily better IMO, but I am also confident that the Avs, Nucks, Stars and Blues are able to beat those teams.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:18 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
They are easily better IMO, but I am also confident that the Avs, Nucks, Stars and Blues are able to beat those teams.
I could also say that any of the top 7 teams in the east would be able to beat any of the teams you just named in a 7 games series.

I feel like the league has been as been as competitive from top to bottom in both conferences as it's ever been in recent memory. Anyone who says one conference is harder to play in than the other is mistaken IMO. I'm sure you'd agree with that wouldn't you ?

Old
03-19-2004, 02:29 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
I could also say that any of the top 7 teams in the east would be able to beat any of the teams you just named in a 7 games series.

I feel like the league has been as been as competitive from top to bottom in both conferences as it's ever been in recent memory. Anyone who says one conference is harder to play in than the other is mistaken IMO. I'm sure you'd agree with that wouldn't you ?
Oh for certain, the East has definitely closed the gap, but IMO there still is one. The East has added a young, emerging team but still not enough to beat the experience of the big 3. The conferences are very close, should be interesting to see, but to say it would be a shame if the eventual winner isn't from the East is plain ignorant.

Old
03-19-2004, 10:11 AM
SumOfUs

Quote:
Your opinion is completely biased. How many Eastern games do you watch? Saying that the Wings are easily better than the Sens, Leafs, Flyers and Bruins is plain ridiculous. Although these 4 teams don't have as good a record as the Wings, they are just as good if not better. I watch games from both conferences on a regular basis and I tell you, there is indeed a gap this year. However, unlike in the past, the East is the superior conference. I'm sick of all you westerners counting the East out. In the past the east was weak but now it's the dominant conference in the league. You'll see come the SC final, the East will take it.

Wings aside, the West looks terrible this year compared to expectations. The Avalanche were expected to run away with the league and look where they sit now. In the middle of a Northeast roadtrip that has so far resulted in a schooling. The Canucks, although a great team, will not be the same after the Bertuzzi incident. The Sharks have proven a lot this season but no way do they have the depth of the Eastern teams. The Stars are probably the best team in the West and the only team in the west I believe would seriously threaten the 4 eastern teams mentioned above in a series. Blues? You've got to be kidding me. Any of those 4 teams from the east could handily eliminate them.

I really don't understand why you think the West is so great because this year it is not. This is probably due to a lack of exposure to the East. The power of the confrences began to shift last year and now it is complete. The East is the better conference, and that will be evident come playoff time.

Old
03-19-2004, 10:21 AM
DarioinDenver

The age old addage that the playoffs are a totally different ball game should be inserted here.

Avs were out worked and had no defensive cohesiveness. Lalime had a relatively easy night in goal and made a couple of big stops when he needed to.

Ottawa has like lost four games in regulation at home all year, and they typically blow out teams when they do win at home. Some consideration should be given to the fact that dispite the Avs looking flat and chasing in their own end all night, they did stay in the game when he could have turned into an ugly blow out. If the Avs gain any sort of puck possesion game and gel defensively they make that a much closer game. In my opinion Montreal was the scarier of the two matchups on this EC tour so far.

Closed Thread