HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Using a composite stick outdoors?

Old
04-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Jake5

vCash: 500
Using a composite stick outdoors?

I've recently started playing, just practicing shots/stick-handling in back of my house. I bought a cheap $10 RBK wooden stick and I do most of my playing on concrete/brick/other hard surfaces.

I've recently thought of buying a composite stick after trying a few out at the store. I really preferred the feel of the composite as opposed to the wooden sticks I'm used to.

However, I only play outdoors and I can't see myself being able to switch to ice anytime soon (no public rinks that I know of where I live). Can I use a composite stick for outdoor street hockey or will it ruin it?

Jake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

it will probably chew it up pretty good depending on the surface you are playing on

if you like the feel of a composite shaft, you can get a composite shaft and put a wood blade in it.

the flex probably wont do much cause i dont think you will be able to effectively flex it on a shot for street hockey but the weight and feel will be different than wood

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Brodeur

The blade will get worn out pretty quickly depending on the surface. I would recommend getting a shaft+ABS blade combo. It won't be as light/balanced as a nice composite stick, but you can just buy blades instead of new sticks. But if you got the expendable income, plenty of folks use one piece sticks outdoors.

For our outdoor ball hockey league, my buddy uses a tapered shaft with CCM 5.0 ABS blades. CCM 2.0 standard blades also have fared pretty well with outdoors.

My other friends will use $50 Easton composite blades, but that might last them three months before they get chewed up.

And technically you can turn (most) one piece sticks into a shaft once the blade goes. What's your budget?

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 01:52 PM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Bad, bad idea. Composite blades get chewed up real fast on asphalt. If you want any composite at all, get a composite shaft and use an ABS or wood blade. Composite sticks and blades wear out fast and are much more expensive.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Johnny Law

A nice shaft with a wood blade is a really nice combo and can be super light.

Johnny Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
Ya I use a composite with a wood blade it isn't bad, I used a cheap Easton composite for a while it was like 60 $ but it only lasted like 3.5 months so I decided to go for the more cheaper and durable option.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 02:52 PM
noobman

If you are on a smooth/padded surface you will be fine (outdoor rink, ball hockey matt, plywood). Do NOT use a composite stick on your driveway or on the road for street hockey.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 02:55 PM
raganblink

Or, just tape the hell out of the blade. I play outside all the time with my composites. I do three layers of tape over blade and it doesn't get ripped through.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
If you are on a smooth/padded surface you will be fine (outdoor rink, ball hockey matt, plywood). Do NOT use a composite stick on your driveway or on the road for street hockey.
Ya I used my Ice Hockey composite for Gym floor when we play indoor ball Hockey.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 03:09 PM
ShootIt

+1 to a Composite shaft + wood blade.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 04:01 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
+1 to a Composite shaft + wood blade.
I find that wood blades splint and crack a lot on the road.

My preference for street hockey is the actual street/ball hockey sticks that have the tough rubber blades (not those crappy screw-on blades). They don't erode nearly as quickly as other sticks.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
cantwell7

vCash: 360
Ive used a old Vapor XX for road hockey many times , and i must say its held up better than other old composite sticks ive used out doors .

But i would recommond that you take a composite shaft with a wooden blade . It will give you the most out of what you are doing.

cantwell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
LarryO

For ball hockey, I use a composite shaft with this blade. It's not as rigid as a wood or composite blade but it's a lot more rigid than the usual plastic ball hockey blade. And it's pretty inexpensive.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote