HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stopping with non-dominant foot

Old
04-19-2009, 04:32 PM
battlerex99

vCash: 500
Stopping with non-dominant foot

Hey, I play for a college club hockey team and it's kind of embarrassing but I've never been able to stop well on my left side (non-dominant side). I can stop on a dime, spray, stop and start quickly with my right leg, but whenever I use my left leg it's almost like the skate sticks in the ice. I dunno if it's me or my skates or whatever. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to get this issue sorted out before next season starts.

battlerex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

there really isnt any advice anyone can give you because you already know how to do it with your other foot, its just a matter of practicing it and getting comfortable doing it. the only thing i would say is commit to it when you are practicing it. some times when you do iy with the non dominant foot you get comfortable doing it the wrong way. you have to just practice it, think of how you do it with yoru right foot and commit to it with your left.

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 04:59 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Make sure you practice doing it in a calm setting, where you don't feel like people will judge you. Oh, and start by stopping from a slow speed first, and work your way up. Good luck

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2009, 05:00 PM
hubby1746

im the same way, when i try to stop on my left side my left skate skips across the ice. But i can kinda stop. My right side is perfectly fine tho. I have to practice using my outside edge on my left skate when i stop right tho. I mostly just use my right skate.

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2009, 11:39 PM
DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN

I couldn't do it for the longest time. As I became more comfortable with my game I slowly gained the ability. Alot of it I feel is you. In your head feeling like it is your weak side. You probably cross over better with your right as well. Trust your edges, you can do it.

DANCIN'WITHJANSSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 12:54 AM
noobman

Practice, practice, practice. You have to do it until you can do it without thinking about it at all. Even when you master the skill, it'll take some time for you to work it into your game.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Pog Form

Ugh, I'm exactly the same. Really frustrating. It's like I'm scared to trust my edge and commit to it.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:25 PM
roast

Personally it was more mental for me - I could do it when I wasn't thinking about it, like in a game situation, but if I ever thought "I need to focus on this" I'd really let up...

roast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I came here looking to offer legitimate advice, till I went to post a reply and realized, I don't ever remember having a "dominant" stopping foot.

Sorry guys.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 07:50 AM
CanadaBacon

Just stop with your right.

By now you probably have trained your body to twist which ever way it needs to go to stop with your right so dont bother even trying to change it.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 10:09 AM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Just stop with your right.

By now you probably have trained your body to twist which ever way it needs to go to stop with your right so dont bother even trying to change it.
In Homer Simpson's own words, giving advice to his son Bart, "If something is hard to do, it probably isn't worth doing."

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:03 PM
WDR357

I have the same issue. Lots of skid. I think I just don't get enough angle on my inside edge. I can hockey stop turning to my left but to my right I'm not so good. I asked a skate instructor to watch me doing hockey stops and she felt that I was starting to turn to the right before trying to use my edges. In other words, too much thinking about it. My left foot also tended to rise off the ice some. Her advice helped and they've improved but if I'm in a situation where I have time to think about it, I psyche myself out. If no time, they're not so bad but still need work.

I've done what many here suggest; slowing down, mimicing my left turn stops. I've found that doing a one foot snowplow stop helps get my form straight when practicing. I hope practice makes perfect because I'm trying.

Thanks for posting about this.

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
FutureConsiderations

I had the exact same problem, but what I realized was I was just overthinking it. My coaches all said it was something like "lazy ankles" where my ankle would just turn whenever I tried stopping, but I found out that when the situation called for it, my head and body all got on the same level and I was able to do it.

I don't know if you ski, but that might help too (obviously not before next season, but since you have to be able to stop with both feet in a similar motion to hockey, it's worth trying).

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote