HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is montreal a bonafide stanley cup contender? #2

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Youreallygotme

vCash: 500
Is montreal a bonafide stanley cup contender? #2

i better not get laughed at like poor guy who made the last thread regarding this. How can this team not be considered as a stanley cup contender? heres a question for you: who was more of a contender last year, detroit or anaheim? YEAH ANAHEIM I THOUGHT SO. They proved everyone wrong including me, who predicted them out in 4, first round breakfast food. Just like carolina the year before, washington a while back, etc., etc. This team has all the tools to be this years sleeper: Goalie who's just as good as giguere, very good offense, better than average defense with a big stopper(just like carney), and lots of defensive forwards.

Its ridiculous how the last guy got treated, because "oh yeah because theyve been on a hot streak theyre suddenly a stanley cup contender? Haw haw haw what a nidiot". Well guess what that last hot streak and this one is getting them into the playoffs....and anyone who makes the playoffs can go all the way. so calgary, montreal, Even new york can go all the way.

So guess what guys: MONTREAL IS A LEGIT CUP CONTENDER, AND THERES NOTHING YOU LEAF FANS/ BOSTON FANS CAN DO.

and no im not a habs fan, as my name should indicate.

BTW what do you think of my prediction for the finals: SAN JOSE VS OTTAWA.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:03 PM
Karl Pilkington

GO HABS GO

People might bash you man.. but I agree.. my feeling on the playoffs is that everyone who makes it is a bonified cup contender. You never know what can happen.. and if the habs do make the finals this year.. I hope they dont turn out lie Carolina and Anaheim both did the following season.. damn that would suck.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:04 PM
leafaholix*

Anyone can pull a Cinderella act... like Anaheim and Carolina.

Is Montreal a potential "sleeper"? Yes.

Are they a legit contender? No.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Pontifex Maximus*

Well there is the fact that Montreal is nowhere near as good as New Jersey, Toronto, Ottawa, and Philadelphia. But anything can happen.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Kirk Muller

NO they aren't a contender, and I am a hab fan.

But therein lies the beauty of the playoffs and why we still play the games, anyone can win, anything can happen.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrachlinexperience
Well there is the fact that Montreal is nowhere near as good as New Jersey, Toronto, Ottawa, and Philadelphia. But anything can happen.
3. Boston 89
4. Ottawa 88
5. Toronto 88
6. New Jersey 85
7. Montreal 83

Old
03-12-2004, 11:19 PM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
3. Boston 89
4. Ottawa 88
5. Toronto 88
6. New Jersey 85
7. Montreal 83
Montreal isn't at the same level as Toronto, Ottawa, or New Jersey.

Old
03-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
3. Boston 89
4. Ottawa 88
5. Toronto 88
6. New Jersey 85
7. Montreal 83
I like Montreal, but I'd take all 4 of the teams listed above them in a 7 game series. But as it has been stated before, that doesn't mean Montreal can't do some damage in the playoffs.......

Old
03-12-2004, 11:24 PM
EaGLE1

I prefer entering the playoffs with goalies such as Theodore/Garon than old Eddie & The Kidd

Also, Toronto are too old to win the cup. They are not comparable to Red Wings cup edition. It will be Ottawa vs Colorado!!!

Old
03-13-2004, 12:18 AM
Superfluous U

Garon and Kidd only matter if Belfour or Theodore gets hurt. I think everyone admits that as Belfour goes, so go the Leafs' cup hopes. If Theodore gets hurt, Garon is capable of not losing them games. Doesn't change the fact the Toronto has a much better chance of going far than Montreal. Theodore might get unbelievably hot, Montreal might play amazing, Montreal might make the finals. But it isn't likely.

Old
03-13-2004, 12:24 AM
Habsolution

Trivia question of the week : how many teams have more wins than the habs this season ?

EDIT : not trying to prove anything here...

Last edited by Habsolution: 03-13-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old
03-13-2004, 12:26 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks&flames
i better not get laughed at like poor guy who made the last thread regarding this. How can this team not be considered as a stanley cup contender? heres a question for you: who was more of a contender last year, detroit or anaheim? YEAH ANAHEIM I THOUGHT SO. They proved everyone wrong including me, who predicted them out in 4, first round breakfast food. Just like carolina the year before, washington a while back, etc., etc. This team has all the tools to be this years sleeper: Goalie who's just as good as giguere, very good offense, better than average defense with a big stopper(just like carney), and lots of defensive forwards.

So guess what guys: MONTREAL IS A LEGIT CUP CONTENDER, AND THERES NOTHING YOU LEAF FANS/ BOSTON FANS CAN DO.

and no im not a habs fan, as my name should indicate.

BTW what do you think of my prediction for the finals: SAN JOSE VS OTTAWA.
whatever, anaheim contender? nooooo.. cinderella act, yes. did anaheim win? no, they didn't, a contender won, and hence why we label contenders...

anaheim wasn't, carolina wasn't, washington wasn't, and neither is montreal. montreal for sure is a sleeper to perhaps do some damage, maybe a couple rounds, but they AREN"T A CONTENDER

some words are thrown around far far far too easy and carelessly around here *elite, top pairing, top line, contender etc...*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
Anyone can pull a Cinderella act... like Anaheim and Carolina.

