HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Playoff Series

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2009, 11:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
As much as I hate them, how are they not the 'team to beat' at this point?
the only hope is Boston. I think it will be Boston anyway meeting them. Carolina is toast IMO. they had their shot and couldnt seal the deal.
Go Bruins

Old
05-13-2009, 11:53 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
And though all of that, they managed to be the first team in 13 years to reach the conference finals again upon losing in the finals the year before, AND beat us 2 years in a row in the playoffs. They have two of at least the top 5 players in the game (which we don't have). They have one of at least the top 10 goalies in the game (which we don't have). And they bought into this concept called defense (which we haven't done). If they're not the class of the east, I'd be damn scared of when they will apparently get their act together.
I don't know maybe I just think just because you're the team to beat doesn't mean your the class of the conference but I'm prolly being a strawman now so w.e.. *exits stage*

Old
05-14-2009, 04:05 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
Don't start replies to me with "again" as if you've ever discussed this with me. Next, **** the Penguins.
Amen.

I don't understand why people feel the need to speak for an entire fanbase. Especially to try to alter other fanbases' perception of us.

Quote:
To a lot of people, we're the team who will never get it. Sort of like how the Red Sox used to be.
You're comparing the Flyers to a team who refused to sign blacks?

Old
05-14-2009, 04:44 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
The Caps look worse than we did in our own end this game. wow.
To be completely honest, Caps looked significantly worse in their own end compared to Philly the entire series (less pronounced in game one and the latter stages of our game 6, sure). You dominated us at times in our series. You dominated at least two games, got dominated big in one and it was give and take for the rest.
We outshot Washington by more than 10 shots per game on average in the series, and outshot and outchanced them in every single game. That wasn't so against Philly. At all.

In our series, Fleury was OK/good throughout and Godly in one game. In the Washington series he was OK/good in five games and horrible in two.

The only reason we played 7 games with Washington was that Varlamov played sensational hockey in five games and Ovechkin, the shot machine, was scoring on something like 25-30 percent of his shots against us. His slapper was just ridiculously hot.

I think you would have beaten Washington too. You are a more complete and mature team than they are. Certainly a better defensive team.

Old
05-14-2009, 07:22 AM
BringBackStevens

The Washington series and what i think will be the next series is going to show that we have the second best team in the east. Washington was lucky to get to 7, they looked real bad for most of that series. I think Pittsburgh is going to run all over Boston or Carolina, too... neither of whom are as good as they appear IMO

Old
05-14-2009, 07:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post

You're comparing the Flyers to a team who refused to sign blacks?
No, I'm comparing the Flyers to a team who found ways to lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCannon View Post
I don't know maybe I just think just because you're the team to beat doesn't mean your the class of the conference but I'm prolly being a strawman now so w.e.. *exits stage*
Being the team to beat is EXACTLY what makes you the class of the conference. What other criteria would there be? They've beaten all comers thus far over the last 2 seasons.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-14-2009, 07:54 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Being the team to beat is EXACTLY what makes you the class of the conference. What other criteria would there be? They've beaten all comers thus far over the last 2 seasons.
If we're talking about last season (2007-2008) and the previous season (2006-2007), then no, they didn't. Because in 2006-2007, they didn't even make it out of the first round (lost to Ottawa in 5 games). If we're talking about this season, hmm, I was under the impression that they had another round to go before they "beat all comers" this year. Unless you're now psychic and have foreseen the outcome of the next round already? Please, let's not provide them any more accolades they haven't earned yet. The NHL itself does a good enough job of that.

Old
05-14-2009, 08:02 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Caps head coach did a very poor job. I wonder if his face is red now?

His team was unprepared in game 7.
I am surprised this line of thought isn't getting more voice here. I guess coaching is only a key for the Flyers...

But Pittsburgh have the better players, that's for sure, and most importantly in a Game 7, the better goaltending. If Fleury doesn't stone Ovechkin, it like turns out differently. If Varlamov plays well at all, same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Ovechkin showed up but the rest of the team did not.
Just Say "No" to star worship - Ovechkin played poorly.

Old
05-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
If we're talking about last season (2007-2008) and the previous season (2006-2007), then no, they didn't. Because in 2006-2007, they didn't even make it out of the first round (lost to Ottawa in 5 games). If we're talking about this season, hmm, I was under the impression that they had another round to go before they "beat all comers" this year. Unless you're now psychic and have foreseen the outcome of the next round already? Please, let's not provide them any more accolades they haven't earned yet. The NHL itself does a good enough job of that.
Last season they most certainly did.

As GKJ said, they have two of the top players in the game...and one of the top 10 goalies in the league. They are indeed, as it stands now...the team to beat. They bounced the Flyers from the playoffs two years in a row now.

I don't see how anybody can see it otherwise.

Old
05-14-2009, 10:08 AM
medicman

Go Detriot(my son is bounching off the walls for tonight!)
Go Canes
pens still suck
that is all

Old
05-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
I am surprised this line of thought isn't getting more voice here. I guess coaching is only a key for the Flyers...

But Pittsburgh have the better players, that's for sure, and most importantly in a Game 7, the better goaltending. If Fleury doesn't stone Ovechkin, it like turns out differently. If Varlamov plays well at all, same.
I've never liked Boudreau and it's certainly no secret. Brutal game from them and he definitely deserves blame.

Old
05-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I've never liked Boudreau and it's certainly no secret. Brutal game from them and he definitely deserves blame.
Of course, lets make JXC really ponder that statement. The Pens were in the active process of missing the playoffs...before they made a coaching change.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:01 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Last season they most certainly did.

As GKJ said, they have two of the top players in the game...and one of the top 10 goalies in the league. They are indeed, as it stands now...the team to beat. They bounced the Flyers from the playoffs two years in a row now.

I don't see how anybody can see it otherwise.
This is premature...different year, different situation. When Boston has their game together, they've been the clear best team in the East this season. When they haven't had their game together, they've been very, very beatable.

And while MAF is the REASON they beat us -- the two top 5 guys were not -- he was extremely mortal against the Caps at the same time. To paraphrase a brilliant mind, lets not get the anointing oils out just yet.

Last year the Pens were clearly the best team in the East...this year they were taken to a Game 6 by us, in a series where they very easily could have lost Games 2, 4, and 6 if a few bounces don't go their way, and/or MAF doesn't make some epic saves. You can certainly counter with "but they won;" however, that is speaking directly to them getting some bounces. They then played to a Game 7...and got a bit of a break in the Caps collectively playing with their heads up their ***** after playing a relatively smart series to that point. So, sure, they won those series but you're witnessing a clear regression to the pack before you even get to the ECF...where the no. 1 seed, or one of the hottest teams in the East down the stretch will be meeting them.

There was great parity amongst the top 6 seeds in the East by the end of the season. This has played out in the playoffs. 3-6 seeds went to 7; 4-5 seeds went to 6 (with the winning team being outplayed on the whole); hell, 2-7 seeds went to 7 games with a 3-to-1 game comeback. In the next round you're seeing two 7-game series.

Say it with me. Parity. Pens may very well go to the SCF again, but it isn't because they're the "class of the East." They've played one less than the maximum number of games to this point, and the only reason that's true is because we collapsed in Game 6.

Old
05-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
This is premature...different year, different situation. When Boston has their game together, they've been the clear best team in the East this season. When they haven't had their game together, they've been very, very beatable.

And while MAF is the REASON they beat us -- the two top 5 guys were not -- he was extremely mortal against the Caps at the same time. To paraphrase a brilliant mind, lets not get the anointing oils out just yet.

Last year the Pens were clearly the best team in the East...this year they were taken to a Game 6 by us, in a series where they very easily could have lost Games 2, 4, and 6 if a few bounces don't go their way, and/or MAF doesn't make some epic saves. You can certainly counter with "but they won;" however, that is speaking directly to them getting some bounces. They then played to a Game 7...and got a bit of a break in the Caps collectively playing with their heads up their ***** after playing a relatively smart series to that point. So, sure, they won those series but you're witnessing a clear regression to the pack before you even get to the ECF...where the no. 1 seed, or one of the hottest teams in the East down the stretch will be meeting them.

There was great parity amongst the top 6 seeds in the East by the end of the season. This has played out in the playoffs. 3-6 seeds went to 7; 4-5 seeds went to 6 (with the winning team being outplayed on the whole); hell, 2-7 seeds went to 7 games with a 3-to-1 game comeback. In the next round you're seeing two 7-game series.

Say it with me. Parity. Pens may very well go to the SCF again, but it isn't because they're the "class of the East." They've played one less than the maximum number of games to this point, and the only reason that's true is because we collapsed in Game 6.
Thank you. Beat me to the response before I could start it. Stupid work getting in the way.

Old
05-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The NHL's lost its soul a while ago. I'm not talking about the Flyers because we haven't deserved to win, but the fact that Walker doesn't get suspended for open assault compared to some of the other suspensions and now the fact that they're trying to change playoff OT, the league just keeps catering to these bandwagoners and it leaves diehards out in the cold.
Could you imagine if Walker was wearing an orange jersey with a big winged "P" on the front? 10-20 games.

Old
05-14-2009, 01:02 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Could you imagine if Walker was wearing an orange jersey with a big winged "P" on the front? 10-20 games.
summary execution

Old
05-14-2009, 01:06 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
The Caps are a team that are just not built for the playoffs.

Outside of OV, look at their forward corps, especially in the top-6.

Backstrom, Semin, Fleischmann, 40 year-old Fedorov, Kozlov. There's not a lot of toughness there, not a lot of grit.

Then look at their D, Green may have been hurt, but he was bad, Poti, Pothier, Jurcina, Erskine. Not a lot of talent in their top-4 and not a lot of physicality in the top-4 either.

Crosby, Malkin, and co. cycled hard on the Caps all series and the Caps forwards just didn't help their D enough. Warning signs were there in the Rags series, but they got by on being vastly more talented. They couldn't get away with that against the Pens.

Say what you want about Sid and the diving, I don't like it either, but he knows what it takes to win and he's been dominant (Malkin and Staal are both minuses in the playoffs). I mean, this goes back to the rivalry between Richie and Crosby which isn't much of a rivalry. It's basically Sid dominating. He's done it 2 postseasons in a row and outside of the Wings, nobody's really stopped him.

Old
05-14-2009, 01:08 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
i think somebody suggested that we get him a few weeks ago. i like the way he plays, but after that stunt, he's about the last guy we need on the flyers. you know for damn sure that if he becomes a flyer and does something edgy like that next year, his ass is getting a suspension. it would be one of the only sure things next season.

HOWEVER, walker as a flyer would be worth it just to hear jack edwards ***** about him for four games next year. ok, nevermind.

Old
05-14-2009, 01:27 PM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
The Washington series and what i think will be the next series is going to show that we have the second best team in the east. Washington was lucky to get to 7, they looked real bad for most of that series. I think Pittsburgh is going to run all over Boston or Carolina, too... neither of whom are as good as they appear IMO
I agree with that, but the Flyers do have more than their share of maturity/discipline issues. We'll need to see that fixed in camp in September, not as the season wears on.

Old
05-14-2009, 01:39 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
we had him for 5 seasons in Manchester and not once did we get out of round 1 of the AHL playoffs, we had some good teams too. Look at that 04-05 team.
Of course He coached the Hershey team to the Calder Cup the following year, but that was a stacked team.
I think hes a good coach. Probably somewhere in the middle of the pack of NHL coaches. Yeah that Caps team did turn it around with him, but anything is an upgrade over Glen Hanlon. Hanlon had Backstrom on the 4th line for God sakes.
Boudreau put Backstrom on the Ovechkin line. Didnt take a genious to figure that that was going to work.

Old
05-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I'm gonna have to jump in here for a second and say that I can at least agree with some of the people on here, and admit that as much I hope the Pens would all just spontaneously combust, they keep fighting. That's all I can bring myself to say about that. And now I'm going to run off and douse myself in gasoline.

Old
05-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

Call it premature all you want, they have the Flyers number now...two years in a row. They were held back by MT, and have since been tearing up the league with the coaching change. The Bruins were very good this year, I give them credit where it's clearly due. However, some of their players had career years...will they repeat? Who knows, we'll find out next year, right?

As it stands now, IMO, the Penguins are the team to beat in the East.

Old
05-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Call it premature all you want, they have the Flyers number now...two years in a row. They were held back by MT, and have since been tearing up the league with the coaching change. The Bruins were very good this year, I give them credit where it's clearly due. However, some of their players had career years...will they repeat? Who knows, we'll find out next year, right?
What does that have to do with the here and now? And if the Pens lose to the Bruins...why do the Pens deserve to then be placed over them?

Quote:
As it stands now, IMO, the Penguins are the team to beat in the East.
All fine and good, but that doesn't mean they should be held up as the "class of the East" as if they've won the East again already...they haven't. They're playing very good hockey, but the East is a very flat landscape right now. There are a bunch of teams all circling around the same range of play. Pens included.

Old
05-14-2009, 04:27 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Here is the bottom line:

They get it done.

It's doesn't matter how or even against who.

Old
05-14-2009, 05:27 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Who wins tonight? B's or the Canes?
I see the B's coming up big tonight.

Closed Thread