HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kostopoulos - Does he belong in the NHL?

Old
04-17-2009, 03:30 PM
timbitca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
As a Bruins fan, Kosto reminds me a lot of Kobasew...not much talent, but always willing to work his ass off and stick up for his teammates...that being said, there are nights where I could really due without Kobasew and his lack of natural skill...

The love for Kosto seems very similar to me and many Bruins' fans feelings about Kobasew.
Totally agree with this. Without the first 4 words, of course.

Would take Kosto on a 4th line any day of the week.

/thread.

timbitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Le depisteur

Kostopoulos fights like a cat...
http://www.corussports.com/canadiens...7-1517241.html

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 03:34 PM
Kalcon

I've been a Hab fan all my life and that's probably longer than most of the posters in here. I bleed blue, blanc, et rouge and not to blow my own horn, but I feel I know the game of hockey as well as anyone else in here.
All I'm saying is that TK's hard work and honest effort is all well and good, but his talent level, or lack thereof, makes me wonder how he even made it to the NHL.
As for the poster who compared him to Mike Keane, that's a horrible comparison!
Mike Keane was a very intelliget player with pretty good hands and an amazing awareness on the ice. (Actually Mike Fisher in Ottawa reminds me alot of Keane).
TK tries harder than most but because of his lack of puck talent he doesn't get the results. After all, isn't puck handling the most important aspect of the game?
Each and every game I watch (and I've watched all of them) I continue to be frustrated with the poor decisions he makes in places where an NHLer should be making better ones.
If we keep less than mediocre guys like TK on this team, then we better be content in watching a less than mediocre hockey team.

Kalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcon View Post
I've been a Hab fan all my life and that's probably longer than most of the posters in here. I bleed blue, blanc, et rouge and not to blow my own horn, but I feel I know the game of hockey as well as anyone else in here.
All I'm saying is that TK's hard work and honest effort is all well and good, but his talent level, or lack thereof, makes me wonder how he even made it to the NHL.
As for the poster who compared him to Mike Keane, that's a horrible comparison!
Mike Keane was a very intelliget player with pretty good hands and an amazing awareness on the ice. (Actually Mike Fisher in Ottawa reminds me alot of Keane).
TK tries harder than most but because of his lack of puck talent he doesn't get the results. After all, isn't puck handling the most important aspect of the game?
Each and every game I watch (and I've watched all of them) I continue to be frustrated with the poor decisions he makes in places where an NHLer should be making better ones.
If we keep less than mediocre guys like TK on this team, then we better be content in watching a less than mediocre hockey team.
Well he made it to the NHL because is a hard worker. He plays hard, gives it his all, is good defensively, plays good on the PK, tries hard, and leaves everything on the ice.

Oh, plus he was an offensive dynamo in the AHL.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 03:48 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by habaholic View Post
Actually that's

"What in god's holy name are you blathering about?"

-Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski
That's not the point dude...the Charamon peed on your rug Dude.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

vCash: 50
I do not disagree with the OP. Kosto could play with a broom and it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

A good 4th liner for the time being, but he's overused. Should not be playing on the 3rd line.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
I do not disagree with the OP. Kosto could play with a broom and it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever.

A good 4th liner for the time being, but he's overused. Should not be playing on the 3rd line.
I agree. I'd prefer Higgins or SKost over Kosto on the 3rd line. We should use him with Plekanec, these guys will skate all over the place without ever scoring one goal, but isn't it what a 4th line is suppose to do?

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:38 PM
ReVeuF

He is a 4th liner... and we put him on our 3rd

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
He is a 4th liner... and we put him on our 3rd
And we put Chris Higgins, a 2nd liner, on our fourth.

What's your ****ing point?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 07:42 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Tom Nonstopoulos

The way Higgins is playing I'd try him with Laps and Lats, but TK is just tireless, he never gets out of fuel, he's like the energizer bunny, again and again and again...

He goes in front of the net, then get pushed, then goes back, gets pushed again, goes back, etc... Same for his fights, he always gets destroyed, but it's like he's made of steel. I was having an argument with some friends some time ago, that players who are very strong are not necessarily the toughest, and those that are the toughest are not necessarily the strongest... well TK is VERY tough, but not particularly strong.

Agree on the 4th liner, but he does belong in the NHL, that's for sure !

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 07:45 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
The way Higgins is playing I'd try him with Laps and Lats, but TK is just tireless, he never gets out of fuel, he's like the energizer bunny, again and again and again...

He goes in front of the net, then get pushed, then goes back, gets pushed again, goes back, etc... Same for his fights, he always gets destroyed, but it's like he's made of steel. I was having an argument with some friends some time ago, that players who are very strong are not necessarily the toughest, and those that are the toughest are not necessarily the strongest... well TK is VERY tough, but not particularly strong.

Agree on the 4th liner, but he does belong in the NHL, that's for sure !
ya, that's what I wrote above and I think many people wouldn't be too upset about that. Question is: does that line still have chemistry and mental connection if you change one of them. I think they still would if they practice the cycle. Also Higgins will HAVE to go to the net. Cuz that's Kosto's role but the problem is finishing.

