HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gilroy To NYR

Old
04-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

vCash: 500
So much for Vancouver or the Lears

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:30 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

TSN - Boston University free agent defenceman Matt Gilroy has signed a two-year deal worth $3.5 million with the New York Rangers.

That means 1.75M

Ok, i dont have a problem with that..I thought he was going to get 3 million from someone. Good signing by Slats

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

someone needs to put a leash on sather

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:34 PM
richardn

If it is 1.75 million per year it is a fair deal as that is what I wanted Burke to sign him to originally. 3 million was to high and I think that is what took so long for him to sign. I guess he finally realized that Toronto and Vancouver weren't going to over pay so he signed with the team he wanted to play for more.

Good signing by the Rangers, I wonder does this mean the end UFA dman Paul Mara or will the Rangers some how be able to move Redden.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
Eh, at $1.75 mill per year that's not so bad. If he can't hack it, he can go play in Hartford, the Rangers don't really care about the extra money.

It's entirely possible he's a replacement for Mara on the third pairing next year (at least in theory), which makes him cheaper than mara by $150k or so.

edit: hell, even if they keep Mara and pair him with Gilroy, that's still cheaper than the blueline they started with this year (Kalinin at $2 mill or whatever)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:38 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
why would that be...because Lou lost out on yet another sought after UFA that would've helped the worst prospect pool in the entire NHL tremendously???

there is zero downside to this signing as the kid is a very well respected character player who adds offense from the blueline which is a premium.

He is 24 on a 2 yr deal at 1.75 per which means he'll still be restricted at the end of the deal and if he couldn't make the cut with the big boys he'll be making 1.75 million in Hartford...not a big deal for the Rangers which makes the upside well worth it.

JR#9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:44 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Will be an interesting off Season in NYR land. Want to see who is kept, and who walks. Or maybe offer-sheeted (Dubi/Callahan/zherdev) otherwise right there is a good $8mil. I also think the Rangers should Keep Mara. he is not the one i would want to see leave if i were a Rangers fan. he has been very goo dthis season for them. I can see them letting Morris walk though.

JA 11, How is he restricted if he was signed as a UFA? not being a jerk, is this true though? i would think he would be an UFA after too.

Last edited by JRZ DVLS: 04-17-2009 at 04:50 PM.
JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:45 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
pretty high in my mind for a 25 year old rookie and unproven commodity...

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Eh, at $1.75 mill per year that's not so bad. If he can't hack it, he can go play in Hartford, the Rangers don't really care about the extra money.

It's entirely possible he's a replacement for Mara on the third pairing next year (at least in theory), which makes him cheaper than mara by $150k or so.

edit: hell, even if they keep Mara and pair him with Gilroy, that's still cheaper than the blueline they started with this year (Kalinin at $2 mill or whatever)
at 1.75 its not bad, and i checked, i think he is exempt from waivers for 2 years or 60 nhl gp. but still, the rangers are in enough cap trouble the way it is this offseason, why sign another guy to a contract like that who hasnt played a game in the NHL when there are plenty of players that need to be re-signed this offseason?

it doesnt send a good message to the current 6 defenseman on the rangers playoff roster either, knowing one of them likely will sent to the minors or traded in the offseason to make room for gilroy

Old
04-17-2009, 04:49 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Wow the Rangers farm team is going to get a good player next year

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:52 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
at 1.75 its not bad, and i checked, i think he is exempt from waivers for 2 years or 60 nhl gp. but still, the rangers are in enough cap trouble the way it is this offseason, why sign another guy to a contract like that who hasnt played a game in the NHL when there are plenty of players that need to be re-signed this offseason?

it doesnt send a good message to the current 6 defenseman on the rangers playoff roster either, knowing one of them likely will sent to the minors or traded in the offseason to make room for gilroy
one of the top 6 in Morris is definetely not coming back so the "hurt feelings" part is nonsense anyway.

If Lou signed this deal you guys would be doing back flips but since it was Slats getting a guy many teams were after including the Devils(who BTW had to offer comprable $$ if they were one of the teams at the end) but because it's Slats he needs a leash..

like I said, well worth the upside..if he makes it you have a 25 yr old offensive dman who by all accounts has tons of characters..if he doesn't he collects his 3.5 in the AHL and has no impact of the NYR's cap..win-win.

Old
04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the CBA says a 24 year old must sign a one year entry level contract, why didnt gilroy have to? is it because he wasnt drafted?

please dont respond by saying because he was a free agent, cause that doesnt explain it

Old
04-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
Will be an interesting off Season in NYR land. Want to see who is kept, and who walks. Or maybe offer-sheeted (Dubi/Callahan/zherdev) otherwise right there is a good $8mil. I also think the Rangers should Keep Mara. he is not the one i would want to see leave if i were a Rangers fan. he has been very goo dthis season for them. I can see them letting Morris walk though.

JA 11, How is he restricted if he was signed as a UFA? not being a jerk, is this true though? i would think he would be an UFA after too.
He will be a RFA because he won't be 27 when his contract expires, and he certainly won't play 7 NHL seasons either.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:58 PM
GAGLine

Quote:

Mara and Morris are both UFAs next year. I'm sure they both know the Rangers' cap situation, or at least their agents do. They are both playing for their next contract regardless. Girardi and Staal aren't going anywhere, and likely neither is Redden due to his contract. So that leaves Rozy, but he already the most likely to be moved to create cap space. I don't see this really changing that.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 04:59 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA#11 View Post
one of the top 6 in Morris is definetely not coming back so the "hurt feelings" part is nonsense anyway.

If Lou signed this deal you guys would be doing back flips but since it was Slats getting a guy many teams were after including the Devils(who BTW had to offer comprable $$ if they were one of the teams at the end) but because it's Slats he needs a leash..

like I said, well worth the upside..if he makes it you have a 25 yr old offensive dman who by all accounts has tons of characters..if he doesn't he collects his 3.5 in the AHL and has no impact of the NYR's cap..win-win.
im really not going to respond to you if you keep trying to bring the devils into this. we all have been down that road before, and know how it will turn out.

all i was saying, which was a legit concern for the rangers and many ranger fans shared the same feeling, was that with all the upcoming FA's and RFA this offseason the rangers have, and all the big contracts, why would sather make another signing?

Old
04-17-2009, 05:00 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
He will be a RFA because he won't be 27 when his contract expires, and he certainly won't play 7 NHL seasons either.
I thought that too, but since we signed him as a UFA, how can he then become an RFA?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:04 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
im really not going to respond to you if you keep trying to bring the devils into this. we all have been down that road before, and know how it will turn out.

all i was saying, which was a legit concern for the rangers and many ranger fans shared the same feeling, was that with all the upcoming FA's and RFA this offseason the rangers have, and all the big contracts, why would sather make another signing?
Because if he turns out to be a bust, they can just bury him in the minors? He's not subject to waivers.

If he turns into a solid player, he's a relative bargain at 1.75 mil.

The funny thing is, this move could essentially save the Rangers money next year. Opening night this year, the Rangers 3rd pairing (Mara/Kalinin essentially), made 4.05 million combined.

If any of MDZ/Sangs/Sauer/etc prove worthy of a 3rd pairing role next year, their combined contracts with Gilroy would be a minimum of 1.5 million dollars less then the Mara/Kalinin ones.

And, the Rangers current 3rd pairing (Mara/Morris), is making almost 6 million. You get the point.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:05 PM
azrok22

He'll be a RFA (for one year) after his 2 year deal ends... just like Dan Girardi is a RFA even though he was signed as an UFA... and like Blake Wheeler will be an RFA at the end of his deal, even though he was signed as an UFA.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:07 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
Wow the Rangers farm team is going to get a good player next year
TSN is reporting that it is a ONE WAY contract!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=275400

thrillhous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:10 PM
JR#9*

Quote:

I only mention the Devils because you guys were after him likely at the same money and had Lou signed this deal you and the other Devil fans would be applauding him for a great move with really zero downside as he can be sent to the AHL but because he chose the Rangers over the Devils(big suprise!) you come in bashing Slats for the signing.

and I pointed out 3 times why Slats would sign another player despite the cap and the contracts...he added options with potential nice upside that can lead to trades for help in other areas or if all fails he has an easy out.

Last edited by JR#9*: 04-17-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old
04-17-2009, 05:15 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post

You apparently don't know what a one way contract is....

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:15 PM
obsenssive*

Send a message via MSN to obsenssive*
Quote:

All that means is that he's gonna be paid $1.75 million in the AHL if he's down there. One-way/two-way means NOTHING as to where he can play.

obsenssive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Oblivion

Quote:

I believe most people anticipated it would be a one way deal.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:21 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I believe most people anticipated it would be a one way deal.
I see. Guess I haven't been following this close enough, I definitely didn't.

Guessing this will make one of Sanguinetti or Del Zotto more expendable for the Rags, maybe try to get a scoring winger.

thrillhous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 05:21 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
'Gilroy to Flyers or Hawks'

Bravo, Eklund, Bravo.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote