HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mediocre first round drafting - the reason for our mediocrity?

Old
04-19-2009, 10:56 PM
Boulette Cannon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Yes, draft more sub-6' forwards, because we certainly need more of those. Fischer is still in college, he isn't exactly washed up just yet. And the way our D is playing, I fail to see how having a few D prospects coudl hurt us.
Sorry, but for me, its still hard to digest. I saw Giroux play alot in Gatineau. This guy has terrific work ethic, superior hockey sense, tremendous vision, soft hands and leadership.

Now, I'm not saying Fischer isn't good (never saw him play), but if the strategy truly is to draft the BPA, I'm pretty sure Giroux would've been drafted instead of Fischer.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Our drafting has been pretty decent actually.

Problem is that we just don't draft high enough.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:01 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGGINS! View Post
Sorry, but for me, its still hard to digest. I saw Giroux play alot in Gatineau. This guy has terrific work ethic, superior hockey sense, tremendous vision, soft hands and leadership.

Now, I'm not saying Fischer isn't good (never saw him play), but if the strategy truly is to draft the BPA, I'm pretty sure Giroux would've been drafted instead of Fischer.
Well... how would you know if you've only seen one of the two?

But that's besides the point since Timmins has been known to say he went with needs in '06 rather than the best player available, and I guess he figured (rightly so, if he had a crystal ball looking two years ahead) that we needed more depth at D.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Well... how would you know if you've only seen one of the two?

But that's besides the point since Timmins has been known to say he went with needs in '06 rather than the best player available, and I guess he figured (rightly so, if he had a crystal ball looking two years ahead) that we needed more depth at D.
Have you seen both play (juniors/college)?

If Fischer is indeed as good of a hockey player as Giroux, then we're in for a treat, but I'm afraid this isn't the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:16 PM
Count of DannyKristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
We don't draft high enough.
St. Louis was able to draft Berglund, Oshie and Perron with picks in the 20's.

Count of DannyKristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Count of DannyKristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep View Post
Greg Nemisz was taken 25th overall (RW - power forward). Tyler Ennis was taken next.
I believe the rumour was that the Habs were going to take Nicolas Deschamps if they kept the pick - who didn't have a good season in the Q.

Old
04-19-2009, 11:26 PM
timbitca

Quote:
Have you seen both play (juniors/college)?

If Fischer is indeed as good of a hockey player as Giroux, then we're in for a treat, but I'm afraid this isn't the case. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
No, no I haven't. I'm just pointing out that Giroux is something we have tons of and don't need right now (a small forward) while Fischer represents something we desperately need at this point (HELP!!!!!!! on the D).

Needs and wants aren't always equal.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Count of DannyKristo

Quote:
Yes, draft more sub-6' forwards, because we certainly need more of those. Fischer is still in college, he isn't exactly washed up just yet. And the way our D is playing, I fail to see how having a few D prospects coudl hurt us.
Yes we do need more of those sub 6 foot forwards, ones that actually have the talent to make a difference like Giroux. Come on people, Fischer hasn't progressed at all. It was a botched pick plain and simple. Those are the types of guys you take a flyer on in the 3rd round and hope they develop. Maybe he can still make it as a 3rd pairing guy but that's not what you should gun for with a first rounder.

Old
04-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
Maybe they can sign Martin Havlat after this season?
That would be a pretty good pickup as long as he signs for something reasonable. Problem is that he has trouble staying healthy.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

I think it would be fun to take a look at the draft preview of the past few draft to see if we've really made some bad picks.

For example, we would find out that Getzlaf had some knocks on his game. He wasn't a good skater and he was somewhat lazy, despite his big body.

I'm saying this because many poster are just saying that we should have draft him because at the time, they knew he was going to be that dominant. He wasn't perfect when he was drafted...and why did he went 19th overall? Shouldn't he have been a top 5 selection?

The same thing could be said about many players...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 12:10 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I think it would be fun to take a look at the draft preview of the past few draft to see if we've really made some bad picks.

For example, we would find out that Getzlaf had some knocks on his game. He wasn't a good skater and he was somewhat lazy, despite his big body.

I'm saying this because many poster are just saying that we should have draft him because at the time, they knew he was going to be that dominant. He wasn't perfect when he was drafted...and why did he went 19th overall? Shouldn't he have been a top 5 selection?

The same thing could be said about many players...
Agreed, and we could look at the context of the team who selected the players too... just have to look at the last two draft, Kane aside, none of the players selected are on good teams, Phoenix, LA, NYI and so forth... sure they're going to graduate before Wings, Devils or Sharks picks cause theses simply have no room for them yet on theses teams...

so yeah! sure! Perron looks nice being in the NHL already... but try to picture Perron selected by the Wings, Flyers, Sharks and a few others... where will he be now ? NHL or AHL ? we all know the awnser...

Bergeron, yeah! AT THAT TIME, even the B's thought so highly of him they selected superstar Mark Stuart in the 1st round... although they don't play the same position, if you had to choose now, wich one would you pick first ?

I mean, Van Riemsdyk have yet to play a game in the NHL, anyone wants to bet Perron will end up having a better career than him ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2009, 08:42 AM
HABSwannawin

Quote:

Yesterday at 110% they tried to figure out if the CH was quebecer favoritism when drafting and the line up was more interresting than what we have. There was Perron, Giroux, Bergeron and Pomminville. Not bad. Better than Fisher, Urquhart and others that never played a single game in NHL.

The problem with players coming so far away is that they don't care at all about the history of the CH : Maurice Richard, Jean Béliveau, all these great men, it means nothing for them, they don't care. They go back in summer in Bielorussia or Theck Repub with their family, playing golf. They come here having some fun, having a playboy life of night fun in bars, we can point at the CH not watching them enough or not having a core of leaders to take care of the youngs.

I always prefer having the core of the CH being quebecers, anglo-canadians and americans. I don't mind having a few europeans but they have to be complementary players, not expecting they would be the leaders and they must be drafted because they have really superior skills.

Right now the CH is very far from being a playoffs team like what I see from Ducks and Sharks.
They drafted the right stuff, Habs did not.

If they lose tonight, I hope and I ask to :
OUT : Gainey, Gauthier, Timmins, Jarvis, Muller and Boivin.
Also I would like the owner Gillett to sell.
Time to rebuilt. ...again but it have to be done, and well done this time.

HABSwannawin is offline   Reply With Quote