HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Unofficial Doug Lynch Appreciation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
The Unofficial Doug Lynch Appreciation Thread

The numbers speak for themselves:
  • Another 2 point effort last night, 33 points in 63 games puts him #2 overall in rookie dman scoring, and the #1 guy (Garret Stafford) is 4 years older, 3 inches shorter and 25 pounds smaller.
  • 4th overall scorer on his team, 2nd best +/-, #1 scoring dman.
  • 3rd overall in rookie dman +/-.

He may not have eyepopping skills in any one area, but IMO he's damn solid in nearly every area except perhaps skating, and he's certainly not Cross-like in that regard. Like DB said, the kid's insanely consistent for a 20 year old fresh out of the WHL.

IMO he's outperformed higher profile guys like Kiriil Koltsov, Colaiacovo, Woywitka, Brendan Bell, and Krajicek.

I'd be shocked if he didn't make this team out of training camp next year, or whenever there's hockey again. I've liked this kid since he first came to camp as an 18 year old.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:37 PM
PigeonCamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
The numbers speak for themselves:
  • Another 2 point effort last night, 33 points in 63 games puts him #2 overall in rookie dman scoring, and the #1 guy (Garret Stafford) is 4 years older, 3 inches shorter and 25 pounds smaller.
  • 4th overall scorer on his team, 2nd best +/-, #1 scoring dman.
  • 3rd overall in rookie dman +/-.

He may not have eyepopping skills in any one area, but IMO he's damn solid in nearly every area except perhaps skating, and he's certainly not Cross-like in that regard. Like DB said, the kid's insanely consistent for a 20 year old fresh out of the WHL.

IMO he's outperformed higher profile guys like Kiriil Koltsov, Colaiacovo, Woywitka, Brendan Bell, and Krajicek.

I'd be shocked if he didn't make this team out of training camp next year, or whenever there's hockey again. I've liked this kid since he first came to camp as an 18 year old.
If this turns into another instance of you hiding outside of his house with binoculars...you're on your own.

I'm also very excited about Lynch's potential. He and Woywitka could end up forming a great 1-2 punch in a few years.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:38 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Agreed. I have a sneaky suspicion that this kid will be a monster d-man for us. He has all the heart and enough skill to make it work. His ceiling may not be as high as others, but he will squeeze every bit of talent out of himself that he can.

I really like him and hope he does make the team next year.

Of course I have only seen him play 10 or so times, so I may have no idea what I am talking about. But what I have seen is very impressive.

Old
03-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Cerebral

Future pairings of Brewer-Semenov and Lynch-Woywitka could be very very yummy...

Old
03-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Slats432

I am a fan for sure. Every time I have seen him play he seems to have all the tools. Here is to seeing him up with the big club next year.

(No lockout, No lockout.....)

Old
03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I believe it was Mizral who said that #1 d-men excel in all aspects of their game, whether its offense or defense with no apparent weaknesses. Lynch is very well rounded, and maybe with a bit of luck he can become a top two defenseman for the Oilers.
Brewer, Semenov, Lynch, Woywitka...when was the last time we had so many complete defenders? As far as I can remember, most of our defensemen were pretty one-dimensional.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:57 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

I would be very happy with this in 4 years

Brewer - Semenov
Lynch - Wowytka
Greene - Bergeron
Gilbert

looks just fine to me

Old
03-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I would be very happy with this in 4 years

Brewer - Semenov
Lynch - Wowytka
Greene - Bergeron
Gilbert

looks just fine to me
That's the great thing about our defensive depth.. even if a guy like Gilbert of Greene doesn't develop like we anticipate, we have enough players waiting in the wings to cover for them. We can afford to bring our young guys along slowly as we have enough depth to cover for them if they're not playing well. I still think Semenov and Brewer will end up being our #1-2 pair and they'll be the best of the bunch..

Old
03-19-2004, 04:37 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
I've liked this kid since he first came to camp as an 18 year old.
Me too. I still think he looked better in his first training camp than some of the guys that stuck. I am grateful to Ferguson for his work and thought he was a good #7 for this team until MacTavish or circumstances tried to turn him into a #5 and left a bad taste in everybody's mouth. But I am certain that Scott had enough sense to be putting money in the bank the last couple of years and the drafting of the past few years is just about ready to start paying off. I know everybody talks about how his skating needs work and I know I have only seen him at training camps so far but I still don't know what the complaint is. From what I have seen the wheels are just fine.

Old
03-19-2004, 05:16 PM
Matts

I like the defensive depth chart as well

but playing all those guys without at least one or two vet presences will mean lots of mistakes. I can live with that but will MacT?

I doubt it.

So I'll be very surprised to see how the top six shakes out next season. MAB should be on his way to grabbing a spot and hopefully Semi takes Cross or Ulanov's. And yeah Lynch could be a good bet to grab the other's or Smith's.

