HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wild were looking for permission to speak to Dave Nonis. Leafs Decline permission.

Old
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Nonis and Burke really do have a Randy and Lahey type relationship, don't they?
LOL nice Trailer Park observation

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 12:22 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Do you honestly believe this to be the case?
I'll leave it back at my "sounds silly" to put it mildly opinion of earlier.
When did I say that's what I believe? I was simply clarifying someone elses statement.

I believe that Nonis is not GM material.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 12:34 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
When did I say that's what I believe?
Well you quoted my post with these opening sentences.

"I think it's more that Nonis and Burke have been discussing who to target for UFAs and trades. If Nonis becomes GM, then Nonis and Burke would probably be targeting the same players".

Wouldn't you say it was a logical conclusion to reach based on your words?

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:37 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Well you quoted my post with these opening sentences.

"I think it's more that Nonis and Burke have been discussing who to target for UFAs and trades. If Nonis becomes GM, then Nonis and Burke would probably be targeting the same players".

Wouldn't you say it was a logical conclusion to reach based on your words?
No. I was writing about what I thought the poster was saying.

You wrote:

"No offence but that sounds rather silly.
Do they assume there isn't sufficient integrity in Nonis to accept his word that he would opt not to divulge that information? If so, are they not extremely worried about Burke's gross misinterpretation of Nonis character, especially after working so closely together for many years. A misjudgement of that magnitude would be alarming to put it mildly."

The poster was not talking about Nonis' integrity or character.. I was just trying to explain that he meant they had been working together to develop a strategy for the off-season, so they would most likely target the same players. It could be that Nonis told Burke of some players he should be going after (ex. Hanson from Canucks), Burke agrees, and he doesn't want Nonis to get them first.

I really have no idea. But it has nothing to do with character, just business.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:26 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
No. I was writing about what I thought the poster was saying.
Well, when you start a post with "i think" you can expect others to think you mean you think, i think.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 06:17 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
As said on Leaf Board, no reason to allow Nonis to talk to others while he knows all of Burkes plans for draft/UFA. Maybe after Toronto is satisfied, but Nonis knows too much (as conspiracy-theoryish as that sounds).
So what?

Don Maloney moved from the Rangers to Phoenix,Ray Shero moved from Nashville to Pittsburgh and every new GM came from another team with knowledge of his former team's plans.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Nonis has a shotty record as gm, but is a great assistant gm where he is in charge of all contract negotiations and little else.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Killer Sharkz

vCash: 515
I am suprised by this move by the Leafs...I heard/understood that there was a gentlemens agreement/unwritten rule among teams that if another team asked for permission to speak with someone on their team and it was a move upwards, that the permission would be granted...if it was just a lateral move it would not be given. So if a team wants to talk to Ron Wilson for example to be their coach, permission would not be granted...but if it was for a GM position, permission would be granted.

Killer Sharkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 11:37 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

It's disappointing in the first place that Minnesota would be interested in Nonis. I thought they wanted to improve..?

Next thing you know they'll call Jay Feaster.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:52 AM
Anomandaris

Everybody should know by now that Nonis would only go to Minny if 'lil Burkie went there first. Seriously what's with Nonis following Burke like a lost puppy? It's kind of sad and more than a little creepy.

Anomandaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
This was a good thing for the Wild.

Why not Jay Feaster?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:19 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Sharkz View Post
I am suprised by this move by the Leafs...I heard/understood that there was a gentlemens agreement/unwritten rule among teams that if another team asked for permission to speak with someone on their team and it was a move upwards, that the permission would be granted...if it was just a lateral move it would not be given. So if a team wants to talk to Ron Wilson for example to be their coach, permission would not be granted...but if it was for a GM position, permission would be granted.
Detroit refused both the Wild (recently) and Leafs (before Burke) from talking to Jim Nill . Florida refused the Leafs the right from talking to Joe Nieuwendyk a couple of years ago. I think it really is a case by case situation. From what I have heard about Burke if Nonis really wanted to leave then Burke would have allowed it.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Bullrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Detroit refused both the Wild (recently) and Leafs (before Burke) from talking to Jim Nill . Florida refused the Leafs the right from talking to Joe Nieuwendyk a couple of years ago. I think it really is a case by case situation. From what I have heard about Burke if Nonis really wanted to leave then Burke would have allowed it.
where did you hear that the wings refused minny? im interested in reading about it...

Bullrun is offline   Reply With Quote