HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just a thought for the offseason

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Just a thought for the offseason

Sign Jan Hlavac to a 1 year, $500k contract?

This is, of course, if Nedved comes back.

I was reading LHF's game report, and he commented how Torres didn't quite look right on the left wing with Nedved and Dvorak. And it got me to thinking of a way to perhaps really deepen up the Oilers forwards corps without spending all that much bread.

Resign Nedved at $3.5 million if possible, then Hlavac for $500k, and how about these lines:

Hlavac/Nedved/Dvorak
Smyth/York/Hemsky
Torres/Stoll/Laraques or Isbister (have to pick one!)
Moreau/Reasoner/Pisani

Either shelf Horcoff and one of Laraque or Isbister, or trade 'em.

I personally LOVE those lines. If you could move Horcoff & Izzy for a defenseman.. say.... maybe trying to get Markov out of Montreal if they'd move him. The reason why you move Izzy or Laraque is to make a bit more salary room, and you probobly only need one of 'em anyways. You move Horcoff simply because you have 4 other better centreman.. this is up to debate though, but I'd rather keep Stoll or Reasoner personally.

If Hlavac doesn't work out, oh well, call up Chimera or something. But it's a pretty low risk venture

Old
03-17-2004, 04:17 PM
Superfluous U

That's not a half bad idea... Maybe giving Hlavac a shot gives Nedved another incentive to sign a reasonable longer term deal? As long as you can shuffle of Horcoff and a winger for a decent return, it might work.

Old
03-17-2004, 04:20 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
This of course falls under the grand assumption that the Rangers don't qualify him, and that he would take a $500K paycut.

Old
03-17-2004, 04:21 PM
OilerFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Sign Jan Hlavac to a 1 year, $500k contract?

This is, of course, if Nedved comes back.

I was reading LHF's game report, and he commented how Torres didn't quite look right on the left wing with Nedved and Dvorak. And it got me to thinking of a way to perhaps really deepen up the Oilers forwards corps without spending all that much bread.

Resign Nedved at $3.5 million if possible, then Hlavac for $500k, and how about these lines:

Hlavac/Nedved/Dvorak
Smyth/York/Hemsky
Torres/Stoll/Laraques or Isbister (have to pick one!)
Moreau/Reasoner/Pisani

Either shelf Horcoff and one of Laraque or Isbister, or trade 'em.

I personally LOVE those lines. If you could move Horcoff & Izzy for a defenseman.. say.... maybe trying to get Markov out of Montreal if they'd move him. The reason why you move Izzy or Laraque is to make a bit more salary room, and you probobly only need one of 'em anyways. You move Horcoff simply because you have 4 other better centreman.. this is up to debate though, but I'd rather keep Stoll or Reasoner personally.

If Hlavac doesn't work out, oh well, call up Chimera or something. But it's a pretty low risk venture
I think this would be a great move to reunite the "czech-mate" line...although I believe Nedved is set to make $5+ million next year, which in my opinion the Oilers should pony up....just look at the impact this guy has had to our lineup. I don't agree with trading Horcoff....he is a turning into a consistent 2-way forward that can put up 40+ points and players like him do not often come at his pricetag in the NHL these days. Isbister could be moved although I don't think they would get much in return...although the salary dump would more than compensate for the Hlavac signing and help chip in to the Nedved fund. Since they don't have to come up with the $4.1 million for Salo and most certainly won't be spending $2 million on Oates plus the $2 million from Isbister they should have over $8 million dollars of extra salary next year, which would allow us to have a "slush fund" in case the Conklin/Markkanen thing doesn't work out and we have to get a legit #1 goalie.

Old
03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
This of course falls under the grand assumption that the Rangers don't qualify him, and that he would take a $500K paycut.
Hm? I was under the impression he made $500k right now - was I that wrong?

$1 million might be a bit much to pay him. Perhaps something like a $500k deal + bonuses that could go as high as $2 million if he scores 25 goals or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan24
I think this would be a great move to reunite the "czech-mate" line...although I believe Nedved is set to make $5+ million next year, which in my opinion the Oilers should pony up....just look at the impact this guy has had to our lineup. I don't agree with trading Horcoff....he is a turning into a consistent 2-way forward that can put up 40+ points and players like him do not often come at his pricetag in the NHL these days. Isbister could be moved although I don't think they would get much in return...although the salary dump would more than compensate for the Hlavac signing and help chip in to the Nedved fund. Since they don't have to come up with the $4.1 million for Salo and most certainly won't be spending $2 million on Oates plus the $2 million from Isbister they should have over $8 million dollars of extra salary next year, which would allow us to have a "slush fund" in case the Conklin/Markkanen thing doesn't work out and we have to get a legit #1 goalie.
Nedved's option is at $5 million. Simply don't sign the option, and on July 1st, 12:01 AM, offer Nedved a $3.5 million dollar contract for 3 years. I think he'll have to really look at that.

Okay, if you don't agree on trading Horcoff, who comes out of the lineup for him - Reasoner or Stoll?

As for the extra money thing, sure, but let's also not forget that there are several Oilers looking for raises too, such as Jason Smith. I believe Salo made $3.9, Oates $1.5, and Izzy $1.8, so that adds up to $7.4 million. Add in Nedved at $3.5, let's say Hlavac at $1 million here (it might take that much, who knows), throw in some raises, and Markannen's salary, you're probobly right back up there. However, that lineup I wrote, weather it works or not, I think would be a terrific group of forwards to have. Real solid bunch.

Old
03-17-2004, 04:30 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
according to NHLPA.com he makes $1mil, and if he costs that much it's a little expensive for a chemistry experiment, especially with all the forwards the Oilerrs have.

Old
03-17-2004, 04:49 PM
barto

I say we trade Horcoff in the off-season, after he's had a strong run in either the playoffs or WCs. Then get him BACK in, say, December after he's had another poor start to the season, but before he turns his play up a notch again.

Heh. I don't see the Oilers trading Horcoff away after he's shown these late-season surges - I think MacT really likes him (duh). But Stoll's shown a LOT this year, and Reasoner's shown some good stuff, too. I wonder if Stoll's strong play this year would give the Oilers some ideas of moving Reasoner, or maybe Horcoff. Hm.

That's really only IF Nedved stays on, of course. I'd bet on them seeing what kind of chemistry could be developed with Dvo and Nedved - try a few guys in there to see who clicks. Torres is looking OK to me there & adds some 'crash' to the 'dash' and 'flash'. Hey, I like the sound of that one. -patting myself on the back-

Obviously too early to get worked up over it, but I'm sure KLowe will try reasonably hard to get something done with Nedved for subsequent years.

Bart
Bart

Old
03-17-2004, 04:52 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

I think we are ok if we just keep Nedved.

Try this on

Torres- York - Dvorak
Smyth - Nedved - Hemsky
Moreau - Reasoner - Isbister
Horcoff - Stoll - Laraque

or you sould swap Hor and Isbister too.

I broke up Nedved and Dvorak since that York Torres Dvo line was great for us this year and this lets Hemsky have a pure shooter and a crasher on his line. That could be insanely good

Moreau Reasoner and Issy can grind out goals and play checker and that 4th line looks like a great energy line.

Thoughts?

Old
03-17-2004, 05:17 PM
MrMackey

Is it just me, or would Isbister look good on the Nedved line?

Izzy's looked GREAT in his last 2 games back and I think it might be worth a shot there. Torres doesn't look as good as I was hoping, but he doesn't look bad either IMO.

I don't think we'd want to bring in Hlavac. Sometimes trying to hard to re-create a spark doesn't produce the expected results. Its not like the Kariya/Selanne connection has set the league ablaze this year. Same thing when they reunited the Legion of Doom a few years back.

Old
03-17-2004, 07:51 PM
Cerebral

I definitely don't think Hlavac is a guy we should go out and pick up in the off-season, even if he comes over for less than $1 million. We already don't have room for all the wingers in our system and why would we trade/move Horcoff in favor of Hlavac? If anything, we need to move out some of the wingers we already have to make room for some of the young guys (Salmelainen deserves a shot, Rita might be ready if he's truly been battling injuries all season). I think adding Hlavac to the fold just creates more roster problems..

Old
03-17-2004, 08:10 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
its a waste of salary picking up Hlavac, we already have a glut of wingers why add more just on the hope of some chemistry?

Think about it, Torres, York, Isbister, Moreau, Horcoff, Smyth, Chimera. they can all play LW on that line.

Old
03-17-2004, 08:55 PM
Jim_Harnock

I agree with Rabi and Cerebral -- Hlavac would be a waste of space. We already have more wingers than we have space for and signing one more doesn't make any sense. Even when reunited with Nedved in NY, he didn't do anything, so it makes more sense to put a guy we already have and already know has a scoring touch on the Nedved/Dvorak line. If not Torres, then maybe Chimera. Dvorak seems more than capable of covering for his defensive shortcomings and Chimera proved last year that he can score, given the ice-time to do it. Whether or not he's really going to be a 2nd liner is open to debate (I don't think he will -- solid 3rd liner yes, 2nd no), but the option to try is there. And, of course, we could always try Rita before management gets stupid and trades him.

Old
03-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

I for one absolutely love Torres with Nedved and Dvorak. Great fit imo. Don't mess with it (please)....

Old
03-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
I for one absolutely love Torres with Nedved and Dvorak. Great fit imo. Don't mess with it (please)....
I actually think the looks good together as well.. they play a fairly solid puck control game and all three have the wheels to force some strong transitions. I think Izzy might look good on this line as well but no need to break up a good thing while it's working..

Old
03-18-2004, 11:26 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I actually think the looks good together as well.. they play a fairly solid puck control game and all three have the wheels to force some strong transitions. I think Izzy might look good on this line as well but no need to break up a good thing while it's working..
I agree. Although my expectations were high, Torres doesn't look bad out there with them, and if it ain't broke...

Old
03-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Digger12

Personally I think Torres is a good fit on that line...he's a physical presence that helps get his linemates the puck in the corners, he's not afraid to shoot the puck, and he has enough skill to not be a play-dying anchor. I say keep him there, at least for now.

Having said that, I wouldn't say no to a Nedved/Dvo/Hemsky combo...right handed shots issue aside, there'd be some good skill out there.

Old
03-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

I feel Torres benefits from this line because he is forced to skate and keep his feet moving. Plus, as stated, Raffi brings the sandpaper and grit to complement Nedved and Dvorak's finesse. I find Raffi struggles when he stops skating.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:52 PM
Mizral

Fair enough.

However, it should be said that if Hlavac wasn't working out, you guys could probobly just put him on waivers and I'm sure some other team would take a flyer on him.

Old
03-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Fair enough.

However, it should be said that if Hlavac wasn't working out, you guys could probobly just put him on waivers and I'm sure some other team would take a flyer on him.
That's true.. I just don't see any reason to even take a flyer on him though. We have a ton of depth at the wings already and Hlavac isn't exactly lighting it up this year, even when he was reunited with Nedved. By acquiring Hlavac, we'd likely be forced to lose someone on waivers like Pisani or Chimera. I'd much rather give a roster spot to Salmelainen or even Henrich/Rita than acquire Hlavac. We wouldn't have any room for him on the top two lines anyway with Smyth, Dvorak, Hemsky, Izzy, Torres and possibly York (if he's not playing center next season - he probably will though) fighting for the wing spots. Acquiring Hlavac really makes no sense at all..

Old
03-19-2004, 02:06 AM
EVH

Let's ad lib adjectives for Hlavac's game, shall we? Take your pick of any of the following: soft, defensive liability, inconsistent, old, and overrated.

MacTavish won't play Hemsky right now. It'll be a cold day in hell before he'll play poop like Hlavac.

Closed Thread