HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

THN Future Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2004, 10:25 AM
L.I.RangerFan

vCash: 500
THN Future Watch

I started looking through THN Future Watch 2004 Edition and came across some of the prospects picked up. Here is what they had to say and the rankings in their former team:

Greg Moore (10) Calgary
Reasonable Skater, decent hands, was responsible defensively for U.S. Junior Team

David Liffiton (5) Colorado

It has been mostly an average year for the native of Windsor, Ont. His play in his own zone has been suspect at times and there hasnít been much production. But offense has never been and will never be his trademark, anyway. The good news is Liffiton is just 19 and has a desire to get better. He realizes his limits and doesnít try to make risky plays he is not capable of completing.

Josef Balej (10) Montreal
Has shown good speed and shot in minors.

Maxim Kondratiev (4) Toronto

The Leafs will never admit it, but there has to be at least some concern Kondratiev elected to go back home to Russia rather than play in the minors with St. Johnís this season. He was good enough to make Torontoís opening night roster, largely based on his solid performance at both ends and ability to play a physical game. Kondratiev will be the youngest player on Russiaís nation team for the upcoming Sweden Games

Jarkko Immonen (5) Toronto

Immonen, who played a pre-season game with the Leafs when they were in Finland for training camp, was named the top player at the Karjala Cup tournament for national teams in November. He has NHL size, but his biggest strength is his vision and ability to make good decisions both with and without the puck. Heís a dark horse who could turn out to have the best career of all Toronto prospects. He turns 22 in April.

R.J. Umberger (4) Vancouver

Umberger has become the organizationís biggest mystery man. After passing up his senior year at Ohio State, he could not reach a contract agreement with the Canucks. Rather than play in Europe, he decided to sit out the 2003-2004 season. He can become an unrestricted Free agent if he doesnít sign by June 1st. Unless there is a dramatic turn of events, he is not likely to get a deal done with the Canucks.

Old
03-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Skroob*

1st: what do the numbers mean? chance of making it to the NHL? ranking in the system?

2nd: They got RJs facts wrong here, too. He didnt "pass" on his Sr. Year. He would have played, but was no longer allowed to once he got an agent (since he thought he would be signing with VAN).

Old
03-18-2004, 01:00 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
1st: what do the numbers mean? chance of making it to the NHL? ranking in the system?

2nd: They got RJs facts wrong here, too. He didnt "pass" on his Sr. Year. He would have played, but was no longer allowed to once he got an agent (since he thought he would be signing with VAN).
1. The numbers are the rankings in each organization. The Hockey news lists the 10 top prospects in each organization.

2. By signing with an agent he did pass up his senior year of eligibility. Semantics is all.

Old
03-18-2004, 04:28 PM
barnaby63

Holy ****. Do reports do any research anymore? The reason why Kondratiev went back to Russia was because he wanted to be with his family rather than play in the minors, which Toronto was going to send him down after a few games anyway.

Always trying to start a conspiracy. :mad:

Old
03-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
Holy ****. Do reports do any research anymore? The reason why Kondratiev went back to Russia was because he wanted to be with his family rather than play in the minors, which Toronto was going to send him down after a few games anyway.

Always trying to start a conspiracy. :mad:
The article says that.... The Leafs were concerned that he went home rather then play in St. Johns. He has his own reasons, but it is concerning to an organization when the send a player to their top minor league team, and he becomes depressed and returns to Russia.

Old
03-18-2004, 04:43 PM
Fletch

It's not always the greatest sign..

unlike a guy like Tyutin, who wanted to make the assimilation to N.A. hockey and life away from home, he chose a different direction - not much different than Martin Richter who got homesick and we haven't seen since. Does he have the desire and heart that it will take to be an NHLer...

Old
03-18-2004, 04:43 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
Holy ****. Do reports do any research anymore?
thats kind of ironic.. he said the reason he went back was because he didnt like the system in st johns..

Old
03-18-2004, 04:51 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
The article says that.... The Leafs were concerned that he went home rather then play in St. Johns. He has his own reasons, but it is concerning to an organization when the send a player to their top minor league team, and he becomes depressed and returns to Russia.
He became depressed because there were no other Russians on St. John's. Picture yourself as a twenty year old, being away from your family and not even having someone around who speaks your language. Yeah the kid could have stayed but he had an option to return to Russia and took it. What is wrong with that.

In Russia he played on a playoff team and gained some valuable experience. Why is everyone making a big deal out of this? I know why. Because, like Umberger, he didn't cave in to the almighty GM's who only have the best interests of their prospects in mind. Yeah Right. Toronto didn't like the fact that this kid went back to Russia and they couldn't play Yo Yo with him whenever someone got hurt. Kondratiev wanted stability, so he went back to Russia.

End of story. The kid will be in the NHL next year, a better player then if he played Yo Yo all season.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Edge

he'll be fine, especially in a place like NY.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.RangerFan
He became depressed because there were no other Russians on St. John's. Picture yourself as a twenty year old, being away from your family and not even having someone around who speaks your language. Yeah the kid could have stayed but he had an option to return to Russia and took it. What is wrong with that.

In Russia he played on a playoff team and gained some valuable experience. Why is everyone making a big deal out of this? I know why. Because, like Umberger, he didn't cave in to the almighty GM's who only have the best interests of their prospects in mind. Yeah Right. Toronto didn't like the fact that this kid went back to Russia and they couldn't play Yo Yo with him whenever someone got hurt. Kondratiev wanted stability, so he went back to Russia.

End of story. The kid will be in the NHL next year, a better player then if he played Yo Yo all season.
I agree - I've said that about Kondratiev over and over on these boards. My point early was just hat Toronto was concerned when he went back to Russia, as the article stated. Nothing more, nothing less.

Kondratiev, in my opinion, is very similar to Tyutin.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:10 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
he'll be fine, especially in a place like NY.
I agree Edge, with Brighton Beach and a few Russians on the team, this kid will adjust with no problem. He will also be a year older, which goes along way in regards to maturity.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:13 PM
Park #2

Quote:
I agree Edge, with Brighton Beach and a few Russians on the team, this kid will adjust with no problem. He will also be a year older, which goes along way in regards to maturity.
He and Tyutin have known each other for years. He will be fine, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I just said - the Leafs were concerned when he left - which you criticized the article for saying.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:22 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
He and Tyutin have known each other for years. He will be fine, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I just said - the Leafs were concerned when he left - which you criticized the article for saying.

Park #2, I never critized the article, all I did was type it. I was just stating that everyone was making a big deal out of this kid going back to Russia. But when you look at it rationally , you can see why the kid did go back.

I don't put alot of faith in THN, I was just putting the info out there.

Look at it this way, in a very boring time in Ranger Land we have some excitement just speculating about kids. I haven't seen that in a long long time.

Now it is time to go watch the game. Bye Gang.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:27 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Park #2, I never critized the article, all I did was type it. I was just stating that everyone was making a big deal out of this kid going back to Russia. But when you look at it rationally , you can see why the kid did go back.

I don't put alot of faith in THN, I was just putting the info out there.

Look at it this way, in a very boring time in Ranger Land we have some excitement just speculating about kids. I haven't seen that in a long long time.
Sorry - it was Barnaby63 that posted it, not you.

Kondratiev, Tyutin and Rachunek have the capability to make a nice group of young defensemen.

Old
03-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Skroob*

Quote:

2. By signing with an agent he did pass up his senior year of eligibility. Semantics is all.
As he thought he was going to move on up into the Chanucks system, with NHL/AHL contract. Its not as if he was leaving school to take a year off or go for UFA.

The article writes it as if his intention was to harm Burke in some way, where the way that i understand it (from reports around here) his intentions were without malice.

Old
03-18-2004, 10:08 PM
leafaholix*

Drats is a super guy.

He left St. John's because of the system on the ice, the fact that he didn't want to be sent back and forth across the country, and there were no Russians on the team.

He'll be amazing... especially since you've got Tjutin.

Old
03-19-2004, 06:00 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob
As he thought he was going to move on up into the Chanucks system, with NHL/AHL contract. Its not as if he was leaving school to take a year off or go for UFA.

The article writes it as if his intention was to harm Burke in some way, where the way that i understand it (from reports around here) his intentions were without malice.

I agree Skroob, as a matter of fact in the Umberger thread, I posted an interview done by a Pitt. paper, where Umberger stated that he wanted to get started and knew he had to pay his dues in the AHL.

After the interviews during last nights game, i believe the kid is well grounded and wants to work hard. He is not a primmadonna that some people make him out to be.

Sign him soon.

Closed Thread