HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Just played my first ice hockey game

Old
03-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Captain Zach

vCash: 500
Just played my first ice hockey game

After years of indoor and outdoor roller hockey I made the transition on Saturday to ice hockey. I was a little nervous and didn't know what to expect. The game is very different, much faster and obviously the factor of hitting comes into play. I happened to score a goal in the second period from the high slot which was nice to add on top of the whole experience. But for all the roller players that want to try ice but not sure about it, do it, you will enjoy it.

Captain Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:07 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

nice dude

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2009, 10:36 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zach View Post
After years of indoor and outdoor roller hockey I made the transition on Saturday to ice hockey. I was a little nervous and didn't know what to expect. The game is very different, much faster and obviously the factor of hitting comes into play. I happened to score a goal in the second period from the high slot which was nice to add on top of the whole experience. But for all the roller players that want to try ice but not sure about it, do it, you will enjoy it.
Do you mean full checking or was it more like incidental contact? I've played plenty of pickup and nobody I've ever shared the ice with has played it as a checking game, so I'm surprised (unless I misunderstand you). Glad you enjoyed yourself, though, and congrats on your first goal.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:24 AM
NJDevs430

That's cool. Glad you had a good time.
Where did you play? Was it an open hockey pick-up game or do you know a bunch of guys that play and rented a sheet of ice for yourselves?

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 02:07 AM
johnan2112

I've been thinking of making the jump from roller to ice. Maybe next year.

johnan2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:43 PM
vivianmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnan2112 View Post
I've been thinking of making the jump from roller to ice. Maybe next year.
to quote your governor..."do it , do it now"

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 12:50 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianmb View Post
to quote your governor..."do it , do it now"
yeah, I came from roller, and while Im much better in roller, Ice is much more fun. take jump and do it now

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 01:21 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

After years of roller hockey I start ice on somewhere around the 10th.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 02:34 PM
johnan2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
After years of roller hockey I start ice on somewhere around the 10th.
Gooch, did you play roller at Rollin Ice?

Old
03-31-2009, 04:31 PM
The Big Giant Head

Thats awesome man congrats!

I grew up playing roller but swtiched to ice in my late teens, im currently playing both right now. I play just to see my friends and have a good time but ice is what im really passionate about, i love it, there's nothing like it and skating on ice compared to roller is just night and day...once you really get into ice you'll never take roller that seriously again.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 05:08 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Gooch, did you play roller at Rollin Ice?
yeah, still do for the rest of this season that just started (sunday nights) and possibly the next one

Old
03-31-2009, 05:39 PM
johnan2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
yeah, still do for the rest of this season that just started (sunday nights) and possibly the next one
Nice. I'm still a noob and play in the beginner's league on Mondays. I'm hoping to make the jump to ice once I get *some* decent skills.

Old
03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
AlexK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
there's nothing like it and skating on ice compared to roller is just night and day
Thats the truth. The edge hold on ice is unbelievable after playing roller.

I have my first ice game next week, also switching from roller. Been playing roller since early teens and just got on an ice team! Really excited to make the jump.

AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 06:44 PM
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Nice. I'm still a noob and play in the beginner's league on Mondays. I'm hoping to make the jump to ice once I get *some* decent skills.
I play d-5 sunday nights. They just combined the d-4 and d-5 league so there is more talent out there. It is quite fun out there. Should be interesting switching from 4 on 4 to 5 on 5

Old
03-31-2009, 06:53 PM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
Thats the truth. The edge hold on ice is unbelievable after playing roller.

I have my first ice game next week, also switching from roller. Been playing roller since early teens and just got on an ice team! Really excited to make the jump.
Yea your really going to enjoy the pace of the game, you really have to be on your toes when playing ice because not only is it faster but instead of typical roller hockey 4 on 4 its 5 on 5 and that 5th guy can really throw you off.

It's amazing when i step on the sport court and play in my monday night roller league after having played in my saturday/sunday ice hockey league how much room there is out there. You really feel like you have all day to do what you want and even when someone pressures you its easy to use that space to your advantage.

Good luck and have fun.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Placebo Effect

Nice job, I play my first one Friday...well scrimmage.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2009, 02:32 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:

Screw the skill, just play and have fun.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Croco

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Screw the skill, just play and have fun.
Well put. I don't have *any* experience whatsoever, but I'm thinking after a few stick time sessions, I'll look into getting into a beginner's/instructional league and playing pickup. I really don't care that I'm gonna royally suck at first...it's getting out there, tearing it up and having fun that I'm after. The game will come to me eventually.

Croco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2009, 10:42 PM
stick9

Nothing like the original that's for sure.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 09:35 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I'm looking forward to the transition to ice. Glad you had fun man!

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco View Post
Well put. I don't have *any* experience whatsoever, but I'm thinking after a few stick time sessions, I'll look into getting into a beginner's/instructional league and playing pickup. I really don't care that I'm gonna royally suck at first...it's getting out there, tearing it up and having fun that I'm after. The game will come to me eventually.
Thats what im talking about. Get out there and have fun. There is literally nothing else on this planet that gives the same thrill and enjoyment then gliding down the ice with the puck on your blade. (maybe diving, but apples oranges)

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Huggy Bear*

Send a message via AIM to Huggy Bear*
The best part about ice from roller is the following three big differences:

The smell of a rink
The sounds
The chill down your spine when you first walk in the arena, and CAN'T wait to get out on a fresh sheet

Huggy Bear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2009, 07:35 PM
UserName

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggy Bear View Post

The smell of a rink
The sounds
The chill down your spine when you first walk in the arena, and CAN'T wait to get out on a fresh sheet
YES! and thats just any rink. Try doubling that when you get a chance to play at GM place. Greatest and fastest ice i've ever and will ever skate on.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 09:25 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggy Bear View Post

The smell of a rink
The sounds
I can't tell you how much I miss our old rink that was burned down. There was something utterly magical about walking in that place at 7am on a Saturday morning, that big steel door would freeze your hand on first touch, the corridor with the drinking fountain on one side and the electrical room on the other, finally the double doors leading to the concourse with the dressing rooms on either side, canteen at one end, ref's room and minor hockey office at the other. Lights still off in the rink, only the natural light from the plexiglass windows along the top of both sides of the arena bringing in some light. It would bring a smile to my face every time, god that ice looked just so perfect. To me, no ice in the world was better than that sheet in that freezing old barn. Never seemed to be a blemish on it. The four dressing rooms we're small, only had 1 toilet and two shower heads each, that old tractor we had for a zamboni for the longest time which finally got replaced by a second hand real Zamboni, which for us was the nicest looking machine in the world. Those old animal fur stuffed, leather covered goalie pads I wore, that my aunt had worn some 30 years earlier, our old Charlo Stars (Minnesota North Stars) jerseys. The canteen with it's yet to be beaten in an arena poutine. Those old wooden boards, the old clock, the old glass, all of which was replaced in 2003 for the Canada Winter Games where it was used as a practice rink. All of that went up in smoke a mere few months later when some kids, my age and that I'm almost ashamed to admit I know very well, decided to break in and steal money & booze from the bar, accidently setting the place on fire at the same time.

My father and his brothers and sisters all grew up in that place, my fathers sister was a goalie in the mid-to-late 70's, so good in fact that she had the backup goalies parents call Hockey NB when they reached Pee-Wee to have her blocked from playing with the boys so her son could play, eh. I grew up in that place too, and so did many kids from my generation. No matter what I accomplish in hockey, and I've won Championships since I've been in that old rink last, nothing will ever come close to equalling the good times we all had in that place. December 30th, 2003 is the date it burned down, and as sappy as it may sound, yes I and my father and a lot of other people who loved the Charlo Recreational Center did cry that day. Sad. </rant>

Right....so what was the point of this post again? Oh yeah, the smell and freezing temperature of an old rink rocks. You just can't beat that.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2009, 10:24 AM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
I can't tell you how much I miss our old rink that was burned down. There was something utterly magical about walking in that place at 7am on a Saturday morning, that big steel door would freeze your hand on first touch, the corridor with the drinking fountain on one side and the electrical room on the other, finally the double doors leading to the concourse with the dressing rooms on either side, canteen at one end, ref's room and minor hockey office at the other. Lights still off in the rink, only the natural light from the plexiglass windows along the top of both sides of the arena bringing in some light. It would bring a smile to my face every time, god that ice looked just so perfect. To me, no ice in the world was better than that sheet in that freezing old barn. Never seemed to be a blemish on it. The four dressing rooms we're small, only had 1 toilet and two shower heads each, that old tractor we had for a zamboni for the longest time which finally got replaced by a second hand real Zamboni, which for us was the nicest looking machine in the world. Those old animal fur stuffed, leather covered goalie pads I wore, that my aunt had worn some 30 years earlier, our old Charlo Stars (Minnesota North Stars) jerseys. The canteen with it's yet to be beaten in an arena poutine. Those old wooden boards, the old clock, the old glass, all of which was replaced in 2003 for the Canada Winter Games where it was used as a practice rink. All of that went up in smoke a mere few months later when some kids, my age and that I'm almost ashamed to admit I know very well, decided to break in and steal money & booze from the bar, accidently setting the place on fire at the same time.

My father and his brothers and sisters all grew up in that place, my fathers sister was a goalie in the mid-to-late 70's, so good in fact that she had the backup goalies parents call Hockey NB when they reached Pee-Wee to have her blocked from playing with the boys so her son could play, eh. I grew up in that place too, and so did many kids from my generation. No matter what I accomplish in hockey, and I've won Championships since I've been in that old rink last, nothing will ever come close to equalling the good times we all had in that place. December 30th, 2003 is the date it burned down, and as sappy as it may sound, yes I and my father and a lot of other people who loved the Charlo Recreational Center did cry that day. Sad. </rant>

Right....so what was the point of this post again? Oh yeah, the smell and freezing temperature of an old rink rocks. You just can't beat that.
Man that rink was quite a barn. I remember playing a doubleheader up there one weekend in Atom. It was kinda neat cuz you guys had the North Stars sweaters and we had just got new sweaters that were the Stars (like Dallas). Was a great place to play. Do you guys have a new rink now?

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote