HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bye Bye Knuble

Old
04-17-2009, 10:30 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
The Mike Knuble "crosscheck". Flyers fans are blaming him for it.

I feel as speechless as I was when I heard Carcillo got suspended. More.

Knuble's "crosscheck" was the absolute most basic physical play you'll ever see. He was buried in the slot as usual, battling the defenseman for territory. He went down, on his stomach, not one of his limbs even trying to prevent him from falling flat on his stomach. And stayed there.

Go back just 15 years and you can watch a Cam Neely commercial where Cam explains if you're in the slot and NOT feeling a constant barrage of crosschecks to your lower back (trying to knock you out of the slot), you're not doing your job. And he didn't mean it as some tough-guy exaggeration. That's just the way hockey is played, even in the New NHL. Watch some tapes from this season if you're not sure.

It was one of the worst calls made this year. Definitely in the top 50, given the timing and the situation.
Knuble gets penalized for this over and over and over

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:35 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
The thing that irritated me the most tonight was the fact Fluery left thousands of rebounds and we didnt get to any of them. Oh well, they played a great game though. **** it.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 10:37 PM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:

Knuble's "crosscheck" was the absolute most basic physical play you'll ever see. He was buried in the slot as usual, battling the defenseman for territory. He went down, on his stomach, not one of his limbs even trying to prevent him from falling flat on his stomach. And stayed there.

Go back just 15 years and you can watch a Cam Neely commercial where Cam explains if you're in the slot and NOT feeling a constant barrage of crosschecks to your lower back (trying to knock you out of the slot), you're not doing your job. And he didn't mean it as some tough-guy exaggeration. That's just the way hockey is played, even in the New NHL. Watch some tapes from this season if you're not sure.

It was one of the worst calls made this year. Definitely in the top 50, given the timing and the situation.
They played a game called hockey 15 years ago. Now they play basketball on skates. Did Orpik dive? Yes. But that play is going to be called 9 out of 10 times in this version of the game. Pens are aloud to dive. I would have called 2 and 2 myself but ull never get that call especially if its a flyer and pen involved. Dumb play on Knuble, even dumber on Giroux(I didnt get upset I just shook my head like, "well I cant say anything here), and if Carter buries that ENG we win (then again the Pens missed the SAME opprotunity in the 1st period. **** happens) Idont know who to blame, but its not Carter.

Old
04-17-2009, 10:38 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Tough breaks all year. Maybe its just not our year? It happens. Time to forget the past and pull out a couple at home. lets go Flyers!

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 11:32 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Knuble gets penalized for this over and over and over
Exactly. And he until he learns (which at this point in his career, I doubt he will), there is no need for him on this team anymore. Hopefully with Hartnell, there is time to turn around the stupidity and he can be a competent replacement for Knuble along the boards and in front of the net without the stupid penalties. And yes, there is a difference between playing hard and taking penalties that are bonehead and you know will get called as soon as you commit them.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Pope Pogo II

Send a message via AIM to Pope Pogo II Send a message via Yahoo to Pope Pogo II
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Giroux's penalty was more unlucky than stupidity. The stick breaks about 15-20% of the time on that type of play. If it doesn't break, no penalty.

Giroux and Knuble are completely different situations. I never said about getting rid of Claude at all. I know my initial response was based on anger after a frustrating game, but thinking it out, Knuble takes many bad penalties, most of which cancel out prime scoring opportunities. He is also old and only declining. IMO he's going to be slower next year and his role will be reduced on whichever team he plays for. But he's not going to ask for less.

Edit: Therefore, it's been great having Mike on the team. He gave his heart at times when others didn't, but his time is up here. I appreciate how he played as a Flyers, but it's time to move on.
Unlucky? He slashed the stick out of his ****ing hands!!!! Hahaha!

Pope Pogo II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 11:37 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Wow. Knuble was mostly invisible in this game. That is of course until he took that awful penalty. Sure Orpik went down easy, but Knuble made that impossible not to call a penalty on.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2009, 11:48 PM
TheDrizzle81

Both OT penalties were textbook calls in the new NHL. Period.

Old
04-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Zach6668

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Both teams played their hearts out. Knuble crosschecked Orpik when the Flyers had the puck and the ref was right there. In an overtime game with the puck on the powerplay, that is something you can never do. 2 Powerplay goals from the Pens tonight and that sealed game 2. If the Flyers come out and play the way they did besides penalties they should be able to get both home games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Both OT penalties were textbook calls in the new NHL. Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
Wow. Knuble was mostly invisible in this game. That is of course until he took that awful penalty. Sure Orpik went down easy, but Knuble made that impossible not to call a penalty on.
Reasonable perspective from a Pens fan here:

I think that Knuble call never gets called if they don't call Gill 90 seconds earlier for what was a very similar play. I think Gill's call is a decent call, maybe Knuble's is a bit softer. In OT in the playoffs, I'm fine with neither of them being called, but IMO, if you call one, I think you have to call the other.

The Giroux thing was just a bonehead play. Sure, he got "unlucky" that the stick broke, but there's still no reason for him to even slash Kunitz there. He had long since passed the puck, and was just skating into the zone. Obviously once Giroux eliminates Kunitz by chopping his stick in half, that's an automatic penalty.

I hate to see a great game end this way, though. You guys played really hard, about exactly how I was expecting this series to be. I think, it was pretty close to an even game, though, and the Flyers just missed a chance or two to bury us when it was 2-1.

Good luck back in Philly.

Zach6668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 12:07 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach6668 View Post
Reasonable perspective from a Pens fan here:

I think that Knuble call never gets called if they don't call Gill 90 seconds earlier for what was a very similar play. I think Gill's call is a decent call, maybe Knuble's is a bit softer. In OT in the playoffs, I'm fine with neither of them being called, but IMO, if you call one, I think you have to call the other.

The Giroux thing was just a bonehead play. Sure, he got "unlucky" that the stick broke, but there's still no reason for him to even slash Kunitz there. He had long since passed the puck, and was just skating into the zone. Obviously once Giroux eliminates Kunitz by chopping his stick in half, that's an automatic penalty.

I hate to see a great game end this way, though. You guys played really hard, about exactly how I was expecting this series to be. I think, it was pretty close to an even game, though, and the Flyers just missed a chance or two to bury us when it was 2-1.

Good luck back in Philly.

I like you. I want to bring you home and let you **** my sister (5 internet points if you name that movie!)

In the playoffs it is a weak call, but Im sorry, Knuble extended his arms and got Orpik in the back, and Orpik sold it well. I love Knuble but that was a bad play. After Gills call your right theres no way they let it go. Id rather they let em play in OT(unless its rally obvious SEE GIROUX) but what ya gonna do, the Flyers shoulda never been in OT in the first place but w/e

Giroux finally looked like a rookie on that play. I dont know how anyone can turn that call into a conspiracy. He broke dudes stick in half. He earned that 2.

Im not gonna run those 2 out of town for it either.

Old
04-18-2009, 12:45 AM
XS Chop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
I like you. I want to bring you home and let you **** my sister (5 internet points if you name that movie!)

In the playoffs it is a weak call, but Im sorry, Knuble extended his arms and got Orpik in the back, and Orpik sold it well. I love Knuble but that was a bad play. After Gills call your right theres no way they let it go. Id rather they let em play in OT(unless its rally obvious SEE GIROUX) but what ya gonna do, the Flyers shoulda never been in OT in the first place but w/e

Giroux finally looked like a rookie on that play. I dont know how anyone can turn that call into a conspiracy. He broke dudes stick in half. He earned that 2.

Im not gonna run those 2 out of town for it either.
Ha, too easy. And way too many great quotes to even start. I downloaded the script somewhere, as great to read as it is to watch.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 01:16 AM
sg12lw

1st of all, Knuble played great tonight....dominated down low all game, if you cant see that then you shouldnt be allowed to watch hockey

his penalty was him doing the exact same play he does(and players do to him) everyshift of every game hes ever played....unfortunately it came right after a marginal call against pit, and when orpik went down the ref had to call it....was it a dumb penalty givin the circumstances, obviously, but it was also just a tough break for mike

giroux got a bad break(no pun intended), plain and simple

carter shouldnt have gotten a penalty, but for **** sakes jeff bury the muther ****ing puck....anybody else know the game was over when jeff missed that?? you could just feel it

and people ripping alberts all over this board are blind....hes the only defenseman we have with a pair of balls, and he is very solid for 3rd pair guy, so quit *****ing about alberts bc we have much bigger problems...its too bad vs announcers never mention any flyer hits, bc alberts laid out 7 or 8 guys today, and the first game but got no credit for it at all

holmgren's comments after the game were right on...we seem way too okay with losing, at least the players do....i still feel sick to my stomach

on the bright side, knuble carter and giroux will come back with a fire lit under their ass on sunday....hopefully the rest of the boys join them

p.s. i have a feeling carcillo is going to be a huge factor next game(assuming he plays)...i just hope its in a good way

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 01:49 AM
DayoftheGreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
We close it at 1,000 posts. There is a Part 2.
Thanks for the clarification. Most forums I've posted at close at 2000, so I was confused.

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:13 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I hope he's not back.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:37 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Orpik flopped

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:41 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
The loss wasn't just because of Knuble.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:47 AM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Orpik flopped
dude give it up, everyone who thinks orpik flopped is just being a b***h about losing. it was clearly a cross check and clearly a slash and the flyers deserved to be on the PK

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Hubey1327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gambini View Post
1st of all, Knuble played great tonight....dominated down low all game, if you cant see that then you shouldnt be allowed to watch hockey

his penalty was him doing the exact same play he does(and players do to him) everyshift of every game hes ever played....unfortunately it came right after a marginal call against pit, and when orpik went down the ref had to call it....was it a dumb penalty givin the circumstances, obviously, but it was also just a tough break for mike

giroux got a bad break(no pun intended), plain and simple

carter shouldnt have gotten a penalty, but for **** sakes jeff bury the muther ****ing puck....anybody else know the game was over when jeff missed that?? you could just feel it

and people ripping alberts all over this board are blind....hes the only defenseman we have with a pair of balls, and he is very solid for 3rd pair guy, so quit *****ing about alberts bc we have much bigger problems...its too bad vs announcers never mention any flyer hits, bc alberts laid out 7 or 8 guys today, and the first game but got no credit for it at all

holmgren's comments after the game were right on...we seem way too okay with losing, at least the players do....i still feel sick to my stomach

on the bright side, knuble carter and giroux will come back with a fire lit under their ass on sunday....hopefully the rest of the boys join them

p.s. i have a feeling carcillo is going to be a huge factor next game(assuming he plays)...i just hope its in a good way
def agree with the alberts comment. he is throwing people around out there and that is exactly wat flyers fans wanted out of him. he is a big physical d-man and shouldnt have to show any finesse. people are just nit picking at anything to complain about.

Hubey1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:02 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Knuble stays

**** yourself
I'm with this. The loss isn't on Knuble entirely. The entire team had a ton of mistakes, just Knuble's and Giroux's were the last. So he deserve all the blame for it? No.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Newhabfan

Habs fan here.

From what I saw yesterday, the Flyers played an awesome game and had victory at the end of their fingers. The Pens looked like a machine at least on offense and they still needed a lucky deflection to tie it.

Remember last year after game 1 you lost against us on a lucky OT goal - you managed to come back from it. I have confidence you can turn this machine back too. You are just that kind of team.

It was Real Hockey versus Show Hockey. And I cheer for Real Hockey right now (that is the Flyers)

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:18 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Habs fan here.

From what I saw yesterday, the Flyers played an awesome game and had victory at the end of their fingers. The Pens looked like a machine at least on offense and they still needed a lucky deflection to tie it.

Remember last year after game 1 you lost against us on a lucky OT goal - you managed to come back from it. I have confidence you can turn this machine back too. You are just that kind of team.

It was Real Hockey versus Show Hockey. And I cheer for Real Hockey right now (that is the Flyers)
Don't give us hope! It'll only make the sting worse!

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Forsbag

Quote:

I agree 100%. Pens were getting away with holding and late hits all night. Bottom line is NHL wants SID in the finals and they are going to make sure it happens. As long as he is the most popular player and increases their overall fan base they could give two ***** about other fans. I actually predicted the two final power palys but the 5 on 3 even surprised me.

Forsbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:03 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsbag View Post
I agree 100%. Pens were getting away with holding and late hits all night. Bottom line is NHL wants SID in the finals and they are going to make sure it happens. As long as he is the most popular player and increases their overall fan base they could give two ***** about other fans. I actually predicted the two final power palys but the 5 on 3 even surprised me.
but he's not...

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Flyersfan1216

Get rid of this guy. Can't skate. Always fumbles the puck. For a guy with size never hits and barely forechecks. His one job is to stick his big self in front of the net and blows it by taking dumb penalties.

Bye bye

Flyersfan1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 11:09 AM
Pope Pogo II

Send a message via AIM to Pope Pogo II Send a message via Yahoo to Pope Pogo II
I really want to find the thread where everybody was going nuts about how much they wanted to keep Knuble. I bet there are a few names from here in there.

Pope Pogo II is offline   Reply With Quote