HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev/MTL

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2004, 01:51 PM
in the hall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever
Hlavacīs and Devoīs stretches didnīt win us a cup.
i thought we are discussing whether kovalev was a success or failure not whether he won a cup and its not like kovalev was the conn smyth or runner up for that matter.. his name is not synonymous with the rangers winning the cup in 94.. richter, leetch, messier, mattaeu these are guys you think of

Old
03-20-2004, 02:01 PM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
i thought we are discussing whether kovalev was a success or failure not whether he won a cup and its not like kovalev was the conn smyth or runner up for that matter.. his name is not synonymous with the rangers winning the cup in 94.. richter, leetch, messier, mattaeu these are guys you think of

Well it depends on what u see as success and failure, for example I consider Aaron Boone a succes for the Yanks, despite his struggles he did however bring it when our season was about to end.
Players who brings it when it matters can have some failures during the regular season I donīt care just bring it when the stakes are high.

If you think of the 94 playoffs and who stepped up I think of the guys who brought it in game 6 and 7 vs the Devils and Game 7 vs the Nucks.
Against the Isles and Caps in the first two rounds our exit from the playoffs was never in danger.
In game 6 against the Devs for example it very much was so and if it wernīt for Alexei Kovalev,Mark Messier and Mike Richter in game 6 and Richter,Leetch and Matteau in game 7 there might not be a final to speak of.

These players brought it with our backs against the wall and therfore they are a succes. But this is just my opinion of succes tough.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:10 PM
Park #2

Kovalev

I think, in general, it is accurate to say that overall Kovalev was a failure in New York. Sure, he played VERY well in the 1994 playoffs and that helped win NY a cup. He was an important cog on a well built team. Guys like Steve Larmer, Noonan, Matteau, Graves, Zubov, Mac T, Tikkanen, Lowe, Beuk, Nemchinov all played so well during that run.

However, prior to that playoffs - Keenan benched him on numerous occasions throughout the year due to inconsistent play. During his first tenure with the Rangers, he never hit 25 goals. His 2nd Tenure? 90 games, 23 Goals, 32 assists.... Putrid. He had 27 goals in his last 54 games with Pittsburgh. His time in New York, overall - was a major disappointment - whether he won a cup or not.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:16 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
I think, in general, it is accurate to say that overall Kovalev was a failure in New York. Sure, he played VERY well in the 1994 playoffs and that helped win NY a cup. He was an important cog on a well built team. Guys like Steve Larmer, Noonan, Matteau, Graves, Zubov, Mac T, Tikkanen, Lowe, Beuk, Nemchinov all played so well during that run.

However, prior to that playoffs - Keenan benched him on numerous occasions throughout the year due to inconsistent play. During his first tenure with the Rangers, he never hit 25 goals. His 2nd Tenure? 90 games, 23 Goals, 32 assists.... Putrid. He had 27 goals in his last 54 games with Pittsburgh. His time in New York, overall - was a major disappointment - whether he won a cup or not.
everytime i watch my '94 NYR stanley cup video, i notice steve larmer. i swear he must have scored 1/3 of the rangers playoff goals.

Old
03-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shirt
everytime i watch my '94 NYR stanley cup video, i notice steve larmer. i swear he must have scored 1/3 of the rangers playoff goals.
He was such an underrated NHL player, and a key member of that team.

Old
03-20-2004, 05:51 PM
Edge

Both in Chicago and NY he was perhaps one of the most underrated players of his era.

Had he not had {a back injury was it?} he easily could have played into his late 30's.

Old
03-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Both in Chicago and NY he was perhaps one of the most underrated players of his era.

Had he not had {a back injury was it?} he easily could have played into his late 30's.
Yes, he had a bad back problem...... Too bad... Was a good guy too.

Old
03-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Edge

Rather suprised he didnt get into coaching.

He was a hard working guy, a team leader but he wasnt a superstar like others.

I think he'd make a good coach.

Old
03-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Rather suprised he didnt get into coaching.

He was a hard working guy, a team leader but he wasnt a superstar like others.

I think he'd make a good coach.
He's still very involved with the League - as he is over at the NHLPA working with/under Gartner. I wouldn't rule out seeing him return in a coaching/development capacity to an organization, but I've heard he's pretty happy with what he is doing. He coaches young kids in Peterborough where he remains involved in hockey at all levels, helped write book titled "Whose Puck Is It, Anyway? A Season With A Minor Novice Hockey Team" which talks about experiences for kids who grow up playing hockey, etc. Just a good, humble guy.

Closed Thread