Is Montreal a potential "sleeper"? Yes.

Are they a legit contender? No.
simple, yet true

Old
03-13-2004, 12:27 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

A hot goalie can take you far... so hope that Theodore steps it up in the playoffs. And I do think that he is better than Giguere.

Old
03-13-2004, 12:31 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks&flames
i better not get laughed at like poor guy who made the last thread regarding this. How can this team not be considered as a stanley cup contender? heres a question for you: who was more of a contender last year, detroit or anaheim? YEAH ANAHEIM I THOUGHT SO. They proved everyone wrong including me, who predicted them out in 4, first round breakfast food. Just like carolina the year before, washington a while back, etc., etc. This team has all the tools to be this years sleeper
You're confusing winning some games in the playoffs with "contender". Just because a team beats another doesn't make them a contender. Just as you said, the word for that is "sleeper".

And sleepers *never* win the Cup. Ever. Carolina and Washington were never a threat to win the Cup at all. Anaheim got closer than anyone ever before, on the strength of superhuman goaltending, and a lucky 7 for 7 in overtime.

Can Montreal go on a run, and win a series or two, maybe even three? By all means. But they're not a contender as long as they're in that 7th seed. The road is just too tough, no one has ever pulled it off.

Old
03-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Youreallygotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
whatever, anaheim contender? nooooo.. cinderella act, yes. did anaheim win? no, they didn't, a contender won, and hence why we label contenders...

anaheim wasn't, carolina wasn't, washington wasn't, and neither is montreal. montreal for sure is a sleeper to perhaps do some damage, maybe a couple rounds, but they AREN"T A CONTENDER

some words are thrown around far far far too easy and carelessly around here *elite, top pairing, top line, contender etc...*

simple, yet true
so because they lost that one game 7 they werent contenders? give me a break. if they had won youd still prolly be saying they werent contenders. regular season and playoffs are WAY different. Anaheim finished 7th in the reg. season....but 2nd where it matters.

Old
03-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Luigi Lemieux

the east is wide open imo.

if they are totally healthy and have theodore playing well, they have as good a shot as anyone to come out of the east.

what seed were they in '93?

Old
03-13-2004, 12:36 AM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis

if they are totally healthy and have theodore playing well, they have as good a shot as anyone to come out of the east.

They didn't have home ice against Quebec for sure.

Old
03-13-2004, 12:38 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis

3rd in their division but only 5 teams had more points than them that season. They ended the season with 102 pts and 48 wins.

Pens and Bruins were favourites.

Old
03-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
Trivia question of the week : how many teams have more wins than the habs this season ?

Yeah.. Montreal has 37 Wins.. Only Toronto (38) Tampa Bay (40) and Detroit(40) have more.

Old
03-13-2004, 12:51 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
3rd in their division but only 5 teams had more points than them that season. They ended the season with 102 pts and 48 wins.

Pens and Bruins were favourites.
And the bruins were swept first round by Buffalo..

Pens lost in 7 to the Islanders..

Which proves anything can happen in the playoffs

Old
03-13-2004, 04:08 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Montreal isn't at the same level as Toronto, Ottawa, or New Jersey.
While this might not technically be true, I think Montreal has the goaltending advantage over the first two, perhaps more talented forwards than New Jersey, and perhaps as good a coach as either. Toss up for the blue lines. Depth, well, that's kind of a toss up as well, except I see New Jersey being susceptible to losing 1 or 2 key players that would immediately eliminate their chances of going all the way. Montreal enjoys the luxury of relatively talented depth, and youth. Look at the recent trends, too. Montreal and Tampa are the hottest teams right now. Anything can happen. With only 10 points separating Montreal from first (5 from Toronto), it seems obvious that almost all these teams are on the same level.

Old
03-13-2004, 04:13 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Just incase no one is taking this seriously, the answer is only 3 (T Bay by 3, Detroit by 3, and Toronto by 1). That has to mean they are a legit contender or atleast not your stereotypical "Cinderella". Good point!

Old
03-13-2004, 04:15 AM
leafaholix*

Toronto, Ottawa, and New Jersey are proven playoff teams... Montreal is not.

Old
03-13-2004, 04:21 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Toronto, Ottawa, and New Jersey are proven playoff teams... Montreal is not.

Ooooh ouch. I'm not sure I'd be mentioning Ottawa in the proven department. Montreal went a couple rounds 2 years ago and Ottawa has forever been deemed as underachievers

Old
03-13-2004, 04:29 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
Ooooh ouch. I'm not sure I'd be mentioning Ottawa in the proven department. Montreal went a couple rounds 2 years ago and Ottawa has forever been deemed as underachievers
Ottawa took the Stanley Cup champion New Jersey Devils to 7 games, and the game could have gone either way and they were a win away from facing the Mighty Ducks in the Finals... the last time the Habs got to the third round (and advanced to win the Cup), was in '93, which happened to be the Senators first season.
Oooh ouch... I think somebody just got put in their place.

Closed Thread