HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ranking national TV broadcasts of NHL games

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 11:30 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

vCash: 500
Ranking national TV broadcasts of NHL games

Thanks to satellite (Center Ice etc.), many of us are able to watch various TV broadcasts of NHL games. All of these Networks have little differences in the way they present the on-ice game (cameras/graphics) as well as the intermission, pre-game and post-game shows.

The purpose of this thread is to analyze the little nuances of the major TV networks in Canada and the USA.

So what do you like and what don't you like (the pros and cons if you will) about the way that different tv networks broadcast NHL games.

Canadian

CBC:
Pro: Satellite Hotstove - even with Strachan, this show rocks!
Con: Worst out-of-town game highlights of all the networks. At best viewers will see a highlight of 1 goal scored in any given game - especially if 2 American teams are playing.

TSN
Pro: Highlights of other games are impecable. McKenzie et al will often comment on trade rumours etc. during intermission shows.
Con: A little too much emphasis on the Canadian teams. For example at this time of year they will often only highlight how the Canadian teams are fairing going into the playoffs.

Sportsnet
Pro: Highlights of the other games are impecable. This is very important for people who are in hockey pools.
Con: At times their choice of games to air can be quetionable.

American

ABC
Pro: Great updates of the other games during the periods. Srolling ticker makes it easy for viewers to keep an eye on the games elsewhere and even get info on who scored the goals.
Con: They shrink too much of the tv screen when showing graphics & the ticker of the out-of-town games.

ESPN
Pro: I like the "who is on the ice" graphic under the score. I like the referees actually saying what the penalty is into a mike.
Con: highlights of other sports during the intermission. Frankly I could care less about the other sports when I'm watching a hockey game.

FOXSportsnet
Pro: The announcers attempt to generate excitement while calling the game.
Con: Some wierd camera angles. The close-up goalie view of the action can often make it hard for viewers to follow the puck.

Old
03-19-2004, 12:32 AM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER
Canadian

CBC:
Con: Worst out-of-town game highlights of all the networks. At best viewers will see a highlight of 1 goal scored in any given game - especially if 2 American teams are playing.

TSN
Pro: Highlights of other games are impecable. McKenzie et al will often comment on trade rumours etc. during intermission shows.
Con: A little too much emphasis on the Canadian teams. For example at this time of year they will often only highlight how the Canadian teams are fairing going into the playoffs.

Sportsnet
Pro: Highlights of the other games are impecable. This is very important for people who are in hockey pools.
Sportsnet doesn't broadcast nationally.

HNIC doesn't spend much time on highlights because a lot of the intermission is taken up by quality programming like Coach's Corner and Sattelite Hotstove. Also little snippits like "Our Game" and "This Day in Hockey" take up time. And of course they rarely update all american matchups. It's HNI*C* after all.

TSN puts too much emphasis on Canadian teams? It's a Canadian network, why wouldn't they concentrate on the teams viewers care about?

I much prefer the CBC over TSN. The CBC has the best broadcasters, the best personalities, the best games, and the best coverage. TSN can't touch them.

Sportsnet was terrible back when they broadcasted nationally. Big improvement when TSN took over last year.

As for American telecasts, they are just brutal. Too many gimmicks, too much flash and dance, not enough hockey. The announcers are horrendous and the in studio guys are hopeless. It's like they run out the CBC "J" team of analysts and hosts. All are Canadian, well at least most, and they are all the rejects not good enough for the top tier Canadian networks. And the perpetual love-in for Peter Forsberg is revolting.

Old
03-19-2004, 12:37 AM
Spezza

I like ESPNs who's on the ice graphics. Eases keeping up with line changes. I do also like the way they show penalties as otherwise your left guessing by what the annoucers think. I think its very useful for the american market as well as they expect to see it (due to Football)

Old
03-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
As for American telecasts, they are just brutal. Too many gimmicks, too much flash and dance, not enough hockey. The announcers are horrendous and the in studio guys are hopeless. It's like they run out the CBC "J" team of analysts and hosts. All are Canadian, well at least most, and they are all the rejects not good enough for the top tier Canadian networks. And the perpetual love-in for Peter Forsberg is revolting.
Unfortunatly, nobody cares about Hockey down here.

Thankfully I have good Cable.

Old
03-19-2004, 04:08 AM
leafaholix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 774EVER
Canadian

CBC:
It's Hockey Night in Canada... that is why they emphasize on the Canadian teams. They have a certain time limit and the vast majority of viewers tune in for the Canadian teams.

Quote:
TSN
Once again, it's a Canadian channel... most people who tune in are fans of the Canadian teams.

Quote:
Sportsnet
The best channel for people in the hockey pools is definately THE SCORE. They list all the players with points after showing clips. Very useful if you're a pooly.

Old
03-19-2004, 07:45 AM
YellHockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix

The best channel for people in the hockey pools is definately THE SCORE. They list all the players with points after showing clips. Very useful if you're a pooly.
I disagree. The NHL Network would be the best channel for people in pools. Tons of highlights, live action and nothing but NHL talk.

Old
03-19-2004, 09:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
First thing is first, ABC is poor if only because they show 4 hockey games a year and then expect to get a big audience for the playoffs, most of whome probably dont know there's games on during the regular season too. However it's the only alternative so I see why it ranks on the top of the list. Not because it's great.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:31 PM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
I disagree. The NHL Network would be the best channel for people in pools. Tons of highlights, live action and nothing but NHL talk.
Sure, but NHL Network is only available on digital cable. The Score, TSN, Sportsnet and the CBC are all basic cable networks.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Hitman*

I know that when I'm watching games fom American regional channels, many of them use a 'behind-the-net' cam for power plays. I'm a big fan of that one. Can see plays devellop better. But it only really works on the PP when there is alot of passing and such.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Cat Called Bobcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
I know that when I'm watching games fom American regional channels, many of them use a 'behind-the-net' cam for power plays. I'm a big fan of that one. Can see plays devellop better. But it only really works on the PP when there is alot of passing and such.
I really like the 'behind-the-net' cam too!

Old
03-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Superfluous U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman
I agree with you completely. It works great for power plays. I've seen it in some Canadian broadcasts too, though not that often. Its terrible when they don't use it properly though.

Old
03-19-2004, 05:38 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
Yeah but they dont list who has all the pts. They just list goal scorers. If the game is a 6-6 tie they wont have the guy who only got 1 assist listed.

The Score lists all point getters, which is good for poolys

Old
03-19-2004, 05:55 PM
rye&ginger

ESPN's hockey people are better than TSN's I find, other than MacKenzie and McGuire. Miller and Randorf are horrible play by play guys.

Old
03-19-2004, 11:16 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger
ESPN's hockey people are better than TSN's I find, other than MacKenzie and McGuire. Miller and Randorf are horrible play by play guys.
Really? I can't stand ESPN...as a Canadian I think TSN is the best station simply cause they can actually be funny sometimes and their insiders are awesome. Bob McKenzie is second to none as far as that goes. TSN focuses on Canadian teams cause it's a Canadian station..much like ESPN/Fox go on and on about American teams.

Old
03-19-2004, 11:29 PM
rye&ginger

Well Ferraro is the best media guy there is, so he gives ESPN a huge edge for me.

Closed Thread