HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQ 2|Thank You Sir, May I Have Another|Philadelphia Flyers @ Pittsburgh Penguins|7PM

Old
04-18-2009, 06:25 PM
ZapRowsdower13
Ticklish Tummy Tumx2

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ZapRowsdower13
I enjoy talking to people about the stick slashing incident. Everyone so far as said to me, here near Philly, that it was a bogus call. But once you point out that the puck was no where near Kunitz they back off and say they hate the rule of a stick breaking because of contact is an automatic slashing. Silly exploding sticks!

Last edited by DJ Spinoza: 04-18-2009 at 07:20 PM.
ZapRowsdower13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 07:18 PM
DJ Spinoza

This is the last warning about referencing moderator actions on the board. Use the PM function if you have an issue.

DJ Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 07:48 PM
PenguinGuru*

http://flyers.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hl=true

fast forward to about 4:10 and listen to the whiny reported as he wrings out a few tears from Stevens. Apparently, the great city of Philadelphia thinks that the Penguins address the refs too much and that the mean old refs wont listen to their players when THEY want to address the refs.

It's like Bettman always says, "Silly Flyers, refs are for Sid!"

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:11 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Nice analysis, gkj. I think mistakes were made along the way this season, for sure. Personally, I am not a Matt Carle fan. I understand that the Flyers felt they needed more puck movement but I think they could have gone after someone a little more defensive minded. It was a good deal they made with TBay, but in this era just looking at the players involved in trades is only seeing one side of the equation. Then there's the cap to consider.

I think a right-handed defenseman who stays at home more would have been better for Philly than Carle. Alberts-Jones as a third pairing is a problem. IF the Flyers don't come back in this series, it's going to be very interesting to see what they do with their cap situation.
Well, they did get Jones and paraded him and his 31 points around as someone who was a top 4 defenseman, when it was beyond clear to all of us he wasn't.

Matt Carle was one of those guys who Holmgren said 'we've been looking at him for a while'.

Carcillo, sort of like when we traded for Denis Gauthier, get told 'how much we're going to love him' and 'we've really liked this guy for a while.' The interesting thing is that when we trade for someone, it's someone we've always wanted. Yet, we're always having to trade for them instead of drafting them ourselves.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:16 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialthrila13 View Post
I enjoy talking to people about the stick slashing incident. Everyone so far as said to me, here near Philly, that it was a bogus call. But once you point out that the puck was no where near Kunitz they back off and say they hate the rule of a stick breaking because of contact is an automatic slashing. Silly exploding sticks!
Ironically it's always a "bogus call" or a "stupid rule" when your team is the one being penalized for it. Reverse the situation and Flyers fans would've been praising the solid officiating all the way till game 3.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Jessiah

It's never going to happen when both teams are happy with the officiating.

Let's face it, someone wins and someone loses. Flyers had 4 power plays and we had 5 if I'm correct so it's not like the officiating was completely lopsided. It sucks when you feel like your team gets ripped off due to officiating, I feel the same way when it happens to us.

It's just ridiculous that they're legitimately saying that the refs are for us and against them.

Jessiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:50 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiah View Post

Let's face it, someone wins and someone loses. Flyers had 4 power plays and we had 5 if I'm correct so it's not like the officiating was completely lopsided. It sucks when you feel like your team gets ripped off due to officiating, I feel the same way when it happens to us.

It's just ridiculous that they're legitimately saying that the refs are for us and against them.

You learn to get used to it. Sometimes you have to be reasonable enough to point the finger at your own team for their failures once in a while. Debatable calls are always gonna happen in this game. It's a fast-paced, aggressive game, and in the end the refs are just HUMAN, thus they may make calls which can be disputable.

This is what makes you a contender though. A team that is able to bite the bullet with penalty calls, suck it up, and continue to go out there and try to win regardless of the penalties that they've been assessed are the ones that will typically go the distance.

There's no point in huffing and puffing about calls, because no matter how much you try to argue against them, it's not gonna make the refs change their minds. Suck it up and MOVE ON is what I say.

Old
04-18-2009, 09:54 PM
no1b4me

Good evening gents,
For some of Us hockey fans that have been watching hockey for a long time (1970 for me) We think it's a silly rule to increase scoring in this new NHL. Don Cherry echoed the thoughts toninght on Coaches Corner. These day with the composite sticks they are making all you have to do is lean on the stick and it will break. He had a great point "It's a stick, not a player. It's not like he took an axe to the guy". Back in the '70's the ref would have been laughed off the ice if he tried to to give a player a penalty for breaking a piece of wood. In those days teams had to earn a powerplay. And as I said before I'm a huge fan of 5 on 5 hockey and would rather see no powerplays for either team.
It's also not an automatic call, like the puck over the glass rule. It's up to the discretion of the ref. But most of the time it is called.

The rules are made by the NHL brass/owners and with the input from a commitee of players.
Fans have to live with the rules as they are written and suck it up.

no1b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:56 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Knowing all the mods on our board, they wouldn't give you an infraction unless you were trying to antagonize or bait us. Opus, GKJ, Hovercraft, and MSE wouldn't do anything like that.
def give the flyers a thumbs up on their moderators. Usually you see other moderators jumping into the fray and in many cases throwing out curses left and right as I have seen quite a few Montreal mods do.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Gooch

Quote:

I was in the columbus thread and basically a solid portion of them truly believed that the NHL had it out for them with all the PP's for Detroit, and over in the boston/montreal thread the same thing is going on with the montreal fans. Just seems whatever team is on the losing end looks for the easiest thing to blame instead of their own team... the refs.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Bylsmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticFlyerFan View Post
Good evening gents,
For some of Us hockey fans that have been watching hockey for a long time (1970 for me) We think it's a silly rule to increase scoring in this new NHL. Don Cherry echoed the thoughts toninght on Coaches Corner. These day with the composite sticks they are making all you have to do is lean on the stick and it will break. He had a great point "It's a stick, not a player. It's not like he took an axe to the guy". Back in the '70's the ref would have been laughed off the ice if he tried to to give a player a penalty for breaking a piece of wood. In those days teams had to earn a powerplay. And as I said before I'm a huge fan of 5 on 5 hockey and would rather see no powerplays for either team.
It's also not an automatic call, like the puck over the glass rule. It's up to the discretion of the ref. But most of the time it is called.

The rules are made by the NHL brass/owners and with the input from a commitee of players.
Fans have to live with the rules as they are written and suck it up.
My only problem with the stick-breaking slash was that it was on a rush, Kunitz didn't have the puck, and it effectively removed Kunitz from the rush. He'd either have to go in without a stick, or go back to the bench and grab a new one... Both of which not being ideal situations.

Bylsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:05 PM
no1b4me

Quote:

You are correct they have been pretty even for the most part. I can't speak for everybody but I think many hockey fans not just flyers or penguin fans usually complain about the timing of calls. Over the years everyone hears comments about sure this or that is a penalty in the 1st but not in overtime. All we can hope for is that it is consistent no matter when the infaction is done.

Old
04-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Clarence Beeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylsmagic View Post
My only problem with the stick-breaking slash was that it was on a rush, Kunitz didn't have the puck, and it effectively removed Kunitz from the rush. He'd either have to go in without a stick, or go back to the bench and grab a new one... Both of which not being ideal situations.
Exactly. If you take away an offensive player's stick he's useless on a rush. That's why it's a penalty.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:09 PM
no1b4me

Quote:
That is true, same as when it happens to a penalty killer. However, a killer can still kill with blocking. Someone on offense without a stick can only kick it to another player.

Old
04-18-2009, 10:10 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Exactly. There's no qualitative difference between breaking somebody's stick, clearly and on purpose, and tackling a player. Both prevent a player from playing the game normally. Obviously a player will not be unimpeded by good defense, etc, but it's just untenable to defend what Giroux did to Kunitz. It was a stupid mistake at an unfortunate time, but that's his problem, not the refs or anyone else.

DJ Spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:20 PM
no1b4me

But remember guys this rule has only been in the league for a couple years. Players have been breaking opposing players sticks since the the NHL started. However, back in the day it was harder to do because they used real sticks.
If anything, the NHL should impose that players go back to the real sticks of old. They already have rules on size of blade etc. They can also make a rule on the material it's made of.

Giroux has to live and learn by what he did the the fans have to accept the call on the ice.

Old
04-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Bylsmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticFlyerFan View Post
But remember guys this rule has only been in the league for a couple years. Players have been breaking opposing players sticks since the the NHL started. However, back in the day it was harder to do because they used real sticks.
If anything, the NHL should impose that players go back to the real sticks of old. They already have rules on size of blade etc. They can also make a rule on the material it's made of.

Giroux has to live and learn by what he did the the fans have to accept the call on the ice.
I can think of maybe a handful of players who would be pleased with the idea of going back to wooden sticks. For all the times they break, they still perform that much better.

Bylsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:47 PM
FlightlessBird

http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_0...896&feedID=695

Hilarious.

FlightlessBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:55 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech_is_God View Post
At least Richards still hasn't made an ass of himself. I like for there to be one guy in that organization that I can have a modicum of respect for. What a crew of losers.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 11:12 PM
moonknight31

even richards i think can be a dillhole during the game but off the ice he seems to not complain as much as everyone else but thats like saying that hes the worlds smartest flea

moonknight31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:30 AM
Left Of The Dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech_is_God View Post
In the second comment on the article, a guy compares Bettman to Hitler. I guess Godwin's Law is true.

Does that make Crosby Eva Braun?

Left Of The Dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Pens1566

I love it. I think the flyers board has already moved on to the eagles draft topic as of yesterday.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 02:36 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Very funny how few of them mention the missed call on Hartnell for launching his stick at Sykora when he was winding up to take a shot. If called, that would've been a penalty shot awarded to Syko.

Old
04-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Hail Stannis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinGuru View Post
http://flyers.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hl=true

fast forward to about 4:10 and listen to the whiny reported as he wrings out a few tears from Stevens. Apparently, the great city of Philadelphia thinks that the Penguins address the refs too much and that the mean old refs wont listen to their players when THEY want to address the refs.It's like Bettman always says, "Silly Flyers, refs are for Sid!"
That's the price they pay for being a bunch of dirty punks. It's the same reason Avery and Ruutu get calls they don't deserve sometimes.

Hail Stannis is offline   Reply With Quote