HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MSGHD on Directv

Old
04-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Ranger Fan in Utah

vCash: 500
MSGHD on Directv

I'm hoping someone here can answer this for me. I have the NHL Center Ice subscription through Directv. For the first half of this season I could watch the Rangers in HD on MSGHD.

For the last couple of months or so and including the first playoff game, the MSGHD feed has gone dark right at game time. I can get the pregame show and postgame as well but the game itself is not available.

My choices are to watch the MSG SD feed or watch the other team's HD telecast. I'd really like to watch the game in HD and listen to Sam and Joe but this hasn't been an option lately.

Does anyone know why this occurs? It's not like the game is blacked out, just the MSGHD feed.

Of course there isn't anyone locally that seems to know so I thought I'd check here.

TIA.

Ranger Fan in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Lightbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Fan in Utah View Post
I'm hoping someone here can answer this for me. I have the NHL Center Ice subscription through Directv. For the first half of this season I could watch the Rangers in HD on MSGHD.

For the last couple of months or so and including the first playoff game, the MSGHD feed has gone dark right at game time. I can get the pregame show and postgame as well but the game itself is not available.

My choices are to watch the MSG SD feed or watch the other team's HD telecast. I'd really like to watch the game in HD and listen to Sam and Joe but this hasn't been an option lately.

Does anyone know why this occurs? It's not like the game is blacked out, just the MSGHD feed.

Of course there isn't anyone locally that seems to know so I thought I'd check here.

TIA.

I had the same problem when I lived in South Jersey outside the NYC market. This is the general response Ive come across when researched:

Hello everyone:

I just had a long but somewhat informative discussion with tech support at Directv. From what they said there seem to a be a disagreement between the NHL and MSG which started on Jan 22, 2009 that prevents DTV from providing HD broadcasts of any NHL game feeds from MSG (Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Sabres) on Center Ice.

Lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 02:20 PM
Melrose_Jr.

I don't have DirecTV, but I'm guessing it's so Cablevision subscribers have to get their HD through Dolan instead of being able to slap a dish on the roof. I doubt he cares that anyone out of market suffers.

I get CI through my cable operator and we don't get pre OR post game coverage. Is that standard for CI on DirecTV?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Geddy Lee

I have the same problem down here in Tampa. My guess would be some kind of contract problem.

I watch the MSG feed. I cant put up with the other play by play. Although the Bruins play by play is really good.

Sometimes I watch the HD feed and listen to the Rangers radio feed. The TV is around 3-4 secounds behind the radio though.

Geddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Ranger Fan in Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightbringer View Post
I had the same problem when I lived in South Jersey outside the NYC market. This is the general response Ive come across when researched:

Hello everyone:

I just had a long but somewhat informative discussion with tech support at Directv. From what they said there seem to a be a disagreement between the NHL and MSG which started on Jan 22, 2009 that prevents DTV from providing HD broadcasts of any NHL game feeds from MSG (Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Sabres) on Center Ice.
Thanks so much for the info. That sounds like about the right timeframe for this so I think this is it. I hope this is something that gets resolved soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I don't have DirecTV, but I'm guessing it's so Cablevision subscribers have to get their HD through Dolan instead of being able to slap a dish on the roof. I doubt he cares that anyone out of market suffers.

I get CI through my cable operator and we don't get pre OR post game coverage. Is that standard for CI on DirecTV?
I actually tune directly to MSGHD and not the channels set aside for the CI package. I believe if I didn't subscribe to CI the channel would go dark during the game as it does now but in that case I wouldn't be able to watch the SD feed or the other team's channel either.

Ranger Fan in Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 03:54 PM
blue2noise

Whats odd is i live in the NY area, have DirecTV and the MSG and MSG+ HD channels are working with no problem. Not through CI though

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 03:59 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Whats odd is i live in the NY area, have DirecTV and the MSG and MSG+ HD channels are working with no problem. Not through CI though
uhh the 2nd post in the thread says

"
Hello everyone:

I just had a long but somewhat informative discussion with tech support at Directv. From what they said there seem to a be a disagreement between the NHL and MSG which started on Jan 22, 2009 that prevents DTV from providing HD broadcasts of any NHL game feeds from MSG (Rangers, Devils, Islanders, Sabres) on Center Ice."

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:10 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddy Lee View Post
Although the Bruins play by play is really good.
I disagree, listening to Jack Edwards is like stabbing my ears

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

I know the reason why this is.

I have iO TV (Cablevision) on long island. Cablevision as most of you probably know, owns MSG.

When I'm watching MSG, there are commercials advertising Cablevision that say "The only place to get all 9 NY-area teams in HD!"

Seems like they want the monopoly on high definition offerings in the area.

I go to school in upstate NY and TimeWarner does not carry MSGHD at all... only MSG and MSG+. And the Sabres blackout the Rangers some nights when the Knicks are playing.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 09:07 PM
truebluegoalie

The thing that I don't understand is that it would make more sense to black it out within the IO viewing area.

I live in VA, I pay Direct TV for CI and the sports pack so I can get MSG for the pre/post and other shows. I upgraded to HD specifically to watch sports. Now I can't watch the Rangers.

I don't have the option to sign up for IO so I am screwed. Just black it out in the IO viewing area, that makes more sense, hopefully (for those of us outside the service area) we will see that next year.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Deric

All the answers you're looking for are in this thread here ---> http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=151378

Deric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Ron Jovi

Dolan is a greedy creep. Total BS!
I'm in DC & have DTV/CI to watch NYR & MSG is the only network blacking out HD broadcasts that I am aware of. I watch alot of games & have not seen that happen anywhere else.

Last night MSG HD had the rebroadcast of the game - IN HD!!!
Why? it was the NBC feed.
Dolan sux

Ron Jovi is offline   Reply With Quote