HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Blackburn not recovering?

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Kafka

vCash: 500
Dan Blackburn not recovering?

I just found that, according to the NY Daily News (Mar 12), Dan Blackburn is slated to have exploratory surgery to determine why a nerve in his shoulder is not regenerating, according to the New York Daily News.

The injury a priori wasn't looking bad, but I'm now wondering if he is able to move is left arm.... anyone has more news about him?

Old
03-21-2004, 06:53 PM
NYR2

I haven't heard anything since JD and Sam mentioned it during a game not long ago, maybe about a week or so ago. It's VERY unfortunate for him to miss an entire season and I'm just praying he'll be playing sometime early next season. I don't think he can afford to lose much more time.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:23 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
If his arm hasn't improved

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2
I haven't heard anything since JD and Sam mentioned it during a game not long ago, maybe about a week or so ago. It's VERY unfortunate for him to miss an entire season and I'm just praying he'll be playing sometime early next season. I don't think he can afford to lose much more time.
all that much if any at all, then the strength that he's lost already and the time it's going to take to get him back in playing shaoe, I wouldn't expect to see him until 05 after playing some in the minors first.

I could be overstating things, but if he hurt it working out, I'm pretty sure that that's an activity that would be off limits so the strength is gone and from that his quickness.

These were supposed to be real key development years for him. It may be time we start looking at Lundqvist, potentially, as the future net-minder here in NY.

Old
03-21-2004, 10:34 PM
in the hall

im not a doctor but from personal relations i can attest that nerve damage is serious and detrimental to an athlete especially.. it can inhibit your strength to the point where you basically need to start from scratch to build up muscle again

this could end up being far more serious then we ever anticipated even career threatening.. i do believe nerve damage is sometimes permanent

Old
03-21-2004, 10:37 PM
Skroob*

wonderful.

The one top-notch prospect we do land whos brain isnt made of silly-putty and had a good chance of not being mind-*****ed by this organization and he gets destroyed physically instead.

Old
03-22-2004, 01:24 AM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
im not a doctor but from personal relations i can attest that nerve damage is serious and detrimental to an athlete especially.. it can inhibit your strength to the point where you basically need to start from scratch to build up muscle again

this could end up being far more serious then we ever anticipated even career threatening.. i do believe nerve damage is sometimes permanent

I'm seriously really worried now.

Old
03-22-2004, 02:08 AM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
hmmm lets see...heres a hypothetical situation.

what if blackburns injury proves to be worse than expected and he thus loses much time and development. whats the smart thing to do? stay with him? go with lundqvist? go for another G in the draft?

Old
03-22-2004, 02:35 AM
Edge

it's all karma.....

Old
03-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shirt
hmmm lets see...heres a hypothetical situation.

what if blackburns injury proves to be worse than expected and he thus loses much time and development. whats the smart thing to do? stay with him? go with lundqvist? go for another G in the draft?
I think the fact that Blackburn has been so slow do recover makes is imperative that we get Lundqvist over here this year. But I would have wanted Lundqvist signed even if Blackburn was doing better. There's nothing that say we cannot have 2 top notch goalie prospects in the organization. They'll wind up pushing each other to improve their play, and the lesser goalie can be traded later (though he won't return much).

Old
03-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak
I think the fact that Blackburn has been so slow do recover makes is imperative that we get Lundqvist over here this year. But I would have wanted Lundqvist signed even if Blackburn was doing better. There's nothing that say we cannot have 2 top notch goalie prospects in the organization. They'll wind up pushing each other to improve their play, and the lesser goalie can be traded later (though he won't return much).
i doubt lundqvist comes here to play in hartford which is where he will play next season. there is going to be a lockout why would he sign a contract for next season knowing the best he could do is play in hartford

Old
03-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
i doubt lundqvist comes here to play in hartford which is where he will play next season. there is going to be a lockout why would he sign a contract for next season knowing the best he could do is play in hartford
If Lundqvist wants to play in the NHL, he's going to have to spend some time in the AHL. Goalies simply don't come over from Europe and play in the NHL. The transition is too difficult. I think Lundqvist would come over and play in Hartford if Sather doesn't go out and sign a mess of free agents. The problem that he had with the organization before is that there would be no chance for advancement. But now the organization is (supposedly) rebuilding and has 2 goalies under contract for next year. One is not recovering well from a serious injury and the other is getting older, is inconsistent, and not well liked by the management. If Lundqvist comes in and impresses, he could move up the depth chart very quickly.

But, yes, I doubt he would come over until the CBA is settled.

Old
03-22-2004, 07:11 PM
trowa

This begs the question...should we draft another goalie in the upcoming draft?

Personally I think Blackburn is the real deal and just needs a goalie coach (Richter?) to help him develop his game. But if this injury is really serious, It would really be a shame to have to spend one of our picks on a goalie.

Old
03-22-2004, 07:55 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowa
This begs the question...should we draft another goalie in the upcoming draft?

Personally I think Blackburn is the real deal and just needs a goalie coach (Richter?) to help him develop his game. But if this injury is really serious, It would really be a shame to have to spend one of our picks on a goalie.
i think that would be jumping the gun.. lets wait a little, blackburns injury does appear to be worse then expected.. lets just wait and see how bad it really is, he is after all still very young

i wouldnt use a high pick to draft a goaltender, we have much bigger needs, specially with lundqvist in the system it almost seems redundant

blackburn needs a lot more then a goaltending coach.. he needs to develop stamina and consistency, that only comes with playing a lot.. i dont think richter would be a good goaltending coach, he is such an athletic goaltender, his success comes from his skills and work ethic, two things that can not be taught

Old
03-22-2004, 08:51 PM
robcav

I would try to sign Lundqvist even if Blackburn is healthy. Dunham who I would like nothing more then to dump, unfortunately is still signed for another year at 3.3 mil. If Blackburn is healthy have Blackburn play the majority of the games and have Dunham as a number 2. Have Lundqvist play in Hartford. If Blackburn not healthy play Dunham and LaBarbara, once Lundqvist adjusts to the smaller ice surface bring him up. I would also not draft a goalie with a high pick we have to many more pressing needs.

Old
03-22-2004, 09:03 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robcav
I would try to sign Lundqvist even if Blackburn is healthy. Dunham who I would like nothing more then to dump, unfortunately is still signed for another year at 3.3 mil. If Blackburn is healthy have Blackburn play the majority of the games and have Dunham as a number 2. Have Lundqvist play in Hartford. If Blackburn not healthy play Dunham and LaBarbara, once Lundqvist adjusts to the smaller ice surface bring him up. I would also not draft a goalie with a high pick we have to many more pressing needs.
rob
i like to think dunham will not be back, he is too inconsistent and he is not the goalie that is going to lead the rangers to the playoffs. if i was sather and what i can see sather doing is buying out dunham and then going after khabi who will be a UFA, we know khabi will want alot of money that tampa may not be willing to give him since they have grahame and depending on how far they go in the playoffs.

being that this team is rebuilding, i feel it is even more improtant to have consistent goaltending, we want to at least have a chance to win

so i think sather's first option is to buy-out dunham, sign khabi and re-sign mclennan

his 2nd option
buy-out dunham, re-sign mclennan and split time with mclennan and a healthy blackie if healthy

his 3rd option
buy-out dunham, re-sign mclennan and split time with mclennan and labarabera or valiquette if blackie isnt healthy

last option bring back dunham and mclennan, which means inconsistent goaltending

obiously there are plenty of other options, but we know sather will at least sign 3-4 ufa's maybe not all big name ufa's but he will go after barnaby, rucinsky, simon, rolston, and his one big ufa who still has a few years of hockey in him and with the right coach could take our team to the playoffs, khabi

we will have to see

Closed Thread