HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Ufc 97

Old
04-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Savvy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Anderson doesn't want to fight. He wants to dance around all night. He'd be exponentially more devastating if he stayed away from the BS theatrics and just engaged rather than shadow boxing most of the fight. Given the quickness and skill level of Silva this fight should have ended in the 1st round, but Silva didn't do anything for 5 straight rounds. He toys with his opposition rather than fighting them. May as well sign up for Dancing with the Stars.
So Silva should clinch with a guy that is desperate to pull guard to have a glimmer of hope of winning? It's his fault then when he engages and strikes the other guy just lays on the ground, not even attempting to pull guard because he's afraid of a knee or head kick.

Like I said earlier, when Leites falls to the ground not even attempting a takedown, pulling guard or simply grabbing a single leg he should lose a point after the 20th god damn time.

Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Chairman Mallard
Fun Must Be Always

God awful main event

Chairman Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
I don't blame Leites. He was outclassed. There was literally nothing else he could do except invite Silva to a roll on the mat.

What's Anderson's excuse for not doing a damn thing?
And the only way you can really describe this fight is taht Silva was just as much of a ***** for not going to the mat as Leites was for not standing up with him.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Savvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
What did you really want Leites to do? Why should he risk his health just to engage Silva in the "exciting" fight that Silva wants?

The dude could not get takedowns. He had nothing else. After that, he might as well just play defensive, and he did. No real harm in that other than making Silva look like a fool and putting on an embarrassing show.

If you lost any respect for Leites, you should have none left for Silva.
He's paid to engage in a fight! He doesn't have to strike but not attempting takedowns or pulling guard and simply falling to your back when Silva gets within 10 feet of you is unacceptable.

Savvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Burnaby_Joe*

Fedor finishes fights and he doesn't lose. Anderson Silva isn't the best pound for pound fighter in the world. His last 2 fights were disgusting.

Shogun is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

I'm getting **** faced tonight.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
I don't blame Leites. He was outclassed. There was literally nothing else he could do except invite Silva to a roll on the mat.

Every time he tried to do something the guy would just lay down. He was diving like Crosby left and right.

Pure Rock Fury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:11 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure Rock Fury View Post
Every time he tried to do something the guy would just lay down. He was diving like Crosby left and right.
*********. Anderson was playing pattycake. Throw strikes and maybe something happens when you connect like he did pretty much at will.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Ike Thermite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
So Silva should clinch with a guy that is desperate to pull guard to have a glimmer of hope of winning?
How about trying a combination or two? It was just constantly dance in, throw a punch or kick, dance out, reset, dance in, throw a punch or kick, dance out. He didn't try and string anything together all night.

Ike Thermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:32 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Again, drunk 2 and 4 are close together.

Question still stands. how is it scored 50-46?
One 10-10 round and the rest 10-9's for Silva. 10-10 rounds are pretty rare but some judges will still hand them out if there's very little action in a round, I'm guessing it was probably the first round that earned that score.

Main event was awful, Shogun winning was cool, big props to Cantwell for doing way better than I thought he would. Oh yeah, and I also thought Wiman should have won. Aside from that, not much to say... it was a pretty blah card.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:46 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
If you're winning the fight that easily, the onus isn't on you to do anything different.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
One 10-10 round and the rest 10-9's for Silva. 10-10 rounds are pretty rare but some judges will still hand them out if there's very little action in a round, I'm guessing it was probably the first round that earned that score.

Main event was awful, Shogun winning was cool, big props to Cantwell for doing way better than I thought he would. Oh yeah, and I also thought Wiman should have won. Aside from that, not much to say... it was a pretty blah card.
10-10 rounds aren't possible. It's a 10 must system which means the winner gets ten and the loser gets 9 or less.

Old
04-19-2009, 01:02 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by my prediction
-Anderson Silva (23-4) vs. Thales Leites (14-1) KO1 any comment needed?
Well, that was pretty much garbage.

Quote:
-Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (17-3) vs. Chuck Liddell (21-6) TKO2 I know Shogun has looked terrible since arriving in UFC, but I think he does have the hands to knock Chuck out if this is a stand up match. Chuck spoke of working on his wrestling and other stuff, which should probably worry Shogun, but when the chips are down Chuck will probably fight the same fight he always does, and I don't think he's fast enough to win that way anymore. I still have a soft spot for Chuck, but I've been really disturbed by where his game has headed.
And hopefully that was the end of it. Looked slow, the chin looks like it's glass now, I don't think that punch would have knocked down most top LHW fighters.

While people are celebrating the return of Rua, I'd be cautious on that. At this point, I'm not sure knocking out Chuck is a huge accomplishment, and I'm not sure the fight lasted long enough to show that Rua's conditioning troubles have been solved either.

Quote:
-Luiz Cane (9-1) vs. Steve Cantwell (7-1) TKO1 Cantwell really impressed me in his UFC debut, but Cane was just awesome in disposing of Sudoku. Hard to pick against that guy.
Although losing on the scorecard, Cantwell gains a ton of street cred here. Outstanding effort against a really deadly opponent. This guy is 22!?

Quote:
-Cheick Kongo (13-4-1) vs. Antoni Hardonk (8-4) eh, whatever.
whatever.

Quote:
-Brian Stann (6-1) vs. Krzysztof Soszynski (16-8-1) I know nothing about Stann, but I enjoy watching Krystoff's striking, and will be pulling for the Winnipeg guy.
Superb performance by Krystoff. Certainly the highlight of the night for me.

Quote:
-Matt Wiman (11-5) vs. Sam Stout (13-5-1) Wiman looked terrible in getting rolled up by one of the crazy Miller boys. Stout has looked terrible fighting pretty much anybody not named Fisher, hasn't he?
I thought Wiman did enough to win the 1st and 3rd rounds on the scorecard... but I don't feel that bad about the decision. The only significant damage in the fight was done by Stout in the 2nd round. Wiman won the 3rd round by virtue of basically a couple of takedowns and some top-control in which he did nothing. Stout did more "gnp" in the 20 seconds he had top control than Wiman did in the whole fight. If Wiman had won on the scorecards, I'd have thought it was the correct decision, but I'd also think it was a good example of the limitations of the "10-point must" scoring system.

Old
04-19-2009, 01:18 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
That was an awful main event. Anderson should have attacked a bit more. Instead he decided to show off, throw punches at Thales' leg, throw his hands in the air and on his waist, do a little straight kick like 20 times, try some backwards soccer kick, and at the end did he try to walk out of the interview? Or was he looking for water or a towel or something? Because if he tried to walk out then he's a cocky little b****. I like the guy, he's one of my favourites but his last 2 fights have been pretty bad. Maybe GSP will knock some sense into him.

So what if the crowd boos? Why does he really care what the people in Montreal think? Just keep doing your thing and if Thales wants to lay down because hes scared to exchange then let him. Atleast attack though. Let him lay there and get on top and do something. Don't just throw your hands in the air and throw a hissy fit.

I think if they had someone better or someone who wasn't scared to stand up, then Anderson would have been a lot better as well. This just wasn't a good fight.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Anderson Silva vs. Thales Leites
Chuck Liddell vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
Krzysztof Soszynski vs. Brian Stann
Cheick Kongo vs. Antoni Hardonk
Luis Cane vs. Steve Cantwell
Vinicius Magalhaes vs. Eliot Marshall
Xavier Foupa-Pokam vs. Denis Kang
Jason MacDonald vs. Nate Quarry
Ed Herman vs. David Loiseau
David Bielkheden vs. Mark Bocek
Ryo Chonan vs. T.J. Grant
Sam Stout vs. Matt Wiman
5/5 for the PPV.

2/7 undercards

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 01:27 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
If you're winning the fight that easily, the onus isn't on you to do anything different.
He was winning the contest, but he certainly wasn't fighting.

Old
04-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Silva should never ever wonder why he will never get the big bucks,,,, neither Silva/Leites should collect a check tonight... Affliction must have been loving this MAIN EVENT,,,, One of the worst/Bush League fights I have seen in a long time, let alone the so called P4P best in the world. You would nver see a fight like that out of GSP or Fedor. Could you imagine if you paid $500 + for tix to that ****

Bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 02:09 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

The inspiration behind Leites' strategy:

Old
04-19-2009, 02:11 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
10-10 rounds aren't possible. It's a 10 must system which means the winner gets ten and the loser gets 9 or less.
http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gou...7a5ec29ffe9ec6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec combat sports regulations
DIVISION XVI
JUDGES AND SCORING

[...]

129. In exceptional instances, where neither of the contestants has obtained an advantage, a judge shall score the round even.

O.C. 662-95, s. 129.

130. The 10-point scoring system shall be used for all bouts. The points of the contestant leading a round shall be maintained at 10 and, where the referee deducts points from that contestant, those points shall be added to the other contestant's points.

The loser shall receive between 9 and 6 points based on his performance, except where the referee deducts points.

Each contestant shall receive 10 points for a round that is scored even.

O.C. 662-95, s. 130; O.C. 392-2004, s. 10.
Like I said, it's rare and most judges don't do it, but every now and then you see one. And if there was ever a candidate for a 10-10 round, the first round of this fight was it...

Old
04-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gou...7a5ec29ffe9ec6

Like I said, it's rare and most judges don't do it, but every now and then you see one. And if there was ever a candidate for a 10-10 round, the first round of this fight was it...
Quebec is the first place I've heard of that scores draws.

Old
04-19-2009, 02:35 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Quebec is the first place I've heard of that scores draws.
Well, NSAC permits it as well so I'm not sure what more to tell you

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NAC/NAC-4...l#NAC467Sec796

Quote:
NAC 467.796 Method of judging. (NRS 467.030)

1. Each judge of a contest or exhibition of mixed martial arts that is being judged shall score the contest or exhibition and determine the winner through the use of the following system:

(a) The better unarmed combatant of a round receives 10 points and his opponent proportionately less.

(b) If the round is even, each unarmed combatant receives 10 points.

[...]

(Added to NAC by Athletic Commín by R070-01, eff. 8-31-2001)

Old
04-19-2009, 03:26 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Most judges must not know they can score 10-10 rounds then, because there's been tons of rounds that should've been a draw.

Old
04-19-2009, 07:17 AM
norrisnick

Analogy of the Silva/Leites fight.

Picture a highlight reel of Datsyuk breakaway/shootout goals. Now imagine that after Datsyuk tooled the goalie he peels off rather than putting the puck in the net. That's pretty much what the fight was, with maybe a couple limp backhanders along the ice from the blueline mixed in. Sure it's an "attempt" but one with no chance of accomplishing anything.

Old
04-19-2009, 10:29 AM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
Loved the Shogun fight, but im not as upset with the Sliva fight... i kinda enjoyed how he slowly picked apart Leites

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:22 AM
parabola
༼ つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つỏ̷͖͈̞̩͎̻̫̫

So that was Liddell's last fight

http://www.google.com/hostednews/can...h27qt7R30xm9VA

Good.

04-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

It's good that he's getting out before he gets seriously injured. He had a great career and should be proud.

Quote:
"It's not working for me lately," he said simply. And then he left the news conference to go drinking.
Haha! Atta boy Chuck.