HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Got a Wii - so is NHL2K even worth it?

Old
06-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Got a Wii - so is NHL2K even worth it?

I've been reading all the NHL 2K vs. NHL 10 threads here...and I just have a basic question.

I'm an older dude, and I used to have a PS2 and played the EA NHL games. I liked them, and never played 2K but in the screenshots and all I basically thought it sucked compared to EA's version. I'm a big fan of the dynasty play.

I'm somewhat upset to find out that Wii only carries NHL 2K. I guess my main question though is this - is it worth it?

Does the Wii provide more functionality to NHL 2K than the old video game consoles did? If it's just still a joystick game and doesn't use the nunchucks I think I might pass.

Anyone using NHL 2K on the Wii - I'd really appreciate some input before I go blow 50 bucks. Thanks!

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 05:36 PM
dashtary*

vCash: 500
noooooo.... don't waste your money, graphics are horrible, faces don't look like the players, players stick hands change on replaces and stoppage of plays, way to hard to play, the game sucks. i would rather get nhl on the ps2

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 05:41 PM
YogiCanucks

Don't waste your time with 2K

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Thanks I appreciate it. Didn't know if Wii upgraded the game itself and provided better gameplay or not.

Guess I'll get Tiger Woods or something.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 06:42 PM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
2K10 may be better. I've been hearing good things about the 360/PS3 version but I don't know if the same will go for the Wii version this year. Tiger Woods is supposed to be even better on the Wii, so that's definitely a good call if you're interested in that. Just try to keep an eye out for any new information about the Wii version of 2K10, it might be good.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 07:01 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
Thanks I appreciate it. Didn't know if Wii upgraded the game itself and provided better gameplay or not.

Guess I'll get Tiger Woods or something.
The two EA games that just came out, Grand Slam Tennis and TW 10 are both excellent games for the Wii (they use WiiMotionPlus)

EDIT: 2K10 probably wont be much better either.

Old
06-20-2009, 12:41 AM
um

i thought it was alright took me awile to get over the bad graphics

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 08:47 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

The game is decent. The graphics take a bit to get past, but the dynasty is very deep. It's a decent game and has a few different control types.

Oh and I don't think the game is $50. I bought it new for $35 with taxes about a week after it came out.. I'm sure its around $20 now.
Posted via Mobile Device

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 11:04 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
The game is decent. The graphics take a bit to get past, but the dynasty is very deep. It's a decent game and has a few different control types.

Oh and I don't think the game is $50. I bought it new for $35 with taxes about a week after it came out.. I'm sure its around $20 now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well for the 360 NHL 09 is 60 bucks while the 2K game is now down to 25. Supply and demand.

Old
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Well for the 360 NHL 09 is 60 bucks while the 2K game is now down to 25. Supply and demand.
~$30 for the ONLY NHL game for the Wii? Absolutely a steal.

Sure it lacks online gameplay or updates, but a couple quick shuffles of Free Agents and you're in the ballpark for semi-accurate rosters. AND most of the big free agent names are in the game, so you can create-a-player and the game WILL announce who they are during play.

Yes the graphics aren't great (NHL 05 for the Gamecube (Gamecube games can be played in the Wii) looked better), but you get too wrapped up in trying to maul/hook/slash/shoot/find open teammates to pass too with the Wii-mote that you get over the fact that everyone is one of the same seven generic faces.

I expect 2k10 to be better (It's reported that 2k9 was a mid-cycle release, so they could get a full two year development cycle from 2k8 to 2k10)... so if you can wait, pick it up in September.

I've seen much, much worse games shoveled out in a hurry for the PS2, XBox, and Wii; NHL2k9 is better than those shovelware games.

aparch is offline   Reply With Quote