Old
04-17-2009, 07:54 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
ya, that's what I wrote above and I think many people wouldn't be too upset about that. Question is: does that line still have chemistry and mental connection if you change one of them. I think they still would if they practice the cycle. Also Higgins will HAVE to go to the net. Cuz that's Kosto's role but the problem is finishing.
It's true that TK has great chemistry with Lats/Laps, better leave it that way, but at the same time, Higgins IMO, even if this season is one to forget for him, has more natural talent and abilities than TK' in his case it's confidence issues... but yesterday's game convinced me he's going to war, and that's great.

At the same time, he's playing very well with Metro, so we might as well let him there.

Crazy idea, but I wonder if putting TK with Pleks and AK would help them, as he goes hard to the net, so that would give 'em a bit of space. D'Ago could very well play with Laps/Lats.

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 08:02 PM
RE-HABS

He belongs, he is just a 4th liner playing in a 3rd line role thats the problem.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He didn't say anything wrong,nothing wrong with going to post on other teams board if you can do it in a nice way which he did,he's a great poster and is welcomed here anytime

As for the original question, YES Kosto belongs in the NHL great player to have on your team and like a few others have said a guy I definately want back next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
It's true that TK has great chemistry with Lats/Laps, better leave it that way, but at the same time, Higgins IMO, even if this season is one to forget for him, has more natural talent and abilities than TK' in his case it's confidence issues... but yesterday's game convinced me he's going to war, and that's great.

At the same time, he's playing very well with Metro, so we might as well let him there.

Crazy idea, but I wonder if putting TK with Pleks and AK would help them, as he goes hard to the net, so that would give 'em a bit of space. D'Ago could very well play with Laps/Lats.

Your avatars great, but if you look quick it looks like stewies taking a s*** on the B...maybe it's better that way

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 04-18-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 08:11 PM
habtastic

As a minor aside, just watched the Powe goal scored by Philly to put them ahead. Again, no name hardworking guy who just took a quick wrister that beat Fleury. This is the stuff that happens in the POs. Comes from creating space and working hard, not every goal will be like Kovy's last night. Kosto is very important. Where to put him is another debate, but 100% we need him. Remember his OT goal in Game 1 vs the flyers last year?

Powe might be a little bit more "talented" but point is in the post season it's effort and little things that create chances.

Old
04-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Riggins

He plays far too much, that's for sure. He should be on the 4th line and under 10 minutes a game - then he would be more effective. And not on the PK either, he can't clear the puck to save his life.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Habs 1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller010 View Post
As a Bruins fan, Kosto reminds me a lot of Kobasew...not much talent, but always willing to work his ass off and stick up for his teammates...that being said, there are nights where I could really due without Kobasew and his lack of natural skill...

The love for Kosto seems very similar to me and many Bruins' fans feelings about Kobasew.
I think Kobasew has much more talent than Kosto..well offensively anyways.

First thing that comes to mind is when I was watching a Bruins game a while back (Chara scored off a slapshot in the shootout), Kobasew scored a really really nice goal.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
And we put Chris Higgins, a 2nd liner, on our fourth.

What's your ****ing point?
and we have two press box candidates, one plays "second" line center and the other as the fifth defenseman.

Last edited by Kirk Muller: 04-17-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 08:22 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcon View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else feel that Tom K. should not be in the NHL?

I don't get people's love affair with him.

Sure, he works hard and gives 110% but what damn good is it when he has zero talent?

He's an average skater at best, he cannot stickhandle, he cannot pass, he cannot shoot, he cannot hit (effectively anyway), he sure as hell cannot fight, and doesn't make many smart decisions with or without the puck.

All he does is skate all around like one of those wind-up toys with no apparent direction or goal in mind...at least that's the impression I get.

Maybe some of you guys can enlighten me because I really don't get the fact that he is an NHLer.
Is this a serious post?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Thinkbig

Yes, on the fifth line.

Kostopoulos- Bégin- Downey

Thinkbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:38 PM
C4KOMI

please dont trash carboneau's hero.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Quiet Robert

Tom Kostopoulos had as many or more points in the 08-09 season as:

Maxime Talbot
Micheal Peca
Rob Niedermayer

Surely they are considered NHLers?

He averaged 11:55es/g, he was hardly being "overused." 2nd on the team in hits, 2nd in blocked shots among forwards, hard working player who is valuable on the PK. (Btw-he has averaged over 20pts in 4 of the past 5 years.)

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

He also has something some players on this team dont have.

HEART!!

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:29 PM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
he definitly deserves to be in the nhl, but as a 4th liner and NOT a 3rd liner, i mean like the OP says, he cant skate, pass and so on, he has such a hard time clearing the defensive zone , keeps on creating turnovers in our zone, and quite frankly, i find he is an average PKer at best, atleast begin would sacrifice his body to block shots, and ive almost never seen kosto doing so, and i am not a begin fan

and like ive said many times around here, i dont understand this huge love affair with this player

but atleast he has heart and should play on any 4th line in the nhl, 10min max per game

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Shabutie

I will be very happy when Stewart takes Kostopolous' spot next year.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote