HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In the pre-game show...

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Khelvan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
In the pre-game show...

...prior to the Rangers-Washington game, did anyone hear Renney's interview? He was being asked about their decision to play Lundmark on the 1st line, and had some things to say about that, but went on to talk about the general coaching of the team. What shocked me was that he said something to the effect of "the way Glen coaches his team" -in the present tense-. That is, he basically admitted that Glen is still the coach of the team.

Did anyone else see/hear this? Or am I going crazy?

-Khel

Old
03-19-2004, 01:58 PM
vbox81

I heard that as well, but was more disturbed by the response he gave later. When asked about playing youth he said something to the effect of "Its a struggle between coaching and getting them experience and trying to win"

Give up the ghost, let's see the youngsters play. More action to Murray and Balej.

Washington Ice Time:
Messier 21:59
McCarthy 13:22
Balej 9:19
Murray 10:06

The more things change?

Old
03-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Fletch

yeah, what a waste...

At this point, wins with Messier, Jagr and Holik providing the production don't mean as much as getting the other kids experience. And further, understanding what these kids can do. Breaking up Holik and Jagr was a must. Youth can surround those guys. But giving Balej less than 10 minutes makes so little sense. The kid's playing pretty well (I liked how he got into the fray too). Murray's skating hard and has been getting off decent shots. The only thing I can think is that guys like Hlavac and McCarthy are auditioning for next year - meaning, the question is will they be signed. Guys like Balej and Murray are in the picture.

Here's a good stat: Jagr, 24 minutes. Wow. Might as well tear his groin.

A positive was Jamie did get 20 minutes of ice time. How surprising. But that's it for him. No shots. A late, lazy penalty. He's done.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:35 PM
NYR2

I think he said something like, "It's a struggle between coaching to win and getting kids ice time." I remember the coaching to win part clearly, but now what he said after that too well. I do remember when he said "coaching to win" he made it seem like by playing the kids you can't win.

I just had to shake my head. I mean, how else do you react to that? Same old crap. It worries me that, as long as that jerk is still the GM, nothing is really going to change.

Old
03-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
At this point, wins with Messier, Jagr and Holik providing the production don't mean as much as getting the other kids experience. And further, understanding what these kids can do. Breaking up Holik and Jagr was a must. Youth can surround those guys. But giving Balej less than 10 minutes makes so little sense. The kid's playing pretty well (I liked how he got into the fray too). Murray's skating hard and has been getting off decent shots. The only thing I can think is that guys like Hlavac and McCarthy are auditioning for next year - meaning, the question is will they be signed. Guys like Balej and Murray are in the picture.

Here's a good stat: Jagr, 24 minutes. Wow. Might as well tear his groin.

A positive was Jamie did get 20 minutes of ice time. How surprising. But that's it for him. No shots. A late, lazy penalty. He's done.
I think everyone's getting a chance to play at this point, i don't think Slats & Co really care about the wins, getting everyone icetime right now is tricky - vets get upset if they sit on the bench long, youth doesn't have a chance to show what they can do if they're on the bench - somewhat of a catch 22 . Some of the vets will be back, plus the young guys can benefit from watching the older guys, even though thats debatable :p

Old
03-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Fletch

Everybody is..

but everybody should be getting a greater chance in each game. No sense playing Jagr 24 minutes (I know there was a lot of specialty team play, but 24? And the OT wasn't that long). No reason why McCarthy gets 13 and Murray under 10. It should be a bit more equitable. And Hlavac 20 minutes vs. Balej at 10? I've just gotten sick of this regime to the point where I want to strangle Sather.

Old
03-19-2004, 03:24 PM
Edge

Did it also ever occure to anyone tha Renney is trying to position himself for a coaching job in the NHL and that's not gonna happen if he doesn't win a game down the stretch? His rep as an NHL coach is already pretty dented as it is.

NEVER underestimate people's alterior motives....... Renney doesn't wanna be the coach who goes down in flames and he's gonna try and steal wins here and there to prove it. Rangers future be damned.

And that ladies and gentleman is exactly why I'm not getting too far ahead of myself with this youth movement.

The Rangers history has always spoke for itself.

Old
03-19-2004, 04:08 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Did it also ever occure to anyone tha Renney is trying to position himself for a coaching job in the NHL and that's not gonna happen if he doesn't win a game down the stretch? His rep as an NHL coach is already pretty dented as it is.

NEVER underestimate people's alterior motives....... Renney doesn't wanna be the coach who goes down in flames and he's gonna try and steal wins here and there to prove it. Rangers future be damned.

And that ladies and gentleman is exactly why I'm not getting too far ahead of myself with this youth movement.

The Rangers history has always spoke for itself.
I agree, they won't go with all youth, we'll probably see 1 youth for every 2 vets.
We need a new GM & coach.

Old
03-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Edge

unfortunatly Renney is a bad choice if for no other reason then he knows his rep as a coach is shot if this team loses.

so he's trying to save his career and that's EXACTLY what this team doesn't need right now.

Old
03-20-2004, 08:04 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
unfortunatly Renney is a bad choice if for no other reason then he knows his rep as a coach is shot if this team loses.

so he's trying to save his career and that's EXACTLY what this team doesn't need right now.
you all should have figured that from the get go atleast i did , the only reason why is cause when trottier wqas here and low they had ear pieces sather was running the team the lines anbd all i figured no d=ifference with renney .... dont u guys wfind it wierd that he wont hire larry robinson or mik keenan.. sather wants to run the show if he hires either of tjose guys they will run the show sather is powerstricken he wants complete control of the team with those 2 its there way or no way and sather would rather mess this team up than help iot ......what a sc#mBag wish this guy would get fired or drop dead or something he makes me sick and as a ranger fan that makes me hate him even more... trading leetch..diodnt like it but atleast we got a couple picks still dont justify :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Old
03-20-2004, 08:08 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
I heard that as well, but was more disturbed by the response he gave later. When asked about playing youth he said something to the effect of "Its a struggle between coaching and getting them experience and trying to win"

Give up the ghost, let's see the youngsters play. More action to Murray and Balej.

Washington Ice Time:
Messier 21:59
McCarthy 13:22

The more things change?
why are they trying so deperatley to wiin play the kids we have nothing to lose now, sather must go he is going to ruin these kids, mcarthy more time than balej and murray that is so damn sad whats wrong with dolan this guy must be sathers lover they are hooked to each other, as long a s sather his here this team is shot

Old
03-20-2004, 09:29 AM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81

The more things change?
this actually is a change, sadly...remember when the "kid" line used to get 4 minutes a night?
anyway, at least lundmark and ortmeyer are shuffled up to bigger lines to get more ice time.

Closed Thread