HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO Game #1 -- Flyers at Penguins -- April 15, 2009 -- Part Two

Old
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The answer I was looking for was 'the man with the puck shot it.' Carle has done well covering odd-man rushes, and yes Kennedy dragged him over, instead of Carle trying to poke it away, but the shooter is the goaltender's responsibility regardless.
that would certainly be too simple

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
We need to play more Flyers hockey. But we need to play SMART Flyers hockey. The refs are going to call anything that looks remotely out of line. Checks need to be finished in upcoming games and people need to pay the price when going into the corners. Simple as that, if we do that we win this series.
It's not that simple.

You know, it's not like the Penguins are a bunch of cream puffs.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:49 PM
medicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Did people expect something other than this tonight?

I thought, perhaps, they would baptize themselves in the locker room and wipe away the sins of the regular season... but, I certainly didn't expect them to do so.

Oh, well.

Friday's a new day.
Nope, chicken blood, rum, and seven little female elves!!!

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
By the way, on Giroux's lack of ice time, maybe Stevens wasn't happy with him or something. He was the only one who was -3.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
It's not that simple.

You know, it's not like the Penguins are a bunch of cream puffs.
I keep reading your avatar as "42% MORE ALBANIANS".

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

The Flyers need to wake up and actually play like it matters. They needa realize just because they are the god damn Philadelphia Flyers it doesnt mean they will win. They need to keep on skating,hitting,and shooting when they have the chance instead of trying to do fancy ****.(pretty much do everything different) They need to earn the respect that the emblem on the front has garnered over the years, its not just given.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:57 PM
medicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hamels View Post
The Flyers need to wake up and actually play like it matters. They needa realize just because they are the god damn Philadelphia Flyers it doesnt mean they will win. They need to keep on skating,hitting,and shooting when they have the chance instead of trying to do fancy ****.(pretty much do everything different) They need to earn the respect that the emblem on the front has garnered over the years, its not just given.
Bravo!!!! This kept driving me nuts all night. They need the "KISS Principle for Dummies".

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
By the way, on Giroux's lack of ice time, maybe Stevens wasn't happy with him or something. He was the only one who was -3.
I think he was just being eased into his first playoff game.

Stevens sounds like his usual dolt self in the post-game. He has no clue how to get this team playing better.

Richards sounds pissed off. I hope he plays like it.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:07 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2035
Quote:
And Richards played over 23 minutes.

"You couldn't get it to look that way in a movie if you took fifty takes," Al Michaels.

"He's a winner, he's a winner, he's a winner. You won the Kentucky Derby."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUGQV3Q5K50
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hamels View Post
skated right in front of the goal until Carle turned his back to the person with the puck, Grade A defense
It would be pretty awesome if Carle could ever play the body effectively. That one play was just ridiculous though. I understand denying the pass, but there comes a point where you cannot allow the guy to skate right in on the goalie.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
A better start is mandatory in game 2. No doubt about it. We lose game 2 and its all but done. Not sure if we can beat them 4 out of 5.
Everyone better come ready to go friday night.
Its time to stop making excuses and feeling bad about yourself. Just go out and play a good game on Friday and hopefully the Flyers can get some bounces and get this SOB tied up.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I think he was just being eased into his first playoff game.

Stevens sounds like his usual dolt self in the post-game. He has no clue how to get this team playing better.

Richards sounds pissed off. I hope he plays like it.
That's what I like to call FU Hockey, which was branded such solely by the way Richards takes over games. I anxiously await seeing it anytime, but right now in particular.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:42 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
yeah, i'm hoping richards comes out with a snarl on friday. carter and giroux got shafted in terms of ice-time. the team played like crap, and stevens benches his best weapons.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 11:49 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I dunno.

I will always love this team, but this group of guys is an embarrassment.

I've been a vocal critic of Stevens, but at some point, it goes beyond the coaching. The Pens were the ones hustling. The Pens were the ones playing physical. The Pens were the ones finishing their checks. The Pens were the ones who looked motivated.

These guys didn't appear to take the game any differently than one of the 82 regular season games and it shows on the scoreboard.

Focus. Where is it? Intensity. Where is it? Competitiveness. Where is it?

The Pens asserted their game on the Flyers tonight. Don't get excited about how we "shut them down" in the 2nd period. The Pens got a 2 goal lead and shut us down. Outside of the Powe chance on the 1st shift, we didn't generate a single chance until the last shift of the period.

The Pens asserted their will on us and they dominated us.

I'm angry at this team. The coach is a joke, we all know that. But these guys should at least be playing for pride. I am sick of the stupid, selfish penalties that Hartnell constantly takes that hurt the team in key situations.

I am sick of the total lack of work ethic on this team.

15 teams in the NHL realize that these games are playoff games.

The Flyers don't.

EDIT: And btw, Hartnell defending his penalties and guys talking about "lucky bounces" is just ridiculous and shows how out of touch this team really is.

Last edited by FlyHigh: 04-16-2009 at 12:00 AM.
FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

I hearya Flyhigh. I didnt feel like quoting that whole post but its spot on.
I dont want to hear anymore ******* talk about how we need to play better, we need to do this, we need to that out of the players on this team.
****ING enough. shut up and go out and play. You want to act pissed off? fine, do it on the ice. not in the lockerroom.
This team has been playing like ass since the beginning of March. Are there players on this team still pouting over Upshall getting traded? jesus I Hope not. get the **** over it already.
I am getting sick and tired of coming out for games unprepared and not ready to play.
getting out hit and out worked by far by Pittsburgh? unacceptable.
I can "deal" with losing. But to lose in playing uninspired hockey? unacceptable.

Old
04-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Terence Peterman

FlyHigh, I agree with what you're saying and all, but I don't like to put this on the players too much. If they had someone they'd fear walking into a locker room with after a bad game I don't think you'd see half of the half-assing-it out there that we do. Yeah, they're professionals, yeah, they're extremely talented, yeah, they're get paid pretty well.

But it's still tough to be motivated all the time, especially when your pretty good at what you do, on good terms with your boss, and know (whether it be conscious or subconscious, in this case) that you can't really get in trouble if you slack a little.

That's kinda how I am at my job. I'm damn good, and I bust my ass, but there's certain things I constantly let slide or do unless I know someone's watching me. And I do it because I'm on good terms with my bosses and know I can afford to slack in some areas. I enjoy going into work too, but, generally, I know things are going to be very regular at best. I need something completely external to really get me going, and I think that's the case with the team right now.

I'm by no means saying to give them a break and trying to stuff the thought that they always work hard down your throat. I really do completely agree with the things you said. I just feel differently about the "Why" that's behind the "What."

Old
04-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Terence Peterman

I don't think it's so much losing Upshall that's effected the guys as much as maybe it's Carcillo joining them. It's probably just my bias shining through but I feel like he contributes absolutely nothing at any point, ever. He's just kinda there, and if anything is leeching away some of the good.

Sorry, I'll try to keep the anger over that trade caged.

Old
04-16-2009, 12:09 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
@ Sonny, I can certainly understand that argument during the regular season, but not for the playoffs.

This is what they play for all year, it's the 1st game of the ultimate season and it's against their greatest rivals.

I blame Stevens for the constant tactical mistakes and to the lack of motivation for some extent. But those guys were getting physically dominated out there and they weren't doing a thing about it.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:14 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I'm not pleased with what I've seen from the post-game comments.

The players need to take responsibility for their lackluster effort. You prepare several months for an eight week window to win the trophy every kid dreamed about lifting. If there's one game where you shouldn't put forth the effort the Flyers did tonight, it's Game 1 of the playoffs.

Tonight played like a broken record from the regular season: early penalties, early goals allowed, horrible short passes, revolving door of turnover machines, no sustained pressure. This is all on the players. I give Stevens credit for switching the lines when it looked like no one wanted to play; it resulted in a few good shifts in the second half of the game (too little, too late, I know).

Richards hit iron three times, so I can see how they're upset about the bounces.... but you create your own luck. More often than not, a Flyers rush resulted in a shot from 45 feet that Fleury deflected to the corner for a counter attack. Philly's not winning the series with that strategy.

This game did not instill confidence in me; however, they still have a chance to split on the road. A win on Friday will go a long way to getting this quest for the Cup on track. Just ****ing show up, please!

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:16 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
@ Sonny, I can certainly understand that argument during the regular season, but not for the playoffs.

This is what they play for all year, it's the 1st game of the ultimate season and it's against their greatest rivals.

I blame Stevens for the constant tactical mistakes and to the lack of motivation for some extent. But those guys were getting physically dominated out there and they weren't doing a thing about it.
Well, if they aren't being reprimanded during the regular season, what makes the post season any more than a chore; an extra curricular activity that's more than they technically have to? I get what you're saying for sure, but when they aren't being held accountable for the regular season I think they very well may have settled into one of those grooves (that we've all experienced) where they've just grown complacent.

The games they do play well just happen to be a bright spot, a good day for whatever reason(s). Again, I don't offer these as excuses for the players, but I feel like this very well may be the case.

Old
04-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
That's what I like to call FU Hockey, which was branded such solely by the way Richards takes over games. I anxiously await seeing it anytime, but right now in particular.
If anyone is going to take over the game, it is going to be Carter.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:23 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Terrible. I didn't pay attention once they had 3 goals on us.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2009, 12:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
But those guys were getting physically dominated out there and they weren't doing a thing about it.
until the last 30 seconds when they acted stupid.

Old
04-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Well, if they aren't being reprimanded during the regular season, what makes the post season any more than a chore; an extra curricular activity that's more than they technically have to? I get what you're saying for sure, but when they aren't being held accountable for the regular season I think they very well may have settled into one of those grooves (that we've all experienced) where they've just grown complacent.

The games they do play well just happen to be a bright spot, a good day for whatever reason(s). Again, I don't offer these as excuses for the players, but I feel like this very well may be the case.
I just wanted to add onto this...I'm a huge proponent of self-accountability. But sometimes you need a swift kick to the balls to get yourself started, and far fewer people are capable of delivering this to themselves than those who can. I don't think Stevens has picked his feet up off the ground to even come close to doing this to anyone, unless you're talking about his relationship in bed with Jones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrain View Post
If anyone is going to take over the game, it is going to be Carter.
Carter might take over a game but by no means is it FU Hockey. Surely you know what I mean when I say that.

Old
04-16-2009, 12:38 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Wouldn't it be stupid if they were trying to get Stevens fired in the post season?

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote