HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mark Bell or Brendan Morrow?

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Reign Nateo

vCash: 500
Mark Bell or Brendan Morrow?

Compare two of my favourite players here. Which would you rather have, not who fits your team's needs but who is the more attractive player? (numbers per NHL.com)

LW Dallas Stars
Brendan Morrow 5-11 210, 26 years old, averages 19:34 in ice time.
71gp 22g 22a 44pts +12 103PIM.

LW Chicago Blackhawks
Mark Bell 6-4 205, 24 years old, averages 17:36 in ice time.
71gp 19g 22a 41pts -12 89PIM.

Who would you take and why?

Old
03-15-2004, 01:36 PM
ohlund2.2

Although the canucks are stacked at LW beyond belief, I'd rather have Morrow here. He's a proven, consistant contributor. Bell's not bad, but he needs to have a few more good seasons imo.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Brenden Morrow with ease. There's nothing Bell has on Morrow. Morrow is an exceptional defensive forward that finished in the top 25 in Selke voting for a 2nd time in 5 seasons. He's a proven playoff warrior proven by his performance last season where he was our undisputed MVP, plays with no merci and is as feisty as hell. He's also an extremely good leader, especially for his age. This has him wearing an A over lots of other former captains.

I think his TSN profile just sums it up perfectly, Morrow is a compelte powerforward. There aren't many young players I would take over him. He rarely knows a weakness. He was being compared with Brendan Shanahan during draft day, this later became Adam Deadmarsh, Ryan Smyth, but I say Morrow will be a mix of all 3 of them. He has 30 goal potential and should average between 45 and 65 points a season. There's a reason he's the most willing Star and one of the hottest commodities in the NHL. He's been our best player, excluding netminders, ever since last year's playoffs. That says something. But yes, I have a huge bias for Morrow, but so soes every healthy Dallas Stars fan, he's immensly popular with the fans and coaching staff.

Mark Bell seems to make some fast progressions and while I think his offensive potential will be slightly higher, his all-round game simply isn't close.

Also, Morrow turned 25 earlier this year, he's not 26.

Last edited by Ajacied: 03-15-2004 at 01:42 PM.
Old
03-15-2004, 01:39 PM
Superfluous U

Bell. Just so M=G can come in here and tell me why this isn't even a close comparison.

Actually, I'd rather have Morrow, for intangibles and a better defensive game.

Edit: I type too slow.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:41 PM
Mizral

I'd prefer Bell personally. I see a wealth of potential in that guy, whereas I see Morrow a bit topped out. Neither are bad selections though. Morrow brings you more intangibles, Bell brings you more of a potential top line presence.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Beukeboom Fan

I live in Chicago, and get to see Mark Bell play a lot. I'm also a huge fan of Morrow, so the biases hopefully cancel out.

I'd take Bell if you're looking long term. When he's on the ice with other skilled players, he produces. Unfortunately, the Hawks only have 4 skilled players currently (Daze, Arnason, Ruutu, & Bell), and Bell is the odd man out playing with grinders.

If you asked this before this year, I would of said Morrow, but Bell has really impressed me this year. I really like Morrow, but I think he lacks the natural offensive ability to get beyond 60 pt/year. Add in he's a couple of years older, and plays with a TON more talent (Modano, Guerin, etc) and I think it's pretty easy to take Bell.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:46 PM
Cat Called Bobcat

If we're talking about skill in beating up cabbies, I go with Bell.

Just JOKING.

I'm partial to Bell since he played his junior in Ottawa. Don't know much about Morrow. How's that for an analysis.

Old
03-15-2004, 01:48 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
plays with a TON more talent (Modano, Guerin, etc) and I think it's pretty easy to take Bell.
While sure, but his linemates last season were a rookie (Niko Kapanen) and Jere Lehtinen for the entire season, playing a strict shutdown role. He rarely saw any PP time yet was on pace for a 25-25 season. This year, he's played with about everyone, lately with the MAG line (Morrow/Arnott/Guerin) but still is on pace for the same totals. Which tells me it doesn't quite matter where you put him with, he will contribute. Bell on the other hand, is a top 3 offensive talent in Chicago, who do you think gets more offensive freedom?

Old
03-15-2004, 02:44 PM
fullmetalninja

There is no offensive freedom in chicago.

I think its a wash in actual performance. But put Morrow on the hawks, his numbers go down(his +/- definately does) put Bell on the stars, and he's putting up better numbers, period.

Bell played most of this year on a line with Scott Nichol/Travis Moen. He now plays with Nichol and Nicholas mostly(although has been in and out of different scrub lines the last week or so).

I'm not dogging Morrow- but to say "morrow easily" is just simply not accurate. He plays on a far superior team and barely outscores Bell. Bell is everybit as tough as morrow, and is as good in the locker room as a kid can be. Now add in the age difference, and the size differene which both favor bell- and I think you have to admit that its pretty close... What exactly does Morrow "have" on Bell? Not Size. Not Grit. Not Age. 3 goals, a better +/-... oh and Modano, Lehtinen(didn't he have like a lot of goals last year...?), Guerin, Arnott, Zubov....etc etc etc...

-fullmetalninja

Old
03-15-2004, 03:13 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Don't worry fullmetal, I was told earlier this season how Morrow was better in every catagory than Scott Walker, too.

Old
03-15-2004, 03:22 PM
Fedz

Brendan Morrow. He is the leader of the Dallas Stars. Plain and simple.

Old
03-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Dundalis

Modano and Lehtinen? Why dont you actually have a look at the numbers Modano and Lehtinen have put up this year? Their numbers from last year mean NOTHING it is this year we are talking about. Bell is inconsistant. I think he is one of those who will be that way the rest of his career, a bit like Jason Arnott. Morrow brings it every single game, and is really a defensive first forward. He is the future captain of the Dallas Stars. He is only a year older than Bell, and while he is a lot smaller, believe me he can hit just as hard, and is just as hard to knock off the puck. At 5'11 210, from watching him, imo size hinders him not one bit. Think Madden in terms of grit and leadership and simply bringing it.

Old
03-15-2004, 07:49 PM
fullmetalninja

Man-

I like Morrow. But stating this is stating the obvious which some cannot apparantly Grasp.

Morrow and Bell are the same type of player. Both are grinders, both are not a guy that carries a line, but can complement it very well. BOTH do the dirty work and get their points not from creativity but hard work and simple plays(putting it on net, deflections, etc).

Mark Bell got 0 PP time until he took over the team lead in goals. He still doesn't play on a scoring line. So don't say that Morrow doesn't play with scorers- I'm guessing he hasn't yet played with anyone as offensively challenged as Moen/Nichol....

Yet, he is behind Morrow by 3 whole points- on a team with MUCH less talent. The ice time is about 2.5 minutes in favor of your boy- which conservatively means 3 more shifts a game in Dallas.

Now you tell me how this make Morrow heads and shoulder above Bell... please tell me. Oh defensively right? Oops, Bell is our #1 Pk'r and that is one of the few things that the hawks do well.

My point is only that if you put Bell on the stars- he puts up pretty similiar numbers.

Geesh lets see if there is a trend.

Sullivan sucks- goes to nashville and becomes their best player.
Zhamnov sucks/soft/over rated- goes to Philly and steps in for Roenick w/o missing a beat(at half the pay)

I like Morrow a lot. I understand why you people are ga ga over him. But realize that most hawk fans feel very similarly about Bell. Why? Because they play a VERY SIMILIAR Game. And all the numbers prove as much. And guess what, Bell could very well be the captain of the Hawks next year.... Its either going to be him, Ruutu, or Calder.....

-fullmetalninja

Old
03-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Teemu

Not to mention, Morrow has one more point this year than he did all year last year (and this is through the same # of games). Now bell, whom most of you naively call 'inconsistant, has 12 more points right now through 71 games than he had in 82 last year.

Old
03-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Morrow, very easily.

It's not just because of his abilities. It's that he is a contender-smart kind of guy, that you can fit in any situation and he will usually gel.

I am also flat out amazed that he can keep such an energetic level on a consistent basis and with lots of ice time. He just keeps on banging in the corners, on and on and on...

He isThe Grinding Bunny because he never stops :p

Old
03-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Iggy-4-50

I'm going to go agains't the grain here and say BELL !!

In three years Bell will be a star and Morrow will still be a cheapshot punk that he is today....thats his potential

Old
03-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Watched Bell in Ottawa and if he could get the same game in the NHL as he had in the OHL, it would be Bell rather easy

Old
03-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Bell seems to be on the Shane Doan developmental path, taking it slow and steady. I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed at this level of play for a few more years before being able to jump to the next level. Anyways, I'd take Bell because I think he has a better offensive upside.

Old
03-15-2004, 11:22 PM
morrow1005

Send a message via AIM to morrow1005 Send a message via Yahoo to morrow1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T
Morrow will still be a cheapshot punk that he is today....thats his potential
Still stuck on that anyways I think everyone knows who I would take based on my screen name.

Old
03-16-2004, 03:41 AM
Hammerwise

Morrow is a guy any team would want, but Bell has alot more offensive upside.

Bell has gotten his points on a bad team. Mark Bell can fight, plays good defense and can hit, His talent in those areas is 99.9% the same as Morrow, but his offensive upside is higher.

Old
03-16-2004, 04:21 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwise
Morrow is a guy any team would want, but Bell has alot more offensive upside.
Alot more? Morrow has 30/30 upside and should hit his peak years at 65 points. Unless Bell has 40 goals, ppg upside, his offensive potential isn't alot more.

Quote:
Bell has gotten his points on a bad team.
The Hawks have scored as many goals as the Dallas Stars have right now, and Chicago even has a game in hand. If any, Morrow has an advantage here.

Quote:
Mark Bell can fight
And Morrow can't?

Fighting majors

Brenden Morrow

1999/2000: 05
2000/2001: 09
2001/2002: 10
2002/2003: 07
2003/2004: 05

Mark Bell

2001/2002: 10
2002/2003: 05
2003/2004: 03

Quote:
plays good defense
Sure, but he didn't finish as a top 25 Selke finalist twice in his career like Morrow has.

Quote:
and can hit
Yes he can, but on those latest tracked stats they recorded, Morrow was 2nd among all forwards in hits, Bell was nowhere to be found.

Quote:
His talent in those areas is 99.9% the same as Morrow, but his offensive upside is higher.
Not at all. Morrow is superior defensively, never has off-nights, is a proven and sometimes downright dominant playoff performer and has been the better of the two offensive wise. His leadership attributes are also far better.

Old
03-16-2004, 12:28 PM
Mizral

I would suggest, M=G, that Morrow is pretty well topped out offensivly alread, whereas Bell could score 40 goals and 80 points somewhere down the road.

Old
03-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I would suggest, M=G, that Morrow is pretty well topped out offensivly alread, whereas Bell could score 40 goals and 80 points somewhere down the road.
He's 25. He's only a year older than Bell, and when Morrow was Bell's age he was on pace for the exact same goal totals. There's no such thing as Morrow has peaked out. Why would he? Because he's been a consistant 20 goal scorer for pretty much his entire career? He was deemed to break out offensively this season, but this putrid offense didn't quite support him. The Dallas Stars system is known for not getting the most out of its players offensive wise. I'm not saying Morrow is a future ppg player, but thats about as ignorant as to say he's topped out at the age of 25. This is the first season Morrow plays on a scoring line and has 22 goals on one of the worst offenses in the entire NHL. I do prefer Morrow very easily, because he knows no flaws, I'll take the 10/20 point difference if it means contending for Selke consideration..

Old
03-16-2004, 12:42 PM
morrow1005

Send a message via AIM to morrow1005 Send a message via Yahoo to morrow1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
I dont really see how you can say that Morrow has "pretty well" topped out. His point totals and goals totals keep going up and up every year. No doubt that Bell is a good player but personally seeing Morrow play everynight I would take him.

Old
03-16-2004, 06:14 PM
Dundalis

Bell wont ever be a 40 goal scorer imo. Like I said he's too inconsistant. I see his offensive upside similar to that of Jason Arnott. He's not even as skilled offensively as Arnott either.
Quote:
Both are grinders, both are not a guy that carries a line, but can complement it very well.
Morrow has OFTEN carried his lines. He's also done it in the playoffs. I think you people get confused when you look at all the 'talent' in Dallas. Talented players that don't put up points are as useless offensively as your average player. It therefore means nothing that Dallas have a lot of talent because offensively our talent have sucked for the majority of the year apart from Billy Guerin. I mean Modano only has 35 or so points in 66 games, this is a point per game player for his entire career. And Lehtinen the 30 goal scorer, has 11 so far. We have been one of the lowest scoring teams in the NHL for a lot of this season. Went through a long period were this team struggled to score more than a goal a game. It's all on Turco alone that we are where we are on the standings. the topped out thing is kinda funny. Morrow has been our best player this season. Yes our best player even with all our 'talent'. Some might say Guerin, but he scored a lot of his goals in bunches, and while he's been good Morrow has been awesome on the forecheck, keeping the puck in the offensive zone and allowing his line with Arnott and Guerin to be as dominant as they have been recently. He aint no compliment player. Like M=G said, Morrow is one of the top forwards in hits this season, the complete power forward.

Closed Thread