HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rozsival Appreciation Thread

Old
04-19-2009, 01:34 AM
dynamoovechkin

vCash: 500
This year, he was a top pairing defenseman on the 6th stingiest defense in the league. Saw a lot of time on the PK where we were 2nd in the league.

He has been our #1 defenseman for 3 years running (before Staal emerged this year) and because of him Marek Friggin Malik was like +30 one year!

I have always appreciated what he gave us, but it's true- his skating, once an asset has diminished. His shot has no deception on it. His confidence, hence his decision making has been suspect, and yes, he is prone to the brain fart it seems like once per game.

It seems like injuries have limited his effectiveness as a previous poster pointed out.
His lack of creativity on the PP can be maddening.

That said, I like Rozy. He has the skills- sometimes when he shoots it I am astounded- where did that come from? It's just that he may be on the downside of his career at this point. I remember not being that P.O.ed when he got that contract, it seemed like fair market for the guy at the time. Certainly doesn't feel that way now though.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Ice Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yep. He's decent defensively and average offensively but he does nothing overly well. He isn't good enough with the puck to be considered an offensive defensemen, and he is easily deked or knocked off the puck. He makes good plays now and then, but who doesn't?

Just my opinion, but I think Ranger fans have gone so long since seeing a good two-way d-man night in and night out, that they've forgotten what one looks like.
i respectfully disagree with just about everything but the fact that he's a defensive minded dman.

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 02:39 AM
trilobyte

I appreciate Rozsival today. But no matter, I keep seeing evidence of his lack of hockey sense. He really only has these stellar games (based on what you should insist on from a guy with his salary) not that often.

So to keep things in perspective, really good game by Rozy today. Would I trade him this summer? Hell yes.

trilobyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 02:47 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
I wish Rozsival could play out his contract here, but IMO he will be traded at the draft to free up some of Uncle Glen's mistakes.
I don't wish, but I would be alright with it, if larger mistakes weren't made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Love me some Rozsy. Haters gonna hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamoovechkin View Post
He has been our #1 defenseman for 3 years running (before Staal emerged this year) and because of him Marek Friggin Malik was like +30 one year!
Pretty sure Marek Malik led the league in +/- prior to the lockout when he was with the Vancouver Canucks. +35. Harry can thank the WCE and an in-his-prime Jovocop for that award.

And in this case, it wasn't Rozsival. It was Jagr.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalkinFan71 View Post
ehh... that giveaway in the 2nd or 3rd period was brutal... should've ended up in the back of our net.

I'm not saying he hasn't been good but he still makes some dumb plays.
I don't know -- to be clear, I defintly don't think Rozsival have been outstanding in this series, he have held his own though -- but thats basically a veteran play and a good decision by Rozsival. While the result wasn't great this time.

Though a young D in that situations throws a backhand instead; and in that situation when you skate away from the puck you just will never be able to get enough umph behind a backhand to get it out of the zone. That option will fail 99 times of 100.

Rozsival under pressure instead takes it on forehand and lines up to be able to move the puck out of the zone. You need to make thoose plays, otherwise we will struggle to get out of the zone every time. This time a Cap player were in perfect position to jump on him with speed. I rather have a player make a good play and fail 10% of the time, then just give the puck away 90% of the time.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 08:18 AM
RinkOnEStreet

Rozie was good, but it's hard not to get exposed when you are draped all over the best player in hockey.

Now Redden -- wow have I been impressed.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Vitto79

I like Rozy I think people just assume he will be the odd man out to clear cap space

but if not it's not a bad thing having Redden, Rozy, Staal, Giraridi, Gilroy, Potter and resign Mara

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
right now the whole team is playin solid defencivly.. rozy redden .. hell even cally n antro have chipped in greatly.. this has been a turn out we all hoped .. and it could not gfeel n e better doin aganist ovy and the team everyone loves..!!

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Ih8theislanders

All of our big contracts, including Nazzy, have been great thus far. Well except Drury, but he's played injured so you can't give him ****.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

LOve his play lately, Redden too. They're not going anywhere in the offseason, so lets forget that **** for now and enjoy this playoff performance.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:17 AM
beastly115

IMO, Rozsival didn't play that well yesterday. I can think of at least two times where he was crucially burned by OV which lead to scoring chances.

It made me cringe like when Lundy plays the puck with his stick.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
IMO, Rozsival didn't play that well yesterday. I can think of at least two times where he was crucially burned by OV which lead to scoring chances.

It made me cringe like when Lundy plays the puck with his stick.
You're in the minority.

You remember one or two plays that may have hurt but forgot about the 8 or 9 plays he made to stop quality chances Caps couldve had. Go back and watch the game and focus on Rosie & Reds, you'll see they did more than you noticed.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalkinFan71 View Post
ehh... that giveaway in the 2nd or 3rd period was brutal... should've ended up in the back of our net.
That was Staal's giveaway. Even though he had his stick slashed/broken while trying to make the pass from behind the net.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
i respectfully disagree with just about everything but the fact that he's a defensive minded dman.
Fair enough.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:03 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Aw, c'mon Sting! I know we disagree a lot, but you couldn't work up anything more than 2 smilies?

We're up 2-0, buck up a little bit, eh?

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
Aw, c'mon Sting! I know we disagree a lot, but you couldn't work up anything more than 2 smilies?

We're up 2-0, buck up a little bit, eh?
Oh, I'm feeling good, dude. That game was the most fun I've had watching Rangers hockey all season long (it's been a pretty sad season), and we didn't even play that well.

I just resent comments like haters gonna hate, as if I complain about players for no reason.

You, and others, often seem to imply that I'm somehow less of a Ranger fan because I'm dissatisfied with certain elements of the team.

There are some players on this team, I love (Callahan, Lundqvist, Staal, Dubinsky, Betts, Morris) and guys I like quite a bit (Antropov, Mara, Orr, Sjostrom, Korpikoski, Drury).

But there are also guys on this team who I never wanted on this team, guys whose style of play bothers me quite a bit, or guys whose salary is clearly going to hinder this team from icing the best team it can in the near future.

Gomez and Redden (I guess you can say Voros too, though he's probably a goner after this season) apply to both of those, while Rozsival is just of the second. I've never hated Rozsival, but I've never loved him either. I think it was Trxjw who said that Rozsival isn't really particularly good at anything, he's just serviceable at everything, which I totally agree with. Kind of like Redden, though I prefer Rozsival.

I'm indifferent to Rozsival. If Redden's contract wasn't on the books, I wouldn't really mind Rozsival's deal or see him stick around. But Redden is here, which means we can't spend 11.5 million on two non-first pair defensemen.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:42 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Oh, I'm feeling good, dude. That game was the most fun I've had watching Rangers hockey all season long (it's been a pretty sad season), and we didn't even play that well.

I just resent comments like haters gonna hate, as if I complain about players for no reason.

You, and others, often seem to imply that I'm somehow less of a Ranger fan because I'm dissatisfied with certain elements of the team.

There are some players on this team, I love (Callahan, Lundqvist, Staal, Dubinsky, Betts, Morris) and guys I like quite a bit (Antropov, Mara, Orr, Sjostrom, Korpikoski, Drury).

But there are also guys on this team who I never wanted on this team, guys whose style of play bothers me quite a bit, or guys whose salary is clearly going to hinder this team from icing the best team it can in the near future.

Gomez and Redden (I guess you can say Voros too, though he's probably a goner after this season) apply to both of those, while Rozsival is just of the second. I've never hated Rozsival, but I've never loved him either. I think it was Trxjw who said that Rozsival isn't really particularly good at anything, he's just serviceable at everything, which I totally agree with. Kind of like Redden, though I prefer Rozsival.

I'm indifferent to Rozsival. If Redden's contract wasn't on the books, I wouldn't really mind Rozsival's deal or see him stick around. But Redden is here, which means we can't spend 11.5 million on two non-first pair defensemen.
I hear you, and I'm just messing with you a little bit. But where we really disagree is on Gomez. I think he is almost, I repeat, almost worth his contract. I don't think he's a "stupid" player, like I've seen you say time after time.

Redden, I can understand people's beef with him... I like the guy (and his play so far in the P/O's is making him look even better), but I can understand it. But we're paying slightly more than Redden pay to Gomez for our first line center... and I like the way he plays. He skates like a madman and sees the ice very well.

And before you even start with the response about how he doesn't see the ice well, and sucks, and needs to be run over by a cab, or whatever... just realize I (and everyone else on the boards) already know how you feel.

Bottome line: LGR.

PromNite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:

You, and others, often seem to imply that I'm somehow less of a Ranger fan because I'm dissatisfied with certain elements of the team..
Don't feel singled out. With each off-season there comes a fresh batch of people who seem completely incapable of having and dealing with critical opinion (I'm not pointing to any one specific person here, so relax guys). "Love it or Leave it" types.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote