HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Smaller Promotions Discussion (MFC, Dream, Sengoku, Invicta, ect)

Old
01-03-2010, 02:23 AM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
What an event. It's depressing that this event, free on HDNet, doesn't get anywhere close to the viewers that the UFC 108 PPV pulls in (I'm assuming, at least).

kurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:49 AM
LiquidClown

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
What an event. It's depressing that this event, free on HDNet, doesn't get anywhere close to the viewers that the UFC 108 PPV pulls in (I'm assuming, at least).
Seriously right, seven and a half hours? Holy *** something batman....a true New Years event.....really makes me think about how great a PRIDE vs UFC New Year's Eve event would have been geeeeeeeez.

SERIOUSLY F ' N is a banned phrase? WOW

Last edited by LiquidClown: 01-03-2010 at 03:55 AM.
LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:53 AM
LiquidClown

One thing I forgot to mention, I'm sorry and I'm not usually one to assume but I just can't believe that Overeem isn't juicing. He was even bigger than he was a few weeks ago in his K-1 fight and was mentioned by the commentators as well. He's also really starting to piss me off saying he wants to fight Fedor....For the past three months he's said he wants Fedor 5 months out, now don't get me wrong I don't think he's dodging Fedor but it's just infuriating he now says May/June timeframe.....hmmm he must not have gotten the note that Fedor is scheduled for an April fight.........UGH so frustrating, stupid Overeem and stupid M-1!

Old
01-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I finally got completely caught up with the card this weekend. Man oh man...7 1/2 hours, and the DVR still cut off the last half of the final fight.

Going into the night, I thought the card was particularly weak compared to previous NYE shows, but I found myself thoroughly entertained almost throughout.

Where does Sokoudjou go from here? Is he going to slowly become one of those fighters that eke's out a career in Japan taking on cans and fighting in freak show matches? His credibility as a fighter is about as low as you can get. Amazing that he was the hottest prospect in a deep 205 division only a few years ago. Enter the cliche about having the tools but no toolbox.

Regarding the Sengoku/Dream matchups, despite some notable size disadvantages, I was somewhat surprised that Sengoku was able to close the gap so much. I thought there was a huge talent disparity, but I think Guy Mezger got it right--Dream just has the better marketing.

Omigawa continues to roll. We saw Takaya take a ton of punishment in the Featherweight tournament but keep on ticking, and Omigawa was able to score the finish.

I was extremely impressed with Gono. After losing three straight, the last of which was a brutal knockout, he seems to have rebounded just fine. Finishing an always tough Sakurai is nothing to downplay.

Wow. Jong Man Kim put on the performance of the night. He basically survived on heart alone, and even scored a good shot on a top tier Tokoro. I watched the fights with a friend in the army, and he noted how tough the guys who come from the "ROK" army are...so I guess it's not too much of a surprise that Jong was so game. He'll definitely find himself getting calls in the future from the organizations.

Another dominating performance by Kawajiri. I think he's still keeping himself pumped for the eventual bout with Aoki.

While Kanehara's size definitely helped him win the bout with Kid, Yamamoto really needs to take some time off to evaluate where he wants to be. I was talking with a friend last night about how three years ago Yamamoto and Urijah Faber were far and away the best featherweights in the world, and that only a bout between the two of them was relevent in the division. Boy has the landscape changed.

Overeem/Mousassi squashed their gatekeeper cans, just like they were supposed to. At least they're keeping fresh. As far as Overeem/Fedor goes, I'm growing a bit worried that Overeem's stature in Japan continues to grow. He's far and away their most popular heavyweight at the moment, and there's definitely a lot more money to be made for him--even if it means fighting 80% of his fights against guys who have no business being in the ring with him. Legacy is one thing, but it's all about dollar bills to some, especially if there's any doubt about getting licensed by a regulatory body.

What a performance by Aoki. He and Lesnar are neck and neck for best villain in MMA. I'd probably edge towards Aoki at being better since he's got a better repertoire and the fans in Japan are a lot more rapid about the sport. I mean, on one hand, the fight and the antics were completely unnecessary, and he's definitely a huge a-hole, on the other hand, it was all somewhat amusing. As an aside, what an idiot Hirota is. Good luck in your rehab efforts over the next half year. That kind of break could potentially derail a career.

Masato/Souwer provided the storybook ending on a career. It was a close technical fight that was enjoyable, but I think at this point, fatigue/ADHD set in on me and I was somewhat in a daze.

Oh, and lastly, the judokas involved put on the most pedestrian fights of the night. At least when Izumi fought last time, he was on the receiving end of a brutal KO.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
I was extremely impressed with Gono. After losing three straight, the last of which was a brutal knockout, he seems to have rebounded just fine. Finishing an always tough Sakurai is nothing to downplay.
Count me impressed also. I really thought Mach would dominate Gono for a decision win. The absolute last thing I thought would happen would be to see Gono pull off a slick armbar like that, it really happened in the blink of an eye.

