HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RYDER: Leading Rookie Candidate!!!

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 08:27 AM
Dynasty

vCash: 500
RYDER: Leading Rookie Candidate!!!

According to NHL.com Ryder is the number 1 leading candidate for the Calder Cup, at this point in the season!!!

http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/read/fe...ker031704.html

Old
03-18-2004, 08:47 AM
J-D

Calder Trophy. Cup = Ultimate prize for the AHL.

Old
03-18-2004, 09:15 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
I know I look like a homer coming here and posting this, but even though Ryder has had a great rookie season, don't you think Andrew Raycroft is more deserving?

Old
03-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBruinmaker
I know I look like a homer coming here and posting this, but even though Ryder has had a great rookie season, don't you think Andrew Raycroft is more deserving?
I agree, Raycroft should win as he has been Boston's MVP. At this point I would say Raycroft is clearly the top rookie and Ryder is clearly the 2nd best rookie as Hunter has slowed down considerably.

Old
03-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
According to NHL.com Ryder is the number 1 leading candidate for the Calder Cup, at this point in the season!!!

http://www.nhl.com/intheslot/read/fe...ker031704.html
The fact that they used Ribeiro's offensive stats under Ryder's name should tell you all you need to know about the knowledge of the person who wrote this article.

Old
03-18-2004, 09:28 AM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
I would definetly like it to see Ryder win the Calder, though, Raycroft will probably get it. He is having a stellar year in front of Boston's net, he's already better than a lots of vets.(We could say the same about ryder... )

Old
03-18-2004, 09:44 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSTRAK
I would definetly like it to see Ryder win the Calder, though, Raycroft will probably get it. He is having a stellar year in front of Boston's net, he's already better than a lots of vets.(We could say the same about ryder... )
I hate the bruins!!!

but a little less than the laffs.

well.. what can i say, Maybe Ryder can cause a surprise who knows.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:07 AM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet
I agree, Raycroft should win as he has been Boston's MVP. At this point I would say Raycroft is clearly the top rookie and Ryder is clearly the 2nd best rookie as Hunter has slowed down considerably.
As biased as I am towards the Habs... I agree. Statistically, compared across positions, Raycroft is rated much higher than Ryder. Raycroft is top 10 in most (if not all) important goaltending statistics. Ryder is not rated that high for any attacking forward.

Ryder is having an awesome year... Raycroft is having an unbelievable one!

Old
03-18-2004, 10:15 AM
Habber

I'll have to go with Raycroft as well.

Raycroft has great stats and is extremely important to his team. Ryder's stats are pretty good, but not spectacular, and while he's a big pice of the Habs pie, I don't think he's had the impact that Raycroft has had with the B's.

But Ryder definately deserves 2nd. Hunter has cooled off and Pitkanen isn't more than a 5th or 6th D for Philly right now.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Bruin_Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarl
As biased as I am towards the Habs... I agree. Statistically, compared across positions, Raycroft is rated much higher than Ryder. Raycroft is top 10 in most (if not all) important goaltending statistics. Ryder is not rated that high for any attacking forward.

Thank you all for being so honest. Being a Bruins fan in Montreal, i can truly tell you that Rayzor deserves the Calder. However, i will tell you this: Ryder is very impressive. He's having such a great season for you guys. If Rayzor weren't in the running, then i would gladly concur that Ryder has been the best rookie all season long

Old
03-18-2004, 10:24 AM
mcphee

How do you pick between a goalie and a winger ? I guess you ask who has been dominant. Raycroft has saved the Bruins because a lot of 'experts' felt they would miss the playoffs because of weak goaltending. The Habs were an afterthought because of a lack of scoring,size and grit off the wing. Seems everyone was wrong. I'll pick Ryder, but who should win, how the hell should I know, I'm just a lowly goatkeeper.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:26 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarl
That pretty much sums it up for me too. I didn't want to take anything away from Ryder, because from what I've seen this season, I have been very impressed. Among things, the guy sure does have a lot of hockey sense.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
but who should win, how the hell should I know, I'm just a lowly goatkeeper.
Lowly goatkeeper?????