But it doesn't really seem pheasible that a MacT team would have all of Bergeron-Semi and Lynch getting a regular shift

Old
03-19-2004, 05:33 PM
jadeddog

i personally think that smith will still be here next year..... so that leaves from this year: brewer, smith, staios, fergy, MAB, cross, ulanov, semenov

brewer, smith, staios and semenov wont be going anywhere, barring a trade or smith not resigning, both of which could happen, though i think its more likely that lowe would trade one of fergy, ulanov or cross to make room for lynch or maybe woywitka..... here is what i think will happen next year:

smith-brewer
ulanov-semenov/lynch
lynch/MAB-staios
cross

the pariings dont matter, but those are the players i think will stick next year.... with lynch spelling semenov and MAB off at points in the season..... though i could see lynch maybe even sticking to the point they drop ulanov to a 7th type role and deal the 7th man (be that cross or fergy)

Old
03-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Mizral

I'm a big fan of all the Lynch boys (had a good one here on the Vancouver WHL team), but the Oilers Lynch is clearly the best of the bunch.

Still, while he is a good two-way defenseman, I can't stand to see people putting him ahead of Woywitka. Frankly, I think the differences are huge. Woywitka could be another Jason Smith, whereas I see Lynch being something significantly less. Not to say he stinks, hardly! I think he'll go on to an NHL future without a doubt, but as a top 3 defenseman? I think that's a stretch, even for how much I like the Lynch kids.

That said, he's a very nice prospect to have in the system, without a doubt.

Old
03-21-2004, 01:25 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
no doubt our defense could be one of the best in the league in about four years. been very happy to read the glowing reports on lynch,woywitka, and greene. greene especially is one guy i will be following, he could be that punishing and outright scary defenseman this team really needs.

Old
03-21-2004, 02:02 PM
Walsher

On top of all of his AHL success, Lynch also put in some solid time with the Oilers as well. Very impressive start to his professional career.

Old
03-21-2004, 02:05 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
oops we already have that scary defenseman right now, well looking that is, ulanov.

Old
03-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Matts

And Lynch with his 10th goal of the season

in today's game vs The Cuse. It's in the 2nd with TO leading 3-1. There isn't much to dislike about the kid. If he ever improved his skating, he'd be a green chip prospect.

BTW, I liked him from the first time I saw him and then I looked it up and his birthday is the same as mine. Which might also explain why I've liked Kevin Weekes for such a long time

Old
03-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I'm a big fan of all the Lynch boys (had a good one here on the Vancouver WHL team), but the Oilers Lynch is clearly the best of the bunch.

Still, while he is a good two-way defenseman, I can't stand to see people putting him ahead of Woywitka. Frankly, I think the differences are huge. Woywitka could be another Jason Smith, whereas I see Lynch being something significantly less. Not to say he stinks, hardly! I think he'll go on to an NHL future without a doubt, but as a top 3 defenseman? I think that's a stretch, even for how much I like the Lynch kids.

Old
03-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Derek

Doug Lynch is no relation to Darren Lynch of the Vancouver

Giants, so you lose a lot of credibility in your post. Lynch and Woywitka are both great prospects. Lynch is clearly outplaying Woywitka this year so that is probably why most posters are putting him ahead. They are both very even talent wise and will make a great D pairing in the future for the Oil. I am a big fan of both, but right now Lynch is the better player.

Old
03-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Derek

Quote:

Old
03-27-2004, 01:38 PM
Derek

Quote:

Old
03-27-2004, 01:43 PM
Derek

Posts: 11 Doug Lynch is no relation to Darren Lynch of the Vancouver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doug Lynch is no relation to Darren Lynch of the Vancouver
Giants, so you lose a lot of credibility in your post. Darren Lynch is from Regina and the four Lynch Bros. are from Vancouver (Coquitlam)
Lynch and Woywitka are both great prospects. Lynch is clearly outplaying Woywitka this year so that is probably why most posters are putting him ahead. They are both very even talent wise and will make a great D pairing in the future for the Oil. I am a big fan of both, but right now Lynch is the better player.

Old
03-27-2004, 02:59 PM
Walsher

Holy must be a first timer - all those posts with the same thing said or nothing at all.

Old
03-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Holy must be a first timer - all those posts with the same thing said or nothing at all.
Yes sorry I don't post too often, and didn't think first post was sent.

Old
03-27-2004, 03:58 PM
jadeddog

dont mind walsher derek.... he must just be grumpy or something today welcome to the board man

Old
03-27-2004, 05:02 PM
Derek

Thanks jadeddog for the welcome.
I live in Central Alberta and have been watching the Rebels for years. Have watched Woywitka, Lynch, Gordon and Stepp etc. since they were 16 and I am a fan of all of them, but particular now follow the young Oilers prospects. Have watched Stoll in Jr.since he was 17. It's sure great seeing these young guys moving up. Brodziak (sp) is awsome and will be an Oiler soon. All these young players are leaders, especially Lynch and Stoll. Doug Lynch became my favourite player in Red Deer. You guys will love him in Edmonton.
As I travel alot, I don't post too often, but like to come on here and check things out from time to time.

Closed Thread