Quote:
What a performance by Aoki. He and Lesnar are neck and neck for best villain in MMA. I'd probably edge towards Aoki at being better since he's got a better repertoire and the fans in Japan are a lot more rapid about the sport. I mean, on one hand, the fight and the antics were completely unnecessary, and he's definitely a huge a-hole, on the other hand, it was all somewhat amusing.
I think Aoki takes it also! Nothing beats a villain running around it a pair of tights usually only worn at pride parades. I have a hard time being real critical of Aoki acting like a do uche, it's japan, it's all about the show. The fans will eat it up and thats' all that matters.

Whats up next for Aoki? Fight Kawajiri in Dream or a fight with Melendez in Strikeforce? I'd love to see either.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
LiquidClown

If I could find a copy of those for pajama pants (sponsors and all) I would totally wear those out everywhere.

Old
01-04-2010, 11:31 AM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
The shorts over the pants, with his weird personality, makes me think it's some sort of "I'm coming to America" sign. So I could definitely see him in strikeforce by the end of the year.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
The shorts over the pants, with his weird personality, makes me think it's some sort of "I'm coming to America" sign. So I could definitely see him in strikeforce by the end of the year.
I think it's already been confirmed that he'll be fighting @ a strikeforce event in the near future, we'll see more and more Dream fighters crossing over for matches in strikeforce.

As far as the pants/shorts go, I thought the exact same thing the first time I saw him sport them (might've been against hellboy), he's definately preparing himself for the N/A rules.

Old
01-04-2010, 02:26 PM
LiquidClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I think it's already been confirmed that he'll be fighting @ a strikeforce event in the near future, we'll see more and more Dream fighters crossing over for matches in strikeforce.

As far as the pants/shorts go, I thought the exact same thing the first time I saw him sport them (might've been against hellboy), he's definately preparing himself for the N/A rules.
From what I've been reading he'll be able to wear the tights under his shorts as long as they don't go past his knees. I'd love to see him mess Melendez up, and I'll take my whipping if need be but I don't see Kawajiri being that big of a threat to be honest. That being said as huge of a fan I am of Aoki, there's no way he's ready for Penn. Penn doesn't let the fight go to the ground in any way shape or form and if Sherk/Diego couldn't take him down then unless Aoki throws a flying triangle or something I don't see it happening and his stand up game is still somewhat suspect. To beat Penn it's going to take someone (like Joe Rogan said) that has world class boxing.......and wrestling.............and jiu-jitsu.

I'll see if I can make a gif out of it but Kim's answer for the armbar was great, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that applied before, anyone know if there's a term for that technique?

Old
01-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
If Aoki tried to stand with Melendez at all he'd be done.

I'm guessing his knees are going to be taped like crazy over here, no way he goes from having all that grip to nothing.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Though it's still his weak link, Aoki's standup looked pretty good against Shaolin earlier this year.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
habsfans333*

Actually I want to see Aoki vs Penn.

Unfortunately Aoki would probably get destroyed by Penn superior strenght and striking game.

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
LiquidClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Though it's still his weak link, Aoki's standup looked pretty good against Shaolin earlier this year.
Yeah I meant against Penn that's all. If I ever became really rich, I'd go to Japan have Aoki behind me in a suit and dark sunglasses and I'd pick fights with people just to see Aoki beat them up.

Old
01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
DaaaaB's

Great card based on the fights I've seen so far. The ones I've yet to see are all the K-1 fights, Ishii/Yoshida and the Izumi fight and it sounds like the latter two aren't worth watching. Are any of the K-1 fights very good?

Nice to hear Masato got his win over Souwer. Great way to end his career. Not much left to say about Soko. He's a bust. I'm pumped that Melvin won but I agree that it was a bit of an early stoppage. Nice win by Aoki but now I hate him more then ever. Hopefully, Kawajiri pounds him good. Overreem and Mousasi looked good crushing cans again. Like others have said, Kid needs to take sometime to see where his heads at. He looks nothing like the dominant fighter from 2005-2007.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Captain_Cunney

I think that, as Schivallo may have mentioned, the Misaki stoppage (while early) probably had alot to do with the fact that it was Melvin who was throwing the punches. I don't have a huge problem with it, a few extra punches from Melvin could be the difference between fighting next month and fighting next year.

Poor old Soko, I thought he was gonna be a real title contender, boy oh boy was I wrong. I dont' know if anyone has fell as quick as he has. I did think his stoppage was premature also, he looked very alert when he hit the ropes and it isn't like Mino has crazy punching power...

Old
01-05-2010, 09:55 AM
LiquidClown

Another amazing Minowaman video...........The Return of the Minowaman...........suhweet.

Old
01-13-2010, 01:40 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

K-1 uploaded a couple of pretty sweet highlights to their youtube channel this week, tons of KO's from old fights. Pretty awesome for people like me who just got into the sport recently, it's kinda surreal seeing Peter Aerts as a skinny kid fighting 15 years ago.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Has Dana ever tried to sign Aoki? Penn needs competition for the title and Aoki is the biggest threat imo.

Last edited by Maxpac: 02-18-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quiet first couple of months in Japan, but both Sengoku and DREAM have cards coming up in March.

http://nightmareofbattle.com/?p=848

Quote:
SRC12
Date: March 7th, 2010
Place: Ryogoku Kokugikan in Tokyo, Japan

SRC Middleweight Title Fight (5×5 mins):
Jorge Santiago vs. Mamed Khalidov

Single Fights (3×5 mins):
HW: Yoshihiro “KISS” Nakao vs. Sentoryu
WW: Akihiro Gono vs. Diego Gonzalez
LW: Maxi vs. Armbar Kim
LW: Kiuma Kunioku vs. Leonardo Santos
FW: Yuji Hoshino vs. Nick Denis
FW: Marlon Sandro vs. Tomonari Kanomata
FW: Shigeki Osawa vs. Kyung Ho Kang
Not a very inspiring card here. Khalidov vs Santiago II could be good if Santiago can avoid getting KO'd quickly again. Most of the other fights involve at least one guy I don't know or don't care about. Maxi is usually fun to watch fight I guess.

http://nightmareofbattle.com/?p=876

Quote:
DREAM.13
Date: March 22nd, 2010
Place: Yokohama Arena in Yokohama, Japan

DREAM Featherweight Title Fight:
Bibiano Fernandes vs. Joachim Hansen

Fights:
LW: Katsunori Kikuno vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka
LW: KJ Noons vs. Andre Dida
WW: Ryo Chonan vs. Andrews Nakahara
OW: Minowaman vs. Jimmy Ambriz
Not complete yet obviously, but this card looks way better. Fernandes/Hansen should be really good, Minowaman vs Jimmy Ambriz is hilarious, Dida will try to take Noons' head off, plus a couple of interesting prospects in Kikuno and Nakahara.

Old
02-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Captain_Cunney

I can't wait to see Hellboy at 145.

I'm not tht interested in the Sengoku card, which seems to happen 50% of the time. I'm getting to the point that I'd like to see the 2 sides come together, more so Dream swallow Sengoku up.

Old
02-25-2010, 02:42 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Minowaman!!!!!!!!!!!

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Captain_Cunney

Posted this in the announcements thread but I thought I'd put it here also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoki
"I appreciate the offer of a title match - I am genuinely happy. Having always claimed that Japan is at the top of the MMA world, I have no choice (but to go compete in the US). I will just step right in and walk right out with submission victory and prove that the DREAM champion is the number one in the world. I will restore the glory of Pride's heyday to DREAM. I will greet you all with a belt next time. (Gilbert Melendez) is the Strikeforce champion and therefore a world class fighter. I consider myself a top fighter in the world, so he is a very attractive opponent. I think our fight will leave both Japanese and American fans fully sated. Though Strikeforce rule allows elbow strike on the feet, it is not a radical change (from Pride and DREAM rules). I will be fighting in a cage (for the first time) but I watch a lot of fights that take place in the cage and my level of geekery in the realm is peerless among Japanese fighters. Besides, my skillset trancends the ring/cage barrier, and I always have my eyes on the world. Yes, I will have to take off my tights. I think the prospect of being able to see my bare legs is attractive, so I want the fans to come all the way to the US for it."

Old
03-07-2010, 12:14 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Sengoku featherweight tournament participant Chang Sung Jung (The Korean Zombie) has apparently signed with the WEC

Not sure how well he's going to do since his style seems to be basically "walk forward and brawl" (hence the nickname) but he's got a sick chin and decent grappling so he should have some fun fights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWnWFY-7gS8#t=2m30s

Also I haven't seen any of the Sengoku fights from last night but it sounds like there were a few good ones. It's going to be on HDNet next Friday I think.

Old
03-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
I'm stoked that the WEC picked him up. He'll be fine. His chin is ELITE and he has some amazing sprawls. One of the more exciting guys around, that's for sure.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2010, 09:31 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Reminder that Sengoku 12 is on HDNet tonight at 10ET/7PT. Both Maxi/Kim and Sandro/Kanomata are worth watching, and the first fight (Osawa/Kang) was pretty entertaining. Haven't watched the title fight yet or Gono's so I'm not sure how good they were.

DREAM announced that Barnett is going to fight on the March 22 card. No opponent confirmed yet, though the early rumour is that it'll be Mighty Mo which is kind of crappy. They also announced a bantamweight fight between former WECer's Cole Escovedo and Yoshihiro Maeda.

Finally you may have heard that Yoshida is retiring, so his management is putting together a special card called ASTRA on April 25th. No word on Yoshida's opponent yet but they have announced some other minor fights.

http://nightmareofbattle.com/?p=1056
Quote:
Hidehiko Yoshida Farewell Fight ~ASTRA~
Date: April 25th, 2010
Place: Nippon Budokan in Tokyo, Japan

Welterweight Fight:
Yuya Shirai vs. Che Mills

Featherweight Fights:
Michihiro Omigawa vs. Micah Miller
Tatsunao Nagakura vs. Akihiko Mouri

Participants:
Hidehiko Yoshida, Makoto Takimoto, Kazuhiro Nakamura, Denis Kang
I like Yoshida quite a bit, one of the first PRIDE matches I ever saw was his 2003 tournament fight against Wanderlei. Was never really a top contender and his recent fights have been kinda painful (losing to James Thompson, ugh) but it's cool that he's getting a royal send-off over there.