HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ECQ 2|Thank You Sir, May I Have Another|Philadelphia Flyers @ Pittsburgh Penguins|7PM

Old
04-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
According to the Flyers board's GDT, rookie defenseman Luca Sbisa is going to replace Carcillo on the fourth line. Sounds like Kimmo Timonen is banged up, so they are dressing another defenseman just in case.

We need to take advantage of this situation tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Cue the endless excuses ...
If they didn't want him to get broken, they shouldn't have left him out where Chris Kunitz could find him.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:29 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Again, I find it so deliciously ironic that the Big Bad Flyers are getting beaten up by the "tissue soff" Pittsburgh Penguins.

People love to believe that the Pens are Whitney soft, but I'm loving the physicality of the recent Pens squads.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:31 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
Again, I find it so deliciously ironic that the Big Bad Flyers are getting beaten up by the "tissue soff" Pittsburgh Penguins.

People love to believe that the Pens are Whitney soft, but I'm loving the physicality of the recent Pens squads.
I'm betting we see Godard tonight too ... we're just a bunch of figure skating pansies after all.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:32 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
I'm probably the only Pierre McGuire fan on earth. Sure, he's overbearing, loud, and has homoerotic tendencies, but I appreciate his enthusiasm and occasional insight, and he's usually tempered by Gord Miller playing the straight man.

But whatever Pierre's failings, you can tell he's genuine and passionate. Most NBC and Versus broadcast teams sound like a "Playful Banter and Superfluous Hockey Facts to Kill Time" switch got flipped and broke off. The actual game action is completely secondary.
We're two. I appreciate Pierre McGuire and his craziness.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:33 PM
spcastlemagic

Imagine in a few years if Tangradi can translate his game to this level, Caputi pans out, and HF's dreams come true and we kept Kassian... we'll beat up on everybody.

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:35 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
I'm betting we see Godard tonight too ... we're just a bunch of figure skating pansies after all.
Yeah. Someone needs to tell Orpik and Cooke to stop pirouetting into people.

Also, what's with Scuderi throwing the big hits this year? I about lost it when he dumped that Flyer on his orange wallet in Game 1.

Old
04-17-2009, 04:57 PM
SirJordanStaal11*

Teams that win the first two games of a series win said series something like 80-90% of the time.

SirJordanStaal11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quick random stat from the regular season:

The Pens have 3 players in the top 20 hitters for the regular season (Orpik #2, Cooke #5, and Kunitz #16). You have to go back to 46th to find your first Flyer (Alberts) and Staal's only one hit behind him at 49th in the league and ahead of Carcillo and Richards.

Outside of the cheapshots, I really don't think the Flyers are anywhere near the vaunted physical powerhouse they're always talked up as, and Game 1 seemed to confirm that theory a bit.

Old
04-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Gold Diamond
World Champ

I predict a big game from Kunitz.... just a feeling.

Quote me on this.

Gold Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
Quick random stat from the regular season:

The Pens have 3 players in the top 20 hitters for the regular season (Orpik #2, Cooke #5, and Kunitz #16). You have to go back to 46th to find your first Flyer (Alberts) and Staal's only one hit behind him at 49th in the league and ahead of Carcillo and Richards.

Outside of the cheapshots, I really don't think the Flyers are anywhere near the vaunted physical powerhouse they're always talked up as, and Game 1 seemed to confirm that theory a bit.
I might be developing a bit of a man-crush on Staal.

Old
04-17-2009, 05:25 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

What a fantastic GDT that probably got you fired from your job this afternoon!

If the Pens play anything at all like the way they did on Wednesday then it will simply be more of the same.

I think we do and I think we win 4-2.

LET'S GO PENS!!!

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Trepanated

Quote:
I'm probably the only Pierre McGuire fan on earth. Sure, he's overbearing, loud, and has homoerotic tendencies, but I appreciate his enthusiasm and occasional insight, and he's usually tempered by Gord Miller playing the straight man.

But whatever Pierre's failings, you can tell he's genuine and passionate. Most NBC and Versus broadcast teams sound like a "Playful Banter and Superfluous Hockey Facts to Kill Time" switch got flipped and broke off. The actual game action is completely secondary.
I love Pierre. I was going to call him a "MONSTER", but that would be a little much. But seriously, I think his insight is more than occasional. 90% of the time, he's spot on.

Trepanated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Sweet GDT.

Go Pens.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:31 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Don't tease...

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:38 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45flight View Post
just another reason why i never watch nbc

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:41 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Better then blindly hating him like so many others. I really did notice that along with his skating getting better he was a lot more physical. Not only on the hits but his work down low.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:43 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius View Post
I predict a big game from Kunitz.... just a feeling.

Quote me on this.
I quoted you.

I think the Flyers are going to come out early and try to give Crosby hell and Malkin hell, then Staal will pick up the slack. Later, Crosby & Malkin will get in on the action.

1-2-3 Punch, Baby!

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:46 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Better then blindly hating him like so many others. I really did notice that along with his skating getting better he was a lot more physical. Not only on the hits but his work down low.
I don't think they hate him. They just have this ridiculous expectation that every high 1st rounder should come in and be a ppg player right away. Sid and Malkin spoiled us in that sense. Staal's production @ 20 is nothing to sneeze at and the glimpses of his potential that are coming through more and more often are very exciting. If he gets a nasty streak in him, I could see him becoming more than was originally projected for him.

Old
04-17-2009, 05:47 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:

McGuire has dropped down a couple pegs in my eyes in the past couple seasons, from being someone whose comments I always appreciated to someone I believe has insight but sometimes gets caught up in either over-pessimism or over-optimism.

I've never minded his enthusiasm though because it's always genuine and never comes off has fabricated.

Old
04-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepanated View Post
I love Pierre. I was going to call him a "MONSTER", but that would be a little much. But seriously, I think his insight is more than occasional. 90% of the time, he's spot on.
Couldn't disagree more. I would actually flip it around ... IMO, 90% of the time he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. He does have a lot of enthusiasm, though, so that's definitely an upside, as others have pointed out.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Bylsmagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
McGuire has dropped down a couple pegs in my eyes in the past couple seasons, from being someone whose comments I always appreciated to someone I believe has insight but sometimes gets caught up in either over-pessimism or over-optimism.

I've never minded his enthusiasm though because it's always genuine and never comes off has fabricated.
Pierre McGuire on TSN draft day coverage has to be up there with ridiculous performances on TV. He just goes through super highs and super lows for hour after hour, and then there was that point where he just stood super close and super stiff next to someone, just staring pretty much at their mouth.

At least he's on the Canadian side of things, I can't imagine having to hear him talk during WJC or something like that from the other team's perspective.

Bylsmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Left Of The Dial

Quote:

I also am a Pierre fan. I think it's because I love trying to figure out if he is intentionally or unintentionally hilarious. Gord and Pierre are like Abbott and Costello, Burns and Allen, Cheech and Chong, Bob and David, they are just a fantastic comedy team. Plus, all my friends hate him and I am a bit of a contrarian.

I agree about his enthusiasm. It's easy to tell how much he loves hockey and I really appreciate that.

Left Of The Dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 06:00 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
He's played outstanding hockey as of late. I'm actually more excited when his line is on the ice than malkin's line.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 06:01 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bylsmagic View Post
Pierre McGuire on TSN draft day coverage has to be up there with ridiculous performances on TV. He just goes through super highs and super lows for hour after hour, and then there was that point where he just stood super close and super stiff next to someone, just staring pretty much at their mouth.

At least he's on the Canadian side of things, I can't imagine having to hear him talk during WJC or something like that from the other team's perspective.
My favourite McGuire Draft Day moment was when he creamed his pants after New Jersey drafted Zach Parise calling it "a coup".

Old
04-17-2009, 06:04 PM
PACaptain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Road View Post
Sweet GDT.

Go Pens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKV Jungle Friends View Post
What a fantastic GDT that probably got you fired from your job this afternoon!

If the Pens play anything at all like the way they did on Wednesday then it will simply be more of the same.

I think we do and I think we win 4-2.

LET'S GO PENS!!!
Thanks for the GDT props.

I didn't get fired because I finished it up last night after a men's league hockey game. I will admit I was dragging a bit at work but I'll attribute that to today being a playoff gameday.

PACaptain is offline   Reply With Quote