HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playoffs Game 2 --- April 17, 2009 --- PART 2

Old
04-18-2009, 08:16 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
We had it. We HAD IT. Carter you had half the frickin net and you put it right on Fleury's toe. That was your easiest goal of the year. Game three is an absolute, must win and they have to eliminate the penalties in ALL 60 minutes.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:20 AM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Orpik still dove

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:22 AM
RoDu

The guys on CBC pointed out why Carter didn't bury that puck. He did something very basic wrong, something they teach you not to do at a young age. He skated beyond the goal line, instead of stopping in front of it. If he stops he has a one timer instead of a shot which he has to reach way out and try and get a slower shot on net

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 08:24 AM
HoverCarle*

can someone make a YT of the Carter "penalty" and the Orpik flop?

Old
04-18-2009, 09:11 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I find it hilarious that the Flyers OTF Twitter posted this:

Quote:
Crosby complaining to the refs again.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
I have no problem with Knuble getting a penalty but the call on Giroux was disgusting. THAT is the type of call that should be let go IN OVERTIME especially when its going to produce a 5 on 3....correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this a one handed slash? It was such a weak slash that I wouldn't be surprised if that stick was going to break already on the next shot/pass whatever.
So basically, what you're saying is that the defensive player should be allowed to slash an offensive teams players stick in two without being penalized? Wow. Again, if it happened to a Flyer, people would be up in arms if there was no call.

Some fans here really need to take off the orange tinted glasses and look at the big picture.

As for the nature of the slash, I believe it was of the two handed variety.

IMO, the right call was made. It just sucks that it was against one of our own.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
You don't call penalties in overtime.

****, you just do not do it. What has the NHL come to?

I have so much alcohol in me that I can barely think, but I still can't sleep.

I dunno, the Carter call was absolutely ridiculous (Staal grabbed his stick) and as for killing off the pen, the Pens got a lucky bounce, can't really do anything about that.

Also, Richie getting slashed by Malkin on the 5 on 3, nothing there? Okay.

I like the effort we showed tonight.

Just so, so, so, so, so heartbroken and angry.

I dunno.

Just don't know.

- They don't understand playoff hockey. To see their ridiculous assertions about "automatic" calls in playoff OT is pathetic. I was a bit ashamed when Lupul scored that PP goal last year. I was pissed off when Gill got the penalty.

You don't call penalties in OT unless it's a clear scoring chance. You just don't.

To see Pitt fans defending tonight's officiating performance (no, I don't believe in a conspiracy, they're just incompetent) is pathetic.

I dunno. I'm not angry anymore, just incredibly, incredibly frustrated. Just feel drained.
They send the message to everyone that they call them in OT. Do they let a lot of stuff go? Yes. Were the three penalties called in OT legit penalties? Yes.

The Flyers had the game they wanted it called.

Giroux breaking Kuntiz's stick is an automatic rule there's no subjectivity. You can't slash a guy's stick and break it. It's a rule I'm not fond of, but in there regardless.

For Knuble, did Orpik fall like a ton of bricks? Yes. Did Knuble crosscheck him square in the numbers? Yes. The Flyers got the power play so our guys have to be smarter than to expose themselves when they're on the power play in playoff overtime.

I was more upset about those than I was about the more borderline penalty on Carter.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:40 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
So basically, what you're saying is that the defensive player should be allowed to slash an offensive teams players stick in two without being penalized? Wow. Again, if it happened to a Flyer, people would be up in arms if there was no call.

Some fans here really need to take off the orange tinted glasses and look at the big picture.

When sticks break with the frequency that they do, that call needs to be subjective. It's totally arbitrary whether your going to get a penalty for something that happens 50 times a game and otherwise would go uncalled

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Orpik still dove
And players will continue to dive until the NHL does something about it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:41 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:

It was a slash, it just sucks that composite sticks break, because he didn't hit Knuitz' hands or anything

Old
04-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
When sticks break with the frequency that they do, that call needs to be subjective. It's totally arbitrary whether your going to get a penalty for something that happens 50 times a game and otherwise would go uncalled
Sure the sticks break rather easily, but slashing a players stick away from puck as his team has possession of puck and gaining the offensive zone = penalty.

Quote:
It was a slash, it just sucks that composite sticks break, because he didn't hit Knuitz' hands or anything
You don't have to hit the players hands for it to be a slash.

Old
04-18-2009, 09:49 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2273
The NHL is becoming over-officiated. It isn't the officials fault, generally. When the Flyers beat the Rangers in the afternoon game a few weeks back, I didn't like the call against the NY player (misconduct). To naive outsiders, we come off as having sour grapes. Many of us have blasted the NHL when necessary throughout the year, even when the calls were in the Flyers' favor (as is evidenced in the Rangers' game). We lost a full season of the NHL and in part we get ticky-tack penalties deciding crucial games. If I decide not to watch a game, it isn't because the Flyers were screwed, it is because the NHL became overly aggressive in that aspect.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:50 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Did you feel this way when we were awarded the PP in OT?
Yeah, I did. Obviously I have no way of proving this, but I did start cursing when they called the penalty on Orpik because that's a box of worms that just shouldn't been opened unless the penalty is denying a legitimate scoring chance and none of the penalties awarded fit that bill.

If it's a scoring chance, then you have to call it. But let's be honest here, none of the penalties called (Gill's, Knuble's, Giroux's) affected the overall pattern of play whatsoever.

In regular time, you call it.

In playoff OT, you don't.

And Amateur Hour, again, impossible for me to back this up, but I was pretty upset when they called that penalty in Game 7 that gave us the PP, you just don't do it.

EDIT: I should add that the thing that gets my goat is that when Richie was trying to walk to the front of the net with the puck (scoring chance), he was getting hooked and held by 2 Pens with no call.

I was okay with that although it was annoying, but then you see the Pens in 1:30 of 5 on 3 5 minutes later.

That's just incompetence and it's BS.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Yeah, I did. Obviously I have no way of proving this, but I did start cursing when they called the penalty on Orpik because that's a box of worms that just shouldn't been opened unless the penalty is denying a legitimate scoring chance and none of the penalties awarded fit that bill.
I see.

Quote:
If it's a scoring chance, then you have to call it. But let's be honest here, none of the penalties called (Gill's, Knuble's, Giroux's) affected the overall pattern of play whatsoever.

And Amateur Hour, again, impossible for me to back this up, but I was pretty upset when they called that penalty in Game 7 that gave us the PP, you just don't do it.
If these are your feelings, then the Giroux penalty was the right call.

Old
04-18-2009, 09:59 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The NHL is becoming over-officiated. It isn't the officials fault, generally. When the Flyers beat the Rangers in the afternoon game a few weeks back, I didn't like the call against the NY player (misconduct). To naive outsiders, we come off as having sour grapes. Many of us have blasted the NHL when necessary throughout the year, even when the calls were in the Flyers' favor (as is evidenced in the Rangers' game). We lost a full season of the NHL and in part we get ticky-tack penalties deciding crucial games. If I decide not to watch a game, it isn't because the Flyers were screwed, it is because the NHL became overly aggressive in that aspect.
Quote:

EDIT: I should add that the thing that gets my goat is that when Richie was trying to walk to the front of the net with the puck (scoring chance), he was getting hooked and held by 2 Pens with no call.

I was okay with that although it was annoying, but then you see the Pens in 1:30 of 5 on 3 5 minutes later.

That's just incompetence and it's BS.
I think it's definitely sad to see the policies of officiating in today's game. The reason i think it makes perfect sense to put the whistles away in overtime is because of the shear amount of stuff that NHL refs miss on a play to play basis that could easily be a penalty. It's ok in regular time or the regular season that this stuff be called because in a large sample its going to even out. When it comes to the playoff overtime however, theres no time for these calls to balance themselves out. The policy of practically needing to murder someone to get a penalty in playoff overtime was just way more fair to both teams and a lot better for the fans to get a higher level of excitement out of the game.

And now you have the automatic calls like puck over the glass, automatic stick break, anytime a player falls, arm going up after a player jerks his head or shakes his hand - it's pretty obvious the NHL wants this game played differently than in the past. None of this really affects much 5 on 5 so the only explanation is that they just want power plays to show off your prototypical "new" NHL players.

Pretty frustrating as a traditional hockey fan

Old
04-18-2009, 10:00 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
You don't have to hit the players hands for it to be a slash.
No, but there was a day when that slash to the stick needed to be an overhead tomahawk to get registered as one. Different times

Old
04-18-2009, 10:01 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
If these are your feelings, then the Giroux penalty was the right call.
Huh? It was a 3 on 3 into the Flyers zone.

Kunitz goes and gets a stick, takes 10 seconds max.

Old
04-18-2009, 10:02 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
And now you have the automatic calls like puck over the glass, automatic stick break, anytime a player falls, arm going up after a player jerks his head or shakes his hand - it's pretty obvious the NHL wants this game played differently than in the past. None of this really affects much 5 on 5 so the only explanation is that they just want power plays to show off your prototypical "new" NHL players.

Summing it up a lot better than I did.

Old
04-18-2009, 10:08 AM
HoverCarle*

The only difference with Gill's is that the puck was in front of Briere.

Old
04-18-2009, 10:11 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
I think it's definitely sad to see the policies of officiating in today's game. The reason i think it makes perfect sense to put the whistles away in overtime is because of the shear amount of stuff that NHL refs miss on a play to play basis that could easily be a penalty. It's ok in regular time or the regular season that this stuff be called because in a large sample its going to even out. When it comes to the playoff overtime however, theres no time for these calls to balance themselves out. The policy of practically needing to murder someone to get a penalty in playoff overtime was just way more fair to both teams and a lot better for the fans to get a higher level of excitement out of the game.

Can I copy this and send it to the NHL via their "contact us" feature? I'm sure it will not impact anything but I'd like to do it anyways if you don't mind. If you do I understand

Edit: Or better yet can you send it to them. I think people should let them now how they feel about all these rules because I wonder if they really know how the average fan feels- though they probably don't care. On the other hand if lots of people voice their opinion it might have an impact.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:18 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Sorry guys when you take a textbook penalty it has to be called. Its 2009, and we all need to start living in it. They've been making both calls like this for 3 or 4 years now, this shouldnt be a suprise to anyone. Are the rules too ticky tack and stupid, yes, but those are the rules. i personally dont like them, I like the old style of hockey myself. The Derian Hatcher style where you can punish guys. But its not like that anymore. Just like bench clearing brawls. its a thing of the past. A guy like Knuble should have picked up on this by now. Cross checking a guy in the back is a penalty in 2009. Slashing a dudes stick in half is also a penalty in 2009. Been that way since 2005. Girouxs penalty is another reason I hate composite sticks, and I agree a play like Girouxs is subjective, BUT the call is made almost everytime. Its in black and white, you cant do that. If the change the speed limit on I-95 from 65 to 55, does it make it right to continue to go 65 4 years later when you get a speeding ticket? No. Rules are rules. Play disciplined hockey. This has been a MAJOR issue all year, and its now catching up to these guys. 2 games they lost because they take stupid ****ing penalties.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:31 AM
flyers ltd

Quote:
can someone make a YT of the Carter "penalty" and the Orpik flop?
Here is the phantom penalty on Carter at about 1:10. Don't watch if you haven't been given a clean bill of health by your cardiologist in the last six months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxGzfwKDj6w

Last edited by flyers ltd: 04-18-2009 at 10:36 AM.
flyers ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:37 AM
PhilaFlyers

Horrible call on Carter.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Amaro out

vCash: 230
We can talk about the refs all we want, the problem with this team is they are not scoring goals. Other than that 8 goal game against the Leafs a couple weeks ago, this team can't score. Marty has played well, but the offense hasn't come through.

856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2009, 10:51 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by letitrain View Post
We can talk about the refs all we want, the problem with this team is they are not scoring goals. Other than that 8 goal game against the Leafs a couple weeks ago, this team can't score. Marty has played well, but the offense hasn't come through.
I cant tell youthe number of rebound opprotunities they missed last night. Fluery left a million rebounds out there and they didnt get to any of them. They either over skated the play not looking for rebounds, or couldnt fight through the pens checking.

They improved from game 1, but they still didnt play hard enough in my eyes to WANT it BAD enough. ****sburgh trailed twice yet they still found a way to win. Carters call was weak but that didnt lose us the game.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote