HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Returning to hockey - Getting back in shape

Old
04-27-2009, 03:43 PM
JackThunder

vCash: 500
Returning to hockey - Getting back in shape

Hello there, I've been reading the forums for quite while and I have finally decided to ask you guys for some advice.

I'm 19 and I want to get back to hockey. I played for 8 years from 5 to 13 years old. I was fairly good playing AA and Spring AAA in Quebec. Since two years i've started playing hockey at the rink during the winter and I enjoy playing hockey again. Sooo, next year I am attending Université de Montreal and they have a sort of local league with different levels. I would like to get back in shape and attempt to get in the best level.

I don't now a lot about summer and hockey related training. Currently, I'm 6'3'', 180 lbs and increasing. I've been going to the gym since a year. I started jogging three weeks ago and I heard hill climbing is pretty good for hockey.

Do you guys know any tips you could give me to get back in hockey shape? What kind of exercise are good for my speed/agility? I have done some basic plyometrics on some boxes at the gym, but that's about all. What kind of muscle should I work on (both upper and lower body) at the gym?

That's it I tried to give you guys some information on what I need.

Thaanks

(sorry if my english aint that good)

JackThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 09:25 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
Google HIIT. Max out sprints about 30 seconds, and then walk for 30 seconds and repeat. All it takes is about 8 minutes a day in that cycle and it does a lot more than jogging for an extended period of time. Great fat burning method. Try to cut out the junk of your diet.

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 11:04 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

^

The stationary bike is also a great tool. You can use it for both leg endurance as well as HIIT exercises.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2009, 02:10 AM
FelixPotvin

For developing speed work intervals in your cardio. Go max out as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then low intensity for a minute and a half to two minutes. Always keep track and try and beat your previous best.

To build up your endurance, again with the cardio, a great thing to do is a shift approximation interval. Work hard (but not max) for one minute, then take two at low intensity. Do this for 30 minutes (10 sets) if you can.

In the weight room, try and incorporate an exercise ball into as many exercises as you can. You need to blast your core as it's one of the most important muscle groups for sports, especially hockey. Also work some squat variations. You want to hit the muscles you'll use when you're skating. Squats, split squats, step-ups, etc, are all great.

FelixPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote