HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If We Don't Win Tonight..............

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
If We Don't Win Tonight..............

........I'll go into hockey hibernation & emerge sometime around June 20th in the hopes my organization will select a suitable replacement for Jared Aulin. :mad:

Old
03-20-2004, 05:25 PM
jfont

Awards:
who's going to the game?...i know golfmade is going (but he's a dreaded wings fan)...i'll be there at section 216...

edit: can't make it to the game tonight...

Last edited by jfont: 03-20-2004 at 09:18 PM.
Old
03-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Mysteryman and I will be watching from his couch

Old
03-20-2004, 05:40 PM
punchy1

I won't. I will watch every second of every game as I always do on the tele making me daft lists and notions and then do what I always do at the end of the season but this time, I will come here to do it. I always take notes after every game of the season on who I thought done great and who I saw stink on ice. Sometimes it is a couple of sentenses and other times it is a bloody novel. At the end of the year I go over my notes and then write out a little bit of nonsense on what I reckon we need to do to get to the cup and who either should go or pick up their games as well.

I started doing this so I could corespond with my hockey mates on questions I had. I would wait until the offseason and when they would come down for holliday, I would have notes to ask them on the game. Usually, it would be about why certain players did things a certain or rules or whatever. The past several years it has been right specific on each player and coach on our team.

This year, I will do the same. I have to think that Jared, after being seriously brittle after his two seasons that he was to be with the Kings must have given the impression to our GM and scouts that he is going to be always injured for them to move him. I don't mind that he were moved, I DO mind that he were moved for a player who will be a free agent this offseason. When I heard of the deal I though that it was a pitty to see Jared go, that Carter might be an alright replacement for Deader next year so alright. Not great, but good value.

Then I heard that Carter will be a free agent this offseason and that, to me, meant two things, One) he will not be allowed to walk away from us after we gave up one of the top young prospects in the game for him which means that he will have us bent over a bloody barrel when it comes to talking pounds and, Two) that we made a mistake and that DT listened to the daft bloody fans (like the majourity of Lets go King posters) who are never happy unless DT makes a deal for a player that has a name they recognize and that he should simply have just left this alone.

Truly, even if Carter comes in next year and does right well for us, we not only gave up Aulin to get him but we also will have to pay well to keep him, taking away dosh from who else we could get and also that players like Squid/Brown/Barney/Kanko/Clarke/Hogeboom and many others who we should see with us next year will either have to wait again or that they will only play if we are injured.

I like Carter more than most and still see him as a potentially solid player for us, but, I tend to wonder why it were a deal that had to happen now. I mean, the Caps would likely have kept him until this offseason and let him walk or, traded him and again, he would have been available to us for free. That is why I reckon this to be "fan pleaser" for the whiney fools who simply can't recognize the team for what it is at the time.

IF Carter came in and played as well as he did in Edm at his best, It would have given us Carter/Luc/Frolov/Straka/Klatt/Army/Stumpel/Barney as top six forwards. Of course, Barney would have gone to the fourth line but, then we picked up Cowan.
Avery/Lappy/Ebell/Pirnes/Cowan/Brown means that we would have to rotate Barney and Brown as well as make additional space for others.

With this line up, it would take an amazingly lucky run and a hot goalie like JS last year for us to have a shot. In other words, we would be, as we are, a very long shot.

Adding Carter, even if, wouldn't push us over the top. Adding Kolzig? That might have done it. With Olaf in nets and our lines of

Luc/Army/Klatt
Frolov/Stumpel/Straka
Cowan/Avery/Lappy (Cowan with as many points as ebell and twice the defence)
Brown/Pirnes/Barney
Squid or Smithson for the extras or one of our other lads.

Matty/Gleason
Miller/Visnovsky
Corvo/Dempsey
Holland

Kolzig/Huet

I fancy our chances as well as anyone else in our division of the back 5. We play a system game and these lot, if patient, would frustrate our opponents and have the solid netminder to really stone teams and the firepower in Frolov Luc and the lads to do some damage and maybe make it.

Gone would be Modry and Ebell in the deal as well as Aulin if you like but of course, then we would have added Carter to the deal. The Caps are full of many grand young netters and would love Ebells cheap salary and veteran leadership and Modry would be a poormans (very) Gonchar. He too is cheap enough and if HE wouldn't get the job done then swap him with Zizka. I would love us to have Kolzig back there as our goalie for the next several years with Huet as the back up.

Keep Roman on Conditioning assignment and let him go at the end of the season. IF you could get a pick for him from another team (remember, what I would have done at the dealine) say, a conditional pick based on his being able to play this season for them then jump at it.

I know it is easy to say these things without knowing all of the facts and still say DT is the best GM we have ever had and maybe, one of the best in the game and that there must be things we know nothing about that kept him from making the deals we wanted to happen.

As an end to this novella, Next years line up if I had been gm and able to make the deals I suggested would be,

Frolov/Straka/Ziggy
Luc/Army/Klatt
Barney(if)/Avery/Lappy
Cowan/Pirnes/Barney
Squid Brown as the extras

Defence as above but no Holland, Grebeshkov and move Miller as well bringing in Zizka or Rome or Petiot or whoever is ready.

Kolzig/Huet

Call ups would be right dandy as well.

Old
03-20-2004, 07:51 PM
Fat Elvis

Not tonight, are next game is on April 2.

Old
03-20-2004, 07:56 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daleks
........I'll go into hockey hibernation & emerge sometime around June 20th in the hopes my organization will select a suitable replacement for Jared Aulin. :mad:

As soon as you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you've lost.

Old
03-20-2004, 08:11 PM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
As soon as you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you've lost.

Unless you also talk about what you would if you won?

I don't know. I like the sentiment behind what you are saying and would absolutely agree if I were on the team, but, as fans, we have the right to flip flop on things.

IF we win tonight, I am going to do the exact same thing I would do if we weren't to have won and that is what I said in my latest novel.

GO KINGS!
GO KINGS!!
GO KINGS!!!
GO KINGS!!!!

Old
03-20-2004, 09:11 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
I don't know. I like the sentiment behind what you are saying and would absolutely agree if I were on the team, but, as fans, we have the right to flip flop on things.
If you are implying that the actions and attitudes of the fans have no control over the result of a game, then you are grossly mistaken. Have we forgotten about the Deader hat so quickly, and what about the goal song, or your predictions.

In all seriousness though, of course you are right. It really doesn't matter if we choose to consider what would happen in the event of a loss (knocks on wood).

Psychological analysis and superstition just act as a safety net, allowing us to think that we have some kind of control over the events that occur on the ice. Which, of course, we do not(he says while putting on the Deadmarsh hat ).

Old
03-21-2004, 12:20 AM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
If you are implying that the actions and attitudes of the fans have no control over the result of a game, then you are grossly mistaken. Have we forgotten about the Deader hat so quickly, and what about the goal song, or your predictions.

In all seriousness though, of course you are right. It really doesn't matter if we choose to consider what would happen in the event of a loss (knocks on wood).

Psychological analysis and superstition just act as a safety net, allowing us to think that we have some kind of control over the events that occur on the ice. Which, of course, we do not(he says while putting on the Deadmarsh hat ).

Certainly you aren't implying that my "predictions" didn't have any effect on the actual outcome of the game are you sir? Well, here is proof that they do. I predict that the Wings will go and score three more goals and that it won't end in an overtime win for us!

Closed Thread