You are the Keeper of the Sacred Pretzel!!!!!!!

If you think Ryder should win, then Ryder SHOULD win!!!!! The pretzel will see to it!

Old
03-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Raycroft numbers are impressive but don't forget thant we are in a defensive erea and many goalies avec a save % over .920 and a moy under 2.30 ... amazing...

Raycroft , Boston ( 48 GP, 23-16-8, 1.99 GA, .929 SV%, 3 SO.) Brodeur , New Jersey ( 63 GP, 32-22-10, 2.04 GA, .916 SV%, 10 SO.) Nabokov , San Jose ( 48 GP, 23-18-7, 2.18 GA, .922 SV%, 8 SO.) Luongo , Florida ( 62 GP, 21-28-13, 2.30 GA, .933 SV%, 7 SO ) Aebischer, Colorado (54 GP, 28-15-9, 2.07 GAA, .925 save %, 4 SO); Tomas Vokoun, Nashville (61 GP, 30-24-7, 2.56 GAA, .908 save %, 3 SO); Jose Theodore, Montreal (59 GP, 29-24-5, 2.16 GAA, .923 save %, 6 SO); Dwayne Roloson, Minnesota (41 GP, 15-16-10, 1.91 GAA, .932 save %, 4 SO); Ed Belfour, Toronto (49 GP, 28-16-5, 2.13 GAA, .915 save %, 7 SO).

Old
03-18-2004, 10:36 AM
jimnevets

I'm a big Habs fan and a Newfoundlander. Ryder is having a fantastic year and I scream everytime he gets a point. I have to say though that as much as I hate the Bruins, Raycroft is probably just a bit more deserving of Rookie of the Year.

It is easy to make a case that Raycroft is much more deserving but if the people voting look at where Ryder has come from, I doubt it will be that easy a decision.

I think also that if Ryder can turn it up a notch and reach 70 points, he will make the decision even harder.

Old
03-18-2004, 02:27 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
That pretty much sums it up for me too. I didn't want to take anything away from Ryder, because from what I've seen this season, I have been very impressed. Among things, the guy sure does have a lot of hockey sense.
Up until the last 20 games or so I thought that Raycroft was going to easily walk away with it but as it stands right now, I think it is very very close with a slight edge to Raycroft. Look at it this way: Ryder is poised to win the rookie scoring race; was rookie of the month for February and runner up for this award for consecutive months of December and January; playing his best hockey of the season right now while continuing to improve. If he gets rookie of the month for March (and is probably currently the leading cadidate) then it will be very difficult to deny him the Calder trophy. His consistency this year is nothing short of outstanding for a rookie!!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying that Raycroft isn't having an outstanding season but rather that it will probably be extremely difficult to pick a winner between the two at the end of the seaon.

Is it possible to have two winners??

Old
03-18-2004, 05:04 PM
Garnet

Ryder

You can say that the Bruins were picked not to make the playoffs because of their goaltending but the same can be said about Montreal. Most people said they would finish 10-13 spot in the east with questionable goaltending and they can't score!! Ryders been scoring.

Raycroft has been great this year and honestly its tough to compare a goalie to a winger. Raycroft should win but he's only played 48 games and at the start of the season he played against the lower skilled teams as Potvin played quite often.
The fact that Boston in a very good team should have some affect on the decision. Osgood won a Cup on a good team!! Im not taking anything away from Raycroft, just making some points, and I think its Raycroft 1 and Ryder 2 in my opinion.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
Is it possible to have two winners??
No, but we can agree that they're both terrific players with great careers in front of them!

Old
03-18-2004, 05:13 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I find it hard to call Raycroft a rookie, I know he mets all the requirements to be considered a NHL rookie. But he played 15 games in 2000 and we are in 2004 so IMO he is no rookie. Not to take away from his great season because he has been amazing this year.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
"Ryder is second on the Canadiens in scoring, ahead of even superstar Saku Koivu, who has three fewer points."

I like that NHL.com is calling Koivu a Superstar!!

Unbiased Canadian

Old
03-18-2004, 05:46 PM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased Canadian
"Ryder is second on the Canadiens in scoring, ahead of even superstar Saku Koivu, who has three fewer points."

I like that NHL.com is calling Koivu a Superstar!!

Unbiased Canadian
Well after all he managed to get into the NHL's top 30 point scorers despite missing 14 games and having trouble in his first games back from the shoulder injury (or was it a knee injury?). To me, it's showing how good of a season he's having, IMO.

Last edited by didjuicythat: 03-18-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old
03-18-2004, 05:59 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Yes you are being a homer. But Raycroft is perfectly deserving. I think if this would be a good year to have co-winners. Lets face it, Ryder and Raycroft are miles ahead of anyone else i the race, and to say one has been etter than the other only comes down to personal opinion. Ryder is a forward, raycroft a goalie. You can't really compare the two really. You just have to recognize that they were both great. When Nabby won, there was no real forward choice, but Ryder is having an outstanding season.

Old
03-18-2004, 08:51 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
I'll have to go with Raycroft as well.

Raycroft has great stats and is extremely important to his team. Ryder's stats are pretty good, but not spectacular, and while he's a big pice of the Habs pie, I don't think he's had the impact that Raycroft has had with the B's.
But Ryder definately deserves 2nd.
Let's try this then: compare them against their peers. I've run the stats, and as it turns out there are 45 "regular" goalies, and almost 700 "regular" players (898 total with atleast 1 game). Now, if you take Ryder, he ranks 32nd of 700 in points (top 5%), 46th in goals (top 7%), 30th in assists (top 4.3%), and 174th in +/- (top 25%) of all regular players. Even if you exclude defensemen, he stays in the top 10% of all comparable players.

Next is Raycroft: 6th of 45 in GAA (top 13%), 4th in save pct (top 9%), 10th in wins (top 22%), and 18th in shutouts (top 40%).

As you can see, Ryder is in the higher percentile of comparable players than raycroft is. Remember that this is a goalie favoured league (as explored above on this board), and people who rank highly in scoring must be doing a great job. So, up to now I would argue that Ryder deserves the award. Remember, this isn't team MVP voting, this is top rookie PERIOD voting. So RAYCROFT definitely deserves 2nd.

Old
03-18-2004, 08:55 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
I find it hard to call Raycroft a rookie, I know he mets all the requirements to be considered a NHL rookie. But he played 15 games in 2000 and we are in 2004 so IMO he is no rookie. Not to take away from his great season because he has been amazing this year.
This also has to be considered. Could you imagine if someone like Kovalchuck or Heatley was kept in the minors "developing" until he was 25 and then unleashed on the league??? We wouldn't be talking about Ryder or Raycroft, that's for damn sure.
This could be even truer with defensemen, as they usually don't hit full stride until 25 or 26.

Last edited by s7ark: 03-18-2004 at 08:56 PM. Reason: extra info
Old
03-18-2004, 09:07 PM
jonny5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
This also has to be considered. Could you imagine if someone like Kovalchuck or Heatley was kept in the minors "developing" until he was 25 and then unleashed on the league??? We wouldn't be talking about Ryder or Raycroft, that's for damn sure.
This could be even truer with defensemen, as they usually don't hit full stride until 25 or 26.
Ryder will turn 24yrs. old on Marck 31. His stats are fantastic (especially the way you broke it down). But the best thing Ryder has going for him is the fact that he loves to play the game. If you carry the passion, the skills will definitely develop. If the writers look at the overall picture like his desire, his consistency, his unbelievable work ethic, and his stats, which will definitely go over 60pts, I think he really has a shot at the Calder. But, he would be the first to tell you its the team that he is focused on.

Closed Thread